Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
You dont have an outdoor outlet? It has that thick cover to make it waterproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Nope, none at all. The only other solution is to run it through a window. I'm afraid bringing it that low will make it trivial to snip the wires.

Leal fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 31, 2018

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I mean, you're drilling one hole, not building a condo complex. Get the right diameter hole saw and just ram it through. I'd get a $3 spade bit that's exactly the right size, smoke it through there, and throw it away when you're done.

You can't get an aftermarket USB cable?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

photomikey posted:

You can't get an aftermarket USB cable?

Sadly the cable that USB is on is attached to the camera. I mean, I could put a USB on that part, but its a 10 foot cable that would have to be rolled up on the outside and it would look really ugly and obvious.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
When I connect a Bluetooth speaker to my PC it plays an mp3 perfectly fine but when I try internet radio it cuts in and out constantly and is unlistenable. What gives?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What's a good cheap VPN? As cheap as possible would be good

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Vegetable posted:

ProtonVPN has a free tier if your need is dire, but it's speed-limited and won't allow torrenting.

Your typical full-service VPN is going to run you five or six US dollars a month. My current pick is Mullvad, but there are other reputable ones out there for similar prices, like AirVPN, NordVPN, or the paid tiers of Proton.

Check the aptly-named That One Privacy Site for reviews and info.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Vegetable posted:

There's a deal on the very top of each forum offering 77% off the NordVPN for goons.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Human Tornada posted:

When I connect a Bluetooth speaker to my PC it plays an mp3 perfectly fine but when I try internet radio it cuts in and out constantly and is unlistenable. What gives?
I'm assuming the mp3 is stored locally? And that you're not already all-in on the 5GHz Wifi thing yet? I had a laptop where this was a problem and it turned out the BT and Wifi shared a radio and could only alternate between each other. In other words, anything with intensive BT traffic, like audio, would not only constantly stutter while playing something over the Wifi connection, but at the same time, Wifi speeds would suffer terribly (also contributing to the interruptions). It was one of the most recommended Intel Wifi chips as well, but totally unsuitable for that purpose.

Spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot that. In the end, disabling the BT and then adding a cheap usb BT dongle massively improved the situation.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is there a medical term for what happens when you bang a part of yourself (say, a knee) into something and you feel like you're gonna be sick for a minute or two? Outside of hypochondria, obviously.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Is there a medical term for what happens when you bang a part of yourself (say, a knee) into something and you feel like you're gonna be sick for a minute or two? Outside of hypochondria, obviously.

Pain?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I don't think it has a special name, it's just nausea. Nausea caused by the sympathetic nervous system getting hammered. Your body basically preps you to vomit when in that amount of pain because why not, there's a chance that pain is caused by something you ate.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

MisterBibs posted:

It's part of the vagal response.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Whenever it rains, my sitting room window makes really loud clacking sounds. I've been trying to figure out what it is, and the only thing I can guess is it's raindrops hitting plastic. It's loud enough that I can hear the sound of it in my bedroom when I'm trying to sleep. Does this happen because the roof overhang isn't enough to divert raindrops away from the windowsill? The clicking happens even after the rain stops (for a few hours), so I'm thinking the gutter must be leaking drops or something. It's just strange that the sound happens really uniformly, and only on one side of the window.

How can I stop this from happening?

It's the small window on the left

Ladybugs keep on getting into the sitting room as well. I end up finding a couple every week dead on the carpet, despite not leaving the windows open. How do they manage to get in? It's the worst when the weather warms up, I'll spot 5 just chilling around my window.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Go outside after the rain and look at the guttering. You'll see where it is leaking from.

you have a break in the guttering (bung some duck tape over the join/crack)

Your downspout might also be blocked, so scoop out the leaves.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Leal posted:

Alright follow up, what I'm running through the wall is a camera plug. For whatever reason the plug's USB has an extremely thick cover on it, requiring a large hole. Meanwhile the cable itself is your normal sized cable, how would I go about sealing that hole back up after getting the plug through it? Would some caulk suffice?

