Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Games have started occasionally doing tutorials like that, having the player character train somebody else. It's a good way to make the player feel powerful in the beginning, I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jukebox Hero posted:

Games have started occasionally doing tutorials like that, having the player character train somebody else. It's a good way to make the player feel powerful in the beginning, I feel.

One bit I like in Dead Space 3 is that Isaac still has a video log he found in Dead Space 2 of some guy telling people they can use Kinesis to lob Necromorph spikes, and shares it with the rest of his group.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On that note I wish that the main character would do exposition some day, like not even audiolog stuff, just poo poo they figure out from mandatory cutscenes. All like "OK, we have the same tattoo, members of your family are given that tattoo at a young age, and you lost your son at 15. Since you aren't telling me what that means how about I guess? Are you my dad? If so I'm extremely disappointed. :mad:"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BioEnchanted posted:

On that note I wish that the main character would do exposition some day, like not even audiolog stuff, just poo poo they figure out from mandatory cutscenes. All like "OK, we have the same tattoo, members of your family are given that tattoo at a young age, and you lost your son at 15. Since you aren't telling me what that means how about I guess? Are you my dad? If so I'm extremely disappointed. :mad:"

That's used to subtle effect in Horizon Zero Dawn, although it's never stated outright. Every family has their own unique facepaint design, which you can figure out by Sona, Varl, and Vala all having the same markings. This extends even to minor NPCs like Nakoa and Yan, or Olara and Brom. So Aloy being a fiery redhead AND not having any facepaint (because she has no family line) makes her stick out even more. It's how every Nora already recognizes you as "that outcast girl" even if they've never heard about you before.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Jukebox Hero posted:

Started? Final Fantasy 7 did that 20 years ago.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Isn't that the concept behind the entire runtime of the new God of War?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Hurk is one of my favourite characters from FarCry 5. He's such a lovable idiot, explaining that he calls everyone 'bro' regardless of gender identity, which I thought was the developers poking at people who say those kinds of things, but it just turns out that he's a very friendly dude who wants to be everyone's friend. Then he blows things up with a huge rocket launcher.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Morpheus posted:

Hurk is one of my favourite characters from FarCry 5. He's such a lovable idiot, explaining that he calls everyone 'bro' regardless of gender identity, which I thought was the developers poking at people who say those kinds of things, but it just turns out that he's a very friendly dude who wants to be everyone's friend. Then he blows things up with a huge rocket launcher.

All the companion dialogues are pretty great, but Hurk and Sharky just mix so well. Edit: apparently they were both voiced by the same guy as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1iUCK06iY8

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 15:19 on Apr 2, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mierenneuker posted:

All the companion dialogues are pretty great, but Hurk and Sharky just mix so well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1iUCK06iY8

Wait, hold on. Please, please, say chimpanzees with dynamite are actually something in the game :stonklol:.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, hold on. Please, please, say chimpanzees with dynamite are actually something in the game :stonklol:.

No, not in Far Cry 5.

Far Cry 3 however...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBBoO5xIChQ&t=41s

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

IIRC Hurk has missions involving his attempts to weaponize chimpanzees in FC3 so they might just be referencing that.

^^^ beaten ofc

edit2 drat he really cleaned himself up after 3

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I liked the tutorializing in the Arkham games, where Batman is running through his plan of attack in his head as the button prompts come up to show you what to do.

He already knows what he’s doing, but sometimes it’s smart to pull up the mental checklist to make sure you follow all the steps right.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Rygar definitely has a... unique take on the Typhon monster - it's a Hydra, but the 5 heads are crying baby heads. It's loving weird, and annoyingly the boss I'm stuck on right now. The games lack of items is starting to be a problem, as I have one healing item, one mana restoring item, and that's it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Skyrim’s static talking heads style of conversation generally kind of sucks, but it’s amazing how well it works in VR. Instead of an awkward zoom in and static camera, I can futz around and gawk at the scenery while Ringewind the Morose or whoever goes on and on about needing to slay the archdeacon or whatever the hell I don’t care about.

