Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

They should ditch the text from the load screens and just let me watch the incredibly serene animated backgrounds for 5 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
They should release them as animated wallpapers

I love the church and river/wolf one

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
No, gently caress you, have some religious cult poo poo 101

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Professor Bling posted:

I mean, it's absolutely this.

The news on the non-cult radio keeps escalating as far as national defense problems. One of the last radio news segments before you fight Joseph literally states that bombs hit Moscow, millions are dead, diplomatic talks in the Middle East have failed, poo poo's going down with Korea(?), the President has been evacuated from DC, and that the entire eastern seaboard is under evacuation/emergency orders. If you continue after finishing the story just keep listening to the radio news, you'll hear it.

It sort of makes sense that Hope County gets hit because all the decommissioned nuke bases the cult took over would probably still be targets in any nuclear exchange as a "just in case" thing.

There's a complaint to be had in that the context for the ending is so easily missable, but it is there.

I'm a Montana native and my home town, Great Falls is the home of one of the largest cache of nuclear ICBMs in the USA & world. When I was a kid in the early 90s, we still did bombing drills in primary school, air raid sirens and all. If bombs were dropped on the USA, they would absolutely get hit early on.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Rookersh posted:

The Bootlegger is amazing.

Honestly I feel bad for the Seeds. Listening to the songs/reading their works makes them out to be super broken people. They aren't enjoying this any more then the player is.

Bootlegger is good but it leaves your co-op buddy with nothing to do.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm sad there are no armed vehicles with the automatic grenade launchers in this one.

Especially if they were one of those off-road golf cart things, which are super fun to drive for some reason.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I took the repair torch skill over lockpicking, and for the life of me I can't see why lockpicking exists when the torch does the same damned thing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I played the game, friends. Somehow Far Cry just keeps getting more and more joyless with each iteration.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
If it wasn't for co-op, I would be playing FC2 and fishing/hunting for foreign objects lodged in my body.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Calaveron posted:

Game won’t let me skip this cutscene which is a shame because I don’t give a poo poo

I've finished nearly two playthroughs and only came across a single cutscene I couldn't skip in about 30 hours. Are you playing on console or PC? Even the dialogue to start missions can be skipped by hitting Esc twice on PC.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Bloodplay it again posted:

I've finished nearly two playthroughs and only came across a single cutscene I couldn't skip in about 30 hours. Are you playing on console or PC? Even the dialogue to start missions can be skipped by hitting Esc twice on PC.

The cutscene that plays when Jeshua gets to Fall´s End, that prompts you killing him by blowing up his plane

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I remember loving Far Cry 3 so much because it changed my concept of what Sniping is in shooters with the Bow.

Now 5 has done it yet again, the new most satisfying form of sniping in gaming is here.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
As a bear with diabetes, I am really happy to finally have some representation in a video game.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Just picked this up today. Game is fun and quite beautiful. It’s a shame they had to fit it on consoles so the type of NPCenemy and NPC dead is limited (there are like 4 or each type I’ve seen so far). But the world’s beauty and the depth of combat makes up for it.

Honestly my only real complaint so far - just a few hours in - is that the setpiece quests are insanely difficult. In the main game, I can do the job a hundred different ways. Bombs, traps, sniping, stealth, companions, luring one at a time, parachuting in and literally raining hellfire... but in the story quests it’s all run and gun. Mow down ten waves of identical overalled dudes. Did you bring a good load out for that? I hope so, because the draconian save system will ensure you can’t go back to an earlier save.

I brought a sniper rifle and the hunting bow to one of those missions and as a stealth character, it’s pretty frustrating. I’ve died eight times on this one alone because I am not able to use any companions, traps, environmental features, or stealth. Ugh.

Overall though I like it!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The ending is one of the most terrible endings in a video game I think i've ever witnessed.

Everything up until that moment was pretty cool though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm glad everyone is complaining about the ending because I didn't give a gently caress about it before and now I want to see how bad it is.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
https://clips.twitch.tv/AstuteTsundereAntTBTacoLeft

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Professor Bling posted:

I mean, it's absolutely this.

The news on the non-cult radio keeps escalating as far as national defense problems. One of the last radio news segments before you fight Joseph literally states that bombs hit Moscow, millions are dead, diplomatic talks in the Middle East have failed, poo poo's going down with Korea(?), the President has been evacuated from DC, and that the entire eastern seaboard is under evacuation/emergency orders. If you continue after finishing the story just keep listening to the radio news, you'll hear it.

It sort of makes sense that Hope County gets hit because all the decommissioned nuke bases the cult took over would probably still be targets in any nuclear exchange as a "just in case" thing.

