Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

alkanphel posted:

Yeah I can't see myself using anything other than my phone for casual/travel photos. Because I'm into photography, so I would have a camera too but if not I definitely wouldn't get one now. And I see more and more people thinking like me. Camera shops here that used to be crowded like hell even on weekdays now have more staff than customers on weekends! Huge change in just a few years.

:same:

and I’m into photography, have $$$ camera equipment lying around, and I still took my overall favourite photo with a loving iphone (the subject was there, the phone was in my pocket, the big boy camera was at home).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I haven't shot any of my favorite photos with my phones but I have been enjoying shooting video clips on gopro 6 and edit it on phone/Wevideo (a cloud editing solution) a lot more than doing it with my good cameras and Premiere. I also made a lot more videos because its fun.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

alkanphel posted:

Camera shops here that used to be crowded like hell even on weekdays now have more staff than customers on weekends! Huge change in just a few years.

That could be because if I want to buy new kit, I go to the internet for professional reviews, then multiple user reviews then a cheaper price.

Any time I have looked in a photo shop, I get a minimum wage teenager whose only training is to read the price ticket and a 20% higher price.

suck my woke dick posted:

and I’m into photography, have $$$ camera equipment lying around, and I still took my overall favourite photo with a loving iphone (the subject was there, the phone was in my pocket, the big boy camera was at home).

For me, there are multiple occasions where I have taken a photo on my phone, thought it looked pretty good on the screen, loaded it onto my PC and realised that it was utter shite because there's only so much you can get from a sensor the size of a pinhead.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

spog posted:

That could be because if I want to buy new kit, I go to the internet for professional reviews, then multiple user reviews then a cheaper price.

Any time I have looked in a photo shop, I get a minimum wage teenager whose only training is to read the price ticket and a 20% higher price.

I was surprised about that with both local shops we have, their pricing is actually good (they will frequently discount sales tax, etc, apply rental fees to purchases...) and the people they have working there are photographers themselves. Again, this is a reason why I really really really want them to stay in business.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

melon cat posted:

What kind of camera flash are you guys using for your M43 cameras? My GH5 needs a good flash that I can use for corporate portraits and food photography.

You could use the native flashes, but my advice would be to seriously look into the Godox system. Aside from having multiple kinds of hotshoe flashes (Small and large flashes), their radio wireless system will control everything up from their manual flashes all the way to the monolights. They're also cross-brand compatible so you can use flashes between multiple TTL systems. They also recently announced the XPro transmitter for 4/3rds, which is much better than their previous transmitter. Being able to use lithium batteries in flashes is also a great help too.

It's not perfect but the value ratio is so off the charts that it's my first recommendation for lighting these days. If you're in the US, buy them from Adorama which gets you warranty and tech support.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Adorama is dumping the XE2s, does it still has the 2.5mm audio in?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

whatever7 posted:

Adorama is dumping the XE2s, does it still has the 2.5mm audio in?

B&H indicates it does:

Connectivity 2.5mm Sub-mini (3-Ring), HDMI C (Mini), USB 2.0

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Thanks for the advice on lenses, I just picked up the Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 from their e-store. With Easter sale plus corporate discount, I got it for $420 CAD which is a pretty good discount to retail. Cheap enough that I get to keep my 15mm. Looking forward to trying it out!

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 29, 2018

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I almost ordered an A7iii but then again I realized how stupid it would be considering I have no idea WHY I really want one besides "OMG FULL FRAMEZ".

I hope Fuji has something amazing for the X-T3 but even if they don't I haven't even started to touch the potential of the X-T2.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The X-T2 is the first Fuji camera that hasn’t left me wanting anything new. I switched from Canon after the original X100 was what I always had with me and I was leaving my 5D at home and then got an X-T1 and a bunch of lenses after switching but as much as I loved those cameras (and still use the X-T1 as a second body) there were definitely improvements I wanted. The X-T2 really doesn’t have me wishing for anything else though and although I’ll be curious what the X-T3 offers I doubt I’ll upgrade this time. IBIS would be nice but I assume they’ll keep that with the H series. More resolution? Don’t need it. Autofocus is perfectly fine now. I can’t really think of anything that would intrigue me enough to get the 3 when it comes out.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The OP is pretty old now, I would love some recommendations. I've decided to get back into photography, because I hate not being constantly poor due to bad life choices. I'm looking for the best interchangeable lens mirrorless camera under $1000. I'm happy to buy used. My top priorities are good manual controls and low-light capability.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

rio posted:

