Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Barry posted:

Speaking of Discogs, Exile in Guyville is being reissued and the Discogs sellers are falling all over themselves to list their copies

This was how I found out Ghosts of the Great Highway and Eight Arms to Hold You were being reissued

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

camoseven posted:

I am not paying more than $100 for it, but maybe other people are? Also they aren’t pop punk, but there are a lot of pop punk records going for a ton of money so check Discogs

yeah they are

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

beefnoodle posted:

Some reissues of old friends. Going to pick up Jumping Jive and Beat Crazy when they come out as well.

Fuuuuucck. I love Joe Jackson and all, but I don't think I paid even a tenth of what those reissues cost for my copies of those three albums.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Moe_Rahn posted:

Fuuuuucck. I love Joe Jackson and all, but I don't think I paid even a tenth of what those reissues cost for my copies of those three albums.

:agreed: Not cheap, but I have my original issues from the 80s, in all their battered glory, (I'm an old) and am happy to have these new ones to listen to these for another 30 years.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

i hate when they lose the original art for a repress

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Brilliant, also annoyed I didn't think of it first.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

The Senator Giroux posted:

This was how I found out Ghosts of the Great Highway and Eight Arms to Hold You were being reissued

Oh drat, really happy I kept my marbled copy of GotGH and sold my black copy last year.

I'm so glad it's getting reissued. That album is stellar.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Not to piss on anyone's parade or anything, but I've never seen a copy of Look Sharp! that cost any more than three or four dollars. It shouldn't be too hard to get a nice copy of that pretty much anywhere.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Yeah, no. This is what I’m paying for:

code:
100% Analog Mastering From Real Analog Tapes!
Mastered by Kevin Gray At Cohearent Audio
Dead Quiet 180-Gram Vinyl Pressed At RTI
Old Style "Debossed" Single-Jacket Printed By Stoughton

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
the twinkly philly emo revival

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Apparently this is not an April Fools prank. Third Man's reprinting Trout Mask Replica complete with Trout Mask.

quote:

In full partnership with the Zappa Family Trust and to celebrate the relaunch of the seminal Bizarre label imprint, Third Man Records is proud to announce its 36th Vault package focused squarely on Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band's Trout Mask Replica.

Out of print on vinyl for nearly ten years, this remaster was helmed by industry legend Bob Ludwig and cut by the estimable Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman mastering. Utilizing crystalline-quality safety masters kept in the Zappa family vault for decades by the trustworthy Joe Travers, the audio here is positively glorious. Every last skronk breathes full life into the room. Every twisted guitar figure uncurls onto paths previously unpaved. Every last bark and howl shines resolute through the vast emptiness of your mind.

Previous countless “Trout Mask Replica” repressings used scans of scans of scans of the cover image, but for Vault Package #36 the original Cal Schenkel cover photo has been tracked down and reproduced here at its clearest — its resolution from the original release in 1969. If you’ve only ever seen a jpg online or fuzzy, smeared-looking CD issues from the 90’s, be prepared to be wowed by the fully engaging spectrum this iconic image casts. This 2xLP is pressed on heavyweight 180-gram fruitcake fish-scale colored vinyl for that full-on frenetic feeling.

The French-only 7-inch single of “Pachuco Cadaver” b/w “Wild Life” will also be included as part of this overreaching package. As the only single ever pulled from this admittedly dense album, this is the first time EVER that “Pachuco Cadaver” has been repressed and comes wonderfully housed in a replica glue-pocket picture sleeve and pressed on a white colored vinyl. ALL vinyl in this package is lovingly pressed at Third Man Pressing’s state-of-the-art plant in Detroit, Michigan for that extra-special attention to detail.

Additionally, Third Man Records has undertaken the creation of the first ever replica trout mask. Much in the spirit of the cardboard cutouts included in original copies of the Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s album, this mask will be a hit at Halloween parties and Duchampian celebrations for eons to come. If that’s not enough, Third Man has commissioned an impressive, striking fabric patch that reproduces the Trout Mask cover art, an insignia that will signify any wearer as a follower in the Captain’s army.

And if that’s not enough, the revered illustrator Jess Rotter of Rotter and Friends has run the Trout Mask cover through her inimitable style and cooked up an inspired line-drawing rendering that beautifully graces a sturdy, durable tote bag to hold all these wonderful sundries in.

Finally, as a testament to the inspiring life of Don Van Vliet, Third Man has lovingly printed Jack White’s epitaph for the man in glorious, iridescent metallic silkscreen broadside wonderment. Fitting in the LP jacket and fitting as a tribute, this evocative poem was originally published in March 2011 issue of MOJO Magazine.

While “Trout Mask Replica” kicks off the partnership with a bang, do be on the lookout for even more avant garde and mind-bending works in the future coming from the Bizarre/Third Man unification. Minds will continue to be blown, barriers will be destroyed, verbiage will be significantly hype-worthy.

