Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
what's wrong with cesaro's shoulder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
It never heals because he keeps reaching for that brass ring

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Son of Man posted:

The same thing that was wrong with Cowboy Bob Orton's wrist.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Son of Man posted:

He's addicted to advertising that particular brand of athletic tape.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyone else feel uncomfortable seeing all the kids of wrestlers getting into the business, Eddy's kid, Benoit's kid, Cody Hall...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ICHIBAHN posted:

Anyone else feel uncomfortable seeing all the kids of wrestlers getting into the business, Eddy's kid, Benoit's kid, Cody Hall...

Not to mention Jake the snake, Dwayne Johnson, Angelo poffos kids, greg gagne, Jerry Jarret's kid, bullet bobs kids, the Rhodes boys, hell even butcher vachons daughter. This new phenomenon is a real concern.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It IS unfortunate that Jerry Jarrett's kid got into the wrestling business though. He's loving awful.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Defiance Industries posted:

It IS unfortunate that Jerry Jarrett's kid got into the wrestling business though. He's loving awful.

Don't you disrespect a Hall of Famer!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

It's mostly a different business now than it was even ten to fifteen years ago. Safety and being clean are much bigger concerns.

Edit: Well, in WWE at least. Most indies and TNA haven't really changed.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 31, 2018

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SiKboy posted:

Not to mention Jake the snake, Dwayne Johnson, Angelo poffos kids, greg gagne, Jerry Jarret's kid, bullet bobs kids, the Rhodes boys, hell even butcher vachons daughter. This new phenomenon is a real concern.

Given how many of those wrestlers ended up with serious addictions or died young you aren't countering their point very well.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

Don't you disrespect a Hall of Famer!

Ain't he great

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Maxwell Lord posted:

Ain't he great

I unironically love that gimmick for how stupid it is and if Tennessee Lee doesn't intro him at the hall of fame I'm rooting

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

ICHIBAHN posted:

I feel kinda bad for people that live on a legacy like that, because most of the time they'll never escape the shadow of their parents. Especially starting out, there's a big chance that the expectations of their parents' legacy will overshadow anything they do. Like, you can live in it, and you can embrace it, but I personally wouldn't want to.

Sure, there are exceptions. Randy Orton has completely eclipsed his father. The Usos and Roman Reigns don't have "Anoa'i family member" as their gimmick. But for every one of those folks, the bank they'll get is mostly from their parents' names. I don't have a negative relationship with my dad, but all the same I don't want the first thing people remember about me to be "oh that's so-and-so's kid."

In the end though, it doesn't truly matter. Wrestling currently seems to be more nostalgia-driven than it used to be. If the kids of wrestlers can carve their niche using nostalgia for their parents as a starting point, great. Let them make money, and I hope to god they don't make the same mistakes their parents did.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I unironically love that gimmick for how stupid it is and if Tennessee Lee doesn't intro him at the hall of fame I'm rooting

Having the Roadie indict him is even better. Means we get at least one rendition of "With My Baby Tonight."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Qoey posted:

The Usos and Roman Reigns don't have "Anoa'i family member" as their gimmick.

Ironically I am actually a big fan of the way Heyman keeps playing up Roman's heritage, even if only because it's great hearing him talk about how scary and intimidating they were back in the day and how (according to Heyman, who is a heel) Roman is failing to live up to that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

His hall of fame induction should just be the two of them loving, so we can judge for ourselves if Tennessee Lee was lying.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Ironically I am actually a big fan of the way Heyman keeps playing up Roman's heritage, even if only because it's great hearing him talk about how scary and intimidating they were back in the day and how (according to Heyman, who is a heel) Roman is failing to live up to that.

True.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFHw-7wkivA&t=97s

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahaha, Heyman owns

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

There is so much going on in that video lol, don't gently caress with a guy who brings a pineapple to a brawl

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Defiance Industries posted:

His hall of fame induction should just be the two of them loving, so we can judge for ourselves if Tennessee Lee was lying.

