Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

"He expected a pardon. You won't believe what he received instead!"

Oh, don't forget the link!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/01/us/charles-jared-kushner-white-house-real-estate.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
look this is on topic ok

https://twitter.com/ikebarinholtz/status/980191021974765568?s=21

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Serrath posted:

I’m no friend of drug companies but this is really misleading information. Aspirin and xeralto are completely different classes of medications and are taken for different reasons (some of which overlap but the mechanism of action remains independent of each other)

PHARMA SHILL SPOTTED

Please, please don't trust goons on medical information. Novel anticoagulants like pradaxa, xarelto, and eliquis are a significant upgrade in efficacy and safety from warfarin (prior standard of care in most indications), which is really old and lovely. It's possible to criticize pharma/doctors and the role they play in our flawed healthcare system without assuming they're intentionally deceiving and exploiting patients 100% of the time. The absolute % change is trivial, but the relative % change is significant especially when the possible outcome is stroking out.

In an ideal world the companies wouldn't be able to take 6% price increases every year and the lack of differentiation between the three noacs would drive the price down without pbms acting as for-profit intermediary. The EU is super effective at price benchmarking primary care drugs to keep costs low where a benefit over SoC exists, but isn't a deal breaker in terms of total cost of care.

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 2, 2018

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Fulchrum posted:

I could watch a whole half hour of Archer trying to talk to toddlers as if they were grown ups.

Poor guy will never truly know if that's really the dog's name. :ohdear:

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 2, 2018

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
:vince:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When is America going to get it's act together and vote for a real leader who gets things done? Someone like Randall Flagg.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

DancingShade posted:

When is America going to get it's act together and vote for a real leader who gets things done? Someone like Randall Flagg.

It could be sooner than you think!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

KickerOfMice posted:

John Oliver on our immigration courts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fB0GBwJ2QA\

PIZZA!

:3: :smith:

With results like that Ttump's wall should be the front gate of Auschwitz "Now deporting to death, gate one"

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DancingShade posted:

I've been waiting for the crimson king but instead we got an orange president.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/980762392303980544

"Mexico, the filthy land of murderers and rapists, is also a utopian world of complete state authority and perfect rule of law" - old beast lunatic

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

WeAreTheRomans posted:

"Mexico, the filthy land of murderers and rapists, is also a utopian world of complete state authority and perfect rule of law" - old beast lunatic

I want to know how their border laws work and ours don't considering everyone under the sun can enter Mexico and no one cares, but if they enter the US they get detained and deported

I'm getting all racism'd out. All I can muster to president pants shitter when he does this stuff is "jesus, not again, just shut up"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Wait, is he admitting that we have better border laws than USA? I'm trying to make sense of his word salad. What's the over/under for him deleting this tweet to re-tweet something slightly more coherent / #MAGA!-centric?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Wark Say posted:

Wait, is he admitting that we have better border laws than USA? I'm trying to make sense of his word salad. What's the over/under for him deleting this tweet to re-tweet something slightly more coherent / #MAGA!-centric?

:umberto:

Mexico is a weak state who cannot control itself, but it's also a strong state with better borders than us so we must reject it for its weakness but embrace its strengths. Yes, this is contradictory as hell, no, Trump and his sycophants won't care.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Wark Say posted:

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Wark Say posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/980766121983987712

It's more like confetti, than salad, in my opinion.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We gotta get us some of those border laws that prevent people from leaving the country

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

KickerOfMice posted:

More like someone pissed on some stationary.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
My only comfort whenever I read one of his wordbarf tweets about DACA is twofold: 1) that he doesn't really know what DACA is and 2) that no one except his devoted MAGAchuds believe anything he says at this point.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
The caravan has painted the train red so it will go faster, and themselves yellow so they will be more DACA.
:goonsay:

It is a warhammer40K joke. :downsrim:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 2, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

skeleton warrior posted:

:umberto:

Mexico is a weak state who cannot control itself, but it's also a strong state with better borders than us so we must reject it for its weakness but embrace its strengths. Yes, this is contradictory as hell, no, Trump and his sycophants won't care.
Hardly surprising, then. I wonder how much his base has dwindled at this moment.

A betting goon! I like it.

KickerOfMice posted:

Fair enough.

Alter Ego posted:

My only comfort whenever I read one of his wordbarf tweets about DACA is twofold: 1) that he doesn't really know what DACA is and 2) that no one except his devoted MAGAchuds believe anything he says at this point.

