Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Kamurocho is just like Roppongi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

SpacePig posted:

What are its opinions on DQXI's chances, though?

If its opinion is anything other than pretty drat good I don't know what it's doing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I think the question there was referring to the magazine cover, if this one would be big in the West. I have no idea, DQ 8 seemed to hit at a pretty good time for console RPGs. I guess it sold 2 or 3 million on PS2 over here, which is respectable. How this'll do in comparison, I don't know, I guess in some ways it's now more oldschool than it was when DQ8 hit, though we have fewer big budget-ish RPGs to choose from, so this could do well. I'm glad it's coming over, it'll surely make at least a few new fans.

And I forgot this wasn't the DQ thread, it is nutty that DQ gets released here a week after Kiwami 2. Busy weeks!

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

You drat right.

By the way, Iove every moment when they mention how much of a man Kiryu is, and I'd like to chime in here with my two cents: what a man.

would you say hes a BAD-boy?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

punchymcpunch posted:

would you say hes a BAD-boy?

The BADest.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Edit:
https://twitter.com/YakuzaNoContext/status/950853526468440064

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 1, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
These Nishiki flashbacks at the start of chapters are loving heartbreakers

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Expect My Mom posted:

These Nishiki flashbacks at the start of chapters are loving heartbreakers

Oh God you haven't finished it yet

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm only on Chapter 6 and I can tell things just aren't gonna go well for my friend Nishikiyama-kun

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I just got to chapter 10, agreed really well done stuff! These were added for Kiwami, right? I wonder what I would've thought about Nishiki if not for those and 0.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 1, 2018

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Finally playing the 6 demo and it took no time at all to start the feels. Good job, Sega.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I finally beat 0 the other day after owning it for like a year. It was super good and I’m excited to dive into Kiwami now. I really want to play 6 as well but I feel like I need to wait for Kiwami 2 and then play 3-5 as well first 😱

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I finally beat 0 the other day after owning it for like a year. It was super good and I’m excited to dive into Kiwami now. I really want to play 6 as well but I feel like I need to wait for Kiwami 2 and then play 3-5 as well first 😱

If you have a PS2 or a PC good enough to run a PS2 emulator, play vanilla 2. It's a bit old, but still holds up pretty well.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Beelerzebub posted:

If you have a PS2 or a PC good enough to run a PS2 emulator, play vanilla 2. It's a bit old, but still holds up pretty well.

I have both of those things but I really want to play the remake

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I remember bouncing off 2 when it was new because it didn't have a dub :cripes: Now I look back at the dub and I'm not sure how I played WITH it

Also I like that I've learned just enough Japanese to know several phrases people will use if they want to kick my rear end, but not what they actually mean in english.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Danaru posted:

I remember bouncing off 2 when it was new because it didn't have a dub :cripes: Now I look back at the dub and I'm not sure how I played WITH it

Also I like that I've learned just enough Japanese to know several phrases people will use if they want to kick my rear end, but not what they actually mean in english.

just say "nani?!" whenever anyone says anything

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I mean, that is an appropriate response when you don't understand what they are saying.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I know "nani" and "ojisan"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lol if you don't repeat phrases to yourself like a parrot when you play japanese games

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

lol if you don't repeat phrases to yourself like a parrot when you play japanese games

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

:hai:

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

90% of the things kiryu says are "nani" and "affirmative grunt"

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
"NANI?" is my go-to when something spectacular happens in TV, movies, or videogames. Almost did it during opening night of The Last Jedi when (near the end) everything goes quiet as Holdo warps thru the dreadnaught.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I keep loving up the “you are pathetic” from Majima’s stabby heat action, myself

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Repeating phrases you hear can only be so helpful without having the original or romanized script, especially in a video game setting where like, this is very much not how people sincerely talk, but it does give some idea to basic phrases and just how Japanese sounds. Plus it's fun to just say baka yarou!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's less about being able to say it, but hearing it and knowing whoops, might be time to go :v:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
This Hiji app substory is killing me. Can’t wait to get the full game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What ever happened to that Yakuza spin off that was supposed to take place way in the past with samurai and stuff? I remember being really excited for it, then completely forgetting about it until a few minutes ago

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Kiryu uses the computer about as well as my grandmother.

...Well, that’s not fair. My grandma can type.

I gotta wait another 3 weeks for the full game? It’s killing me. Good thing I’m not done with Kiwami yet. Love the new combat system, love the karaoke changes, love the new upgrade system, too.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Danaru posted:

What ever happened to that Yakuza spin off that was supposed to take place way in the past with samurai and stuff? I remember being really excited for it, then completely forgetting about it until a few minutes ago

There's two of them and they don't get localized.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Policenaut posted:

There's two of them and they don't get localized.

:smith:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Are there any cats in the Yakuza 6 demo? Haven’t come across any yet.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sega of America is going to run out of mainline Yakuza games and the Inshin games will start to look awfully enticing.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They're cranking out multiples a year over in japan so maybe not

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well, I look forward to Yakuza Inshin Kiwami in 2024.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man, the tribute to Dead Souls in Kiwami is killing me. Majima Everywhere is such a thrill ride.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Taintrunner posted:

Oh man, the tribute to Dead Souls in Kiwami is killing me. Majima Everywhere is such a thrill ride.

I just got around to the Miracle Johnson subquest in Zero, and Kiryu saying "At least I'll never have to fight zombies again" was just so :allears:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The original explanation for it from what I remember, way back when we were going game to game and we had no idea if we even had a future beyond Yakuza 5, was that Team Yakuza are insane workaholics that they could barely hold down to localize one game let alone additional spinoffs, so Sega works to get the main games localized and abandons the samurai/Black Panther games. Dead Souls being such a huge flop kind of helped push that direction where they only care about mainline games.

Now that we're living in some kind of Hyperbolic Time Chamber timeline where we're somehow getting 4 Yakuza games (and potentially a spinoff if Hokuto ga Gotoku pans out) in the course of a year and a half, I'm actually wondering if ISHIN! could come overseas. I doubt KENZAN! (the original blueprint for the modern Yakuza game design) would ever get an overseas release unless they made some kind of PS4 HD remaster of it, but ISHIN! is probably like a super backburner thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Policenaut posted:

Now that we're living in some kind of Hyperbolic Time Chamber timeline where we're somehow getting 4 Yakuza games (and potentially a spinoff if Hokuto ga Gotoku pans out) in the course of a year and a half, I'm actually wondering if ISHIN! could come overseas. I doubt KENZAN! (the original blueprint for the modern Yakuza game design) would ever get an overseas release unless they made some kind of PS4 HD remaster of it, but ISHIN! is probably like a super backburner thing.

I was sad Ishin missed its opportunity to be localized here early. The PS4 ended up having a solid two years where like Assassin's Creed stuff and Mordor were the only "run around and stab the poo poo out of everything" games. Not that it's particularly similar to those but it could have done moderately just for being a third person run around and fight stuff game on a new system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Morby posted:

Are there any cats in the Yakuza 6 demo? Haven’t come across any yet.

No cats until chapter 2