Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

OGS-Remix posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I recently bought an insert for Eldritch Horror and I need to assemble it myself.

Are there any recommendations for a particular glue I should use or would any sort of wood glue work? I imagine I'd want something that doesn't react with plastic or give off fumes or stuff like that. Any advice would be appreciated.

I use a plain old off the shelf wood glue from Home Depot for all my organizer gluing, and haven't had any issues. I can get you the exact brand when I get home, if you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

OGS-Remix posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I recently bought an insert for Eldritch Horror and I need to assemble it myself.

Are there any recommendations for a particular glue I should use or would any sort of wood glue work? I imagine I'd want something that doesn't react with plastic or give off fumes or stuff like that. Any advice would be appreciated.

Is it in the style of the Broken Token inserts, made of thin laser cut wood?

If so, my experience is that white glue/wood glue is fine for that. The design of the insert keeps it together well, and the glue just serves to stop the little bit of slop and wiggle.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

OGS-Remix posted:

I just used gorilla glue for my gloomhaven inserts and it worked fine. Whatever you get just make sure it dries clear so it looks good in the end.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

lol that guy in the thread I'm arguing against owns

So far:
- Claimed I was a troll (I think?)
- Claims that time != improvement
- Responds only with "but my friend hated it" and "it's not fun/it's boring" arguments

Fishing has never been so easy.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Tekopo posted:

lol that guy in the thread I'm arguing against owns

So far:
- Claimed I was a troll (I think?)
- Claims that time != improvement
- Responds only with "but my friend hated it" and "it's not fun/it's boring" arguments

Fishing has never been so easy.

:wow:

You have to understand Tekopo, that's :science:!

The designer of the game... posted:

Honestly I think the game is worth backing for the mini's alone and how limited/exclusive it is.

I almost feel anyone who doesn't find that damning probably deserves exactly what they're buying.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also apparently fighting games have a low barrier to entry, who knew. I guess when you define the barrier as "being able to press buttons".

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Also apparently fighting games have a low barrier to entry, who knew. I guess when you define the barrier as "being able to press buttons".

That was true with Eddy from Tekken 3

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

canyoneer posted:

:drat:

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Tekopo posted:

Then why am I so bad at them?!

canyoneer posted:

:emptyquote:

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Tekepo- since you're the main person that's been praising The Expanse, how've you found the balance? I've got it on the table once, but it seemed pretty solid with maybe a ten point difference between first and third places. The fourth place player went dumb and got pretty bad tunnel vision at the mid/end game that kept him out of the bonus scoring bands.

Part of me wants to try running a PBF of the game, but man I'm still having flashbacks of modding Dark Moon.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

canyoneer posted:

I have now figured out why I loved Tekken.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

canyoneer posted:

That was true with Kilik from Soul Calibur

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Spiggy posted:

Tekepo- since you're the main person that's been praising The Expanse, how've you found the balance? I've got it on the table once, but it seemed pretty solid with maybe a ten point difference between first and third places. The fourth place player went dumb and got pretty bad tunnel vision at the mid/end game that kept him out of the bonus scoring bands.

Part of me wants to try running a PBF of the game, but man I'm still having flashbacks of modding Dark Moon.
I've found the balance very good so far. I've seen wins with every major faction, but I've seen reports that Mars is overall the weakest faction, although at first it appears to be the strongest. Overall all of the other factions have better ways to gain and hold influence beyond just being able to break ties in space, with the earth faction having the more powerful 'break ties on the ground', the OPA being able to place influence anywhere in the outer planets/belt and having the 1/2 fleets (which in themselves are better than Mars stuff), and Protogen having the ability to subvert qubes/go for the nuclear option.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pro quote from that SF minis kickstarter "how to play":

"So you can counter your opponent for rolling very poorly"

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I can't believe Daigo made all those random dice rolls to parry Justin Wong that one time, what a lucky dude.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BGG is legit dumber than Reddit

quote:

Idiot arguing with Tekopo said

Your first point is ridiculous. No, time does not = improvement. There is an affinity for such things or their isn't. I had a group of people that played Double Dash regularly, some never got better, because reflexes do not improve, you have them or you don't. Science does not back up your claim.

:thunk:

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
The weirdest theme for a game is Guts Of Glory, in which players try to eat more rubber tires, radioactive waste, and spiders than their opponent. The game features upgrades like extra teeth, and heavily involves a regurgitating into other people's mouths mechanic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

The weirdest theme for a game is Guts Of Glory, in which players try to eat more rubber tires, radioactive waste, and spiders than their opponent. The game features upgrades like extra teeth, and heavily involves a regurgitating into other people's mouths mechanic.

username:post combo

EDIT: Watching that terrible SF minis game video now. How the gently caress you gonna make a SF game and set it on the WRONG 2d plane???

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 2, 2018

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bottom Liner posted:

BGG is legit dumber than Reddit

:thunk:

Well poo poo my 2 year old has awful reflexes so it looks like she's screwed for life because science.

Also Angry Joe is bottom of the loving barrel for video games. He yells and is Angry therefore he is right.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bum the Sad posted:

Hey since I saw it on the shelf of Rad should I buy Sushi Go or Sushi Go Party as a quick fluff game to throw in on a game night or play with the wife?
Great for a game night but not that good for a 2-player game with a partner.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

A board/fighting game discussion, holy poo poo. The pinnacle of bad opinions and hot takes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't know how to feel about this. It has Boelinger's name, but....

