Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Blazing Ownager posted:

Don't be sad. Fear is the far, far superior show now. All of the preview stuff I've heard sounds like even with the new show runners, it's still the far, far superior show.

If you checked out of it at season 1/2 it's improved leaps and bounds.

I did check out on season 2, I will probably catch back up at some point, but if he turns up in that show as the same god-mode character I will be sad about it. If they redeem him, it might be ok...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Season 3 of ftwd was good so they had to let that showrunner go

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Marmaduke! posted:

I did check out on season 2, I will probably catch back up at some point, but if he turns up in that show as the same god-mode character I will be sad about it. If they redeem him, it might be ok...

Season 2 was hit or miss and then got weird and loving awful. I almost didn't come back for season 3. The one thing that was consistently entertaining is how awful the main characters were, doing really hosed up lovely things (hell they literally use Negan's tactics!) but the show thinks they're the good guys in the name of "family." It ends on of the dumbest assaults in WD history until the Hilltop battle.

Then Season 3 starts. The writers realized the main characters are ruthless fucks and decides to acknowledge it, and roll with it. Thus begins the complete turn-around of the show and where it actually takes on an interesting story, good direction, etc. It starts looking like an A list show should.

The show got Gimpled to "fit his vision" at the end. One of the best characters is killed for no loving reason because of this. However, Gimple since got kicked up the food chain and they added some REALLY sold actors onto the cast (I'm really excited for Dillahunt, after TSCC and Deadwood) this season, early reviews are very encouraging.

Basically ... you can get through season 2 or skip to 3, but 3 is when the show becomes the one everyone is talking really positively of. Everyone in this thread, myself included, hated the gently caress out of it at points and I still think the first season is horse poo poo.

ED: I will say, poo poo gets DONE on Fear. Arcs that would drag into full seasons or worse on TWD are resolved in 2 episodes. There's also a bunch of cool civilizations/cultures that are actually interesting. I love their barter town. Strand and Daniel alone are also better characters than anybody on the main show at this point.

ED: Oh I also feel I have to say that Fear also has the BEST assault on a location in the entire franchise. The whole time I was going "Holy poo poo they have an actual plan. Holy poo poo, they're trying to use tactics and be smart. Holy poo poo, they aren't acting like enemies from a 90s first person shooter."

moist turtleneck posted:

Season 3 of ftwd was good so they had to let that showrunner go

I'm still really annoyed by that. Early reports say the writing team managed to pull out a winner anyway, but that guy.. he turned the show around. He should get a promotion not a firing.

I hope someone at Netflix or something is paying attention to tap him for a new project.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 2, 2018

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if jadis had to teach new recruits how to talk good and wear clothes from dead hobos

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Hahahaha I love how Rick won't read the dumb note just to make the plot last longer

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Blazing Ownager posted:

The show got Gimpled to "fit his vision" at the end. One of the best characters is killed for no loving reason because of this.

I agree with you 100% on everything else in your post too, but especially this point.

I am more than 100% okay if that character just shows back up in S4, alive, and just says ‘well, my dad always said I had a thick skull’.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
How the hell did that Negan scene happen?

Did he untie himself to ransack a bag and then re-tie himself in 2 seconds?

Where did he get all that poo poo? I didn't see anything anywhere near him, and he was rolling around slow as molasses. How did he get that poo poo? He is tied down in such a way that it seems, to me, that he would technically be able to pick things up but only if they were right next to him on a very specific location relative to him, and even then what he finds is three separate items that get him leverage on trash lady.

Well, the answer is, much like with the kid opening the gate to let the fuckers out and Simon walking to a deathtrap like an idiot, that they needed to have things end up in a specific way but there is no talent or no interest whatsoever with the writers so what you get is this junk.

I'm also fairly sure the person negan picked up is either Gregory or that Saviors gal who supposedly survived the onslaught but they cleverly had the car be as dark as the previous episode (dark as in poorly lit) (and I'm pretty sure on some shots there is no one in the car besides negan) that there is no way to even guess.

The bar onslaught and morgan killing the heavy metal guy was all good though... I guess someone else directed and wrote those scenes, although... It's kinda dumb how Morgan and Rick can just toggle their insanity on/off when it suits them.

