Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
So can you kind folks at HBS "release" Battletech today as an April Fools' joke, only the joke is that you're actually releasing it today for real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Coldforge posted:

So can you kind folks at HBS "release" Battletech today as an April Fools' joke, only the joke is that you're actually releasing it today for real?

At least an open beta :(
Maybe 4 urban mechs vs. 4 atlases?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Psion posted:

I can guarantee you that’s incorrect, Rygar. There is no universal agreement on anything in this entire franchise.

Except maybe that Dark Age was bad. Although you never know ...someone out there is probably writing a passionate defense of it right this minute.

Dark Age/Age of Destruction the game was pretty terrible. The early fiction for it was also terrible.

Dark Age now is probably an acquired taste, but I love it.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
I've got to admit. I kind of want to run a campaign where the players are test pilots for an agri mech factory that is branching out into combat mech manufacture.

And it seems like Dark Age would suit that well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Coldforge posted:

I never watch streamers and as bad as Cohh is at playing the game, I can't stop watching. I need this game in my life right now and I don't know if I can wait 3 1/2 weeks.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
I like the way he starts day 2 of his BT streaming, stating his philosophy of going into the game fresh and learning things about it the hard way.

I've come to like the guy, at least from what I've seen in this stream.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Cohh is playing fast and loose and as much as I occasionally cringe and wish I could seize the controls it is fun to watch.

A demolisher? whats that? :confused:
*Demolisher blows a large hole in the side of his BJ with one of its twin AC/20 shots*
TWO AC TWENTIES?! Oh my god.... :stonk:
Step on it, NOW! :black101:

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Phosphor's Lp prompted me to start playing a mekhq campaign and served to really get me excited for hbs battletech. Like others have said, it looks a lot like shadowrun returns, a little limited and not 100% a 1 to 1 representation of the tabletop game. But I fukken loved returns bc it got the spirit of its source material and made a legit fun game. Everything I've seen gives me high hopes for hbs battletech and I can only hope that it means we get more down the line.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
battlete.cx

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I like how fast the really early missions are, presumably they will get more complex but it's good that you can just throw yourself at a bunch of light mechs and tanks to get into the swing of things.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Psion posted:

Except maybe that Dark Age was bad. Although you never know ...someone out there is probably writing a passionate defense of it right this minute.

It's me, I'm going to write a passionate defense of it right now:

I liked some of the minis.

It was a terrible trash fire otherwise, though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm proud of the art I did for tro3145/3150

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Xarbala posted:

I'm proud of the art I did for tro3145/3150

Which ones are yours? I love most of the designs in those books.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Strobe posted:

Which ones are yours? I love most of the designs in those books.

Sarath, kheper, Uraeus, Leonidas ba, Calliope, agrotera, scourge, ogre ba, dragon ii, Juliano, and I drew the new art for the samurai mechs but I didn't get to diverge much from the minis with those. Also some other stuff but that's what I remember right off the top of my head.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Cohh is playing fast and loose and as much as I occasionally cringe and wish I could seize the controls it is fun to watch.

*Demolisher blows a large hole in the side of his BJ with one of its twin AC/20 shots*

I know what you mean, the fact he keep using his Blackjack as the point man of his lance is driving me insane, he's must of lost that thing 4 or 5 at this point.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You drew like half of TRO 3145 FWL. :swoon: I love those things.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Strobe posted:

You drew like half of TRO 3145 FWL. :swoon: I love those things.

Thank you, I really appreciate that. Most people will never give my stuff a second look because it's set in a time period that everybody wishes didn't exist.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Xarbala posted:

Thank you, I really appreciate that. Most people will never give my stuff a second look because it's set in a time period that everybody wishes didn't exist.

Well, the Dark Ages are the only period in BattleTech past the 1st Succession War where the Free Worlds League is not either Incompetent, Evil, or Both, so I take what I can get.

The unit designs being sick as hell is a major draw, too.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Just found out the Crab isn’t in game, pre-order cancelled! But in all seriousness, I’m kind of sad the Crab and Thunderbolt didn’t make the roster, they’re two of my favorite mechs. :smith:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Back Hack posted:

Just found out the Crab isn’t in game, pre-order cancelled! But in all seriousness, I’m kind of sad the Crab and Thunderbolt didn’t make the roster, they’re two of my favorite mechs. :smith:
If this is true true, I wonder if the response to people pointing out the Crab prominently featured in the intro will be "Makes you miss the glory days of the Star League, right?"