The X-T2 is the first Fuji camera that hasn’t left me wanting anything new. I switched from Canon after the original X100 was what I always had with me and I was leaving my 5D at home and then got an X-T1 and a bunch of lenses after switching but as much as I loved those cameras (and still use the X-T1 as a second body) there were definitely improvements I wanted. The X-T2 really doesn’t have me wishing for anything else though and although I’ll be curious what the X-T3 offers I doubt I’ll upgrade this time. IBIS would be nice but I assume they’ll keep that with the H series. More resolution? Don’t need it. Autofocus is perfectly fine now. I can’t really think of anything that would intrigue me enough to get the 3 when it comes out.

I’d like to see a battery improvement like the A7iii received. But beyond that you’re spot on, the x-t2 is pretty darn near perfect.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The OP is pretty old now, I would love some recommendations. I've decided to get back into photography, because I hate not being constantly poor due to bad life choices. I'm looking for the best interchangeable lens mirrorless camera under $1000. I'm happy to buy used. My top priorities are good manual controls and low-light capability.

How much are xt10's or xt20's with the 18-55 in your area? Low light performance is the biggest thing older and cheaper cameras struggle with, and cheaper lenses are going to make it hader. Do you remember how aperture works from last time you were interested in photograpahy? Cheaper lenses typically have more narrow maximum apertures, which let in less light, but that 18-55 has IS and f/2.8 at the wide end and is very good. If zooms aren't your thing, you could potentially get the 35 1.4. It depends on what you want to shoot really.
The xt20 with that lens was 1600AUD new a year ago so you might be able to find good deals depending on your country.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 30, 2018

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Sounds like my proposal for work to buy an A7 III, 12-24, and 24-70 got approved. This should be fun.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Got my full android china watch from mail, couldn't get the gopro app to run properly, but the ancient rear end Fuji remote app run just fine.

Here is a shot of Baobao taken by the XT1 controlled by the watch

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 31, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

well that's both completely awesome and adorable :3:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yes, he is very adorable when he is not fuzzy.:huh:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

whatever7 posted:

Yes, he is very adorable when he is not fuzzy.:huh:

That's uh, a weird choice of smiley

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spankmeister posted:

That's uh, a weird choice of smiley

What's the smiley for "I want to bite my baby's ears?"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

underage at the vape shop posted:

How much are xt10's or xt20's with the 18-55 in your area? Low light performance is the biggest thing older and cheaper cameras struggle with, and cheaper lenses are going to make it hader. Do you remember how aperture works from last time you were interested in photograpahy? Cheaper lenses typically have more narrow maximum apertures, which let in less light, but that 18-55 has IS and f/2.8 at the wide end and is very good. If zooms aren't your thing, you could potentially get the 35 1.4. It depends on what you want to shoot really.
The xt20 with that lens was 1600AUD new a year ago so you might be able to find good deals depending on your country.
I know how aperture works. When I was still using a D80 I probably got the most mileage out of my 50mm f/1.8, that said it would be nice to have the flexibility of a body that can go to high ISO with minimal noise as well. I would probably stick to the prime mostly while putting on the zoom when needed.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The x-trans III sensor in the latest round of fuji cameras is frankly alarmingly good in low light, even color photos can look good at 5-figure ISOs out of my X100F.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Yeah, it is amazing how good it has gotten. When I was getting into mirrorless in 2012 I thought that was really something coming from film and mid priced point and shoots but I haven’t hit any res limitations that I can blame on the camera with the X-T2.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

spog posted:

That’s just basically the consumer market slowly dwindling and vanishing from stores, leaving the pros and enthusiasts to buy from online or well-established shops. And I think even the enthusiasts are a shrinking market - not so much that we’ve stopped shooting but we don’t really replace cameras as often as before.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

rio posted:

Yeah, it is amazing how good it has gotten. When I was getting into mirrorless in 2012 I thought that was really something coming from film and mid priced point and shoots but I haven’t hit any res limitations that I can blame on the camera with the X-T2.
Thanks, I'll check out the X-T2. It seems aimed at action photography though and I may not necessarily need that.

Are the nikon mirrorless models any good? I still have Muh Brand Loyalty

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Thanks, I'll check out the X-T2. It seems aimed at action photography though and I may not necessarily need that.