Maybe you could cut a coax bushing along one radius so it could be "opened up" to fit around the cable after the cable and plug have been fed through the wall, then apply clear silicone caulk around the hole and bushing.

https://www.amazon.com/Through-Bush...0MYX9M92W2GND45

Qubee
May 31, 2013

cheers spog, will do that next time it rains.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Q8ee posted:

cheers spog, will do that next time it rains.

Remember to take you meds.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 1, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What's the name of the short, thicc soccer player who's acrobatic and never dives?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Also does anyone know what movie this is from?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What's the name of the short, thicc soccer player who's acrobatic and never dives?

Messi?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Shaqiri?

revolther
May 27, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Also does anyone know what movie this is from?

Very familiar, first guess is it looks like a spring water spirit/nymph thing from Fantasia 2000.
edit: yeah. http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Spring_Sprite

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

That's him, thanks

revolther posted:

Very familiar, first guess is it looks like a spring water spirit/nymph thing from Fantasia 2000.
edit: yeah. http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Spring_Sprite

Thanks

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What's the name of the effect/instrument used in movie trailers that's like a bunch of people screaming and the pitch quickly rises lol

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I'm trying to find a specific line drawing of a fat-faced Norm McDonald. I think someone on these forums uses it as an avatar. Larger image preferred. GIS no helpie.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Is there a mythological creature that is like a cartwheel with a face or an eyeball in the middle?

I've seen it in many games now.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Chernabog posted:

Is there a mythological creature that is like a cartwheel with a face or an eyeball in the middle?

I've seen it in many games now.

Maybe a throne or ophanim from the bible? Iirc Dante mentions them in the Divine Comedy, too.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What's the name of the effect/instrument used in movie trailers that's like a bunch of people screaming and the pitch quickly rises lol

Guessing violins? Can’t find the exact effect but I think I know what you’re referring to.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Van Dis posted:

Maybe a throne or ophanim from the bible? Iirc Dante mentions them in the Divine Comedy, too.

Yeah, those are probably it. Thanks.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Theremin?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Got an example?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Chernabog posted:

Yeah, those are probably it. Thanks.

There's also Buer, frequently shown as some form of wheel in games like Castlevania. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buer_(demon)

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The one that made me wonder was the enemy in Bayonetta so it is probably based on the ophanim but as it turns out I also had castlevania's buer in mind (and D&D?). In Okami there are also similar enemies though they might be inspired on something else since they are Japanese.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
whats the band spelled that is named something like fmr2mrs or some poo poo like that i can't remember

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
So I know in Google search results you can request to remove a result if that web site has been updated to remove that specific keyword. Is there a way I can do this in YouTube with their results if a description has been edited to remove a keyword?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Doorknob Slobber posted:

whats the band spelled that is named something like fmr2mrs or some poo poo like that i can't remember

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_MR ?

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
My ~15 year old boombox/CD player broke, and I need a new home audio thing.

I'm no audiophile, I just want to be able to play an occasional CD or MP3 and leave NPR on for my dog when I'm not at home. My internet connection at home isn't great, so streaming stuff isn't a good option for me, but if there's something else I should consider, I'm all ears.

I'm leaning toward just buying another boombox from Amazon for $50 - $150, but if there are other options I should consider, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'll probably just buy the cheapest one with decent ratings and the features I want. Are there brands or models I should avoid?

I don't live in the city, so I do need something with decent radio reception. The clock-radio I bought recently came with some floppy little wire for an antenna, and even after I pinned the end of it up to the wall, it gets lousy reception.

Oh, I see a lot of the hits on Amazon advertise bluetooth - are people using them as computer speakers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Peristalsis posted:

Oh, I see a lot of the hits on Amazon advertise bluetooth - are people using them as computer speakers?

most people use them for playing mp3s/youtube/spotify from their phone. but yes a computer would work too