Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I really wish they'd make a full fledged or even just a DLC Predator game in this engine. I was super disappointed that GR:W only had the mission to kill the Predator and you couldn't actually play as him. Hell, they could make an AvP game where you have to take out Space Marine strongholds and the aliens serve as the wildlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Control Volume posted:

So the story is stupid and it sounds like the villains dont hold a candle to pagan min, but how does the gameplay hold up compared to far cry 4? Is it enough of an improvement that holding your nose through the cutscenes and random capture bullshit is worth it?

No, not really.

I really disliked this game initially because it didn't feel like it did much to change the formula, and the changes it introduced largely sucked in my mind. Then I swung back around as I started unlocking more of the map and it became a Far Cry game again. Then I swung right back to disliking it as it's worst aspects reared up again, and again, and again, and again to the detriment of the good stuff.

The Outposts are slightly larger/more vertical then they are in 4. But they are also far less staffed, and even in the last zone I was finding Outposts with 3-4 guys guarding them.

The gun variety feels worse then FC3/4. It's about on par with FC3, but less overall then FC4.

They removed that uh, on hit feel when you hit enemies? Where it "felt" like you hit the enemy and did damage. That's gone, and it's been replaced with ragdolling. Which doesn't feel nearly as good.

The map is far more flat then FC4, which is both good and bad. I didn't like the verticality of FC4 initially, but grew to love it. Here stuff is just kind of spread about.

The Resistance Meter stuff is basically just a meter for what you were already doing in FC3/4. Now rather then seeing the red on the map slowly clear up, you instead have a meter to tell you how things are going. It's not even a change.

Guns for Hire is basically the only new system and it's..........kind of not great honestly. Most of the Guns for Hire are either useless, extremely situational, or absurdly broken. By the end of the game for me almost all my staple GFH only had 20-30 kills because they reposition/dick around more then they actually fight dudes. They also can't be used in any of the story missions, so they just kind of don't exist for any of the close range missions you'd actually want them in. I'll add a point as they somewhat function as companions from a RPG, but they barely do that, they only have 3-4 lines of dialogue that largely repeat so you'll hear them well before you leave your first zone.

It's just constantly anti player. It constantly sends out hunting parties to knock you out, and you can't actually stop them. You are constantly forced into unskippable sequences to meet the big bads. You are constantly having your outposts/regions reset because you weren't supposed to have conquered that area yet in the story. The story constantly acts as though you didn't do things you totally did, because it doesn't fit what the writer wanted you to have done. It feels like two entirely different games.

And that's the biggest problem. It's two separate games. A fun loving Far Cry game where you take over Hope County Montana, and a weird psych story where you deal with this cult, and neither will ever meet anywhere near the middle. And while the Far Cry conquest part of the game is pretty good, it's not better then FC3/4, and in fact I'd argue is worse then both of them at the end of the day, because most of the changes they made take away from the Far Cry experience. Hell, I think I enjoyed Primal more then I enjoyed FC5.

e: Like the best aspects of the game are the Prepper Stashes, which are basically mini puzzle zones to get loot, and the fact they've announced all three DLC will be Blood Dragon sized. That's it. I'm placing all my hope in the DLC.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 2, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Rookersh posted:

No, not really.

:words:

e: Like the best aspects of the game are the Prepper Stashes, which are basically mini puzzle zones to get loot, and the fact they've announced all three DLC will be Blood Dragon sized. That's it. I'm placing all my hope in the DLC.

Totally agree on most of this, but especially the prepper stashes. I commented on it already in the thread but I love the little stories they tell, I love how they're all different, I like the puzzles on the ones that have puzzles, and whoever worked on that part of the game nailed it. My only complaint is that there wasn't more of that. The lighters just aren't the same.

My current biggest complaint is I'm at the final mission (or at least I've defeated all 3 lieutenants) and I no longer have cultists to shoot unless I go finish off the handful of bases and side missions that I have remaining. Removing them from the entire world is a bit much.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Calaveron posted:

gently caress the whole attack on John’s bunker is loving awful, holy gently caress why the gently caress are there so many armored LMG fuckers running around and who was the utter oval office who decided how to space out the checkpoints in here

Didn’t seem that bad to me? I breezed through most of it with an aluminum bat and a judicious use of explosives. Didn’t pull out a gun until the silo.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
holy balls I didn't know there was a second weapon wheel.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Over There posted:

Apart from fishing, the game isn't particularly interested in telling you about it.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice

Over There posted:

How do you access it? I remember reading the tutorial for it, but I can't for the life of me find it again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Chaitai posted:

How do you access it? I remember reading the tutorial for it, but I can't for the life of me find it again.

