Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Quantum Break immediately lost me when I saw Remedy couldn't be assed to properly animate a loving reload animation because they were too busy jerking off over having a budget for those useless live action cutscenes.

Also you have to play as this rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah Quantum Break's combat kinda sucks unfortunately, but it's a really cool game with a great story, fun mechanical twists and almost unbelievable visual fidelity (if you can run it at high or even max settings anyway). Just kind of a shame.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Thanks for the info guys. I really should've read the whole store page cause I didn't know they actually put that live action show in between chapters. Guess it'll be one of those games I force myself through for the story, it does seem pretty good so far

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

THE BAR posted:

I miss C&C Renegade, and the fanmade remade isn't doing it for me.
One of my favourite multiplayer memories still is working to disarm a nuke beacon as a GDI engineer, getting jumped by the stealth trooper who planted it, and dispatching the guy without breaking a sweat using my crappy little pistol before getting back to dealing with the beacon. :allears:

Sometimes it felt like I was the only person playing that game who knew that headshots dealt increased damage.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 1, 2018

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

also if you all like mspaint-y style doom mods, this one has a ton of love and detail put into it:
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=57964&sid=f4c408a437f36bd752c344adce7bac1b

Captain J also mentions Lizard Squad as inspiration

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=15793&hilit=lizard+squad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7l2DUQyNHM

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa, was C&C Renegade MP a big thing I somehow missed? I played it in single player a bit, which was fun enough, and then forgot until just now.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The only thing I am disappointed that console FPS did to the genre (Halo, CoD) is in regards to the size and scope of multiplayer.

As a teenager I used to love playing Tribes 1/2, Battlefield 1942, Unreal 2004. These games all had large levels (64 vs 64 players) and combined arms warfare. In particular with BF1942 you had maps where you had to coordinate naval shelling, air support, amphibious assaults...oh and dealt with enemy armored counter attacks.

By 2004 I thought for sure the future of PC FPS multiplayer would be 100s of players duking it out on enormous maps with vehicles, air drops, large armored assaults, etc. Then the PS3/Xbox 360 released, Call of Duty happened....and welp. I can’t even think of an FPS series that does combined arms war-fare anymore outside Battlefield. And even the Battlefield series has long lost what made 1942 so special, instead feeling like a larger scale CoD game with a few vehicles tossed in.

Why did vehicle FPS games die out? Is it just too hard for developers to implement? I would sacrifice a goat for a proper Tribes or BF1942 remake or successor but I know it will never happen :(

ArmA might be what you want.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

mobby_6kl posted:

Whoa, was C&C Renegade MP a big thing I somehow missed? I played it in single player a bit, which was fun enough, and then forgot until just now.

It was BF1942 before that was a thing. But with buildings to maintain, tons of loadouts and interesting game mechanics besides shooting and vehicling.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I miss the console exclusive BF1943. Goddamn, that game was fun :smith:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

THE BAR posted:

It was BF1942 before that was a thing. But with buildings to maintain, tons of loadouts and interesting game mechanics besides shooting and vehicling.

It was a pretty big deal even years after release, given that it's multiplayer was probably the most chaos-driven thing imaginable. there was pretty well-defined goals and lots of sound tactics you could use, but so much of the game was absolute anarchy with teams coming together to do the dumbest, most ridiculous plans to try to knock out that next building, or fuckup that mammoth tank, or just generally have goofy absurd fun. The custom maps often made even more rediculous things, with teams fighting in appartment complexes over boxes of cheerios while rock music blares. (it wasn't a giant room map, it was literally just a table with a box of 'tiberio-Os' on it in a regular sized appartment room.) Coincidentally the rock music was controlled by a switch, so map fights were a near constant over whether it was on or off, explosions and gunshots going off constantly next to the loving thing.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 2, 2018

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Diabetes Forecast posted:

It was a pretty big deal even years after release, given that it's multiplayer was probably the most chaos-driven thing imaginable. there was pretty well-defined goals and lots of sound tactics you could use, but so much of the game was absolute anarchy with teams coming together to do the dumbest, most ridiculous plans to try to knock out that next building, or fuckup that mammoth tank, or just generally have goofy absurd fun. The custom maps often made even more rediculous things, with teams fighting in appartment complexes over boxes of cheerios while rock music blares. (it wasn't a giant room map, it was literally just a table with a box of 'tiberio-Os' on it in a regular sized appartment room.) Coincidentally the rock music was controlled by a switch, so map fights were a near constant over whether it was on or off, explosions and gunshots going off constantly next to the loving thing.

I actually remember playing a bit of Renegade at a LAN back in the day. It really was goofy and fun, but alas I never owned it. Looks like I missed out on a hidden gem.