Boelinger is Head of Design for Wizkids now, isn't he?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

This has existed as a print and play for a while. Facebook displayed a targeted ad to me for it which I'm honestly offended by. I have better taste than that, Facebook.
https://www.camprojectsllc.com/

Harry Potter pee pee doo doo lol n-word random XD

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Bum the Sad posted:

Hey since I saw it on the shelf of Rad should I buy Sushi Go or Sushi Go Party as a quick fluff game to throw in on a game night or play with the wife?

Currently Organ Attack fills that spot. (Fun little card game with cute art I picked up from the artist at PAX south)

Party is great, but not really 1 v 1 - you need to play a variant like grid drafting and then it's a bit clunky.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Thanks for all the info on the glue. It is just cut small wood pieces so I think I'll be ok with a clear glue.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

canyoneer posted:

this is hell

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

canyoneer posted:

Is there actual racism in this game, or are you just saying it's racist as a synonym for "bad and unfunny"?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Hello all, I need help remembering the name of a game. It's on a simple 4x4 grid and each of the 2 players get a set of pieces. The pieces are cut slightly differently, like some have holes, some can have one or two notches, etc. The goal is the line up pieces of the same cut similar to tick tack toe.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

A Bag of Milk posted:

Hello all, I need help remembering the name of a game. It's on a simple 4x4 grid and each of the 2 players get a set of pieces. The pieces are cut slightly differently, like some have holes, some can have one or two notches, etc. The goal is the line up pieces of the same cut similar to tick tack toe.

Are you thinking of Tak? There's only two types of pieces there though; each player has one capstone and a number of other pieces that are all the same. The non-capstone pieces can be played either as a wall or as a road, and the goal is to connect one side of the board to its opposite side via road pieces.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

King of Bleh posted:

Is there actual racism in this game, or are you just saying it's racist as a synonym for "bad and unfunny"?

Actually come to think of it, cards against humanity gets the racism through without relying on that particular slur.

I suppose it's possible for the game to be less racist than CaH. That's a pretty low bar to clear.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

King of Bleh posted:

I skimmed through and it seemed to be mostly sex and body fluid jokes, with a couple of callouts of the franchise's own racial biases.

terebikun
May 27, 2016

canyoneer posted:

Actually come to think of it, cards against humanity gets the racism through without relying on that particular slur.

I suppose it's possible for the game to be less racist than CaH. That's a pretty low bar to clear.

Doesn't Harry Potter as a franchise ignore the whole elf slavery thing for as long as possible? Also, isn't "mudblood" an actual archaic slur for Jewish people, or am I mixing it up with other similar slurs?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

A Bag of Milk posted:

I think I know the one you mean, it's kind of like 3d connect four, but you can connect shape, height colour or 'whether it has a hole in it'ness? Quarto? Is it that?

!Klams fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 3, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The Pathologic boardgame was around half price a while ago so I picked it and it just arrived this afternoon, I'm very excited to play it next week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkogqBj81I4

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

jmzero posted:

Have now played all the base Nemeses in Aeon's End. Overall, it's a solid game and we had fun with it - but we won't be playing the base box more. I feel like the player characters could have used some more variety, and that a couple of the bosses were pretty dumb (we played Crooked Mask last, and his gimmick of giving you garbage made for a slog).

Not a bad choice if you don't mind having to buy more content to keep going (I think it'd be pretty boring to replay); I think Legacy is really a good fit here and will be happy to pick the game back up when that comes in.
They did a good job of making the characters feel more unique in the expansion, in the base game yeah they're pretty samey. If you haven't played the hard mode of each boss I recommend you try at least one or two of them to see if you want to keep going, they're a significantly different experience than the first time through. My group ended up playing through three times in all, once on regular, once on hard mode, once on the very hard mode that has you starting with less life.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

terebikun posted:

Doesn't Harry Potter as a franchise ignore the whole elf slavery thing for as long as possible? Also, isn't "mudblood" an actual archaic slur for Jewish people, or am I mixing it up with other similar slurs?

It doesn't really matter if it is or not, the wizards in Harry Potter are all explicitly racist. Even the ones who don't openly hold non-wizards in contempt or hatred have a "white man's burden" thing going on.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

terebikun posted:

Doesn't Harry Potter as a franchise ignore the whole elf slavery thing for as long as possible?
Not really, it becomes a major subplot in the 4th book.

Whether the way it is handled is better or worse than not mentioning it is another matter though.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Rowling is a terf.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Rowling is a terf.

Today I learned this term existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Got to play a 2p learning game of ROOT last night. Open card hands, Cats vs Birds, finished in just under 2 hours. I think it’s good! I played as the Eyrie, which has a gimmick of slowly building up a set of actions that must be performed or you “collapse” and lose victory points. Because of this I was pushed to constantly expand or else lose out on my action economy. The host tried out the Marquis de Cat, which has a Roman Empire feel to them. He started the game with one soldier on every space, and he chose to fall back and build infrastructure before launching some offensives.

Despite the different scoring mechanics the game felt neck and neck up to the lasted turn (where I made a bet on the dice and lost :argh:). Despite that I could tell the game needed three players to be considered balanced, since I could barely make a dent in the Cat’s infrastructure. I look forward to trying it again now that we’ve got a better understanding of the rules.