Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Raxivace posted:

Y'all always make these Yakuza games sound fun. If I didn't have so much on my plate at the moment I'd be jumping right into them.

The curse of videogames is that there are too many videogames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This year I've just resolved to play games until I get bored of them and not feel like I have to continue out of some greater sense of obligation to finish.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Rarity posted:

I've been playing my way through the original Dead Rising and I got to the final boss and immediately got instakilled from full health, the gently caress? :psyduck:

what level are you

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I never understood why Dead Rising was a game you were supposed to play, start over, then play through again but be "stronger". I mean I guess it makes sense in practice but it seems annoying to do that with a story-driven game.

I also wished DR2 didn't have Zombrex or whatever, that poo poo was annoying. I just want to explore the mall or whatever and bop dudes with hilarious tools but there's a time limit :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The first Dead Rising really feels like it should have just been a Majora's Mask style time loop story about zombies, because all of the mechanics communicate that it is one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

This year I've just resolved to play games until I get bored of them and not feel like I have to continue out of some greater sense of obligation to finish.

you have no idea how close i am to just deleting Persona 5 for this reason. i think i'm in the last dungeon though? I'm in the required Memetos part

the main reason i don't just push through to finish it is that i just know there's gonna be a solid 8 hours of cutscenes coming up, and also since I'm only like level 62 and can't even fuse any ultimate personas makes me conclude I am either vastly under-leveled (yet I've been tearing through the bosses/enemies so that can't be it) or you only get to play with cool Personas if you grind an unreasonable amount or do a NG+ which would be laaaaaaaaame

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

lmao

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

suuma posted:

I never understood why Dead Rising was a game you were supposed to play, start over, then play through again but be "stronger". I mean I guess it makes sense in practice but it seems annoying to do that with a story-driven game.

I also wished DR2 didn't have Zombrex or whatever, that poo poo was annoying. I just want to explore the mall or whatever and bop dudes with hilarious tools but there's a time limit :(

Good news! They fixed this is DR3 and 4!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

suuma posted:

its because dead rising was made by the same team as breath of fire dragon quarter, which is a jrpg that has the exact same gimmick

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

Good news! They fixed this is DR3 and 4!

Monkeys paw

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Real hurthling! posted:

You have to fail at the story missions a bunch and keep doing ng+ until you are buff

Your character progress carries over between failed runs just go kill zombies take pics and learn the map for a few hours before trying to play.

If that sounds bad, yeah its dumb and never conveyed

I'm level 33, I had 10 health :negative:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Danith posted:

I'm trying to decide between Eco and PixArk. I like how PixArk has dinosaurs and elementals and stuff, but then I like the ecosystem in Eco and all the graphs and such :| I'd probably set up my own server with whatever one I buy, is one more suited to small group play? Looking at Eco, it seems like it would only really work with a bunch of people.

To be honest, I can't speak to Eco as I've never played it and am only slightly familiar with it from reading the first post about it in its thread. That said, I play PixArk with my fiancee and that's it. I dunno if there's an "end game" for it or not, but I kinda just like to gently caress around and build houses/tame critters

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going from Yakuza 0 to Kiwami has been an absolute treat, and the Kiryu/Majima relationship in Kiwami loving goes places. I played through 3 years ago and they do a really good job with the orphanage and getting it's hooks in you. As far as "getting tired of playing the same game," well, they constantly change poo poo up with systems and minigames that it never really feels tired. From management sims in 0 to unlock your secret fight styles to dealing with Majima Everywhere in Kiwami to rank up your Dragon of Dojima style, they're never letting the material get stale. The core gameplay loop may remain similar, but they're always throwing you curveballs.

It's also incredibly Japanese and they do their best to make the culture incredibly accessible to dumbass idiot American nerds who could only dream of living there. It's super loving cool!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, for me things only got stale feeling in 5 because it felt like they didn't design the other towns very well (especially Saejima's) and the side stories were VERY much lacking in it.

It's also the one that feels like the longest to play, even though it really isn't, because halfway through you suddenly have to play idolmaster for 5 or 10 hours, and I even like those kind of games. But boy does it destroy the plot's momentum. Even Akiyama being there doesn't help much, though his substories are the best in the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

PantsBandit posted:

Play 0 first because it introduces you to a bunch of the major characters and is really good.

Then read a plot synopsis for the other ones.