Subscriptions to the Vault are live NOW and are open through April 30th. Don’t miss out.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So it’s only available if you join their subscription service? drat.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
looks like it's only $60, which seems reasonable

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My friend and I just noticed the shuttlecock on the tote plus a shuttlecock on the Captain's hat. Fast. Bublous. Tapered. :monocle:

Ballz posted:

So it’s only available if you join their subscription service? drat.
Yep, but at least they only charge you for the quarterly package, you don't have to pay for the whole year in advance.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Yeah, it’s $60 a pop under the guise of a sub. I bought the Icky X package last year, and the WS live show trio after that. I skipped (canceled) for #35. I’m afraid I may have to somehow find $60 for this, however :ohdear:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Demon Days back in stock at VMP

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It would be fantastic if they waited until the announcement of the package to charge you because, as I found out when the record was a Pearl Jam live album, there are no refunds. I already have Trout Mask Replica, and personally I don't think I need to own two copies (especially when this one is so hilariously over priced) and I can't imagine myself listening to it that often anyway.

Also, if I had to venture a guess there will probably be a standard black vinyl pressing at a normal retail price later on. I find it hard to believe that they would make something this high profile a subscription only release, especially as the announcement says it's the beginning of a partnership with Bizarre Records which I think is the real announcement here.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

jeeves posted:

Demon Days back in stock at VMP

Of course they did this after closing swaps for the month.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

CPL593H posted:

It would be fantastic if they waited until the announcement of the package to charge you because, as I found out when the record was a Pearl Jam live album, there are no refunds. I already have Trout Mask Replica, and personally I don't think I need to own two copies (especially when this one is so hilariously over priced) and I can't imagine myself listening to it that often anyway.

Also, if I had to venture a guess there will probably be a standard black vinyl pressing at a normal retail price later on. I find it hard to believe that they would make something this high profile a subscription only release, especially as the announcement says it's the beginning of a partnership with Bizarre Records which I think is the real announcement here.

Maybe they used to do it differently, but you can cancel up to the end of the first month of the quarter and still not get charged. So you have about four weeks to decide if it's worth it.

For example, package 35 was announced like the first few days of January, and I was charged for it January 31st. Boy oh boy do I wish I'd skipped that package, but I definitely had opportunity.

I don't really like these last couple packages with a single album, a single (that's really just two songs from the album this time) and a bunch of gimmicks. My first packages were 33 and 34 and I guess those spoiled me. I'll be skipping this.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 2, 2018

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

CPL593H posted:

You can probably sell the Pearl Jam album for more than you paid for it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Barry posted:

Yeah it sells for more than $60 *used* at discogs. I would imagine that's not really going to be the case with packages 35 or 36 though.

edit: VVVV I'd be interested to know this too...it seems like the rest of their albums are easy to get on vinyl, yet Demon Days, the one everyone wants, is super rare. I preordered the latest reissue through Amazon a week ago, now it's showing as "not available." My order page doesn't suggest any dates, so I wonder if this preorder will sit there unfulfilled for years a la Duke Nukem Forever.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 2, 2018

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Is there a specific reason Demon Days is such a hot commodity for vinyl dorks?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Schremp Howard posted:

Of course they did this after closing swaps for the month.

It wasn't a swap.

The swaps are not very good lately.

Stan Taylor posted:

A great album and for some reason really low pressing amount by the publisher. VMP's pressing was like the only one done ever since the album was released in like 2005 or something which was the height of no caring about vinyl. That's being fixed soon as they have a normal repress going out soon but the VMP records of the months are always ~special editions~

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Maybe they used to do it differently, but you can cancel up to the end of the first month of the quarter and still not get charged. So you have about four weeks to decide if it's worth it.

For example, package 35 was announced like the first few days of January, and I was charged for it January 31st. Boy oh boy do I wish I'd skipped that package, but I definitely had opportunity.

I don't really like these last couple packages with a single album, a single (that's really just two songs from the album this time) and a bunch of gimmicks. My first packages were 33 and 34 and I guess those spoiled me. I'll be skipping this.

It really is a mixed bag. I've been subscribing since the beginning and sometimes you get a triple LP in a fancy box with a DVD and a bunch of other poo poo and then occasionally there's some low effort bullshit like "The new Jack White album, but on colored vinyl or some poo poo!". When they do a good one it's really worth it. I also really liked when they would do stuff like the Two Star Tabernacle single or that album with some one off band Jack White had in the 90s.

Barry posted:

I sold that ages ago. I basically got what I paid for it, so it's not a big deal but I think it's kind of stupid that they don't let you cancel and get a refund after you find out what you're actually buying.

jeeves posted:

A great album and for some reason really low pressing amount by the publisher. VMP's pressing was like the only one done ever since the album was released in like 2005 or something which was the height of no caring about vinyl. That's being fixed soon as they have a normal repress going out soon but the VMP records of the months are always ~special editions~

I still remember seeing copies all over the place of Demon Days collecting dust way back when. I wish I'd known people would have such a huge boner for that album.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

CPL593H posted:

I sold that ages ago. I basically got what I paid for it, so it's not a big deal but I think it's kind of stupid that they don't let you cancel and get a refund after you find out what you're actually buying.