I think what they want us to believe is that in the next episode Dwight's goose is cooked but then it turns out it's Simon who get's axed.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

It seems at least plot is happening now which is a pretty low bar to clear lol. I love my lovely lumbering zombie soap opera Zeppelin and the season-spanning slow motion crash and explosion I have witnessed.

The #1 issue with TWD is that the writers suck at creating believable characters. This show has long suffered from weakly written, bland, vague, characters.

The existing plot line as we have witnessed it unfold is bloated and in constant need of a strong editing to maintain internal consistency, but it just isn’t as consistently an outright weakness. Better writers could do a much better job with the comic material as a jump point

There is good action at times. The show is starting to have compelling little vignettes pop up again, which isn’t always the case.I will say that Carol confronting and ultimately saving a child trapped by zombies in the exact same way her own daughter was is pretty good tv.

I also think TWD aesthetic is p good. The world building is dumb at times, but I think this points back to writing but overall, I like The Look of TWD.

So yea, the main problem (its a big one lol) is the characters are just written so shittily - inconsistent; bad, bad, bad dialogue; different characters don’t necessarily have clear individualised motivations and traits anymore. Almost all the different characters sound the same 90% of the time and have no clear individual purpose for existence. That’s bad writing. Just constant grimdark from start to finish, but each episode feels like it has amnesia - so much of entire previous seasons and episodes have meant nothing of consequence for plot or character since. All the different characters just have reduced into the same oscillating wave of “good but now I am bad but now I am good but now I am bad but now I am”.

But lol at me I’m watching this poo poo and wasting time posting on the internet about it. Me the walk walk dead.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Stickarts posted:

It seems at least plot is happening now which is a pretty low bar to clear lol. I love my lovely lumbering zombie soap opera Zeppelin and the season-spanning slow motion crash and explosion I have witnessed.

The #1 issue with TWD is that the writers suck at creating believable characters. This show has long suffered from weakly written, bland, vague, characters.

The existing plot line as we have witnessed it unfold is bloated and in constant need of a strong editing to maintain internal consistency, but it just isn’t as consistently an outright weakness. Better writers could do a much better job with the comic material as a jump point

There is good action at times. The show is starting to have compelling little vignettes pop up again, which isn’t always the case.I will say that Carol confronting and ultimately saving a child trapped by zombies in the exact same way her own daughter was is pretty good tv.

I also think TWD aesthetic is p good. The world building is dumb at times, but I think this points back to writing but overall, I like The Look of TWD.

So yea, the main problem (its a big one lol) is the characters are just written so shittily - inconsistent; bad, bad, bad dialogue; different characters don’t necessarily have clear individualised motivations and traits anymore. Almost all the different characters sound the same 90% of the time and have no clear individual purpose for existence. That’s bad writing. Just constant grimdark from start to finish, but each episode feels like it has amnesia - so much of entire previous seasons and episodes have meant nothing of consequence for plot or character since. All the different characters just have reduced into the same oscillating wave of “good but now I am bad but now I am good but now I am bad but now I am”.

But lol at me I’m watching this poo poo and wasting time posting on the internet about it. Me the walk walk dead.

As far as plotting and characters, TWD now follows the daytime soap opera model to a T; the characters are never quite as important as the ridiculous things happening to them, and what's important is who you are supposed to "like" and "dislike," and who's a heel and who's a babyface this week in the interactions. What's not important is whether any of this makes sense or who these people really are. So everything is framed around the next betrayal, team-up, or random disaster. Occasionally someone cuts a promo.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Gortarius posted:

I'm also fairly sure the person negan picked up is either Gregory or that Saviors gal

I didn't even think of Gregory, huh, that might be the winning call

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Gortarius posted:

I think what they want us to believe is that in the next episode Dwight's goose is cooked but then it turns out it's Simon who get's axed.

Yep. Long Negan monologue about nothing while standing over Dwight before turning at the last second and batting Simon. The showrunners will be immensely proud of this twist and will not have even considered that they've just offed the best character.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

My headcanon is that Morgan (the character) has realized that he is a main character in a TV series, and that his world is not real...

"You know what this is!"

Been thinking the same for a while.