I would also suggest playing Kiwami first before 6. 6 does have a bunch of catch-up lore materials and I was able to pick up on a bunch of 2-5 stuff from context. But one of the most important characters in 6 was introduced in 1/Kiwami, plus Kiwami and 0 are really interlinked, a lot of story beats in Kiwami "pay off" things from 0\

Also give this man the thread title, it's only right

precision posted:

i could have sworn i said i was gonna make the thread since my wife and i both have birthdays this month :(

oh well. thread title really ought to be Yakuza-related tho

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Saint Freak posted:

How many times can you stomach the same game? Most people normal people are going to be burned out after like twice.

Let me tell you about this little company called Ubisoft...

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samuringa posted:

Let me tell you about this little company called Ubisoft...

Yeah, seriously. I'm trying to come back to AC:Origins and I keep remembering I could be playing Witcher instead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't have a better Yakuza title idea than "April is the Kiryuest month" though

maybe something like "Let April Kiryu of the winter blues"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
April Chat Thread: Asking you out to the Monster Prom

It comes out at the tail end of April though so it'll just have to be the May thread title after my gratuitous screenshot posting convinces everyone it was in fact April GotM

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

its because dead rising was made by the same team as breath of fire dragon quarter, which is a jrpg that has the exact same gimmick

And it's an annoying gimmick there, too. If anything, the formula is vastly improved in Dead Rising. Dragon Quarter started you at level 1 every time. You kept the attacks you found, but rarely had the AP to use them effectively because you were lv1.

The worst part was, you would get reserve EXP--I think it was like 10% of the total exp you gained before restarting--as you went through the game and could spend it at any time. But once you spent it, it was gone forever. So if you spent it on any run that you didn't finish the game on, it was an absolute waste of every resource you'd painstakingly built up to that point. Horrible.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The time mechanics worked fine in Dead Rising 1 and 2. 3 and 4 are the ones that sucked rear end when they removed the limit.

Alright i"m being too harsh on 3, it's ok but goddamn is the main character boring.

4 however? Goddamn trash.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You could pass equipment on too, though, which was the big thing. And saving reserve XP for a run was fine as long as you knew not to use it right away, you basically end up spending it on your last run all on Ryu anyway to compensate for the dragon powers that you no longer really need (although honestly you have plenty of % to make it through the game and still use it, people just get iffy around time limits of any kind).

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Samuringa posted:

here's a bunch of anime poo poo for you filthy weeaboos

https://twitter.com/Siliconera/status/980604726801702912

Lily Bergamot 2: Mahou Arms

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Rarity posted:

I've been playing my way through the original Dead Rising and I got to the final boss and immediately got instakilled from full health, the gently caress? :psyduck:

It's been over 11 years since I last played it, but if you're talking about the true final boss in the best path then he has an instakill attack where he'll break your neck if you don't waggle the stick fast enough.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Should I play Thumper on Switch?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Should I play Thumper on Switch?

You should play it in VR but if you don't have that a Switch is more than acceptable. Use headphones.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone else Extremely looking forward to Frostpunk? I'm playing This War Of Mine again in preparation. A friend of mine saw Frostpunk at pax and said it looked fantastic, and he hates grim games. Anyone else seen it demo'd?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there no way to swap the jump and suck buttons around in Planet Robobot? :(

Star Allies is like the first kirb to ever let you swap that i think. The series has almost always had jump and action flipped from what most other platformers use

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
can a mod or admin go glance at the Fortnite thread, it's turned into an absolute dumpster fire

i would just PM somebody but... y'know, no PMs

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

can a mod or admin go glance at the Fortnite thread, it's turned into an absolute dumpster fire

I suspect they haven't been around or this thread would be stickied prolly?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

what's going on in the fortnite thread

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

I looked and taylor swift is in there being a white supremacist

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

I just clicked on this and this was the second-to-most recent post:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

if you're not a white nationalist, then what exactly are you trying to say with those tweets

just going "nuh-uh" is not a defense

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I thought y'all were talking about the actual Tay Tay, considering Drake played it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah basically one of the fortnite goons got outed as a literal actual no-poo poo neo-nazi and is trying to puppetmaster-defense everyone

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ah, the ol altisen maneuver

e: lmao an anime redhatter

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm going to ban nazis from watching anime

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sys/d/100-gpu-cryptocurrency-mining/6544905150.html

Hell yea, sounds like a great deal!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
It pays for itself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why is he asking for fiat currency??

• Locked thread