Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will die first?
This poll is closed.
ROH 20 22.47%
America 69 77.53%
Total: 89 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
bumpin this to tell people that pro wrestling tees is selling el generico shirts from now till the day after mania, if you want a shirt for a guy who went missing years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Hey my friend just signed with ROH. I've mentioned him several times through lots of other threads. He was an mma fighter, I think he still is? No idea. He got banned from Facebook so I don't really keep up with him anymore. Where can I watch him do fake fighting?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Grem posted:

Hey my friend just signed with ROH. I've mentioned him several times through lots of other threads. He was an mma fighter, I think he still is? No idea. He got banned from Facebook so I don't really keep up with him anymore. Where can I watch him do fake fighting?

ROH mostly is distributed through their highly right wing propaganda ownership (Sinclair Broadcasting) either on one their syndicated channels, or owned stations that are mandated to instruct you that anything non-Sinclair is fake news.

Viewing times and dates aren't consistent between those, I'm afraid.

You'd be best to try and figure it out and then never watch that channel ever.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 1, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Last I checked you can watch ROH episodes for free on the Fite App, which as far as I know is Canadian and I assume doesn't have any direct connection to Sinclair.

Its kind of a lovely app, though, which is why I stopped watching their wrestling shows.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

you can watch it on a one week delay on the roh website

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Remember the last top prospect tournament

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Literally no

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Basic Chunnel posted:

Remember the last top prospect tournament

Was this the one where Lio Rush beat a guy who retired a few months later after a 20 year career.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

Was this the one where Lio Rush beat a guy who retired a few months later after a 20 year career.

I thought it was the one with like 3 non-Beer City Bruiser and therefore inferior fat guys and some Matt Riddle knockoff

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

It had the best finisher of all time.

I wish I could find a gif or video of it but it was like a running senton without the running or senton.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

There will never be a better move.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just caught up with Dalton Castle/Jay Lethal and uhhhh Castle's bacne is very unsettling

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rare Magic card l00k posted:

There will never be a better move.

That was the finish...of a tournament? In ROH?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That was the finish...of a tournament? In ROH?

It was a first round match I think

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

It was a first round match I think

That's.... very slightly less funny but still.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Jerusalem posted:

I just caught up with Dalton Castle/Jay Lethal and uhhhh Castle's bacne is very unsettling

Is he juicin’ bro?????

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I can't believe Sinclair keeps working all the marks this easily lol

Just wait until they turn face and save America from Trump and all the same people are going wild for them

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
every year the top prospect tournament is always good for finding at least one ROH regular and, like, two all-time embarrassingly bad ones

it’s actually got a pretty good history of getting good wrestlers into ROH!

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Is the new ROH Network worth it at all?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if you buy it for a year then you get to stream all their shows and traditional PPVs and all their big shows reliably deliver. so yeah if you wanna watch roh then its good but i don't believe you like current roh so i don't think it would be worth it to you

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yep if you aren’t interested in following the current product, it’s pretty useless for you unless you’re dying to rewatch old stuff from within the last 5-6 years

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, my impression has been that the library is super shallow so there's no real appeal beyond "I want to watch the current product."

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

How much do Supercard of Honor iPPVs usually cost?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TTBF posted:

Looks like $35 for non-subscribers, $17.50 for regular subs and if you bought the premium annual sub, it's free.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TTBF posted:

You can get it for free if you use the Fite app and can rope enough people into signing up with your invite code.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/981117684489379840

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sinclair are pieces of poo poo, make no mistake, and should be called out on the crap they pull, but please take discussion of their involvement in politics to relevant threads in D&D unless it actually starts being reflected in actual ROH programming.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
All the mainstream media does this, not just Sinclair. You think rinky dink small market news anchors are out chasing down leads? Sinclair’s example is just wild because they tell them exactly how to emote the story as well.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I would be concerned about ROH reading corp directives on air but I doubt Sinclair's management cares that much.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And, I mean, the dominant wrestling group in the US market is owned by the husband of a member of Trump's cabinet, so, it's not like you can easily avoid this kind of thing as a fan of this dumb sport/art.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That reminds me, is Bushiroad particularly evil? Does anyone know much about them?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That reminds me, is Bushiroad particularly evil? Does anyone know much about them?