Sawyer Brown plays them in

Speaking of which finding out Sawyer Brown invested in TNA blew me away because I thought the only interaction they had with Are Sport was their performance on In Your House uhhhhh the inferno match one

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

gently caress. He is so lucky to not be fuckin dead.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Holy loving poo poo.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

A question for people familiar with strength training, Mark Henry and Jeff Cobb.

Would it have been feasible for Mark Henry in his younger days (post Olympics/pre WWF) to learn the sort of strength and body control Jeff Cobb uses or was Henry's type of athleticism incompatible with that, much like how Bodybuilders, Strongmen and other types of strength trainers have wildly different muscular competencies?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Jeff Cobb was an Olympic wrestler and Mizark was an Olympic lifter. Their body types are very different so I doubt Mark could have been a world class amateur wrestler or Jeff a world class lifter.

I’m sure if Jeff wanted to compete in power lifting he’d be good at it, but not Olympic level. I don’t think a guy as large as Mark could ever be a great amateur wrestler.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I can't imagine mark Henry ever getting under 275 or whatever the Olympic wrestling limit is

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I bring this up because I remember being much more impressed with Cobb's debut as Matanza than I ever was with Henry. Cobb just came off as much stronger. Sure Mark could pull a trailer truck, but that doesn't translate as well in the context of pro wrestling as Cobb throwing Rey Jr. around like pizza dough (I mean a lot of people throw Rey around obviously, but not like Cobb did).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I got to see him from front row at an indie show once and that dude makes it look real even from ten feet away

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jackie D posted:

I can't imagine mark Henry ever getting under 275 or whatever the Olympic wrestling limit is

I think in that Sports Illustrated profile that gets posted every time people talk about How Ridiculous Mark Henry Is, they mention that if he had 0% body fat he'd still be pushing 300 lbs.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I love when WWE was mad at Mark and made him lose weight they decided it'd be good publicity if he competed in a Strongman contest at the Arnold Classic. So he promptly had to gain it all back.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

I was at Ultima Lucha Dos and I remember when Matanza came out. Cobb seemed kind of short, but before you could think sideways about it, he was using Rey Misterio as a fidget spinner.

I want Cobb & Keith Lee to defect to NXT and have a four way War Games with AOP, Heavy Machinery, and War Machine that ends with the shifting of Earth's orbit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Choom Gangster posted:

he was using Rey Misterio as a fidget spinner.

Utterly perfect description, haha

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Jerusalem posted:

Utterly perfect description, haha

Arrrgh I hate it it's so much better than miiiiiine.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

tell Me what parts of roman reigns are underdeveloped enough where he cannot lift people who he probably should be able to. Or does he employ very bad technique? hope to read what you are going to say when i check on it tomorry

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Cavauro posted:

tell Me what parts of roman reigns are underdeveloped enough where he cannot lift people who he probably should be able to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Ow1nlafOg

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cavauro posted:

tell Me what parts of roman reigns are underdeveloped enough where he cannot lift people who he probably should be able to. Or does he employ very bad technique? hope to read what you are going to say when i check on it tomorry

He is severely lacking in testicular fortitude, unfortunately

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

extradite THIS! posted:

He is severely lacking in testicular fortitude, unfortunately

He should be like Triple H, and face his problem with his balls.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
what's the most unintentionally funny offense?

i used to think it was shanes punches but then i really got a look at eric bischoff's lovely little karate kicks and now i'm thinkin

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Goldberg's lovely little karate kicks.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I always thought the springboard flying rear end Rey Mysterio started using when he couldn't do the West Coast Pop anymore (due to always fighting bigger guys and/or his knees exploding) looked hilariously terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Hogan/Warrior match at Halloween Havoc '98 is something of a master class in bad funny offense that looks kinda like the "martial arts" in old episodes of Star Trek. Including eye pokes, back rakes, and the infamous Log Roll.