Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What are public estimates of CEP derived from? Can you rely solely on hard-ish open source evidence like the looks of the missile in the fluff pics and videos or do some special sauce guesstimates about the state of the Russian semiconductor industry or whatever go into it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

But we can't have a missile gap! Privatize the ICBMs, award Musk the new contract and the right and left will both be happy as we await our fiery destruction.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

orange juche posted:

Paradoxically enough, both the R-36M and the RS-28 are leaps and bounds ahead of what the US has as far as land-based missile technology.

They are, giving Russia credit for every optimistic press blurb, roughly equivalent with Peacekeeper. So, technology wise they are not leaps and bounds ahead. Currently fielded capability? Sure.

The Minuteman fleet has undergone some recent guidance and propulsion modernization so they aren't that far off other than throw weight.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 2, 2018

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Plinkey posted:

I'm going to London for about a week later this year is the royal air force museum worth the trip and how much time to plan there? We were looking at possible doing that Harry Potter studio tour and hit the museum on the way back.

DesperateDan posted:

Duxford or Hendon? Duxford is definitely a whole day affair, Hendon isn't quite so large and I don't think you pay to get in. I'm getting dragged to the harry potter thing later this year and it's not a full day but is apparently great if you love the series. I hate it, but I used it to secure a day at duxford later this year :)

I've never been to Duxford, but Hendon is easy to get to on the tube (our metro system). You just need a short bus ride or slightly longer walk at the other end.

Timewise, you could easily do it in a leisurely afternoon.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

aphid_licker posted:

What are public estimates of CEP derived from? Can you rely solely on hard-ish open source evidence like the looks of the missile in the fluff pics and videos or do some special sauce guesstimates about the state of the Russian semiconductor industry or whatever go into it?

Looks don't help much towards CEP and most public figures are either estimations based on the maturity of a country's rocket industry combined with a number of factors (like guidance type(s) etc) or simply de-classified historic data.

The Russians have some pretty accurate rockets. The Americans have the most accurate.
Since the late 70s / early 80s, accuracy became a non issue for both.

Personally, I really liked the way the Soviets approached the TOPOL project. That particular one was nasty, in that it was both very mobile and quick to launch.

A couple of examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIzXI-mlJjs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyRyAIAM2-c

The way the cover is designed to smack the TEL while disengaging is simply too Russian.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Another one that was too Russian, was the Molodets. Especially the express version.

Here, with the appropriate music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoKkOocaPls

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Duxford isn't really available via public transport, but it is really worth trying to get there.

EDIT: 20min cab from Cambridge station.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i really had no idea anyone thought "tar baby" was racist.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I think I was able to get to Duxford by bus back in 2010.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

bewbies posted:

Its transmission from oral to written and its popularization are more fraught with appropriation and caricaturing issues than a lot of other African American cultural contributions.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

bewbies posted:

I've only heard it used as one of the most expressly racist terms ever. I'm in my 30s and had no idea there was a "legit" meaning for it until the last page or so.

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

Dante80 posted:

Looks don't help much towards CEP and most public figures are either estimations based on the maturity of a country's rocket industry combined with a number of factors (like guidance type(s) etc) or simply de-classified historic data.

The Russians have some pretty accurate rockets. The Americans have the most accurate.
Since the late 70s / early 80s, accuracy became a non issue for both.

Personally, I really liked the way the Soviets approached the TOPOL project. That particular one was nasty, in that it was both very mobile and quick to launch.

A couple of examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIzXI-mlJjs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyRyAIAM2-c

The way the cover is designed to smack the TEL while disengaging is simply too Russian.

What are all those explosions that go off as the rocket leaves the tube about?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
So is the TEL manned during launch or are the crew laying in cover half a mike away hoping not to die?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Barcley posted:

What are all those explosions that go off as the rocket leaves the tube about?

These are pyrotechnic charges, separating the sabot parts (that keep the rocket firmly attached to the tube) from the rocket body.

Valtonen posted:

So is the TEL manned during launch or are the crew laying in cover half a mike away hoping not to die?

It is not a good idea to stay close to an ICBM TEL, when it is firing. The sound alone is enough to kill you. Those things are big enough to send things to orbit (the first TOPOL video was a satellite launch actually, from a converted rocket).

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 2, 2018

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

bewbies posted:

Everything is racist.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

bewbies posted:

I remember being confused when a Jewish girl I went to high school got mad that someone said "gypped."

