Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Well yeah, I'm sure its for use in the southern hemisphere. It wouldn't work too well otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

MRC48B posted:

Well yeah, I'm sure its for use in the southern hemisphere. It wouldn't work too well otherwise.

I've flown both ways, it's just a matter of remembering which foot you use when adding power.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SimonCat posted:

I know people who use it. My question is, do you call out every euphemism for another race you see online, or are the Communist Chinese a special case?

Why is this a relevant question? I think that MrYenko shouldn't use it because at best it's a weird anachronistic Tom Clancy-esque term and not the good Tom Clancy either that has the sole purpose of being a derogatory slur and shouldn't be here. If a mainlander was in this thread as a goon contributing to the thread do you really think it's inclusive to refer to them directly or indirectly as a 'chicom'?

At worst I knew a whole gaggle of racist shitheads who constantly used it as a short hand for Chinese people in general as a racial slur and I don't think you wanna be associated to people like that and I really don't see the utility on insisting on that it's cool, good, fine to use a term exclusively to refer to people from mainland China in a derogatory fashion as long as you say you're not being racist about it?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Right, it's dated and come from an era when those terms were exclusively used as a short hand for "Enemy"; though I have witnessed and read accounts of it being used recently as a racial slur such as when Alyssa Wong won the Nebula awards in 2015 and the editor that called her a Chicom leapt to the same defence, "It only means CHINESE COMMUNIST" which well, she's from the US. So it seems to me there are definately some bad folks that aren't using to according to the same strict standards here.

I think your intentions are in the right place but I think the issues in your example stem from 1) a female and 2) Chinese-American winning a Sci-fi award, which seems to have upset certain manchildren who wanted scifi to remain their traditional nerd club. Notwithstanding the fact that the author you mention was neither Chinese nor communist, which goes to show the ignorance of the sci-fi critics...So if by not referring to helicopters developed in the PRC as ChiCom causes fewer sci-fi critics (or anyone, really) to ignorantly and disparagingly use the term ChiCom, I'm all for it.

The Iron Rose posted:

It stands for Chinese Communist and it's definitely an aged term but calling it a racial slur isn't quite right. It's cold war era political shorthand and anti Communist far more than it is anything else.

It was a Vietnam era derogatory slur though and anyone using it in tyool 2018 is trying way too hard.
This is how I see it, I thought use of the term ChiCom was contemporary with ROC being recognized as official China and use fell way out of favor after Nixon opened up relations. Nowadays, you could have just regarded the helicopter as Chinese because no one's going to be offended mistaking that. If someone used the term ChiCom in front of me (or toward me, as I have Chinese heritage), I'd just look at them funny, I won't be offended but there's really no need for that term to be used. That is, outside of specific contents like when talking about CIA missions from the 50s/60s or cross-strait conflicts, or anything pre-Normalization.

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 1, 2018

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to London for about a week later this year is the royal air force museum worth the trip and how much time to plan there? We were looking at possible doing that Harry Potter studio tour and hit the museum on the way back.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SimonCat posted:

I know people who use it. My question is, do you call out every euphemism for another race you see online, or are the Communist Chinese a special case?

I dunno about him but I would say 'wtf' in this thread if I saw someone using it to mean modern Germans, yes. Because this is 2018 not a 50s-era Boys Own comic book.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I recently had a weird situation where I met someone’s boyfriend at a parrot shop and said, “oh that’s a pretty Caique!” (Pronounced basically kike - a South American parrot)

He tried to rip me a new one, so I politely asked him how native speakers pronounce it. He clammed up.

Seriously, I’m a dude in a parrot store - not a New York cop busting unions in he 1920s.

-

Do you guys still hear people call Asians “orientals?”

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Captain Log posted:

I recently had a weird situation where I met someone’s boyfriend at a parrot shop and said, “oh that’s a pretty Caique!” (Pronounced basically kike - a South American parrot)

He tried to rip me a new one, so I politely asked him how native speakers pronounce it. He clammed up.

Seriously, I’m a dude in a parrot store - not a New York cop busting unions in he 1920s.

-

Do you guys still hear people call Asians “orientals?”

Prior to his death a few years ago my grandfather referred to all Asian people, regardless of origin, as "chinamen." But no, I haven't heard anyone use "orientals" in a pejorative sense.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Raenir Salazar posted:

Are you also going to claim that their intentions are inscrutable?

I **was** going to quote that Foreign Policy article CMS linked and say "China is inscrutable, even to China's government" but no, that's not the joke to make

LingcodKilla posted:

Was it this thread were someone used "white supremacist" as a term for "American"?

Somewhere ITT we have someone who I suspect is not a native English speaker white-knighting Hermann Goering, so...probably

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hey guys. Local friendly neighborhood mod here the put an end to the Chicom argument.

Don’t use it. It’s one of those terms where the usage has slipped and it definitely has a derogatory (and not just in the “but communists are bad” sense) meaning these days.

Same goes for nork and hadji incidentally. And Japs if we’re going back that far.

If you want to get mad about the mean ol mod being over sensitive that’s fine.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

SimonCat posted:

Maybe you just hang around lovely people but the problem here isn't with those saying 'don't use that loaded word here'.

Be as terrible a person as you want on USPol/stormfront/wherever, but at least have the sense to realize that it's not a hill worth dying on in this thread.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

JcDent posted:

Didn't the US cut away all that manufacturing by exporting that to China? Where will China find cheap manufacturing to supply service sector economy? Africa? I bet they'll love replacing/adding to white exploiters with Asian ones :/

From a couple pages ago but the US manufacturing sector has grown pretty consistently for decades.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nobody cares.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 2, 2018

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
AIRPLANES, MOTHERFUCKERS

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MRC48B posted:

China is in the eastern hemisphere, fool.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Nobody cares.

