Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Maybe. Or sanctions stuff. Or to reach some understanding about their nukes. What China would be OK with if the talks with Trump go well. And what the reaction might be when they don’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My money is on re-upping the Courvoisier supply.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
Kim Jong Un is so short compared xi. Short and fat! :sad:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Yeah, this is my guess, too. Seeing what sort of deals and agreements China can offer them, and then taking that to any summit with the US for negotiating leverage. Or (real long shot) to basically flip the bird at the US and say "We're going with China's plans from here on, see ya!", finally scuttling whatever global diplomatic influence the US had in regards to North Korea.

On the other hand, this kinda makes Beijing's constant whining about their lack of control over the North Kor-pfffft hahaha who am I kidding nobody with half a brain bought that one.

Chadderbox posted:

War. America. War with America. That sort of stuff, I'm guessing.

And they say my posts give Cheney an erection.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Whoever arranged the flags in the background did a good job.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Methinks those tariffs were a bad idea.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Gues chimna wasnt happy with a being sanctioned to hell. Im sure the snctions were directed at china and nks "special relationship"

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Is it just me or does Xi seem less enthusiastic in that photo than Kim?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/978942313853603842?s=19

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

WarpedNaba posted:

On the other hand, this kinda makes Beijing's constant whining about their lack of control over the North Kor-pfffft hahaha who am I kidding nobody with half a brain bought that one.

Eh, it might have been truer in the past, when the multi-party approach was stronger. North Korea might have been under political siege by multiple nations, but so long as it could rely on those nations having a shared interest in regards to North Korea without a desire for military action to pursue those interests, it gave them a reliable familiarity on how to deal with them. Because the expectation was that China, the US, and the like would not do anything that would ignite a flare-up on the peninsula, since they were accountable to everyone else in the multi-party arrangement.

Basically, the North got pretty comfortable with its enemies, and once it understood the rules of the game everyone was claiming to play by, then it could go about figuring how best to break and bend them, and how manipulate everyone without having to make any firm commitments to anyone. Partly out of raw self-interest on the Kim regime, of course, but no doubt partly mixed with frustration at the world seeming to go out of its way to pick on North Korea for ever more inane, irrelevant, and hypocritical reasons.

I've noted it before, and I'll note it again: why aren't we talking about the North Korean people as a whole? It's because Kim has become the avatar for them, the stand-in, and the interests of the US (at least, I won't speak for other nations) is to preserve our foolish pride, never admit we took a wrong approach for decades, and basically try to punish Kim personally. Vendetta is not a solid basis for a diplomatic relationship, and I think that goes without saying.

But now that Trump's bellicosity, incompetence, and the seemingly rudderless direction of US foreign policy have upended the rules, it makes sense that North Korea might be opting to throw off the isolation a bit and throw in more overtly with China.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Who cares. It's a civilian reactor and NK already has bombs, as everyone knows

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
True, I'm having deja vu of the Times in the run up to the Iraq War.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chomskyan posted:

Who cares.

A whole bunch of people, especially the idiots in charge.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
How exactly is denuclearization verifiable anyway, like what stops them from stuffing undeclared warheads and missiles in a mountain bunker somewhere?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

OneEightHundred posted:

How exactly is denuclearization verifiable anyway, like what stops them from stuffing undeclared warheads and missiles in a mountain bunker somewhere?
Nuclear weapons have a best before date.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The fissile core actually lasts surprisingly long, and that's the hard to replace part(until you get into using boosted fisson designs)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OneEightHundred posted:

South Africa denuclearized, and the IAEA and UN sent inspectors to verify. The dismantling of all nuclear weapons in the country was ordered in 1989, by 1994 the relevant parties confirmed it had been completed.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I've noted it before, and I'll note it again: why aren't we talking about the North Korean people as a whole? It's because Kim has become the avatar for them, the stand-in, and the interests of the US (at least, I won't speak for other nations) is to preserve our foolish pride, never admit we took a wrong approach for decades, and basically try to punish Kim personally. Vendetta is not a solid basis for a diplomatic relationship, and I think that goes without saying.
with China.

