Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Honestly I cannot comprehend how Bluehole has pissed away the goodwill of players for so long and shows no signs of stopping. I mean, what, it took them a year to sort out the cheating and it’s still fairly outrageous, though less common? The lobby still defaults to selections you don’t want. The X/Y mouse decoupling. The glacial pace of patch releases with frequent rollbacks? making GBS threads out hideous cosmetics when failing to add new guns/maps/vehicles/balance. The whole “one key will unlock all cosmetic crates” promise getting thrown out. Fog and rain getting clipped and still not replaced. Molotovs being useless since day 1 and never buffed. Shotguns being so inconsistent because of the pellet code.

I mean I can go on and on. I really enjoyed PUBG but, christ, what the gently caress happened? The first year of development was pretty fast and responsive and then it just fell off a cliff. Miramar is still a mess. The only thing of note they’ve done in the last ~4 months is increase the frame rate and even then that’s fairly inconsistent between patches.

I have no interest in Fortnite but at least Epic is handling that game properly. I’d love a retrospective on how PUBG fell apart. Was it trying to deal with cheaters? With esports? Developer churn? I’m so curious why it fell apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sir, this is a McDonald's drive thru

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Basic PUBG gameplay has hardly changed since release, the cheating has been constant for months and is never going to get 'sorted out', as someone who plays roughly 3 hours every two weeks I find the game is still very enjoyable, maybe if you've played the poo poo out of it for several months straight you've just grown bored with it?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah, as someone who bought it right after Miramar came out, it doesn't seem that bad at all. There's a patch every month with a bunch of noticeable changes, a new (really promising) map coming out soon and they're not just taking the easy way out pushing content out of the door, they're also improving performance and making other much needed backend changes.

It still feels like an early access game, but it's not that bad.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Pathos posted:

Honestly I cannot comprehend how Bluehole has pissed away the goodwill of players for so long and shows no signs of stopping. I mean, what, it took them a year to sort out the cheating and it’s still fairly outrageous, though less common? The lobby still defaults to selections you don’t want. The X/Y mouse decoupling. The glacial pace of patch releases with frequent rollbacks? making GBS threads out hideous cosmetics when failing to add new guns/maps/vehicles/balance. The whole “one key will unlock all cosmetic crates” promise getting thrown out. Fog and rain getting clipped and still not replaced. Molotovs being useless since day 1 and never buffed. Shotguns being so inconsistent because of the pellet code.

I mean I can go on and on. I really enjoyed PUBG but, christ, what the gently caress happened? The first year of development was pretty fast and responsive and then it just fell off a cliff. Miramar is still a mess. The only thing of note they’ve done in the last ~4 months is increase the frame rate and even then that’s fairly inconsistent between patches.

I have no interest in Fortnite but at least Epic is handling that game properly. I’d love a retrospective on how PUBG fell apart. Was it trying to deal with cheaters? With esports? Developer churn? I’m so curious why it fell apart.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/submit?selftext=true

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

I don't think it's just overly critical reddit-style bitching. Is it really that complex to create a button to make NA -> FPP -> Squad default and save it into a local config file? Or a toggle to enable consistent V/H sensitivities? Or map selection? The player base remains huge and there is little risk of fracturing the community where wait times will be a significant problem. The competitive community will coalesce around specific modes as needed.

Either way, the game remains very, very good and excited to play the new map. Of course it's hard to know before playing it, but the initial video seems like they've incorporated a lot of player feedback.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I dunno. I guess I’m just annoyed because I really, really enjoyed PUBG and have something like 700 hours in the game and it just feels like it’s been catastrophically mismanaged since it approached 1.0. Maybe it’s just burn out since I’ve been playing it for a long time, especially since it sounds like some of you aren’t as bummed at the direction.

I’m not entirely sure why there was such a change for me - maybe it was just the game getting more popular and thus becoming a bigger target for cheating or what. Maybe the new map will help. Or if they keep the flare gun side game accessible long term. I dunno.

Pathos fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 2, 2018

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pathos posted:

I’m so curious why it fell apart.

http://steamcharts.com/app/578080

Man, I can't believe it all fell apart.

They have had what, 8 updates since 1.0? Sure, not everyone's wish list is in every single update. But it's not like they are sitting around doing absolutely nothing to this game. :shrug:

Mar 26th - Update 8
Mar 8 - Update 7
Feb 7 - Update 5/6
Jan 30 - Update 4
Jan 23 - Update 3
Jan 11 - Update 2
Dec 27 - Update 1

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 2, 2018

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Not really what I meant but fair enough

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I am going to miss the event. It let me practice shotgunning because even with the 1987 I could shoot like 5 times before the person in front of me could kill me with their extended mag vector.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

If you would like a code to try the 4x4 map in beta:

https://mapbeta.playbattlegrounds.com/

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Hockles posted:

If you would like a code to try the 4x4 map in beta:

https://mapbeta.playbattlegrounds.com/

Just got a key, thanks.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Thom P. Tiers posted:

They have had what, 8 updates since 1.0? Sure, not everyone's wish list is in every single update. But it's not like they are sitting around doing absolutely nothing to this game. :shrug:

The problem is that a lot of the big, pressing things they're working on fixing aren't flashy, like implementing ping locking, developing anti-cheat solutions, and making the game more stable in general

That means the choice ends up being between continuing to work solely on those (and have absolutely nothing to show until it's ready to go live), or develop content in parallel (and get people complaining that the above 'isn't being worked on' + while complaining that the released content feels too small and slow as if the entire dev team isn't working on it (which they aren't)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tired: ping lock china
wired: a tiny rc car from a crate what's got a camera for recon

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Honestly if you guys want to get good at PUBG, the best thing to do is go play counter strike and ARMA 3.