Overall it’s just a good time in VR, and I’m ind of glad I never bothered much with Skyrim before now. The immersion thing never quite clicked for me with older ES games. Tons and tons of sort of shallow content was never a huge draw for me except for some time I dropped into Oblivion, but for a VR world wandering around aimlessly is a real good time. :allears:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One bit I like in Dead Space 3 is that Isaac still has a video log he found in Dead Space 2 of some guy telling people they can use Kinesis to lob Necromorph spikes, and shares it with the rest of his group.

Thus was a great tutorial moment in a game.

I also dug how it was done in Gears of War 2. Marcus and Dom are hanging out with one of the series rookie Carmine characters and youre given the option of getting straight into the mission, or having the veterans show the new guy a few refreshers. If you choose to do the tutorial there's a bit of extra flavour dialogue which I appreciated... but as always, the option to skip is good.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Bought Hollow Knight because it was on sale and I'd heard it was cool. I like the atmosphere, although having to buy the mapping tools is mildly annoying. However the building up the town on the surface is kind of nice and I hope that the town keeps filling up with NPCs. Probably not though, it's not that kind of game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Skyrim’s static talking heads style of conversation generally kind of sucks, but it’s amazing how well it works in VR. Instead of an awkward zoom in and static camera, I can futz around and gawk at the scenery while Ringewind the Morose or whoever goes on and on about needing to slay the archdeacon or whatever the hell I don’t care about.

Overall it’s just a good time in VR, and I’m ind of glad I never bothered much with Skyrim before now. The immersion thing never quite clicked for me with older ES games. Tons and tons of sort of shallow content was never a huge draw for me except for some time I dropped into Oblivion, but for a VR world wandering around aimlessly is a real good time. :allears:

I feel the same way - Skyrim's a lovely, shallow game with a large sandbox, but in VR, it's a very immersive sandbox, where just walking around feels really cool, like you're a fantasy tourist. I've tried to play it at least half a dozen times, but only in VR have I actually gotten anywhere in it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I can't get over how much I enjoy Roland being a shockingly competent jRPG protagonist in Ni No Kuni 2.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I can't get over how much I enjoy Roland being a shockingly competent jRPG protagonist in Ni No Kuni 2.

I love how okay he is with his situation

"Hmmm let's see here, I just witnessed a nuclear missile wipe out a major city, I seem to have been teleported to the magical world of Redwall, I'm 30 years younger and there is a small catboy pointing a dagger at me, guess there's only one thing for I, the president of the Not United States of America, to do!"

*Proceeds to gun down several mouse people*

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Pulsarcat posted:

I love how okay he is with his situation

"Hmmm let's see here, I just witnessed a nuclear missile wipe out a major city, I seem to have been teleported to the magical world of Redwall, I'm 30 years younger and there is a small catboy pointing a dagger at me, guess there's only one thing for I, the president of the Not United States of America, to do!"

*Proceeds to gun down several mouse people*

He doesn't goof around, he doesn't, like, humorously trip and fall, and he plans and executes strategies like someone that is/was in charge of a powerful nation should.

Later, he even pulls off a plan to deceive his allies in order to make the enemy think he's betraying them, but in fact it's a con to get him into the enemy's lair..

Frankly the game should be about him moreso than catboy, though even Evan is competent in his own right, albeit a little naive.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Mafia III does an interesting thing regarding its predecessor. It takes place many years later, in a completely different setting, with an original protagonist with an entirely new storyline but one of your Captains is Vito Scaletta, the protagonist from Mafia 2, and his side story is all about getting back at the people who hosed over Joe in the previous game.

It's shallow, unfortunately, but a nice way to follow up without making an entire game out of it.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Morpheus posted:

He doesn't goof around, he doesn't, like, humorously trip and fall, and he plans and executes strategies like someone that is/was in charge of a powerful nation should.

Later, he even pulls off a plan to deceive his allies in order to make the enemy think he's betraying them, but in fact it's a con to get him into the enemy's lair..