They do. They don't charge you for about 3-4 weeks after the announcement and if you cancel, you don't get charged. Maybe it was different back in those times.

I just cancelled my subscription, which had a next bill date of 4/30, because I don't need to spend $60 on one Captain Beefheart album.

quote:

I still remember seeing copies all over the place of Demon Days collecting dust way back when. I wish I'd known people would have such a huge boner for that album.

People have always had a boner for that album but that was before the vinyl resurgence really started. Still I'm amazed they've done widespread reprints of the s/t but not Demon Days.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 2, 2018

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap

Stan Taylor posted:

bad taste

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Nail Rat posted:

An album, a single, and a premium, was the original model for TMV releases. 33 and 34 were my first, and they WERE spoiling, but I’d been looking on from afar at them since 2009. I wish I could’ve afforded the mono Icky Thump in Vault 1, that thing goes for laffo prices nowadays.

Also, the Third Man sub is charged on the day of the month you subscribed. So if you originally subscribed on April 28th, then every quarter you will be charged on the 28th.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Is it one record a month, like Vinyl
Me Please?

My experience with Third Man Records is the Shabazz Palaces live release sounds terrible, and Jack White is becoming the only person who is actively making art that retroactively is ruining my enjoyment of their past art. So the thought of ending up with his new record is sweat inducing.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I found a cool record today:

Someone also shoved a Escondido high school marching band record in the sleeve, which is one of the bands listed on the back. So I'm guessing this came from a family member of a kid in the band. How it ended up in a Nebraska Goodwill is a mystery.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Tony Bennett signed my 45, now I just need a frame.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

:popeye:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I have full confidence in the musical tastes of forums user The 311 Lifestyle.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Asnorban posted:

Me Please?

My experience with Third Man Records is the Shabazz Palaces live release sounds terrible, and Jack White is becoming the only person who is actively making art that retroactively is ruining my enjoyment of their past art. So the thought of ending up with his new record is sweat inducing.

It's one package a quarter.

Sometimes, like this past month, it's just a Jack White album with a special cover and a single (that's just demos of songs already on the vinyl). That's a pretty bad deal.

Sometimes, it's 3 different live albums in a slipcase, or a 2LP version of an album plus an LP of demos plus an LP of B-sides. A lot more worth it (if you're into the band).

I guess based on the above, if you sign up late in the signup month you get a chance to cancel...and if you sign up on the first of the month, you get hosed if it's a bad package.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

They do. They don't charge you for about 3-4 weeks after the announcement and if you cancel, you don't get charged. Maybe it was different back in those times.

I just cancelled my subscription, which had a next bill date of 4/30, because I don't need to spend $60 on one Captain Beefheart album.

This wasn't that long ago and also I was charged for this one a month ago. I'm wondering if maybe I'm on some kind of poo poo list because a couple years back I complained about what was obviously a bad pressing and basically before they did anything the guy who deals with that tried to tell me that I just don't know what a live album sounds like. I later found a guy on a White Stripes forum who copy/pasted an email from the very same rep I talked to admitting that there was an issue with the pressing plates. They eventually sent me a good copy (fourth time's a charm!), but not without the rep complaining about it a lot and having a lot of back and forth with me about it. I do know that they replaced him, which is good because he was kind of rude and very condescending.

Asnorban posted:

Me Please?

It's quarterly and you get more than just one record. It comes with a bunch of different poo poo depending on the theme. Often it's a double or triple LP and then some combination of a 7" and/or a DVD with a bunch of other trinkets and things. Triple LPs usually come in some kind of fancy box that holds all the poo poo. Admittedly some of the packages are kind of boring, but when they're worth it they're really worth it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

pwn posted:

An album, a single, and a premium, was the original model for TMV releases. 33 and 34 were my first, and they WERE spoiling, but I’d been looking on from afar at them since 2009. I wish I could’ve afforded the mono Icky Thump in Vault 1, that thing goes for laffo prices nowadays.

Also, the Third Man sub is charged on the day of the month you subscribed. So if you originally subscribed on April 28th, then every quarter you will be charged on the 28th.

My local record store had that sitting on their shelves gathering dust for years trying to sell it for about $300, I think they finally did.

Asnorban posted:

Me Please?

His new album is poo poo.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Just sold my Boarding House reach at a profit, time to buy something better :toot:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So I have an audio question. My speakers have started making loud feedback when I put the needle onto the record. When it plays there is no feedback but right before and right after the record it's there. Anything to fix this?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The_Rob posted:

So I have an audio question. My speakers have started making loud feedback when I put the needle onto the record. When it plays there is no feedback but right before and right after the record it's there. Anything to fix this?

Is everything grounded?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

sporklift posted:

Is everything grounded?

My turntable has a built in pre amp so I never hooked it up with a ground wire. Just a basic rca cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Can you describe the feedback? Like, it's hard to diagnose with just that term.