Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
light for the lost
Apr 1, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

light for the lost posted:

i wish they'd walked in on the parents having sex, just like whipping each other, screaming, cursing, both dressed like easter bunnies, and then allison is so hot and bothered she jumps on patrick and they fall down the stairs and he breaks his neck and dies instantly but she just keeps humping until the lower half of his body completely detaches and goose steps around the yard spraying blood everywhere and then the professor shows up and tells us it's all because of the uncertainty principle. meanwhile clevin has burnt the house down and they're all dead. the comic is over, it's over, we're free

:australia:

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

i wish they'd walked in on the parents having sex, just like whipping each other, screaming, cursing, both dressed like easter bunnies, and then allison is so hot and bothered she jumps on patrick and they fall down the stairs and he breaks his neck and dies instantly but she just keeps humping until the lower half of his body completely detaches and goose steps around the yard spraying blood everywhere and then the professor shows up and tells us it's all because of the uncertainty principle. meanwhile clevin has burnt the house down and they're all dead. the comic is over, it's over, we're free

"We call it The Strong Female Aristocrats!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i question why all of this is happening in the first place

patrick stumbled into allison's house like eight months ago looking hobo-chic and then suddenly we're in the lamest possible version of The Cell

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I'm excited for the next update.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That Man From The TV is a more interesting superhero identity concept than anything in the last two years of this trash

everyone sees him as a different nondescript weatherman or whatever
There was a character like this in Worm where his power was everyone saw him as harmless and friendly no matter what he did. Extremely OP.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

PetraCore posted:

There was a character like this in Worm where his power was everyone saw him as harmless and friendly no matter what he did. Extremely OP.
he was one of the greatest monsters of all time, because Worm is :emo:

say what you like about Strong Female Protagonist, it's still miles ahead of Worm

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

Mental powers are just ripe for abuse and always potentially the most horrifying

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Elephant Parade posted:

say what you like about Strong Female Protagonist, it's still miles ahead of Worm
let's not say things we can't take back, at least Worm had... like two ideas that were kind of interesting

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

PetraCore posted:

Immunity from suspicion led to I'd say 70% of the cast in a manga I was reading dying. Having the ability to not be suspected of bad things is stupidly powerful.

edit: Series was called Battle Destruction School Dangerous. Translations were stalled but it's a fun (if very trashy) series.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 2, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Elephant Parade posted:

he was one of the greatest monsters of all time, because Worm is :emo:

Nice Guy or whatever his name is really did take that as far as it could go and was like a two-chapter bit character, but my point is that perception-based powers like that are inherently not so flashy as a lot of 'standard' superhero powers, but you can push them in really interesting ways. I didn't really care about SFP not being really creative with powers since that isn't really one of the points of it, but you've got to admit it's dull as dogshit and that really is highlighted when the powers themselves are brought into focus like this weird thing with Patrick.

EDIT: Actually I take it back, Allison is always harping on how people should use their powers in the right way but the writer doesn't even have any good idea how the powers work or what the right way would be... there's not a really consistent system in place, everything is just pulled from popular superhero media. Which is fine except then emphasis is placed on how, say, Pintsize shrinking down to fly around in tiny robots is dumb and inefficient and he should just go down to the molecular level and be a scientist even though he sucks at science. But then that raises the question of how him being so small even works in a way dumb ant-man style antics doesn't. I'm not saying you've got to hard science this, but it feels like the writer is asking the readers questions smugly but doesn't actually have an answer. Like I can't believe that Allison was mad at a girl whose power was entirely 'has wings' for not 'doing more with it'... she just has wings, Allison! It's almost entirely superficial!