Frankly the game should be about him moreso than catboy, though even Evan is competent in his own right, albeit a little naive.

My favourite part of that whole chapter? Mausinger.

The fact that Mausinger isn't even remotely fooled by any of it was great, he easily sees through the whole thing, tricks Roland and even gets him to lead them to the Mark of Kings. If Roland hadn't enlisted the help of fantasyland Q Mausinger would have won.
I also love how unlike the other rulers, the game goes out of it's way to actually establish his motivations ahead of time to the point where his actions were understandable given what he truly believed.
Hell, he was the only ruler that didn't turn on his own people, it's just that his definition of "His own people" was a tad...narrow
And again, unlike the other rulers, the fact he turned out to be a badass was just hilarious

Honestly, considering he was a ham flavoured mouse man, Mausinger was a surprisingly good character.

I had a fair few issues with the games plot and characters, but Roland and Mausinger weren't two of them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Samuringa posted:

Mafia III does an interesting thing regarding its predecessor. It takes place many years later, in a completely different setting, with an original protagonist with an entirely new storyline but one of your Captains is Vito Scaletta, the protagonist from Mafia 2, and his side story is all about getting back at the people who hosed over Joe in the previous game.

It's shallow, unfortunately, but a nice way to follow up without making an entire game out of it.

Mafia 2 followed on from 1 as well, though in a...bit more :smith: way I guess.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ni No Kuni 2: The apprentice armorer is named Nu Bi and the girl who sends you to deal with a monster her people are on the run from is named Hoi Den. I love pun names and lack of difficulty be damned I love this game. :3:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I don't get the second one.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

The Dogfolk names are so dumb

Let's see, you have Yip Yip, Ya Pi, Hau Ling, Bao Wao and Ah Chu.
There's also Pi Chi and Min Ti.
The one with an eye patch is Yo Ho-Ho.

And of course, Fai Do.

The Grimalkin (Cat people) names are tame in comparison

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I low key love all their names the best, because they throw in a few legit Chinese ones

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Olive! posted:

"hiding" with an appropriately chipper cockney accent

"oi there guv'nah we been hoidin' from the coppers the last fortnight innit by crikey"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Olive! posted:

Imagine an Irishman saying hiding.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is the game translated by the same team that translates the Dragon Quest games?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Parallel realities do not just exist side-by-side-by-side in neat rows.
that's exactly what the loving word parallel means, now i can mildly accept what you say(even though i don't think the game itself ever says this) but again we are talking about infinity if one moment can spawn infinite universes then every moment can and her efforts are still likely killing infinite good men.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Elfgames posted:

that's exactly what the loving word parallel means, now i can mildly accept what you say(even though i don't think the game itself ever says this) but again we are talking about infinity if one moment can spawn infinite universes then every moment can and her efforts are still likely killing infinite good men.

Time gods can do whatever they feel like because they are by definition gods of time.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Mafia III:

-When you drive through a tunnel your radio sound will get all fizzy

-It feels really good to sneak around a heavily guarded place, taking out sentry after sentry, enemy after enemy, completely inconspicuous until you reach your goal.

-After you've whittled down the region bosses resources, you gotta face them. Since you get bonuses from "recruiting" them instead of just gunning them down, that should be your main objective. It would be a pain in the rear end to clear a path through the entire place they're bunkered in, but all you need to do is sneak on the Boss and grab him; as soon as you do that, no matter who else is still inside or even if they see you doing it, you just gotta press Circle, recruit him and everyone just shrugs and goes away. Very silly, and a bit game breaking, but a plus for what would be a very annoying mechanic.

-They're still pulling some nice musical setpieces

-You have money in your Wallet, but if you die, you lose half of it. To avoid that, you have a safe in your house where you can store it for later use. Also, your captains' business regularly makes revenue that you gotta collect. Both of those would be a pain in the rear end, except one of the first bonuses you get is a Consiglieri you can call anytime to store your cash safely for you, and her first upgrade is that she also collects all your earnings while she's doing that.

