Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The art in the latest chapter is mindblowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

skasion posted:

Today I am going to wake up and sit at my drawing board and not stop until I have put at least 1000 lines upon this demon cock, for the sake of photorealism.

But it's the opposite of that, he's trying to emulate Gustav Dore's engraving style. Which is so much better than photorealism but a bit absurd to do in a comic series.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Her face is a little wide isn’t it?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Childbirth can do that to you

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Pierson posted:

They do this with everything apparently. Promised Neverland especially lost a ton of detail.
edit: actually I'm gonna yank most of what I said cuz I don't want to get screamed at by some MS person stumbling in here for saying anything about their cleaning process vs what I'm familiar with but yes, it's not surprising that most of their releases have very similar problems with their appearance by virtue of cleaning methods

But yeah it does mean a group's hands are tied if they wait for digital raws when they aren't released concurrently. Berserk turns around fast and even still there are speedscans out almost immediately; unless evil genius enjoys being even more stressed out when their stuff is sniped out from under them this is way better than nothing.

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 25, 2018

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
oh no :(

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ccs posted:

But it's the opposite of that, he's trying to emulate Gustav Dore's engraving style. Which is so much better than photorealism but a bit absurd to do in a comic series.

"a bit"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think it's probably to compensate for the magazines being printed on terrible cheap paper so the scans are never great.

Where as Young Animal obviously have access to the source images so their scans are going to be done on better hardware from Miura's own images, assuming he's not fully digital anyway nowadays.

Anecdotally, he supposedly insists on continuing to work with actual paper, ink, etc. And with no assistants/trashing whole pages if he makes the slightest error.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Miura has worked with a small handful of rotating assistants (they're even, unusually for the industry, co-credited as "Studio GAGA") almost his entire career. The actual extent of these assistants' work is unknown though, IIRC.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm actually quite glad that we know extremely little about Miura on the whole. It's clear his privacy is important to him and he still has it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

I'm actually quite glad that we know extremely little about Miura on the whole. It's clear his privacy is important to him and he still has it.

Legend has it, if you ever meet and talk to Miura, he turns you into an assistant for a decade.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Crabtree posted:

Legend has it, if you ever meet and talk to Miura, he turns you into an assistant for a decade.

The trick to meeting him is to draw a face on an egg and carry it around for a day. At midnight he will come and take you away to the art dungeon.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I've been waiting for this since I played the Dreamcast game in 1999 and we were teased briefly that she could be saved. Miura, you better be almost done with this. I started reading this back in 1998 and I'm getting loving old and more diabetic.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Based on that statement from half a decade back, are we under 100 remaining chapters yet?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Based on that statement from half a decade back, are we under 100 remaining chapters yet?

Probably not; more like ~135 by my napkin math.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Probably not; more like ~135 by my napkin math.

And just running with the hyperbole-high estimate from a page or two ago at six chapters and 10 months of break (12/(6+10))means an average of 4.5 chapters in a year.

135/4.5 = 30
Add in a 10-month break starting this week

Berserk will finish at the end of the month of January in 2049. Shortly before the events of the Blade Runner sequel start actually happening.

Diabetic posted:

I've been waiting for this since I played the Dreamcast game in 1999 and we were teased briefly that she could be saved. Miura, you better be almost done with this. I started reading this back in 1998 and I'm getting loving old and more diabetic.

Holy poo poo... I thought I started reading this in the 2000s, but I guess not. I'm.. I'm too old to remember when I started reading this and watched fansubs of the first anime series :corsair:

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Andrigaar posted:

And just running with the hyperbole-high estimate from a page or two ago at six chapters and 10 months of break (12/(6+10))means an average of 4.5 chapters in a year.

135/4.5 = 30

Berserk will finish at the end of the month of January in 2049. Shortly before the events of the Blade Runner sequel start actually happening.

And my children will be loving stoked

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Andrigaar posted:

135/4.5 = 30

Holy poo poo... I thought I started reading this in the 2000s, but I guess not. I'm.. I'm too old to remember when I started reading this and watched fansubs of the first anime series :corsair:

Berserk has already been going for almost 30 years (started 1989), what's another 30?

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Whooping Crabs posted:

Berserk has already been going for almost 30 years (started 1989), what's another 30?

Needs to be less, because if One Piece finishes and has 4000 chapters Miura is loving up.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Hello new friends!

I just started watching the 90s Berserk anime for the first time and Guts' theme song is extremely my jam. I can't stop listening to it.

Once I finish the anime where's a good chapter to pick up from there? Or should I just start from the beginning?

Also I've heard the newer Berserk anime was bad, did it ever get better?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd just start from the beginning, there is enough different/changed that it's worth it.