There's a complaint to be had in that the context for the ending is so easily missable, but it is there.

buuut at the same time, there are a bunch of indications that either of the main endings involve the cult/Seed successfully completing your indoctrination/drugging, and the nuclear attack (or the weird abrupt end if you back off) are just the result of different forms of brainwashing kicking in-Seed ranting about fire and brimstone in the former, and the song on the radio in the latter. Which is, arguably, worse. The game can't even commit to its nonsensical nihilist ending, so it has a few ambiguous ones.

Sidenote, I cannot emphasize how incorrect this game gets cults, after the devs released that "we talked to cult experts" promo line.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 2, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Next far cry when an Important Villain starts ranting in their death throes your main character has to shoot them in their loving faces the first time they have to stop to take a breath

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The only radio news report I can remember hearing ever was along the lines of "There's reports of citizens clashing with law enforcement, a spokesperson says that it's all blown out of proportion"

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Calaveron posted:

Next far cry when an Important Villain starts ranting in their death throes your main character has to shoot them in their loving faces the first time they have to stop to take a breath

This was honestly the most obnoxious part. The Yes dude needed to be plugged in the face the second he tried to grab your hands.

Sort of like how AC kept doing those death-chats when you'd assassinate someone. Naw motherfucker, I got a dozen dudes trying to shoot/stab me. Send me a letter from the afterlife.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 2, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I actually missed the gross field surgery bits this time around.

Anyway, review: This game was basically drawn and quartered between all the different things they were trying to achieve narratively. Unlike 3 and 4 (and to an extent, 2) you have a functionally featureless player character, the better to facilitate Fashions' Souls drop-in co op or whatever. There is also a greater focus on the big bad's various dragons and their specifically unspecific psychopathologies.

However, the replacement of Far Cry 4's fort assault mission chains with story-triggering chaos thresholds puts the game in an exceedingly bad position with regard to its narrative. In Far Cry 4 you had to do all those loving Yogi+Reggie drug trips (god Ubisoft loves their drug trips) to get to a point where you found De Pleur, but you got to learn about De Pleur in those missions. The whole sequence with him in the trunk of your car is more sinister and effective in establishing character and tone than all of the cutscenes from Far Cry 5 put together.

FC5's villains (hell, most of the good guys) are barely coherent, which isn't helped by the monumentally, catastrophically bad choice to build cutscenes around those nonlinear thresholds by knocking you out and bringing you into captivity for some incoherent expository horseshit. I was literally basejumping out of a plane and moving at over a hundred miles an hour over the mountains when one of Jacob's crack shot archers managed to pick me off and bring me in.

For all its gross orientalism, Far Cry 4 at least had Pagan Min and while he wasn't much different from every other talking killer of the franchise, his relationship to Ajay Ghale was unexpectedly complicated and it added something like depth of pathos to the game. None of the villains in Far Cry 5 are interesting, and that's in large part due to the fact that the Eden's Gate cult really feels like it was designed to be as non-specific and unidentifiable as possible.

All they had to do was exaggerate your run-of-the-mill pentecostal / charismatic Christian prophetic tradition (and not exaggerate it much!) and they could come up with a really terrifying quasi-xtian doomsday cult. But I can't place Joseph Seed in any tradition, he just uses a lot of words that signify "Christian fundamentalist", but he's decidedly un-christian enough to ensure the cult can't be taken as a critique of fundamentalism. He makes reference to corporate greed and government corruption (there are even a few extremely oblique references to Trump throughout the game) but Eden's Gate has no political positions. Jacob's all about social darwinism but there's no sense of how it fits in to the Cult's ideology. They have no ideology, they have no program. They're just raiders and slavers.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
A far cry game without the gross field surgery is like an assassin’s creed without the hidden blade. At this point it's part of the game's identity

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Songbearer posted:

Clocked in at about 19 hours with nearly 100% completion of all areas - my friend fast travels a lot and barely ever gets sidetracked so I imagine my solo runthrough will be longer, especially since we never took the time to seek out and read notes, take in the sights or listen to the telephone messages.
This seems like the worst way to play the game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I have to say there was far less environmental storytelling than I was expecting - there was one really good bit in Faith's region where you find letters from different people all addressed to Faith and it's confusing til you realize that the Faith you see is the last in a long line of women to take the name before ODing. Beyond that it tends to just hick-based comedy phone messages or a million variations on "the cult's coming, better clear out"

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I took the repair torch skill over lockpicking, and for the life of me I can't see why lockpicking exists when the torch does the same damned thing.
You can skip maybe a handful of fetch-the-key segments, and you can occasionally find sheds with extra loot inside but no key. Nothing exciting though. :(

After doing the haunted house, I suddenly wish they'd explored not all the Resistance being paragons of virtue more. It makes the model re-use in the barn less comical and more creepy when you find out the owner was actually gutting people and stuffing them. Plus that wasn't a ghost \ dummy at the window. There's a still lit cig on his desk, and the back window is wide open.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

limited posted:

You can skip maybe a handful of fetch-the-key segments, and you can occasionally find sheds with extra loot inside but no key. Nothing exciting though. :(

After doing the haunted house, I suddenly wish they'd explored not all the Resistance being paragons of virtue more. It makes the model re-use in the barn less comical and more creepy when you find out the owner was actually gutting people and stuffing them. Plus that wasn't a ghost \ dummy at the window. There's a still lit cig on his desk, and the back window is wide open.