Rinkles posted:

Press R1 when already pressing L1 (weapon wheel). Or whatever that translates to on other platforms.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wonder how many people finish the game without knowing you can change firing modes and that you can drink liquor.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Rinkles posted:

Wonder how many people finish the game without knowing you can change firing modes and that you can drink liquor.

Haha, I just discovered that today. No idea what the booze does, but I got exp points for being drunk.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
To those guys complaining about the antagonists not being as good as Min from 4:

I didn't even remember him being that good compared to Vas. I decided to watch some videos since it's been a while.

After playing through this game I was kind of blown away by Min in the videos I just watched even though I didn't think a whole lot of him at the time. I might have been a bit harsh on the character, or my standards may be lower now, I don't know. Either way, you're right: he's way better than these schlubs.

I still think Vas is best, though. They could have done so much more with him.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Whoever decided burning enemies should run towards you and become invincible to further flamethrowing is responsible for making setting people on fire less fun.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I liked FC3 and skipped FC4, so this isn't feeling like more of the same yet. The story is dumb but I'm annoyed enough at the antagonists that I look forward to killing them at some point. Game is super pretty. I die a lot, hoping getting the right perks makes this go easier. Boomer is a good boy.

Dumb question, when I get to a shop I should just sell everything right? Do I lose the information I found on maps if I get rid of them?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Insanely good that Airdropping is the first and default option above fast travel once you unlock that perk :stoked:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Motherfucker posted:

Whoever decided burning enemies should run towards you and become invincible to further flamethrowing is responsible for making setting people on fire less fun.

they did that in all the far cry games though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Hobo Clown posted:

I liked FC3 and skipped FC4, so this isn't feeling like more of the same yet. The story is dumb but I'm annoyed enough at the antagonists that I look forward to killing them at some point. Game is super pretty. I die a lot, hoping getting the right perks makes this go easier. Boomer is a good boy.

Dumb question, when I get to a shop I should just sell everything right? Do I lose the information I found on maps if I get rid of them?

Yeah, sell everything. I'm not sure why they even have the maps as sellable items, it only serves to confuse players.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

in a sea of complaints I think the worst one I have is how you acquire guns. I felt like I could get almost any of them in FC4 if I dedicated myself to side missions but now legit more than half of the weapons are locked behind getting region meters to a certain level. One of them unlocked at like "level 8" motherfucker the game is practically gonna be over and void of outposts by then, christ. It reminds me of Just Cause 3 all over again, another game determined to barricade you off from having fun.

The real kicker is if you're playing COOP - I'm joining on a friend since we want to play the game together. What does the game do? Not count the main missions nor "resistance" meters we do towards my progress. So all the buyable weapons that require "1+ resistance" are locked for me unless I complete them in my own game. Goddamnit. :(

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

finished faith’s area last night. liked her story stuff more than john’s. still doesn’t make much sense, but the visuals are neat, I like the spooky stuff, and at least “the cultists follow her because they are insanely doped up on a hallucinogenic that’s loving everywhere including the water supply that takes them to a beautiful utopian gardenscape where they play with butterflies and are serenaded by a beautiful woman until they lose their mind” is an understandable explanation for why literally thousands of otherwise normal Montanans would be seduced into fighting for this group. plus it was mostly non-combat or completely hands off so I could just chill while she’s rambling on about whatever

the details about faith’s backstory were more interesting to me than John’s as well

plus I didn’t mind her popping up all the time to annoy me, i enjoyed getting to yell “PISS OFF GHOST” and rush her to punch her in the face or hit her with a shovel as soon as I saw her

gonna finish up her area and the couple of things I have left in john’s then head north

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
If they really wanted to make this game seriously immersive they should’ve given us plastic bags to pick up Boomer’s poops

e: and then give you perk points for being a responsible dog owner

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mr Scumbag posted:

To those guys complaining about the antagonists not being as good as Min from 4:

I didn't even remember him being that good compared to Vas. I decided to watch some videos since it's been a while.

