Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I read quite a lot of Sun-Ken Rock but it just got way too rape filled iirc

Very excited for Senku to give the Tsukasa army empire diabetes

To be fair they could just wave Suika in frount of everyone and that'd be the ball game if that was their goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

EmmyOk posted:

I read quite a lot of Sun-Ken Rock but it just got way too rape filled iirc

I very nearly dropped it at that exact arc you're probably mentioning, I only stuck around because the rest before was good enough that I thought "there's no way the author leaves it this bad".

And while the situation is exactly as lovely as it without pulling any punches unfortunately, the end of that arc when the boys finally turn up and fuckin roll some genuinely reprehensible antagonists made was incredibly satisfying.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its really good

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/dr-stone/en/0/52/page/1

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's a great last panel

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Final panel is badass as hell.

I really, really appreciate how good this manga is at making sure everyone can contribute. Obviously Senku knows how to make a waterwheel, he's Senku. But instead we get to see Chrome work it out on his own, and it feels way more satisfying as a result.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

I really, really appreciate how good this manga is at making sure everyone can contribute. Obviously Senku knows how to make a waterwheel, he's Senku. But instead we get to see Chrome work it out on his own, and it feels way more satisfying as a result.

It also goes nicely with the whole central idea that science can be taught, learned and discovered on your own, and that Senku by his own admission isn't anyone special just because he read a ton of science textbooks while growing up.

Also contrasts with the spear guy using his men as disposable cannon fodder. Tsukasa hates the old world because the people at the top had all the power and treated the people below them as their lessers, and yet ends up creating a society that has all the same problems he wanted to avoid by just saying "no science!" Meanwhile in Senku's kingdom of science old and young, men and women are all considered equal and valuable, and aligns much closer with Tsukasa's ideals. I wouldn't be surprised if spear guy eventually usurps Tsukasa and Tsukasa defects to the kingdom of science by the end of this.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
End of Winter you say? Maybe the conflict will stall when they come to realise that the Kingdom of Science has indoor heating.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I remember walkie talkies always having really poo poo range

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I really like the current tone of the manga, where it's mostly goofy, broken up by drama beats like the initial confrontation with Tsukasa and the attack on the village. I know the way comics like this tend to go, but I really hope it keeps up like this.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

yea and it seemed like he legitimately hadn't thought to do that which I appreciate; he's smart but he doesn't think of everything. I'm also really glad that senku's willing and able to thank and congratulate people for coming up with good ideas since the smart protags tend to just be condescending dicks

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yeah, senku falls into the trap of skipping too many steps

he's development-minded and not production-minded

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm a low-key fan of the former village chief (whose name I don't remember). It's typical in this sort of story for the displaced traditional authority figure to oppose everything the young, unconventional protagonist proposes just on principle, but several times now the chief's shown a willingness to embrace Senku's ideas once Senku demonstrates the merit of them (with zero grumbling post-his-daughter-getting-cured). It's nice that he's not just a primitive lunkhead who impedes progress "Just because."

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
https://twitter.com/reach_ina/status/980316681586094080

Ah, so that's how Senku's going to win the war. (Twitter account belongs to the writer of Dr. Stone according to google translate)

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Can Of Worms posted:

https://twitter.com/reach_ina/status/980316681586094080

Ah, so that's how Senku's going to win the war. (Twitter account belongs to the writer of Dr. Stone according to google translate)

The ultimate devil-quarterback and star running back is exactly what the kingdom of science needs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

logger posted:

The ultimate devil-quarterback and star running back is exactly what the kingdom of science needs.

I dunno. The team secretary could be useful, but I'd rather have Eyeshield 21. I mean, they say he played for Notre Dame.

Of course, if they found Komusubi, he could probably give a moving speech to persuade Tsukasa's army to set aside their militaristic culture in favor of a true test of manly strength: American Football.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Very excited for the Deimon Village to be a third superpower in this world.

I really enjoyed the chief saying the shield was a gift to Kohaku and hers to do with whatever she please and she immediately begins nailing studs into it. This manga is doing such a good job of giving us fun science and exploratory themes while keeping a longer plot going on to give things structure an purpose.

Jose posted:

I remember walkie talkies always having really poo poo range

Senku mentioned the wire had to go all the way up the mountain so I guess he's planning to make like a relay/tower thingy for radio.

Wrist Watch posted:

I very nearly dropped it at that exact arc you're probably mentioning, I only stuck around because the rest before was good enough that I thought "there's no way the author leaves it this bad".

And while the situation is exactly as lovely as it without pulling any punches unfortunately, the end of that arc when the boys finally turn up and fuckin roll some genuinely reprehensible antagonists made was incredibly satisfying.

The arc where there's the really strong Vietnamese(?) guy who's GF committe suicide after being raped by the landlord and he kicks Ken's rear end. I really enjoyed the friendship and humour and plenty of the fights but there's so much stuff out there with those positives and without the awful bits that I don't know if I am that pushed to try it again.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

The arc where there's the really strong Vietnamese(?) guy who's GF committe suicide after being raped by the landlord and he kicks Ken's rear end. I really enjoyed the friendship and humour and plenty of the fights but there's so much stuff out there with those positives and without the awful bits that I don't know if I am that pushed to try it again.

From memory, it gets less awful than the early scenes like shoving a baseball bat or gang raped but I'm pretty sure all the women characters still get threatened with rape or some sort of sexual abuse every new story arc or so.

I think there's even a scene with the main character asking why all the women around him end up getting sexually assaulted. It's just that bad.