"I don't die, I watch people die." (Because the writers forced this upon me)

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This show cannot stop losing viewers so why the gently caress are we spending screentime and a side-plot on that loving kid?!?!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Brave Young Master Henry

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
They’ve actually managed to write a fairly interesting character flaw into Negan in that he really buys his own bullshit and has to believe that there’s no way Dwight would turn on him because he’s been burned for being stupid already and is now 100% loyal to Negan. Negan’s been blind to his treachery for a while now and basically always believes that you can truly scare people into falling into line. But Dwight escapes suspicion repeatedly because Jesus christ look at what I did to the guy, he’d never be stupid enough to try anything ever again.

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

Hey guys, I was hoping someone here could clarify something for me about the show. The way the writers have been writing the show makes it seem that they have forgotten just how much of a bastard Negan actually is and how hypocritical is whole philosophy of people as a resource is. I mean, the episode where Negan was actually introduced involved the Saviors exterminating a community of survivors (the Library), and they eliminated all the males of Oceanside. However, I was discussing this point with my sister when she brought up that they may have retconned the Oceanside thing slightly.

This season they made a point of having Negan say that the Saviors as a group existed before he arrived and that they were much worse before him. Were the writers trying to imply that the Oceanside thing was pre-Negan? Was there any point where the people of Oceanside said that Negan killed their men, rather than just "the Saviors?" I have tried looking around online and watching the episodes Oceanside has appeared in, but I cannot find a definite answer. Does anybody here know?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Bertilak posted:

Hey guys, I was hoping someone here could clarify something for me about the show. The way the writers have been writing the show makes it seem that they have forgotten just how much of a bastard Negan actually is and how hypocritical is whole philosophy of people as a resource is. I mean, the episode where Negan was actually introduced involved the Saviors exterminating a community of survivors (the Library), and they eliminated all the males of Oceanside. However, I was discussing this point with my sister when she brought up that they may have retconned the Oceanside thing slightly.

This season they made a point of having Negan say that the Saviors as a group existed before he arrived and that they were much worse before him. Were the writers trying to imply that the Oceanside thing was pre-Negan? Was there any point where the people of Oceanside said that Negan killed their men, rather than just "the Saviors?" I have tried looking around online and watching the episodes Oceanside has appeared in, but I cannot find a definite answer. Does anybody here know?

No one has a clue about anything Oceanside.

e: Or the whole show, you're already thinking more than the writers.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Oceanside really makes the last few seasons pointless because apparently you can move 5 miles down the road and you're too far away for the Saviors to get to you.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

galagazombie posted:

Oceanside really makes the last few seasons pointless because apparently you can move 5 miles down the road and you're too far away for the Saviors to get to you.

Not to stick up for this lousy show but Oceanside is supposed to be a couple hours away along the southern Chesapeake Bay.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

yeah and so are all the settlements compared to each other but that doesn't stop teleportation

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stickarts posted:

I like The Look of TWD.

I liked the look of TWD. There are a lot of times now it looks like a shot on shitteo movie or a youtube high school film project lately.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dont even fink about it posted:

As far as plotting and characters, TWD now follows the daytime soap opera model to a T; the characters are never quite as important as the ridiculous things happening to them, and what's important is who you are supposed to "like" and "dislike," and who's a heel and who's a babyface this week in the interactions. What's not important is whether any of this makes sense or who these people really are. So everything is framed around the next betrayal, team-up, or random disaster. Occasionally someone cuts a promo.

I now want the single greatest civilization Walking Dead has ever done. An entire town run terrible WWF wrestlers who have survived off of having football armor and body slamming zombies.

Roidtown or something. Wrestler trash talk is still better than the filthy trash people.