Hopefully there will indeed be Crab Battle for launch, rather than something something in success hopeful after the fact.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
the King Crab is in this game so all is fine and forgiven

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Back Hack posted:

The thunderbolt is definitely in the game. Also we're all hoping the MWO mechs not yet included either show up as expansion material and/or modded in by players (someone already whipped up primitive Rifleman and Warhammer mods for the beta).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Psion posted:

Its also supposed to be stupidly fantastically rare though, according to a dev. :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Psion posted:

:neckbeard:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The thunderbolt is definitely in the game. Also we're all hoping the MWO mechs not yet included either show up as expansion material and/or modded in by players (someone already whipped up primitive Rifleman and Warhammer mods for the beta).
This is also great because I think circular missile launcher shoulders look cool. See also, past me's long since lost Hatchetman toy. With real Shoot Them In The Dick ejector seat action.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't understand why some of the unseen are in and some aren't. Whatever, IANAL. :shrug:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Bubbacub posted:

I don't understand why some of the unseen are in and some aren't. Whatever, IANAL. :shrug:

The ones that aren't are all from Macross. The ones that are, are from properties that were not controlled by Harmony Gold (allegedly).

They're also different from the initial incarnations, so they're not technically Unseen in the first place. HG is currently (almost definitely) losing a court case about that.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

rt4 posted:

battlete.cx

What is that Atlas doing to its coolant port?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Xarbala posted:

It's why I'm trying as hard as I can to use as many of your designs post timeskip as I can.

I will make people look at your art if it kills me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's why I'm trying as hard as I can to use as many of your designs post timeskip as I can.

:unsmith:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

HBS Should hire you to do versions of IS Mechs that haven't gotten the MWO Treatment so they can "In Success" not be reliant on PGI for mech models.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Harmony Gold basically is trying to claim that no matter what HBS does, it will still look like "their stuff". So, basically copyrighting all giant robits.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

well it's by far some of the better TRO work so it's a win-win, hopefully nobody has to get killed for it :v:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

SirFozzie posted:

Harmony Gold basically is trying to claim that no matter what HBS does, it will still look like "their stuff". So, basically copyrighting all giant robits.

They can go gently caress themselves, it looks like they don't even own the US specific type of Macross license they're claiming copy-right infringement against if the latest series of court cases is anything to go by. Which mean they've been wrongfully suing people for years.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 2, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I just finished my first replay of Shadowrun: Dragonfall and I'm completely blown away by how short the credits are. It took like a minute to read every name. Unbelievable what great stuff HBS does with so few people; I'd guess that they've expanded since then, but who knows?

It's really refreshing though. I always sit through the credits after I finish a game, it's a good time to turn the game over in my head and learn who's making cool stuff. But man, some of the games I have played recently have had credits that rolled for over a half hour. I love seeing that you can still make great games without a staff of 2000 people plus a studio with offices in every continent backing you.

SirFozzie posted:

Further evidenced by the fact that in its latest suit, HG claims ownership of the Atlas and a bunch of other designs that have always been Battletech-specific, and explicitly thereafter spells out that they believe any humanoid war machine design falls under their copyrights. I assume that this is just posturing so that when a judge meets at some fictitious "middle ground" they still get exactly what they wanted. Or who knows, maybe they really are crazy, and the only reason they haven't gone after Pacific Rim is because they don't have the megalawyers they'd need for that.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

HG somehow manages to be even worse than Games Workshop trying to trademark "Space Marine" and "Imperial Guard", gently caress these people.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This stuff is great for the people watching who don't know what Battletech is though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

"Oh dear I've done a very bad thing, oh man"

:allears:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Crab is totally in MWO so it may show up in this game eventually.

Xarbala posted:

Oh man you do some clean lines, what did you use for those illustrations?

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 2, 2018

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does the Battletech setting have subfeudal domains and “knight” mechwarriors? The Federated Suns is described that way, but their units have mostly Napoleonic style names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

Does the Battletech setting have subfeudal domains and “knight” mechwarriors?

Yes and yes.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Knights_of_the_Inner_Sphere