In a game of PUBG, you might have 10 encounters with players if you are lucky. In a CSGO deathmatch, you will have 10 enemy encounters in a minute. Its just a far better use of time if you are practicing aiming. Much better for developing muscle memory.

ARMA 3 is great for learning how to shoot long distances because the gunplay is very similar to PUBG and there are missions where you will start out with sniper rifles.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

oddium posted:

R6 Siege when

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
So this was a first time thing for me. :(

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Achievement Unlocked: Become a Literal Ghost

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Got a key, can't wait to check out tinymap tonight

E: does tinymap have a real name and how bad is it

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

oddium posted:

Goddamn Frontlines was a good game, rip

How many games have literal RC bricks of C4, RC minigun tracked drones and such as class loadout tools?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Evilreaver posted:

Goddamn Frontlines was a good game, rip

How many games have literal RC bricks of C4, RC minigun tracked drones and such as class loadout tools?

Call of Duty

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What am I looking for here?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The Mash posted:

i think green blood?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
no health

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
That person has absolutely zero health and is still alive. There isn't even the tiniest sliver of red in that bar.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oddium posted:

actually that's wireless :spergin:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it would be wired so you can track it back to the rando controlling it

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Mash posted:

Sweet release probably.

No ammo, no health, no vest, outside the circle.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Count Bleck posted:

Sweet release probably.

No ammo, no health, no vest, outside the circle.

This is a deathcam screen.

I ripped his vest off and he ended with zero health. About a half second after I took that screen, his health upticked from a boost. Seems there is a bug/delay in that if you get knocked to zero health but your boost is just about to tick you up, you live! That's the only thing I can think of to explain it. He was inside the circle (it was closing in on us).

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
It's likely that very small health ranges, like 1-4hp just don't register on the health bar UI. Possible that it's a bug related to having a boost running and then being reduced to 0 or -1/2/3 that will be healed with the next pending tick, but my money is that its just a visual thing and the player really did have a health total of >0 at all times.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

fargom posted:

It's likely that very small health ranges, like 1-4hp just don't register on the health bar UI. Possible that it's a bug related to having a boost running and then being reduced to 0 or -1/2/3 that will be healed with the next pending tick, but my money is that its just a visual thing and the player really did have a health total of >0 at all times.

Yea, but I've seen the smallest sliver of red before on deathcams and it was shown as 98-99 dmg with website trackers. :shrug: Maybe the game couldn't handle me ripping his vest, knocking to zero, and an uptick in boost all at the same time.

My theory is he rose from the dead. Fitting it was Easter when this happened.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

fargom posted:

It's likely that very small health ranges, like 1-4hp just don't register on the health bar UI.

No, that shows up on the health bar.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
I had an empty health bar with no boost the other day. Same thing happened to my buddy. Both occasions were from taking damage from flipping vehicles.

I wouldn't be surprised if you don't die at zero health lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

is the beta key site a phishing scam or not. if it is you legally have to say

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

oddium posted:

is the beta key site a phishing scam or not. if it is you legally have to say

It's legit, I got a key. It might have still phished me but that's ok, I like jam bands (no I don't, death to jam bands.)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I used the key and am downloading the PUBG: Closed Experimental Server right now!

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Xenaero posted:

Glad they chose the worst possible fuckin method for granting access to the 4x4km map preview: keys via social media

Late to this party but yeah, they gave away infinity keys on their official website today and you didnt need to be a pc gamer subscriber or a twitch lord.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

patonthebach posted:

Late to this party but yeah, they gave away infinity keys on their official website today and you didnt need to be a pc gamer subscriber or a twitch lord.

The other giveaway keys (not through the official site) didn't even require you to own the base game. The official site checks your steam listing for ownership first. But yeah, at this point it's just a matter of your own effort to get access if you already own the game so who cares.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Can anybody point me in the direction of where I'm supposed to get this beta build, is it just going to be the normal test server? I haven't been able to suss out any actual links to the game so far, and yes I know it's another 80 minutes or so from being live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007

highme posted:

Can anybody point me in the direction of where I'm supposed to get this beta build, is it just going to be the normal test server? I haven't been able to suss out any actual links to the game so far, and yes I know it's another 80 minutes or so from being live.

Once you have your key paste it into steam product activation. There is a client separate from the test server it has you download.