KickerOfMice posted:

The caravan has painted the train red so it will go faster, and themselves yellow so they will be more DACA.
:goonsay:
But is it three times faster? :raise:

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Serrath posted:

I’m no friend of drug companies but this is really misleading information. Aspirin and xeralto are completely different classes of medications and are taken for different reasons (some of which overlap but the mechanism of action remains independent of each other)

COMPASS trial in the Oct 2017 NEJM, patients w/ CAD (but not Afib on anticoagulation):

1.3% absolute risk reduction in stroke, cardiovascular death and nonfatal MI. $6k/year.

Yeah, different class of drug and direct Xa inhibitors are nifty and all but it's sort of nutty that we're spending a little under half a million dollars (NNT=77 * $6k) to prevent 1 stroke/death/nonfatal MI.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Alter Ego posted:

That's his M.O. Just batter you relentlessly with shouted nonsense insults and declarations that things are the worst/best ever until you get tired of it and walk away. Story of his entire life. Because any reasonable person could easily trounce his stupidity in an actual conversation, overwhelm and exhaust with volume/volume of words. :smugdon:

Wark Say posted:

Fair enough.

We were both wrong, it's the pissy stationary.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 2, 2018

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I woke up to Morning Joe talking about Kenneth Star claiming the Stormy Daniels saga should NOT be a part of Mueller's investigation, because it's too far upfield.

Which means that the people that pull his strings are absolutely terrified it's about to be in Mueller's investigation :getin:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't understand, he's saying Mexico needs to stop people from coming through their northern border? Wouldn't that be people from America going in?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I don't understand, he's saying Mexico needs to stop people from coming through their northern border? Wouldn't that be people from America going in?

Nah we have to shut down the yucatan peninsula.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FizFashizzle posted:

Nah we have to shut down the yucatan peninsula.

I had a good time in Cancun. :shrug:

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MadJackal posted:

COMPASS trial in the Oct 2017 NEJM, patients w/ CAD (but not Afib on anticoagulation):

1.3% absolute risk reduction in stroke, cardiovascular death and nonfatal MI. $6k/year.

Yeah, different class of drug and direct Xa inhibitors are nifty and all but it's sort of nutty that we're spending a little under half a million dollars (NNT=77 * $6k) to prevent 1 stroke/death/nonfatal MI.

1.) Look at the hazard ratio which is a head to head comparison of relative risk between the two treatments. For the primary outcome it was a ~25% reduction of risk.

2.) Never mind patients paying for this would an insurance company pay for a treatment that was equivalent the cheapest and safest treatment known in the history of medicine (aspirin)? You can argue that doctors can be convinced to prescribe but I think if the profile was really the same as aspirin there would be no way in hell insurance would pay 6k for it. They’ve rejected coverage for much less.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

MadJackal posted:

When the baseline rate is 5.4% a 1.3% absolute reduction is huge. That's a 25% improvement over aspirin alone.

Also funny you mention half a million as being a huge number to prevent a stroke or MI, considering that the average acute+chronic cost of a non-fatal heart attack in 2010 was already over $750k and the cost of a stroke in 1990s was over $200k (which if it tracked average medical cost inflation would be right at $500k in 2017). Not to mention the quality of life effects of a MI or stroke.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Vladimir Putin posted:

1.) Look at the hazard ratio which is a head to head comparison of relative risk between the two treatments. For the primary outcome it was a ~25% reduction of risk.

2.) Never mind patients paying for this would an insurance company pay for a treatment that was equivalent the cheapest and safest treatment known in the history of medicine (aspirin)? You can argue that doctors can be convinced to prescribe but I think if the profile was really the same as aspirin there would be no way in hell insurance would pay 6k for it. They’ve rejected coverage for much less.

Yes, and .75 HR is generally a good benchmark for approval, coverage, and utilization for any product -- from $6k primary drugs to 100k+ oncology drugs. The NOAC class data isn't really an outlier.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Oh God, don't give him any ideas.

REUTERS - Malaysia outlaws 'fake news'; sets jail of up to six years

e- They have an advertisement supporting it, reading "Sharing a lie makes you a liar." Cool!