Even Allison's powers all seemingly being rooted in a skintight forcefield giving her practical superstrength, invulnerability, and flight has been done before and with more thought put into it.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 2, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I think this thread has gone into before how there's like a million pretty obvious ways a functionally invulnerable person with superstrength could significantly improve the lot of mankind if they wanted to, but most of them involve suppressing the ego and taking directions from someone who knows what the gently caress they're doing rather than being The Hero. This is also where the already really tenuous privilege metaphor falls apart, as the problems of using one's wealth or social status to undo the damage your wealth and caste privilege creates are sort of entirely unlike the problems associated with invulnerability you were just kinda born with, that makes you actually innately superior to lesser mortals rather than the beneficiary of many people robbing many others on your behalf.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 2, 2018

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I love you

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

This is also where the already really tenuous privilege metaphor falls apart, as the problems of using one's wealth or social status to undo the damage your wealth and caste privilege creates are sort of entirely unlike the problems associated with invulnerability you were just kinda born with, that makes you actually innately superior to lesser mortals rather than the beneficiary of many people robbing many others on your behalf.

Yup, once you make power innate you're stuck with noblesse oblige as your guiding principle.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Man that's also a problem with X-men. Like I remember something about the movie where Rogue wanted to be cured and got told off for it because 'you're amazing just the way you are' and it's like yeah but she legit kills people if she touches them skin to skin it's kind of not the same as having the ability to like, control the weather and be a demigod.

EDIT: The mutant whose canonical power is that he has an ambulatory, sentient digestive system and he almost starved to death before he learned he had to barf up the two giant worms that make up his digestive track and allow them to eat and then let them burrow painlessly back into his gut is going to have a very different experience than the guy with immortality on a practical level and one of these people is far more able to get killed by someone who is scared of the second one of those people.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 3, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

see to solve all your problems you just have to have a stranger invade your mind and break everything inside it. *toot*

light for the lost
Apr 1, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Just about the worst drawn page yet.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Legitimately disappointed his mom isn't the professor's head on a middle-aged woman's body.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I mean, seriously,

e:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Really awesome synchronicity with the most recent Oglaf, which published before SFP so how about that :shrug:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Quiet! Quiet that!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
What a shocking revelation - his mother was a mean-looking woman we haven't seen before! Only Strong Female Protagonist can bring this level of shock and surprise to the comic medium

light for the lost
Apr 1, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Breetai posted:

Quiet! Quiet that!
hurrr

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
What if your mom was your mom? Make you think.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
More like Wrong Female Protagonist.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Piell posted:

What a shocking revelation - his mother was a mean-looking woman we haven't seen before! Only Strong Female Protagonist can bring this level of shock and surprise to the comic medium
I was hoping she was going to be libertarian rear end in a top hat kid's senator mom.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Avs will return, and in greater numbers.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Imagine that you spent months of hard work building up to what you think will be an unforgettable climax, and it's just cliche after cliche because that's the best you can do. Awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cio096u3t1A

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 3, 2018

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Look Patrick stop talking get your stab on and this will all be over faster.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I think this thread has gone into before how there's like a million pretty obvious ways a functionally invulnerable person with superstrength could significantly improve the lot of mankind if they wanted to, but most of them involve suppressing the ego and taking directions from someone who knows what the gently caress they're doing rather than being The Hero. This is also where the already really tenuous privilege metaphor falls apart, as the problems of using one's wealth or social status to undo the damage your wealth and caste privilege creates are sort of entirely unlike the problems associated with invulnerability you were just kinda born with, that makes you actually innately superior to lesser mortals rather than the beneficiary of many people robbing many others on your behalf.

Long ago there was that page where Allison tried to fix a playground but it was all jagged and poo poo. Some guy says "uh ally i dont think thats safe" and shes like "if i knew how to fix it i would!"

and im like

LEARN HOW

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Baller Ina posted:

Long ago there was that page where Allison tried to fix a playground but it was all jagged and poo poo. Some guy says "uh ally i dont think thats safe" and shes like "if i knew how to fix it i would!"

and im like

LEARN HOW

If that page was written now she'd just smash the playground harder and it would be fixed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont recall. Is Patrick adopted? neither of those people look very asian.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Synthbuttrange posted:

He's supposed to be Asian?

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013

Cut down in the prime of their posting career

The humanity of it all

hurrr

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
What was the build-up with the shadows for? Did they just finish watching The Last Jedi or something?

Like this comic has no pay-off at this point. It's bad; plain bad.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The last two villains in this (college republican and homeless psychic) have had mean moms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Mary (invisible serial killer) is asian, I think, but I don't remember Patrick's race being specified

• Locked thread