Some of the old timey nose art was shockingly racist though:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bewbies posted:

Same, I knew it from the br'er rabbit books, and so somebody saying "let's not hit the tar baby here" as a reference to a br'er rabbit story made perfect sense to me

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SimonCat posted:

I remember being confused when a Jewish girl I went to high school got mad that someone said "gypped."

Some of the old timey nose art was shockingly racist though:

Did she think the word applied to her, or was she standing up for the Roma?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also, because we're in the worst timeline, Putin funds a motorcycle gang to raise hell

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

joat mon posted:

Did she think the word applied to her, or was she standing up for the Roma?

She compared it to saying "jewed."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

SimonCat posted:

She compared it to saying "jewed."
I mean, it is a direct equivalent.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

Same, I knew it from the br'er rabbit books, and so somebody saying "let's not hit the tar baby here" as a reference to a br'er rabbit story made perfect sense to me

Also the tar baby story is an adaptation of an African folk tale.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, the Russians actually call it "Sarmat." NATO called it SATAN and the new one SATAN 2 because their throw weight is insane and they can carry one huge city/mountain-destroying warhead or evidently up to "dozens" of smaller MIRVs accompanied by a sickening amount of decoys. They've been sunsetting the older SS-18s by using them as small satellite launch vehicles.

Well, poo poo, I'll have to update my design...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

Also the tar baby story is an adaptation of an African folk tale.

The story itself has nothing to do with race. But then racists decided that drawing the tar baby as a black kid was a great idea. Just google image search it and you’ll get “interesting” results.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I had no idea "spook" was a racial term.

Found out the hard way when I mentioned a lot of spooks from Ft Meade lived near me and it led to a very confusing conversation

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Smiling Jack posted:

Found out the hard way when I mentioned a lot of spooks from Ft Meade lived near me and it led to a very confusing conversation

lmao

Edit: Someone hasn't watched Gran Torino

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

That Works posted:

lmao

Edit: Someone hasn't watched Gran Torino

Gran Toronio cane out like a decade after this incident

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ohhh

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Smiling Jack posted:

Gran Toronio cane out like a decade after this incident

Or Back to the Future!

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Smiling Jack posted:

I had the same thing happen when I moved to Des Moines and people referred to ground Italian sausage sandwiches as "guinea grinders."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

It's not uncommon to see a Wap or Wop salad on the menu in New Orleans restaurants. Or at least it was 10-12 years ago.

It's an italian salad.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

You can order Jewish Coonass in New Orleans, I recently learned. Recommended!

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 2, 2018

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dante80 posted:

It is not a good idea to stay close to an ICBM TEL, when it is firing. The sound alone is enough to kill you. Those things are big enough to send things to orbit (the first TOPOL video was a satellite launch actually, from a converted rocket).

So how do they fire these things? Is it a timer, or do they set up everything up, then run 500 yards away and pull out a remote with (What I have to assume is) a comically over-sized red button to press.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
How important is that 10 m CEP when you're slinging nukes? I doubt a nuclear war would be counterforce only with achievement points given out for being able to nail a launch shaft as it opens.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mlmp08 posted:

The story itself has nothing to do with race. But then racists decided that drawing the tar baby as a black kid was a great idea. Just google image search it and you’ll get “interesting” results.

Yeah, it's pretty much the valknut, aka Wotan's knot. Where it started was completely innocuous, but now, um, don't wear a T-shirt with a valknut on it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JcDent posted:

How important is that 10 m CEP when you're slinging nukes? I doubt a nuclear war would be counterforce only with achievement points given out for being able to nail a launch shaft as it opens.

Its more to nail the missile defense radars I'd assume. Also bunkers.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Godholio posted:

I've only heard it used as one of the most expressly racist terms ever. I'm in my 30s and had no idea there was a "legit" meaning for it until the last page or so.

This.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Its more to nail the missile defense radars I'd assume. Also bunkers.

Bunkers. Specifically the opponents silos. A 10m CEP can be construed as an offensive weapon.

Specifically, Russia likes to construe Trident IIs with a theoretical stealthy-ish launch and possibly very short travel time as being able to destroy their ability to retaliate and is hence an offensive weapon that destabilizes the nuclear community.

e: When paired with the USs limited ICBM intercept capability to handle the ones missed in the 'pre-emptive' strike you can see why they might think that.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 2, 2018

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
If you want to take out a silo you have to hit it more or less, not just get close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

JcDent posted:

Very important for counter-force (sniping silos and C&C). Not so much for counter-value where you're just airbursting big bombs over population centers.