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 2, 2018

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

FizFashizzle posted:

I woke up to Morning Joe talking about Kenneth Star claiming the Stormy Daniels saga should NOT be a part of Mueller's investigation, because it's too far upfield.
:irony:

Also how is that gently caress still on TV after it came out that he and Briles pulled in a cool $20m in the aftermath of the Baylor assault coverup?

So unlike Joe, giving a platform and softfocus to sexual predators and their systematic enablers.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Wark Say posted:

It's an article of faith among the Fox News crowd that the USA lacks effective border control.

What he's saying is that Mexico should intercept and turn-back the large groups of refugees from Central America that are supposedly on their way to the US on foot. Conservative media has been hyperventilating about them all weekend.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Nothus posted:

It's an article of faith among the Fox News crowd that the USA lacks effective border control.

What he's saying is that Mexico should intercept and turn-back the large groups of refugees from Central America that are supposedly on their way to the US on foot. Conservative media has been hyperventilating about them all weekend.

Now that I think about it, wouldn’t Mexico violate some international treaty in forcing refugees away from the border? My guess that if someone is going to violate international law, might as well let the US have a crack at it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nothus posted:

What's hilarious to me (again) is that he's expecting Mexican border enforcement to intercept the caravans at Mexico's northern border. I.e as they're trying to leave Mexico and enter the US.

He thinks a) any country has effective border controls to prevent people leaving the country, not just entering; and b) it is Mexico's responsibility to prevent people (whether originating from Mexico or not) moving from Mexican territory into US territory, just as it is Mexico's responsibility to pay for the wall.

This is literally what he thinks. That countries have the wherewithal and the responsibility to prevent their people from going to other countries where they might cause problems.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

MadJackal posted:

I’m familiar with the COMPASS trial. Your reading of the results is wrong. Even if you were making the point you think you’re making, rivaroxaban and aspirin are completely different classes of medication with overlapping uses in some primary prevention. Even if you provided evidence that it provided only marginal risk in primary prevention among one demographic, that’s not some stunning indictment of the medication.

I agree with your overall thesis that drug companies are predatory and will seek to do really shifty things with patents and trial evidence but you’re picking a very poor example; NOACs are a breakthrough in the field and have a wide range of uses in every health service that uses them.

Your point would be better made using any one of a number of psychotropic drugs as examples.

Serrath fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 2, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Paracaidas posted:

:irony:

Also how is that gently caress still on TV after it came out that he and Briles pulled in a cool $20m in the aftermath of the Baylor assault coverup?

So unlike Joe, giving a platform and softfocus to sexual predators and their systematic enablers.

Art Briles wasn't a sexual predator, he was being physically abusive violently.

For some reason like half the media is desperate to rehabilitate him and have a redemption story.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
TalkingPointsMemo - Zinke’s Interior Dept Disproportionately Reassigned Native American Workers

quote:

Government documents and news reports reviewed by TPM show that at least ten are members of Native tribes. The list includes workers who have served in government for many years, like Chickasaw Nation member Stanley Speaks, Oglala Sioux member Michael Black, and Miami Nation member Darren Cruzan.

Several others on the list are Black and Latino, online records show.

“I am particularly concerned that the employees affected were disproportionately minority,” Sen. Tom Udall (D-NM), the top Democrat on the Senate Indian Affairs Committee, told TPM in a statement. “The diversity of a government workforce is a good thing and should be celebrated not denigrated, particularly for agencies such as the Department of the Interior, whose workforce should represent the broad geographic diversity of the people it serves.”

The DOI reassignments are currently under investigation by several government agencies, including the Government Accountability Office, the Interior Department’s Inspector General, and the Office of Special Counsel.

Bryan Newland, who served as a senior policy adviser at the BIA under the Obama administration, and is now the tribal chairman of the Bay Mills Indian Community in Michigan, sees the disproportionate reassignment of the veteran BIA officials he worked with as part of a bigger effort to remove barriers to those extractive industries.

“If you have experienced people who understand the U.S. government’s responsibility to Indian tribes, they’re more likely to stand up and say, ‘Hey, we have an obligation to our 567 tribes, and you can’t just open everything up to mining and drilling,'” said Newland. “Those folks were moved to get them out of the way so that the oil- and gas-centric policy can move quickly.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Zinke#Political_career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nothus posted:

Mexicans as part of the RWM's Boogeymen brigade. Not surprised in the loving least, but I still find it darkly funny.

• Locked thread