On the other hand, punishing the North Korean people (At least the 75%+ that aren't up on their Songbun levels) worse than ol' Kimmie's doing is going to take some real effort.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chadderbox posted:

He does that on every photo. He is dead inside.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
It's beginning to seem as if the two most probably outcomes of this are:
a) Trump withdraws US troops from SK, NK stops nuclear testing, allows inspections and maybe in the long term gets rid of a few nukes
b) War

It's hard to feel enthusiastic about b), of course, but a) will be read as abandoning SK and Japan and ceding the entire region to China in perpetuity. Vietnam seems to have read the tea leaves and is acting like it already.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mozi posted:

It's hard to feel enthusiastic about b), of course, but a) will be read as abandoning SK and Japan and ceding the entire region to China in perpetuity. Vietnam seems to have read the tea leaves and is acting like it already.

Granted, you make a strong argument that US foreign policy establishment as a whole has basically ignored the geopolitical advances China have made (in a way to the allies during the inter-war period), and the collapse of US influence in Asia is the long-term result. Also, at the same time, China has rapidly filled in a power vacuum in large parts of Eurasia and Africa. North Korean, Iran, and Russia are all very useful distractions for China since they have continually reinforced all 3 of them while they keep on gobbling up influence across the globe. If anything China would be ecstatic about a US-Iran war since it would again sap American resources with minimal costs to China (Russia/China may give the Iranians some anti-air missiles to keep the war going.

The only region where US influence has stabilized is Latin America, but we will see about Mexican elections.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Mozi posted:

a) Trump withdraws US troops from SK, NK stops nuclear testing, allows inspections and maybe in the long term gets rid of a few nukes
b) War

watch japan build a loving nuke

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mozi posted:

b) War

Why are you leaving out the possibility that the status quo is maintained and both sides uneasily keep looking across the dmz like we have for the last 60 years?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
The status quo is already no longer in effect now that NK can deter the US with their nukes; even if we had a really great and super stable genius as President now, we would already have to grapple with that fact. That doesn't mean we couldn't find a way to live with that, but it is a fundamental shift.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mozi posted:

The status quo is already no longer in effect now that NK can deter the US with their nukes; even if we had a really great and super stable genius as President now, we would already have to grapple with that fact. That doesn't mean we couldn't find a way to live with that, but it is a fundamental shift.

There's still no reason both sides can't camp the border indefinitely.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

There's still no reason both sides can't camp the border indefinitely.

To quote Cicero: "Endless money are the sinews of war."

I will agree with you, however, that nothing will change or really has changed. North Korea's put the desire for a quick end (Annihilation of the North) from extremely undesirable to near impossible, but both sides were playing the long game (Wait for the North to collapse under its inefficient fascist administration because lol if you think internal political reform's coming/Wait for the States to run out of cash) to begin with.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mozi posted:

The status quo is already no longer in effect now that NK can deter the US with their nukes

This is bullshit. Nukes ain't doing anything for them conventional wasn't, besides incur ever spiraling sanctions.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Its all going to be alright.
https://twitter.com/tictoc/status/980291791420305409

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

K-pop? Eesh, Napalm would've been more humane.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Chadderbox posted:

That is his happy face.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

fishmech posted:

This is bullshit. Nukes ain't doing anything for them conventional wasn't, besides incur ever spiraling sanctions.

Not true at ALL. NK strengthens its evil doer coffers with drugs and nuclear research contracts. They sell scientists time to other countries. NK enriches a lot of material that gets moved to other countries. NK needed nukes as a gurator that a "popular" overthrow would still result in an omega level response.

North korea has low and mid range missiles in hardened launch sites in highly difficult to navigate mountainous terrain. Aerial bombardment isnt always the end all be all sadly in this type of terrain. They could get all of their nukes off before we could mount a proper response. They could hit japan before we were penetrating the country. Sorry. Not attainable by their conventional force in any manner.
Sanctions dont mean much. Countries will still reflag to run the blockades. Sancrions just mean NK has to put morebupfront money to get the things they already hve a plethora of. They buy oil from Isis( dead)and Syria, among other players (venezuela trades drugs for oil to them) they buy remakes of many techs from china. The higher ups have loving Humvee ripoffs with american engines in them in NK. Sancrions dont work against an already criminal country with deep ties to many aspects of life outside the hermit kingdom.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 2, 2018

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

LeoMarr posted:

Not true at ALL. NK strengthens its evil doer coffers with drugs and nuclear research contracts. They sell scientists time to other countries. NK enriches a lot of material that gets moved to other countries. NK needed nukes as a gurator that a "popular" overthrow would still result in an omega level response.