I totally missed that :aaa: was there a note or something?
Also, speaking about lock picking and keys: in one of the early bunker missions I found John's key. Didn't know what to do with it at the time. Then later, when I killed him, I picked up that key again and then was able to get into the bunker. Did I miss a door the first time or something? Why is that key there if it'd useless?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Also, if you grenade a bear, its pelt gets mangled and is only worth $5.

But watching a drat bear go flying, limbs akimbo, with a big dumb frothy look of shock, is great.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018
Ugh you can’t actually reload from other people’s saves it seems. I guess I’ll just play the campaign in coop with none of the unlocks ><. I guess this is kind of like getting a new game plus feature except minus the plus?

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I thought the Faith sections were exaggerated but nope, they’re really that mind numbingly terrible. She wouldn’t leave me alone too. I was trying to fish and her image would not shut up behind me. It’s sad when you’re desperately trying to ignore the villain because battling salmon is far more exciting.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Noirex posted:

I thought the Faith sections were exaggerated but nope, they’re really that mind numbingly terrible. She wouldn’t leave me alone too. I was trying to fish and her image would not shut up behind me. It’s sad when you’re desperately trying to ignore the villain because battling salmon is far more exciting.

You basically have to just waste a round every three minutes to shoot her little hallucination. Rushing through killing her is totally the best plan for your happiness.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah - definitely leave Jacob for last.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

a_good_username posted:

You basically have to just waste a round every three minutes to shoot her little hallucination. Rushing through killing her is totally the best plan for your happiness.

But she is my last area. I want to do all the things. This is really poo poo.

Moral: DON'T DO FAITH LAST!

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

shut up blegum posted:

Did I miss a door the first time or something?

Yeah, there's a little supply room with some herbs and maybe some ammo. Nothing important.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

BitBasher posted:

But she is my last area. I want to do all the things. This is really poo poo.

Moral: DON'T DO FAITH LAST!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah - definitely leave Jacob for last.

Alright, good thing I read this. Cleared John's area and was doubting whether to go with Jacob or Faith next. I did wander into Jacob's area to get Cheeseburger, but I guess I'll kill Faith next.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I don't care about spoilers, are there Trigens in this game???

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
lmao there's a shooting range mission with three rounds, and the first two rounds are just "here you go snipe the targets in time" but the third round you have to shoot 5 loving tiny rear end birds and it's like loving impossible

and then i got the idea to just toss Remote Explosives into the middle of their swarming flock and detonate it in mid-air. Mission Cleared

this fuckin' game lol

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
So uhh, not sure if it was how I was meant to kill John but I splatted his dumb rear end right on the windshield of my plane. Either way I love this absurd game.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Noirex posted:

Be economical, throw a melee weapon to save a bullet.

I've managed to escape plot water-boarding in Jacob's and Faith's area by fast travelling before the fade to black happens but now I need to cross into those areas to finish the hard fishing spots. :negative:

I can't shake the feeling of oblivion psychic guards when I'm fishing in a lake high up in the mountains and some cultist hunters have spawned in on the other side, face first into some bears. The game can't stop spawning fights while I'm fishing.

shut up blegum posted:

I totally missed that :aaa: was there a note or something?
Also, speaking about lock picking and keys: in one of the early bunker missions I found John's key. Didn't know what to do with it at the time. Then later, when I killed him, I picked up that key again and then was able to get into the bunker. Did I miss a door the first time or something? Why is that key there if it'd useless?

That key in particular is there if you don't have lockpicking during the escape story mission, it's just a key to a closet with some ingredients and supplies. But the game doesn't take away everything in your inventory so I was already hopped up on all four drugs punching everything to death holding down W by the time I strolled past.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

limited posted:

Oh there's a touch of that serial killer vibe in other places. In Faith's region next to the Administrator's Cabin there's a boarded up shed with a ringing phone in the centre on the floor, you pick it up and it's just a woman sobbing on the other end. I don't know if it's part of a greater environmental story, or just like the murder god masks from Far Cry 4.