And this is what games (in particular multiplayer FPS) games miss these days. Just being goofy and fun. Sea of Thieves (have not played) seems like it was trying to go in that direction, but every review I've read states the game just isn't quite there.

mobby_6kl posted:

ArmA might be what you want.

I tried ArmA back in the day (never played the two sequels) and I couldn't get over the stiff animations and physics. Also it's a bit too realistic for my tastes.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I miss the console exclusive BF1943. Goddamn, that game was fun :smith:

It's a goddamn shame EA promptly abandoned a PC release of BF1943 because it was exactly what the community wanted. An faithfully re-created Battlefield 1942 with the frostbite engine. It felt like a "proof of concept" demo and it loving worked. I'm still mad it never got the full PC release it deserved. :(

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 2, 2018

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Destiny 2 is such a fun game to play trapped inside just the least interesting world, story, loot, and progression system possible. It’s impressive how loving bad everything about that game is except for the shooting and the skyboxes.

Multiplayer is such garbage that it’s almost impressive how anti-fun they managed to make it. Bungie absolutely deserves to be dragged for how bad they are at responding to the community or making changes in this day and age.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
As fun as Renegade was, if they ever attempt to resurrect the C&C brand I think they would be better off trying something like Foxhole where it's still top down and everyone can control their individual unit.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
GZDoom 3.3.1. Just bug fixes. No jokes.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
OG System Shock source code coming this friday. I love the Enhanced Edition but I'm looking forward to neat stuff people might make out of a real source port. Like making the riot gun actually useful! :argh:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It'd be cool to see someone port the SS2 UI over so the game is actually playable.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I don't think I saw this posted, but it's kinda funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76WrN0H-xS0

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
SS1 is perfectly playable if you take 2 minutes to learn the interface. It's really not as complicated as people say it is.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Here's how to make SS1 playable:
  • enable the fullscreen HUD
  • that's literally it

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I know I liked the control scheme that Enhanced Edition offered where you could toggle between the "mouse interacts with objects on the screen" mode and a more-traditional-FPS "mouse moves your camera directly" mode by hitting E. Is that just the vanilla System Shock's control scheme, or is that something Enhanced added?

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
The enhanced edition added the mouselook part, the rest is vanilla. The earlier "System Shock Portable" also included a mouselook mod but I never actually tried it.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Are there any decent old-school-centric FPS podcasts out there for background listening?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

OG System Shock source code coming this friday. I love the Enhanced Edition but I'm looking forward to neat stuff people might make out of a real source port. Like making the riot gun actually useful! :argh:

Where’s this happening? I’m hype to dive in.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

I know I liked the control scheme that Enhanced Edition offered where you could toggle between the "mouse interacts with objects on the screen" mode and a more-traditional-FPS "mouse moves your camera directly" mode by hitting E. Is that just the vanilla System Shock's control scheme, or is that something Enhanced added?

In vanilla Shock, (a) you can't remap keys¹ and (b) the mouse is always in "interacts with objects on the screen" mode². That's it.

¹ There's basically four control schemes -- SZXC, arrow keys, number pad, and mouse only -- that are always active, but you can't change any of them.
² You turn using the keyboard -- AD for yaw, RV for pitch, hold shift to turn faster. Or if you hate yourself you turn by dragging the mouse at the edges of the screen.

Meat Beat Agent posted:

The enhanced edition added the mouselook part, the rest is vanilla. The earlier "System Shock Portable" also included a mouselook mod but I never actually tried it.

Mouselook in SS1EE uses the same code as the SSP version, or did when it was released -- they might have a cleaner implementation based on the original source these days.

oh no blimp issue posted:

Where’s this happening? I’m hype to dive in.

Kickstarter announcement, probably, but I'd also expect an announcement on the Discord as well -- it's part of the big SS1R progress update planned for end of week.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, I should note I spend the vast majority of my playing time in mouselook mode, so the idea of playing the entire game in not-mouselook mode is :ohdear:

I'm sure you can do it, but it sounds like more trouble than it's worth these days.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I'm enjoying Amid Evil a lot. Probably because I never played Hexen/Herectic, but I really enjoy the setting. Combat feels pretty good too, and I'm digging the level design.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Getting back into Duke 3d and goddamn have I forgotten how hard it is.

Those friggin' enforcers' hit scans just beat the hell out of me. Outside of "use explosives" does anyone have a quick tip?

I feel like the shotgun is my go-to, as I can't find the ripper good for anything outside of clearing out the normal troopers.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
System Shock uses the same control scheme as Ultima Underworld since it’s based on that engine. It was early enough that there wasn’t really a standardized set of FPS controls yet. I think Raven’s CyClones used a similar scheme where the mouse aimed your weapon but didn’t move your viewport.