North korea has low and mid range missiles in hardened launch sites in highly difficult to navigate mountainous terrain. Aerial bombardment isnt always the end all be all sadly in this type of terrain. They could get all of their nukes off before we could mount a proper response. They could hit japan before we were penetrating the country. Sorry. Not attainable by their conventional force in any manner.
Sanctions dont mean much. Countries will still reflag to run the blockades. Sancrions just mean NK has to put morebupfront money to get the things they already hve a plethora of. They buy oil from Isis( dead)and Syria, among other players (venezuela trades drugs for oil to them) they buy remakes of many techs from china. The higher ups have loving Humvee ripoffs with american engines in them in NK. Sancrions dont work against an already criminal country with deep ties to many aspects of life outside the hermit kingdom.

So what does this change?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

So what does this change?
I think the biggest difference nukes make is forcing the whole world to have a stake in upholding the Kim regime. Previously a regime collapse meant a huge migrant problem, and a sell-off of all the same junk already hemorrhaging out of the former Warsaw Pact. Now it means a game of atomic hot potato, and nobody wants to play that game.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I think the biggest difference nukes make is forcing the whole world to have a stake in upholding the Kim regime.
As opposed to the previous, present and constant stake, which is-

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Previously a regime collapse meant a huge migrant problem

- yes. How does this change anything? The sheer level of economic damage this would cause to the developed world still overshadows some China-propped dictator playing bomb badminton.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

As opposed to the previous, present and constant stake, which is-

- yes. How does this change anything? The sheer level of economic damage this would cause to the developed world still overshadows some China-propped dictator playing bomb badminton.
China could absorb a migrant crisis, and nobody but them was interested in bailing out Kim to prevent that. A dozen or more turnkey ICBMs disappearing is a much bigger problem for countries not within rafting distance of North Korea.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I think the biggest difference nukes make is forcing the whole world to have a stake in upholding the Kim regime. Previously a regime collapse meant a huge migrant problem, and a sell-off of all the same junk already hemorrhaging out of the former Warsaw Pact. Now it means a game of atomic hot potato, and nobody wants to play that game.

The threat to Seoul through conventional weapons and what that would do to the world economy is less but not way less than the threat posed with nuclear weapons as a deterrent to invasion.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

The threat to Seoul through conventional weapons and what that would do to the world economy is less but not way less than the threat posed with nuclear weapons as a deterrent to invasion.
I was thinking more implosion than invasion. Nobody is going to bother shelling Seoul if the government in Pyonyang goes poof. It's almost guaranteed whoever has a nuke is going to get real capitalist real fast though.

I don't have a ton of confidence in anyone to manage the preservation of the DPRK's arsenal as well as the USSR's was, and Russia is still missing more than a little plutonium.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rent-A-Cop posted:

China could absorb a migrant crisis, and nobody but them was interested in bailing out Kim to prevent that. A dozen or more turnkey ICBMs disappearing is a much bigger problem for countries not within rafting distance of North Korea.

40 million north koreans with some disease straina the world hasnt experienced yet, 40 million people with no real skills. Would be the largest migration ine the history of human existence and you think that somehow china could absorb this, or would take the risk to begin with....? You think china would allow small pox to potentially run rampant through the country. You're loving nuts officer

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

LeoMarr posted:

40 million north koreans with some disease straina the world hasnt experienced yet

Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I was thinking more implosion than invasion. Nobody is going to bother shelling Seoul if the government in Pyonyang goes poof. It's almost guaranteed whoever has a nuke is going to get real capitalist real fast though.

I don't have a ton of confidence in anyone to manage the preservation of the DPRK's arsenal as well as the USSR's was, and Russia is still missing more than a little plutonium.

In that case it sounds like nukes not only add extra deterrence to invasions they add deterrence to taking measures that destabilize the regime either by China or the US and probably increase the overall stability of the region.