After playing through this game I was kind of blown away by Min in the videos I just watched even though I didn't think a whole lot of him at the time. I might have been a bit harsh on the character, or my standards may be lower now, I don't know. Either way, you're right: he's way better than these schlubs.

I still think Vas is best, though. They could have done so much more with him.

Vas was great but Min was better because Min lasted the entire game. A harsh truth

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Noctone posted:

If they really wanted to make this game seriously immersive they should’ve given us plastic bags to pick up Boomer’s poops

That's unconstitutional.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This is probably one of the best co-op experiences I've had in a long time, I couldn't give 3 shits about the story because we honestly haven't even touched it that much in the 20 hours we have in it already. (we're afraid to stop the random events by beating any of the Seeds)

It's amazing how side tracked we can get just doing the side stuff or seeing how much trouble we can get into with the random events.

I can't disagree any harder on gun feel and combat, it feels better than entry in the series for me.
I do agree that weapon variety is a little sparse but I'm sure they'll add more to the game, their A+ support for ACO has me hopeful.

The Guns for Hire are so fun, I don't even care if they're broken or act goofy... it adds to the charm and they add a ton to the sandbox nature of the game.

And again, this is all in co-op, I probably wouldn't have given this game the time of day if it wasn't co-op honestly but I'm ultimately very glad that I got it and can't wait to see what else they do with it.

I just hope that they don't focus all of the post-release content on the Arcade mode.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am here to inform the public that Jess Black also destroy helicopters, she usually shots a fire arrow at the pilot, that jumps on fire to the ground.

*edit*

I did some field testing, and she kind of suck at this role. Guess I am going back to the sniper lady :(

*edit* after further testing, the sniper lady also kind of sucks

Tei fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 2, 2018

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Deakul posted:

This is probably one of the best co-op experiences I've had in a long time, I couldn't give 3 shits about the story because we honestly haven't even touched it that much in the 20 hours we have in it already. (we're afraid to stop the random events by beating any of the Seeds)

It's amazing how side tracked we can get just doing the side stuff or seeing how much trouble we can get into with the random events.

I can't disagree any harder on gun feel and combat, it feels better than entry in the series for me.
I do agree that weapon variety is a little sparse but I'm sure they'll add more to the game, their A+ support for ACO has me hopeful.

The Guns for Hire are so fun, I don't even care if they're broken or act goofy... it adds to the charm and they add a ton to the sandbox nature of the game.

And again, this is all in co-op, I probably wouldn't have given this game the time of day if it wasn't co-op honestly but I'm ultimately very glad that I got it and can't wait to see what else they do with it.

I just hope that they don't focus all of the post-release content on the Arcade mode.

This is where I'm at as well. My girlfriend and I are playing through and having an absolute blast, minus every time the game pulls us out of our fun to have an actor deliver a 20 minute monologue. The story is SO bad that every time a mission starts, it ends with us turning the game off for the night. But then the next day, we're still right back there flying planes under bridges and siccing dogs on cultists.

I was pretty scared knowing the Bioshock Infinite writer was on this, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. Turns out I was right all along.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 2, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tei posted:

I am here to inform the public that Jess Black also destroy helicopters, she usually shots a fire arrow at the pilot, that jumps on fire to the ground.

*edit*

I did some field testing, and she kind of suck at this role. Guess I am going back to the sniper lady :(

It never gets old to see Grace pull a Quiet and shoot a guy out of his airplane

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they did that in all the far cry games though.

Now they absolutely did not loving path around every obstacle with pinpoint precision to throw themselves bodily into you, knocking you over than setting you on fire so that you have to get up, than pat yourself out and THAN if you survive that pull out your flamethrower.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

shortspecialbus posted:

I kind of guessed what was coming so I was ready for it, and I sat there not doing it. I failed the mission. It's not automatic exactly but you can't move forward without doing it.

On the one hand, I feel like slightly less of a monster.

On the other, it would be more interesting if you could and it altered stuff but I guess that means they have to make two sets of cut scenes.

It is actually kind of cool how you got conditioned to do that, though. I just immediately turned the corner and blasted him.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It would be cool if the narrative weren’t held together by a dozen different contrivances

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

It would be cool if the narrative weren’t held together by a dozen different contrivances

Only a dozen? Can you zip your copy of the game and SEED it?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else experience serious performance issues with a dual core processor? My G3258 OC'd to 4.2GHz seems to be limiting performance - I get the same 24fps out of my R9 290X no matter what resolution or quality settings I use.