Kidani made some very perceptive statements on US politics, Trump, etc before the 2016 election. There's not a ton out there beyond some obligatory connections to the government.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I just assume at some level the yakuza are involved.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

bushiroad is good and should buy ROH

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/706268114271342592
https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/756106973565755392
https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/756114090964062209
https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/746187200195239937

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Sounds pretty with it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Kidani's a smart, humble dude that turned his nerdy interests into two highly successful companies so far.

He also isn't even the actual President of Bushiroad anymore (Yoshimi Hashimoto is now), instead having voluntarily stepped down back in October to be just a member of the board of directors and inserted himself as Head of Content Development (as well as continuing as President of Bushiroad International and Prez/CEO of Bushiroad Music). I don't know if this affects future Observer "Promoter of the Year" awards.

He also lives and works out of Singapore these days, which is probably why he got a little panicked about Brexit there - probably had been planning on that move for a while.

Kinda funny, though, seems like everyone in New Japan still treats him like he's the boss, even though he's officially not.

As for their being yakuza connections for anything anymore, that's all on the skids at the moment unless you're deep in the real estate market or prostitution or sex slaves/human trafficking. Pachinko isn't as lucrative thanks to a bunch of regulations being passed, and they've been just about completely wiped from the idol industry by - funny enough - companies like Bushiroad and Bandai Namco butting in on their turf. I'd imagine they're maybe involved in low-level restaurant deals through the real estate businesses they run, but they're actually somewhat forced these days to operate as legitimate businesses more than as money laundering operations. They're not especially capable of throwing film directors off the top of buildings or stabbing national heroes with a piss-soaked knife in today's Japan.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Cameo posted:

Kidani's a smart, humble dude that turned his nerdy interests into two highly successful companies so far.

He also isn't even the actual President of Bushiroad anymore (Yoshimi Hashimoto is now), instead having voluntarily stepped down back in October to be just a member of the board of directors and inserted himself as Head of Content Development (as well as continuing as President of Bushiroad International and Prez/CEO of Bushiroad Music). I don't know if this affects future Observer "Promoter of the Year" awards.

He also lives and works out of Singapore these days, which is probably why he got a little panicked about Brexit there - probably had been planning on that move for a while.

Kinda funny, though, seems like everyone in New Japan still treats him like he's the boss, even though he's officially not.

As for their being yakuza connections for anything anymore, that's all on the skids at the moment unless you're deep in the real estate market or prostitution or sex slaves/human trafficking. Pachinko isn't as lucrative thanks to a bunch of regulations being passed, and they've been just about completely wiped from the idol industry by - funny enough - companies like Bushiroad and Bandai Namco butting in on their turf. I'd imagine they're maybe involved in low-level restaurant deals through the real estate businesses they run, but they're actually somewhat forced these days to operate as legitimate businesses more than as money laundering operations. They're not especially capable of throwing film directors off the top of buildings or stabbing national heroes with a piss-soaked knife in today's Japan.

Isn't Japanese indy wrestling still rife with Yakuza involvement?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The Yakuza's fallen apart a lot since 2012, when NOAH front office people got caught being involved - numbers have plummeted since then. It wouldn't surprise me if some extremely small promotions were still maybe taking loans from affiliated loan sharks or booking venues that end up having a number of extra "fees" attached because a local group owns the venue, but I feel like the rumors that used to circle notable places like Big Japan have vanished. Either the yakuza involvement is above-the-level, or they've stepped back completely to concentrate on profitable and less public ventures as they watch their membership dwindle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

The Cameo posted:

The Yakuza's fallen apart a lot since 2012, when NOAH front office people got caught being involved - numbers have plummeted since then. It wouldn't surprise me if some extremely small promotions were still maybe taking loans from affiliated loan sharks or booking venues that end up having a number of extra "fees" attached because a local group owns the venue, but I feel like the rumors that used to circle notable places like Big Japan have vanished. Either the yakuza involvement is above-the-level, or they've stepped back completely to concentrate on profitable and less public ventures as they watch their membership dwindle.

i know of at least three well known promotions in japan that have very notable yakuza involvement. it's what it is there, it's not as bad as noah was, but it exists.

• Locked thread