-Police will be more or less persistent on chasing you depending on the region you are. Lower income, they'll just look around for a while and go away. Higher income, poo poo gonna go down.

-Sometimes you have to kill someone's bodyguard and they might be in the middle of roughing someone up, terrorizing workers or just being all around assholes to people. Usually, you'd have to take care and minimize your losses, but here you can just toss a grenade or molotov and gently caress it. Lincoln ain't a hero and if there's no witness, there's no trouble.

Overall this is the best kind of game that takes place in this historic period. You get to enjoy the cool music and the nice cars while also being able to shoot racists, it's win-win.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Elfgames posted:

There is no good Booker. Booker being a net negative is a constant. If you missed the game's constants/variables digressions then you really need to check the source material.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Samuringa posted:

Mafia III:

-When you drive through a tunnel your radio sound will get all fizzy

-It feels really good to sneak around a heavily guarded place, taking out sentry after sentry, enemy after enemy, completely inconspicuous until you reach your goal.

-After you've whittled down the region bosses resources, you gotta face them. Since you get bonuses from "recruiting" them instead of just gunning them down, that should be your main objective. It would be a pain in the rear end to clear a path through the entire place they're bunkered in, but all you need to do is sneak on the Boss and grab him; as soon as you do that, no matter who else is still inside or even if they see you doing it, you just gotta press Circle, recruit him and everyone just shrugs and goes away. Very silly, and a bit game breaking, but a plus for what would be a very annoying mechanic.

-They're still pulling some nice musical setpieces

-You have money in your Wallet, but if you die, you lose half of it. To avoid that, you have a safe in your house where you can store it for later use. Also, your captains' business regularly makes revenue that you gotta collect. Both of those would be a pain in the rear end, except one of the first bonuses you get is a Consiglieri you can call anytime to store your cash safely for you, and her first upgrade is that she also collects all your earnings while she's doing that.

-Police will be more or less persistent on chasing you depending on the region you are. Lower income, they'll just look around for a while and go away. Higher income, poo poo gonna go down.

-Sometimes you have to kill someone's bodyguard and they might be in the middle of roughing someone up, terrorizing workers or just being all around assholes to people. Usually, you'd have to take care and minimize your losses, but here you can just toss a grenade or molotov and gently caress it. Lincoln ain't a hero and if there's no witness, there's no trouble.

Overall this is the best kind of game that takes place in this historic period. You get to enjoy the cool music and the nice cars while also being able to shoot racists, it's win-win.

That Enzo Conti mission was good, especially after he recognizes Lincoln and immediately is all "hey, buddy, sorry about what happened. gently caress that other guy, I'm totally with you on your revenge quest!" To add to your list:

-Donovan (your CIA buddy) is the best character in the game. He's a likeable rear end in a top hat, but he and Lincoln act like actual friends, unlike the rest of Linc's allies. Donovan gives no fucks about anything other than fighting communism and helping his buddy get revenge. The "Stones Unturned" dlc is basically The Lincoln and Donovan Show, and it's great.

-I may have mentioned this here before, but if you go into a "no coloreds allowed" business, you get marked as Trespassing unless/until you go into the kitchen or back room. It's terrible of course, but also kinda neat that they put in those details.

-Shooting and/or stabbing racist not-KKK assholes is great. Samuringa mentioned it, but it bears repeating.

-This outfit, car, and decal from Stones Unturned (mostly the outfit):

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 06:24 on Apr 3, 2018

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Somfin posted:

There is no good Booker. Booker being a net negative is a constant. If you missed the game's constants/variables digressions then you really need to check the source material.

i think the source material is wrong and dumb.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Is the game translated by the same team that translates the Dragon Quest games?
I think so--the first one was, wasn't it?--and that's why you should give more credit to them on Hoi Den: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hoyden

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Elfgames posted:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Elfgames posted:

Literary criticism 101: The source material cannot be wrong about itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Somfin posted:

Literary criticism 101: The source material cannot be wrong about itself.

The 201 course introduces unreliable narratives.