You can see a lot of where the humour and designs from Dr Stone comes from but I seriously wouldn't recommend it unless you skip over large parts of it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea and it seemed like he legitimately hadn't thought to do that which I appreciate; he's smart but he doesn't think of everything. I'm also really glad that senku's willing and able to thank and congratulate people for coming up with good ideas since the smart protags tend to just be condescending dicks

He came off as genuinely stunned and impressed by what Chrome did; after all, Chrome came up with that totally on his own, while Senkuu has just been using knowledge he read about that was originally discovered by others.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/dr-stone/en/0/53/page/1

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

This comic is such a joy to read.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I just had an epiphany, this is also crafting survival sim genre.

Also, Origin just updated as well.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gently caress taiju and yuzuruha
chrome and kaseki 4ever

(lol imagine if senkuu didnt do so well with the audience over there and was killed for real)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Christmas!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Senku is phenomenal and all, but I'm really appreciating how Chrome's made realisations of his own lately that have caught Senku entirely off-guard. It really highlights what Senku said before how even if he died, Chrome and others like him could still make advances of their own and eventually recreate science. It'd be much slower, without Senku's immense knowledge of how things work and how to make them, but not impossible. And since Senku's focused entirely on the recreation, he still overlooks obvious things that would make it way easier.

So good. :allears:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Merry Christmas

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

gently caress taiju and yuzuruha
chrome and kaseki 4ever

(lol imagine if senkuu didnt do so well with the audience over there and was killed for real)

the comic wouldn't have lasted a year

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't even know what dr stone would be without senku and I'm glad nobody had to find out

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't even know what dr stone would be without senku and I'm glad nobody had to find out

Manga with Senku is over

Now Chrome is the main character

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dragonatrix posted:

Senku is phenomenal and all, but I'm really appreciating how Chrome's made realisations of his own lately that have caught Senku entirely off-guard. It really highlights what Senku said before how even if he died, Chrome and others like him could still make advances of their own and eventually recreate science. It'd be much slower, without Senku's immense knowledge of how things work and how to make them, but not impossible. And since Senku's focused entirely on the recreation, he still overlooks obvious things that would make it way easier.

So good. :allears:

I agree, it really is the best. I know its been said already, but it’s such a good thesis for the manga that the kingdom of science has already won because of the natural curiosity and innovation from people like Chrome. It makes the comic actually inspiring when the ten billion percent intelligent protag gets surprised and humbled like every other chapter.

The art switches from sketchy exhausted chibi characters to detailed, buffed out, cool characters when they get inspired/motivated is such a good visual component too. This comic is so good.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I freaking love how Chrome isn't just some third wheel. He's just as much a part of things as Senku is now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Man, what would the plot have even been about if that were the case? Taijuu can't fight Tsukasa, and he can't science by himself.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he'd have met chrome who'd science for him in the background I guess

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I just wonder if they'll rewrite the inevitable anime beginning so it doesn't get that weird tonal shift of who the main character really is.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I just wonder if they'll rewrite the inevitable anime beginning so it doesn't get that weird tonal shift of who the main character really is.

Nah, it could work as a good fake out when Senku gets killed in the 4th episode.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I remember not liking Senku (or any of the characters, really) in the first chapter - not that I particularly disliked them, they just didn't click with me. Taiju was dumb, Senku was "Smart" but in an obnoxious way, and the girl (whose name I don't even remember) was, well, The Girl. I liked the premise though, and so long as I had a subscription anyway, I figured I could give it a couple more chapters. Since then I've come to like it a lot, and Senku, but those early chapters are still kinda weird to me.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

AtheistMantis posted:

Nah, it could work as a good fake out when Senku gets killed in the 4th episode.

Yeah with the right pacing that would actually be a big twist for anyone who didn't read the manga, especially if they show it correctly.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

I remember not liking Senku (or any of the characters, really) in the first chapter - not that I particularly disliked them, they just didn't click with me. Taiju was dumb, Senku was "Smart" but in an obnoxious way, and the girl (whose name I don't even remember) was, well, The Girl. I liked the premise though, and so long as I had a subscription anyway, I figured I could give it a couple more chapters. Since then I've come to like it a lot, and Senku, but those early chapters are still kinda weird to me.

The first chapter especially was a tremendous fake out, we didn't realize what we were getting ourselves into. Then they VERY slowly started to introduce the science and it got a little more interesting, but once Senku made it to Ishigami Village then everything clicked into place and took off like a stone-age rocket.

But my favorite part is how Senku is letting Chrome come up with all kinds of ideas and poo poo. You know he thought of a water wheel ages ago, likely back when Gen was asking how the electrical generator would be powered. He likely only picked manpower due to the time constraints they were under when making the drugs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
senku knew what a waterwheel is, but he didn't think to make one to solve this problem because he's not perfect.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

senku knew what a waterwheel is, but he didn't think to make one to solve this problem because he's not perfect.

Yeah, it's what makes Senku actually likable instead of a perfect super-genius that fixes everything. He's very good at thinking of a specific objective, and he knows what steps need to be taken to get there, but he constantly forgets that said steps had meaning in history themselves. He's too focused on the end-goal.

Chrome, meanwhile, is still super amazed at every single step of the way because it's all new to him, and it tickles his curiosity - leading to him realizing all the potential of said steps, and reaching creations that, sure, already exist in the modern age and that Senku himself could create, but that Senku never really thought of creating because it wasn't his objective at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Building a water wheel also seems like a huge undertaking that would've probably involved the whole village if he'd decided to do it, so he was probably prioritizing the wire and other steps ahead of one since they had other inefficient but functional means already.

It does take a bit of suspension of disbelief since I doubt Senku, especially the hard-driving chief Senku we have now, would let his two most valuable workers just disappear for three days, but the end result was so awesome it doesn't bother me.