I don’t know what the first game to really solidify FPS controls was. I’m would guess it came out of the Quake community; from what I remember Quake didn’t ship with a menu option for mouselook but you could enable it in the console from day one.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

david_a posted:

I don’t know what the first game to really solidify FPS controls was. I’m would guess it came out of the Quake community; from what I remember Quake didn’t ship with a menu option for mouselook but you could enable it in the console from day one.

Terminator:Future Shock was the first PC game to do the mouselook thing properly in full polygon 3D, even if it used q-capslock-a-s for the movement instead of WASD.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

NoneMoreNegative posted:

q-capslock-a-s

So near and yet so far :psyduck:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

BattleMaster posted:

So near and yet so far :psyduck:

I actually liked it as the Caps key is a wider button on most keyboards and lets you space your fingats out a bit more. A bunch of early FPSs had issues with mapping to Caps so I eventually had to move to the standard :mad:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Narcissus1916 posted:

Getting back into Duke 3d and goddamn have I forgotten how hard it is.

Those friggin' enforcers' hit scans just beat the hell out of me. Outside of "use explosives" does anyone have a quick tip?

I feel like the shotgun is my go-to, as I can't find the ripper good for anything outside of clearing out the normal troopers.

For Enforcers there's a trick in I think it's the left side (from our perspective, it's right side to them) is where their gun is, if you're around a corner or they're obstructed in some way so you can see the right half of their sprite, you can shoot them without them being able to hit you back. Ripper has pretty high DPS so I find it can be decent against Enforcers and Pigcops as well, Freeze gun is good if you have it, shrinker etc. Moving around a lot, the ol' Doom trick of leaving the room if need be etc.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
It's also worth noting that circle strafing around enforcers at a decent distance actually works. they seem to have a little bit of lag-behind with their hitscan, atleast from what I could tell when I last played.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I was just talking with my dad about the standardisation of videogame controls the other day. PCGamer did an article about it, trying to remember it off the top of my head, WASD came about in during Quake, it was one of the popular control schemes, and I think Quake 2 had it as one of the preconfigured schemes you could choose from.Something big was close, with it's default being like, ESDF or something, I want to say that was Unreal but I'm probably wrong. I think Half-Life was one of the first ones with WASD as default? I'll need to find the article again, but it was interesting.

Edit: Here it is. I thought they talked about Unreal and ESDF, but I guess I was misremembering.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 3, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Quake and Quake 2 definitely didn't have a default for WASD; the defaults for both games was centered around keyboard-only with the arrow keys to move and control to shoot, similar to Doom but with a couple bindings for looking up and down and jumping and crouching. Quake 2 had a bunch of configs belonging to id employees if you dug through its packages but there was nothing in the UI or manual to suggest that these existed. I imagine most people who use a WASD or similar setup in those games heard about it online and then went and came up with their own config. I remember having my own custom autoexec.cfg for Quake 2 with unbindall at the top to make sure there wasn't a single key bound that I didn't personally approve.

I'm glad most games now come with passable control setups by default. As that article says, Half-Life was possibly the first to come with such a setup and I remember it being nice to finally pick up a game that I didn't have to reconfigure before playing. I don't think there has been a game in the last 15 or more years that I've felt a need to reconfigure.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I beat Rise of the Woolball a couple days ago (it was delightful) and it got me thinking about its inspiration, Rise of the Triad. For anyone who's played both, is it an authentic tribute? Also: is ROTT, original or remake, actually good?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

My brothers and I were diehard users of RFDG, but it became too much of a hassle when games started shipping without the ability to remap keys (defaulting to WASD), or when the implementation was half-assed (GUI not reflecting the changes, QTE events using the default mapping, etc).

Edit: I'm old and slow, and sometimes my hand will slip back into the RFDG position.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Encountering old fps games from before wasd standardization is like suddenly finding yourself behind the wheel of a car from before they agreed where everything went. It's actually worse than if you'd never learned to drive at all

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Encountering old fps games from before wasd standardization is like suddenly finding yourself behind the wheel of a car from before they agreed where everything went. It's actually worse than if you'd never learned to drive at all

The old PC version of Powerslave came out in the golden era, with mouselook and 100% without any strafe mechanic in place (or the demo at least), talk about not missing something til it’s gone :o:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I’ve tried playing Blood recently like I used to with arrow keys for movement, a strafe button, ctrl and alt for shooting and who knows what else and I just can’t. The game was specifically made for it but it feels awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

I’ve tried playing Blood recently like I used to with arrow keys for movement, a strafe button, ctrl and alt for shooting and who knows what else and I just can’t. The game was specifically made for it but it feels awful.

Blood is loving difficult even with WASD and mouse look, it must be literally impossible with the default controls outside of the easiest difficulty maybe.