Wondering if it'd be worth it to upgrade to a i3-7100...

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

call to action posted:

Anyone else experience serious performance issues with a dual core processor? My G3258 OC'd to 4.2GHz seems to be limiting performance - I get the same 24fps out of my R9 290X no matter what resolution or quality settings I use.

Wondering if it'd be worth it to upgrade to a i3-7100...

Is this a joke

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
No? Is there a better place to discuss performance issues?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

call to action posted:

You, uh, need to upgrade everything my dude.

edit: is this a belated april fools joke? :thunk:

Deakul fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 2, 2018

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Ending poo poo: The only way I can rationalize this ending is that Joseph set the nukes as a 'gently caress you' button in the very event he failed (or if ultimately succeeded too, considering the whole 'slaughtering every animal for food' and stocking big bunkers, he was always going to nuke everyone). If you walk away you don't get nuked, every family member's bunker is a nuclear weapon's bunker with... you guessed it, no loving nukes inside. The dude nuked the valley himself so he could win against the unbeatable video game protagonist and likely kicked off a global thermonuclear war, meaning he was 'right' in the sense that he caused the end of the world to be right about the end of the world.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 2, 2018

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

call to action posted:

Yes.

I would suggest the year 2018.

Sorry to be a dick, but you should just look at the system requirements for the game. Grab an i5 and you should be ok.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So my video card is literally the recommended one from the OP and it's too slow, huh? Based on what I've seen I can just throw a new processor or possibly processor+mobo combo in there and use my old DDR3 RAM and video card.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

call to action posted:

Considering my video card is literally the recommended AMD card for the game, I think I'm gonna look elsewhere for advice, thanks.

you just told us you have a ludicrously insufficient cpu

I dunno what the gently caress to tell you my dude

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

Ending poo poo: The only way I can rationalize this ending is that Joseph set the nukes as a 'gently caress you' button in the very event he failed. If you walk away you don't get nuked, every family member's bunker is a nuclear weapon's bunker with... you guessed it, no loving nukes inside. The dude nuked the valley himself so he could win against the unbeatable video game protagonist and likely kicked off a global thermonuclear war, meaning he was 'right' in the sense that he caused the end of the world to be right about the end of the world.

Apparently there are multiple radio broadcasts through the game that tell of escalating global tensions which culminate at the ending of the game. Of course, this doesn't explain the alternate endings but perhaps more importantly it might have worked better if they FORCED THIS VERY IMPORTANT EXPOSITION ON THE CHARACTER EVEN HALF AS VIGILANTLY AS THEY DID THEIR TERRIBLE MONOLOGUES.

Instead, we were all forced to be abducted multiple times while flying helicopters, wingsuiting and scaling towers only to be railroaded into an ending that makes no sense because the actual information to explain it was completely ignored. Not that the ending would be good either way.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

call to action posted:

So my video card is literally the recommended one from the OP and it's too slow, huh? Based on what I've seen I can just throw a new processor or possibly processor+mobo combo in there and use my old DDR3 RAM and video card.

And I was worried my i5 from 2015 would have trouble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

Apparently there are multiple radio broadcasts through the game that tell of escalating global tensions which culminate at the ending of the game. Of course, this doesn't explain the alternate endings but perhaps more importantly it might have worked better if they FORCED THIS VERY IMPORTANT EXPOSITION ON THE CHARACTER EVEN HALF AS VIGILANTLY AS THEY DID THEIR TERRIBLE MONOLOGUES.

Instead, we were all forced to be abducted multiple times while flying helicopters, wingsuiting and scaling towers only to be railroaded into an ending that makes no sense because the actual information to explain it was completely ignored. Not that the ending would be good either way.

I caught that actually, I found a few broadcasts towards the end of the game (the trick is you need to actually do the radio jammer mission, I think) but there's just no way I can justify mentally a random nuking in the middle of the bum-gently caress south with such perfect dramatic timing, I think Seedy's plan the entire time was to force the nuclear apocalypse after gathering all his disciples and resources because it would 'clense' the earth of world order, than he'd pop out of the ground as the post apocalyptic leader, a nuking would definitely tip that already razor-edge tension after all and its just too convenient that all his family live in nuclear weapons bunkers.