Mortabis posted:

If Cyrano doesn't want us to use it that's fine by me, he's mod it's his rules. Worth noting, though,

:nallears:

Airplanes are cool.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So this is happening. If you're near NAS Oceana, you should see flying triangles soon.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

So this is happening. If you're near NAS Oceana, you should see flying triangles soon.

You had me real excited about Aurora or the Texas Triangle finally being declassified for a second.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Dead Reckoning posted:

You had me real excited about Aurora or the Texas Triangle finally being declassified for a second.

Training flares, move on citizen :colbert:

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Cyrano4747 posted:

:colbert: This attitude is why we don't have nose art anymore.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Captain von Trapp posted:

:colbert: This attitude is why we don't have nose art anymore.

God could you imagine what the first female pilots would have had?

JUST IMAGINE IT

:dong:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

LingcodKilla posted:

JUST IMAGINE IT

Airbrushed panel van style trashy romance novel cover beefcake murals.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Airbrushed panel van style trashy romance novel cover beefcake murals.

Or lots of Fabio

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Suicide Watch posted:

Or lots of Fabio

I wonder if that would increase the odds of a bird strike...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Anyone have any thoughts or good laughs about Putin launching a new missile and naming it SATAN?

I can hear my Mom's side of the family phoning friends about the END TIMES SCRIPTURES that are coming true from two-thousand miles away.

"Phones are the mark of the BEAST! : holding phone: "

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Pretty sure NATO already designated one of the Russian ICBMs Satan anyway.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Carth Dookie posted:

Pretty sure NATO already designated one of the Russian ICBMs Satan anyway.

: rapidly flips to 3rd Ephistinians of the good book : But but but!

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Fearless posted:

It'll at least cause some tips to touch.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hey guys. Local friendly neighborhood mod here the put an end to the Chicom argument.

Don’t use it. It’s one of those terms where the usage has slipped and it definitely has a derogatory (and not just in the “but communists are bad” sense) meaning these days.

Same goes for nork and hadji incidentally. And Japs if we’re going back that far.

Beyond not using it uniroically, I hope discussing the term like this is okay because I actually think it lead to a productive discussion.

It will take some mental effort to shift from using Nork but that's probably a good thing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, the Russians actually call it "Sarmat." NATO called it SATAN and the new one SATAN 2 because their throw weight is insane and they can carry one huge city/mountain-destroying warhead or evidently up to "dozens" of smaller MIRVs accompanied by a sickening amount of decoys. They've been sunsetting the older SS-18s by using them as small satellite launch vehicles.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fearless posted:

No, because it will be swimming in pussy.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Edit: nvm

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 2, 2018

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

JUST IMAGINE IT

I flew KC-135s. We had the biggest, swingingest, most bulbous dongs already, so leaning into it with Conspicuous Bulge Romance Novel Cover Model nose art would have been just saying the quiet part loud.

Fearless posted:

:discourse:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, the Russians actually call it "Sarmat." NATO called it SATAN and the new one SATAN 2 because their throw weight is insane and they can carry one huge city/mountain-destroying warhead or evidently up to "dozens" of smaller MIRVs accompanied by a sickening amount of decoys. They've been sunsetting the older SS-18s by using them as small satellite launch vehicles.

Hence the saying,

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Plinkey posted:

I'm going to London for about a week later this year is the royal air force museum worth the trip and how much time to plan there? We were looking at possible doing that Harry Potter studio tour and hit the museum on the way back.

Duxford or Hendon? Duxford is definitely a whole day affair, Hendon isn't quite so large and I don't think you pay to get in. I'm getting dragged to the harry potter thing later this year and it's not a full day but is apparently great if you love the series. I hate it, but I used it to secure a day at duxford later this year :)

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Duxford is great, we took our two boys there on Saturday. Incredible planes, loads of activities, good stuff.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Paradoxically enough, both the R-36M and the RS-28 are leaps and bounds ahead of what the US has as far as land-based missile technology. The R-36M/SS-18 is only 20m worse as far as accuracy goes, but it can loft an absolute metric fuckton of ordinance, with 10x 550-750kt MIRVs and dozens of penaids to confuse midcourse interceptors, whereas the Minuteman III can do a single 300kt W87 warhead.

The RS-28 Sarmat/Satan II has a CEP of 10m (theoretically, I highly doubt the Russians have discovered a way to drop a MIRV through someone's door), but it continues the absurd throw weight trend, along with a massive amount of penaids to ensure that its payload gets to its target. The US answer to the R-36M, the LGM-118 (was originally slated to be the replacement for the ancient Minuteman platform) was unilaterally removed from service by the US in 2005, in the hopes that Russia wouldn't build more stupid huge missiles.

The US/UK is more than equal on the SLBM front however, their sub launched missiles are basically an entire generational leap ahead of the poo poo Russia is putting out on their newest SLBMs. I think the RSM-56 would actually have a really hard time hitting the broad side of a barn, of course those are public figures for their accuracy, I doubt Russia is interested in letting anyone know how accurate their missiles are.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Out of curiosity, how does the M51 compare to American and Russian SLBMs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kopijeger posted:

Out of curiosity, how does the M51 compare to American and Russian SLBMs?

The M51 seems to be much closer to the Russian SLBM (200m CEP, 100kt Max yield per MIRV, carries between 6 and 10 warheads and or peaids) than the Trident II in capability (20m CEP, 475kt Max yield per MIRV, can carry up to 12 warheads and penaids), looking at publically known data. The Trident II is really really loving good, and the US has a fuckton of them.

The US puts a lot of emphasis on the submarine leg of the triad being the one that adveraries really need to be afraid of. Minuteman IIIs might make a hole in the middle of your metropolitan area, Trident IIs will turn your entire country into a glass parking lot.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 2, 2018