ED: I could actually picture Z-Nation doing that

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 3, 2018

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Barreft posted:

you're already thinking more than the writers.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

So how did Rick decide that all the saviours they ran into had to die? All they did was run away from a bunch of people who kept them as prisoners and threatened to starve/kill them and back to a diferent group of assholes who at least have kept them alive so far. The only clearly bad guy of the group was that longhaired guy who's been a 100% hostile rear end in a top hat from day 1. So of course Maggie didn't execute him 10 eps back, but rather the guy who annoyed her by making too much sense.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Somehow this episode felt more boring than the one where Carl died.
I like how Negan didn't only manage to find the gun, flare and pictures, but was also able to light the flare and neatly arrange the photos for maximum emotional impact.
That helicopter should have easily spotted Negan and Trashwoman even without the flare.
I wonder what the explanation for that helicopter even is. It's gonna be extremely dumb.
The next episode is titled "Worth". Remember how Maggie said "the cost" when moping around on the cemetary? It's like poetry, it rhymes!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'll probably do gifs tonight

I wanted to add googly eyes to this but Adobe was being a bitch and not rendering my changes

https://i.imgur.com/uLk4KcL.gifv

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

moist turtleneck posted:

I'll probably do gifs tonight

I wanted to add googly eyes to this but Adobe was being a bitch and not rendering my changes

https://i.imgur.com/uLk4KcL.gifv

You using AME? Make sure you aren't just hitting reset in the AME queue. When you send to AME it duplicates the project so if you make changes in AE it won't show up unless you resend to AME from scratch.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I was enqueueing new stuff but it's After Effects that was not honoring my layers

I've had a similar issue with Premiere, but it's definitely my computer that's having issues at the end of the day but I hate rebooting

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
How many bad dialogue scenes do you think Bear McCreary had to do the sad minor piano chords over before he began to just have one saved as a WAV file and phone it in on a loop.

I wonder if someone has tallied all of the time spent on the bad 1 on 1 chats compared to actual "things happening" scenes? Even though the Negan stuff was contrived at least it was interesting this EP, but in the end it was all pointless.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Myron posted:

So how did Rick decide that all the saviours they ran into had to die? All they did was run away from a bunch of people who kept them as prisoners and threatened to starve/kill them and back to a diferent group of assholes who at least have kept them alive so far. The only clearly bad guy of the group was that longhaired guy who's been a 100% hostile rear end in a top hat from day 1. So of course Maggie didn't execute him 10 eps back, but rather the guy who annoyed her by making too much sense.

Because he came to that conclusion the second Coral died. Rick is now on a revenge streak

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

As far as I'm concerned Negan is the good guy and I'm rooting for him to kill Rick the Dick and end the fuckin show already.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm still amazed at how much stuff negan grabbed

Also are we going to find out that the dump wasn't a dump until after the apocalypse?

All of the ground is covered in tarp and it felt like the camera really focused on that this episode

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm still amazed at how much stuff negan grabbed

Also are we going to find out that the dump wasn't a dump until after the apocalypse?

All of the ground is covered in tarp and it felt like the camera really focused on that this episode

I think that solely existed to justify random-flare-extinguishing-puddle.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Also it will own if Rick starts to read the letter in the next episode but something stupid happens and it gets swept up by the wind Forrest Gump style

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

On top of Morgan: "You like dicks, right?"

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I keep wondering why we continue to return to the Trash City when we killed them all 4 EPA ago and my only thought is that it's not a set and it must be ~really~ cheap to film in an actual garbage dump.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's not a real one per se but you wouldn't be able to tell from the road!

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

How many bad dialogue scenes do you think Bear McCreary had to do the sad minor piano chords over before he began to just have one saved as a WAV file and phone it in on a loop.

You have to appreciate how the lingering close-ups, long pauses and speaking slowly really drains all energy out of the show so you are half-way a sleep when the mandatory nonsensical fight scene rolls around. It's very normal for every member of a group to be sad and depressed for years without some gallows humor, someone trying to lighten the mood or blowing off some steam. I can identify with that and it makes me more invested in the characters. I hate this show so much.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Bates posted:

You have to appreciate how the lingering close-ups, long pauses and speaking slowly really drains all energy out of the show so you are half-way a sleep when the mandatory nonsensical fight scene rolls around. It's very normal for every member of a group to be sad and depressed for years without some gallows humor, someone trying to lighten the mood or blowing off some steam. I can identify with that and it makes me more invested in the characters. I hate this show so much.

I mean it has become exactly like Stan at the end of each SP episode, wherein "I learned something today..." dialogue is over top of calm piano nothings. Except it is like 75% of each episode and they never learn (or remember) a damned single thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/E0dgygz.gifv