Are the nikon mirrorless models any good? I still have Muh Brand Loyalty

Sadly no. Rumours suggest both Nikon and Canon are finally going to release serious mirrorless cameras this year though.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

There isn't much about the X-T2 that screams action. It's just an all round awesome camera.

And don't worry, brand loyalty is fully transferable to Fuji. Just check this thread :)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I did not know that adapter existed to make ef lenses autofocus on X mount. And support the sigma 150-600. Hmmmm.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I left my camera at a gig by accident this morning (long story...I think it is safe but I am still low key freaking out since I won’t know until Tuesday) and had to use my X-T1 for Easter photos of my daughter rather than the X-T2. I hadn’t realized how big the improvements were until having to use it as a primary body. Usually I will use the X-T1 as a second body with a 9mm f2.8 lens on so I don’t need to bother much with focus. I was using the 50-140 and the interface was annoying, I kept reaching for the joystick (biiiig issue not having it now that I am used to it), was trying to push in the wheel, lots of differences that really showed how much they improved the X-T2. I was able to get good focus with her riding a scooter so continuous af was doing well but man I miss my x-t2 and hope it is safe where it is.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
So I recently picked up a Fujinon 35mm f/2 lens and used it on a shoot yesterday. OMG it was so much better about getting focus compared to using my 16-55 at the same range. Missed the 55mm end at times but maybe I'll just get the 50mm to fill that role. Now I just need a zoom to go past that for my concert stuff.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

You could get the 50 and the zoom in one lens with the 50-140. Not as wide as the f2 or the 56 1.2 (fantastic lens, highly recommended...probably their best lens for me) but 2.8 constant aperture, decent reach, excellent iq. Not cheap but it’s the only game in Fuji town for that range with a wide aperture and for concerts it does very well. Not small of course, if that’s an issue.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
What’s the Fuji XF lens that has the ‘magic’ inside? The 35mm 1.4?

I seem to remember folks going on and on about one lens in particular for a while. I just picked up a cheap XT-10 body and will probably start by grabbing a normal-ish prime. I’m surprised how many options they have in the 23mm-35mm range!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

frogbs posted:

The 56mm 1.2 is insanely good. Along with the 23mm 1.4.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The 23mm 1.4 has it. I love my 35mm 1.4 to death, it too has it. It was the lens that had me start drinking the Fuji kool-aid. I haven't used it but people here fawn over the 56 and 90 primes. The f/2 variants of the 35mm and 23mm are darn good lenses but don't quite have the same level of instant "oooo" and "aaaahh" that the 1.4s seem to garner.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I’ve said it before but I could live with only the 23 1.4 and 56 1.2 forever and be happy. They are probably the two favorite lenses I’ve had through my whole life including the fancy zooms I had with my 5D. I think that overall the 56 edges out the 23 a tiny bit. Definitely some ground up fairies in the glass or something.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

frogbs posted:

I seem to remember folks going on and on about one lens in particular for a while. I just picked up a cheap XT-10 body and will probably start by grabbing a normal-ish prime. I’m surprised how many options they have in the 23mm-35mm range!

They all have magic, just skip the 18mm. Even the kit has some magic. The 56mm has level 99 magic.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

frogbs posted:

90mm f/2. Just....special.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I found the 18-55 to be good, and the 27 to be OK, but I wouldn't consider either to be magic. The 18 was poor. The 35/1.4 was great and my favorite lens while I had my Fuji system. It's kind of a high (impossible?) standard, but the non-digital lenses I'm comparing these to are the Nikkor 28 and 105, Contax G 28 and 45, and the Mamiya 80.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 2, 2018

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

frogbs posted:

I'd say that the 23/1.4, 35/1.4, and 56/1.2 have the magic, but if there's one lens that's commonly said to have the magic, it's the 35/1.4.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

For 1000, I would get a new XE2s from Adorama for $350 (pay thru paypal/chase freedom to get 5% off), and spend the rest on a 18-55mm and a pancake lens. You probably can shop around a get both used with rest of the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

whatever7 posted:

For 1000, I would get a new XE2s from Adorama for $350 (pay thru paypal/chase freedom to get 5% off), and spend the rest on a 18-55mm and a pancake lens. You probably can shop around a get both used with rest of the money.

I’ll be listing my 18-55 soon in the for sale thread. Mostly using primes these days.