The new anime started bad and stayed bad.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
it got worse actually

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
The 1997 anime was good but it was made with the knowledge it wouldn’t continue, so they omitted a lot of things so it could have a self contained story that neatly wraps up. So just read the whole thing. And if the version you’re reading has a “missing” chapter or a X.5 chzpter somewhere around Griffith’s apotheosis, I’d recommend you skip it till you’re caught up. It demonstrates some ideas about the world’s cosmology that Miura either doesn’t hold canon anymore, or just feels that it works better if you don’t know that much of the internal workings of the universe, and I’m inclined to agree. It’ll just confuse you if you read it in its original place.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Berserk 2016 guts South Park hobble dot gif

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Did someone CLANG?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Viridiant posted:

Hello new friends!

I just started watching the 90s Berserk anime for the first time and Guts' theme song is extremely my jam. I can't stop listening to it.

Once I finish the anime where's a good chapter to pick up from there? Or should I just start from the beginning?

Also I've heard the newer Berserk anime was bad, did it ever get better?

90s berserk anime removed skull knight, my favorite character. It also removed Puck, who has told at least three funny jokes iirc. I would definitely start from the beginning.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Puck is essential to counter the darkness of certain arcs of Berserk. Like he's pure comic relief now, sure, but there are points in the story where he's basically the audience surrogate while Guts goes completely off the deep end.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 2, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Puck is essential to counter the darkness of certain arcs of Berserk. Like he's pure comic relief now, sure, but there are points in the story where he's basically the audience surrogate while Guts go completely off the deep end.

He is also important for telling Guts about the location they are at now in the manga.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Puck also is a general annoyance that Guts needed to stop being such a loving grim dark poo poo head, but some of his antics go overboard just to make sure he isn't in the right so much as just a voice of compassion and empathy.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
the 90s anime was about the golden arc, so puck and skull knight were barely mentioned. i think guts saw skull knight once then and puck is only in the intro chapters.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Billzasilver posted:

90s berserk anime removed skull knight, my favorite character. It also removed Puck, who has told at least three funny jokes iirc. I would definitely start from the beginning.

I makes sense that they didn't introduce Puck when you consider that he would've only been in that one episode plus maybe a single scene later on.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Puck is essential to counter the darkness of certain arcs of Berserk. Like he's pure comic relief now, sure, but there are points in the story where he's basically the audience surrogate while Guts goes completely off the deep end.

Especially during the Lost Children arc he was an absolutely essential part of the storytelling.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Someone needs to get Evil Genius guys the digi raws because goddamn

Ok that's a big difference since I read this chapter on Mangastream after being told to give Berserk a try and found the art to dark to make out the details.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

temple posted:

the 90s anime was about the golden arc, so puck and skull knight were barely mentioned. i think guts saw skull knight once then and puck is only in the intro chapters.

SK doesn’t get lots of face time in the Golden Age but it’s absolutely essential to the coherence of the plot that he keeps what little he does get, because he saves Guts and Casca from the interstice. Without him they’d both get sacrificed and die, simple as that. The anime handles it by not handling it. Fade to black and Guts is just alive elsewhere later. It’s surprisingly elegantly executed, like the whole show is really, but yeah whoops. When they started production the manga had only just gotten up to Lost Children, but even then he was already important enough that they should never have cut him.

skasion fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 3, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

If I remember correctly the 90s anime was supposed to get 26 episodes instead of 25, which presumably would have involved some kind of explanation as to how Guts and Casca survived the Eclipse.

On the other hand I'm almost glad it worked out this way because I can hardly imagine a better pitch for "read the manga" than that ending. :v:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Edit: Thank you.

Sheesh skasion, use a spoiler tag! They said they just started.

The anime beginning ending is perfect. I immediately started watching from the beginning when I finished the last episode, and there were the right amount of questions and answers to lead to the manga.

But yeah after the anime, read from chapter 1. And don't listen to the Black Swordsman haters. Those first five chapters set the foundation.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 3, 2018

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
start from the golden age arc, skip back to the black swordsman. thank me later.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Just start from the beginning, it's not complicated

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Conveniently Comixology is running a sale on manga published by Dark Hourse for the whole of April, so I'll pick up volume 1 for $5, and see if it grabs me.

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=23295&lang=1&23295_pg=1&cu=0

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

OhFunny posted:

Conveniently Comixology is running a sale on manga published by Dark Hourse for the whole of April, so I'll pick up volume 1 for $5, and see if it grabs me.

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=23295&lang=1&23295_pg=1&cu=0

Volume 1 is basically just the first chapter because 90s Miura was a madman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

temple posted:

start from the golden age arc, skip back to the black swordsman. thank me later.

I shant