Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

the guy literally exploded at the cast of the last wake up girls season for lightly making fun of him and not having him as director
Yeah, I remember this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

He also did several blog posts of basically your typical male celeb #MeToo hot take

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Wark Say posted:

I swear (I may have mis-remembered) I read somewhere that he was working on something like Wake Up, Girls! yet again and I was like "Dude, no". Oh well.

DROP OUT OF LIFE WITH BONG IN HAND
Follow the smoke towards the riff-filled land :rock:

Guess I'm listening to all of Dopesmoker again today.

:rock:PROCEEDS THE WEEDIAN:rock:
:rock:NAZARETH:rock:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Motto posted:

He also did several blog posts of basically your typical male celeb #MeToo hot take
Read those, too! Was a little concerned when a couple of friends mentioned him in a conversation but the way one of them did it was like "Man, I'm so glad I dodged that bullet of working with the guy".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eela6 posted:

Guess I'm listening to all of Dopesmoker again today.

:rock:PROCEEDS THE WEEDIAN:rock:
:rock:NAZARETH:rock:

As good a time as any! :black101:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

dogsicle posted:

let the 90s die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCiDuy4mrWU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

running away from the 90s

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

its always the 90s in some reference frame

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

VostokProgram posted:

its always the 90s in some reference frame
I don't see the puffy wardrobe anymore, unfortunately. :(

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So Toonami aired the first episode of FLCL Alternative, if no one has mentioned that here.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/01/flcl-alternative-stealth-debuted-on-toonami-for-april-fools-day

e: It was. Regardless, it was awesome and I am so hyped for more.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 1, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Horse Girls is very progressive

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i thought the first episode of flcl was pretty good. it felt more subdued than the original but maybe thats me misremembering the initial craziness to what it escalated to

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

There's something metaphorically fitting and somewhat distressing when comparing horses to anime/idol girls. It's pretty :smith: once you think about it; the training, use, and discard life-cycle.

That said, I've been made dumber by watching one episode of Uma Musume. The sound effects and shot composition were p good though, and they certainly did their homework with the characterizations, ...horseifications? whatever.

For those staying to watch hopefully it remains a simple lighthearted sports idol magical horse girl anime with less of male characters wanting to gently caress the horses, but yea I'm out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Homura and Sickle posted:

i thought the first episode of flcl was pretty good. it felt more subdued than the original but maybe thats me misremembering the initial craziness to what it escalated to

Also the ED is very good and cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5rskJ1l3V0

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i used to have a lil respect for yamakan but then he turned out to be both mediocre and abusive has hell

also he was like the first to jump on to the post-fukushima theme but its clear that anno and shinkai were much much better at dealing with that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the other hand he did give us the immortal exchange "idols are like 9/11' speech, so

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AnacondaHL posted:

There's something metaphorically fitting and somewhat distressing when comparing horses to anime/idol girls. It's pretty :smith: once you think about it; the training, use, and discard life-cycle.

That said, I've been made dumber by watching one episode of Uma Musume. The sound effects and shot composition were p good though, and they certainly did their homework with the characterizations, ...horseifications? whatever.

For those staying to watch hopefully it remains a simple lighthearted sports idol magical horse girl anime with less of male characters wanting to gently caress the horses, but yea I'm out.

I was wondering why it seemed to have pretty high production values then Cygames turned up in the credits

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sakurazuka posted:

I was wondering why it seemed to have pretty high production values then Cygames turned up in the credits

Someone in their company really wants their anime to have high-production values is still my assumption, and they make enough money with their mobage to basically push that through

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Allarion posted:

Someone in their company really wants their anime to have high-production values is still my assumption, and they make enough money with their mobage to basically push that through

iirc they're actually legit as a company trying to use their resources to prop up their animation studio as a really big thing

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i havent watched it, but pa works does some high quality stuff. it usually has little to do with how much money that member of the production committee funnels in

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I just realized I never watched the original FLCL in Japanese so Haruko's voice sounds completely wrong and it's very distracting.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 2, 2018

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lol

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sindai posted:

I just realized I never watched the original FLCL in Japanese so Haruko's voice sounds completely wrong and it's very distracting.
And now she's gonna have two different voice actresses.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

And now she's gonna have two different voice actresses.

Eh?

I'm pretty sure they got Mayumi Shintani back for the new one. I miss something?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

Eh?

I'm pretty sure they got Mayumi Shintani back for the new one. I miss something?
For Progressive they got Megumi MOTHERFUCKING Hayashibara to voice Haruko.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

For Progressive they got Megumi MOTHERFUCKING Hayashibara to voice Haruko.

Well, isn't that interesting.

Finally did some digging, and Megumi Hayashibara's playing "Haruha Raharu", which was the alias that Haruko apparently used when dealing with Amarao. And if there wasn't a VA switchup when Mayumi Shintani is coming back for the other one, that would barely draw a huh. But in context...

I'm not sure they're the same Haruko. I mean, I would not put it past Haruko to do some identity theft in pursuit of ultimate power.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK9aXTnzOt8

great

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, isn't that interesting.

Finally did some digging, and Megumi Hayashibara's playing "Haruha Raharu", which was the alias that Haruko apparently used when dealing with Amarao. And if there wasn't a VA switchup when Mayumi Shintani is coming back for the other one, that would barely draw a huh. But in context...

I'm not sure they're the same Haruko. I mean, I would not put it past Haruko to do some identity theft in pursuit of ultimate power.
Well, how 'bout that. :crossarms:

I think the guys from Production I.G might be up to snuff, then. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, not entirely anime-related but this is Eela's fault!

Just kidding. loving love this record. This is the third time I buy it. :rock:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Well, how 'bout that. :crossarms:

I think the guys from Production I.G might be up to snuff, then. :)

She was also referred to as Raharu once in Alternative E1, but she's credited as Haruhara.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

What is this one from?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Gegege no Kitaro (2018)

it's on CR

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

She was also referred to as Raharu once in Alternative E1, but she's credited as Haruhara.

Yeah, Alternative's got Haruko Haruhara, played by the same VA as in the original. It's progressive that's doing the other angle.

And Lupin looks cartoonier than the last couple of them, at least from the OP. Doesn't quite work for me as a whole at first glance, doesn't feel like it goes for the full mini-narrative route, but it gets close enough it stands out that it doesn't go that way.

Stylish, though. Definitely going to at least check it out if I have the time.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Wark Say posted:

Also, not entirely anime-related but this is Eela's fault!

Just kidding. loving love this record. This is the third time I buy it. :rock:
'fault?'

DROP OUT OF LIFE WITH BONG IN HAND
FOLLOW THE SMOKE TO THE RIFF-FILLED LAND

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/980800180990726144?s=19

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Crunchy has Lupin, begins tomorrow at 11:30 AM Pacific

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
anyone in this thread smoke weed

e: lol thought we were in the chat thread

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

this and the chat thread are Christian threads thank you very much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Expect My Mom posted:

I'll have you know that winners don't do drugs!

• Locked thread