Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
How difficult is the dlc quest to upgrade the master sword?

I've done almost every shrine (sans dlc and plot locked ones) and I was planning to beef up my armour and weaponry before ploughing through the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kin posted:

How difficult is the dlc quest to upgrade the master sword?

I've done almost every shrine (sans dlc and plot locked ones) and I was planning to beef up my armour and weaponry before ploughing through the story.

The first segment of the sword trial is by far the toughest, but overall I felt it falls squarely in the "tough but fair" category.

PSA on the trials though; they take away all your gear, like Eventide, so you can't bring in your heavy gear

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

jivjov posted:

The first segment of the sword trial is by far the toughest, but overall I felt it falls squarely in the "tough but fair" category.

PSA on the trials though; they take away all your gear, like Eventide, so you can't bring in your heavy gear

You can however eat for bonuses beforehand. I found defense to be the most useful trait.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:stonk: Daaaaaaaamn

https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_the_Wild/comments/88kqst/i_tried_seeing_if_you_can_catch_a_boomerang_in/?st=JFFZ3VM9&sh=2bff87a3

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So, having just done a couple of charged attacks on a stasis locked lynel, have I been unknowingly handicapping myself the whole game so far by not remembering to use it?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

I'm still not convinced you're an alt I post as when I'm really drunk.
That Jameson Stout caskmates poo poo just goes down way too smoothly.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kin posted:

So, having just done a couple of charged attacks on a stasis locked lynel, have I been unknowingly handicapping myself the whole game so far by not remembering to use it?

yes

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
You don't need Stasis when you can stun them with an arrow to the face, hop on their back, and rain durability-free blows with your strongest weapon.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Fighting Lynels with dodges and flurry rushes is fun as hell, if you’re good at getting those opportunities you’re not really depriving yourself by not using stasis on them. If you find that aspect of the combat system to be infuriating, though, then go nuts, the world is your temporarily time-frozen oyster.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Chill Penguin posted:

You don't need Stasis when you can stun them with an arrow to the face, hop on their back, and rain durability-free blows with your strongest weapon.

Can you explain durability free swings? I'm still early in the game and so hesitant to swing my weapon at anything. Do you not take durability hits during stasis lock?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It's specific to Lynels. If you can get on their back you get access to your attack button for a few seconds and any attack you make before it bucks you off does not count against your weapon durability. You could kill a lynel with a single tree branch if you wanted.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Chill Penguin posted:

I didn't know I could stun them. I especially didn't know I could stasis lock and then delayed stun them.

This is going to be a game changer for me.

Lynel hunting, here I come.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's specific to Lynels. If you can get on their back you get access to your attack button for a few seconds and any attack you make before it bucks you off does not count against your weapon durability. You could kill a lynel with a single tree branch if you wanted.

Gotcha, now I need to figure out how to kill those big rock beasts that chase me down.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

TraderStav posted:

Gotcha, now I need to figure out how to kill those big rock beasts that chase me down.

Yeah I tended to avoid them for simplicity's sake, since the rewards really don't outweigh the effort or the cost (like most fights in the game unfortunately). I got pretty bored with combat pretty quickly once I was able to face-tank attacks by having loads of healing items and good armor. It's why I enjoyed the master trials so much for forcing you to get creative again. I have so much respect for people who figure out cool things to do in combat, that are unfortunately not quite worth the payoff, and way less efficient. I don't have the patience for those efforts.

That said bombs are very good at blowing up rocks.

Also, where's your train avatar from, I know it's from a game we used to play back in the computer lab in middle school but I can't remember it. There were other vehicles and you were racing for some reason.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

TraderStav posted:

Climb on their backs and spin-bash their ore nodes. The ones with nodes on their sides are a tad trickier; I've heard people say use a halberd but I just use bombs/bomb arrows.

They're handy for jewels to sell when you want cash.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Runcible Cat posted:

Climb on their backs and spin-bash their ore nodes. The ones with nodes on their sides are a tad trickier; I've heard people say use a halberd but I just use bombs/bomb arrows.

The rock-breaking blunt weapons do bonus damage with that method. Good to always have a sledgehammer or equivalent on hand anyway.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah I tended to avoid them for simplicity's sake, since the rewards really don't outweigh the effort or the cost (like most fights in the game unfortunately). I got pretty bored with combat pretty quickly once I was able to face-tank attacks by having loads of healing items and good armor. It's why I enjoyed the master trials so much for forcing you to get creative again. I have so much respect for people who figure out cool things to do in combat, that are unfortunately not quite worth the payoff, and way less efficient. I don't have the patience for those efforts.

That said bombs are very good at blowing up rocks.

Also, where's your train avatar from, I know it's from a game we used to play back in the computer lab in middle school but I can't remember it. There were other vehicles and you were racing for some reason.

It's a gang tag from the biggest idiot to ever grace SA BFC. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827922

Runcible Cat posted:

I probably need to get more practice but I can never seem to get behind it. It turns really fast. I haven't given it a college try yet though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

TraderStav posted:

It's a gang tag from the biggest idiot to ever grace SA BFC. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827922

Right. That animated train just dredged up some memory of an obscure game from computer lab days. You could also race with a stage-coach and maybe something else. You probably had to solve math problems or something to get ahead.

Fake edit: Typed train racing stagecoach pc game and found "How the West was One + Three x Four" and it's totally that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got the mastercycle this weekend and found out you can ram hinoxes to death with it. It’s a slow but hilarious way to kill them.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

TraderStav posted:

I probably need to get more practice but I can never seem to get behind it. It turns really fast. I haven't given it a college try yet though.

Either wait for it to lunge at you or shoot the node with an arrow and it will fall down for a second. It's pretty easy to jump on while it's down. I haven't tried it but I bet you could also stasis it and jump on relatively easily.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I’m doing my second play through from the start and man I forgot how eerie it was climbing the mountain and freeing the Dragon from the malice

Also I just triggered the start of Terry Town :neckbeard:

Edit: also hell yeah getting Revali’s Gale as my first Champion power has made things SO MUCH EASIER to deal with. Ive also spent most of my Orbs for Stamina instead of hearts. I love being able to climb higher and glide further.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 2, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Revalis Gale first and Gerudo Desert last (to avoid constant Yiga) is the pro strat.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I got the mastercycle this weekend and found out you can ram hinoxes to death with it. It’s a slow but hilarious way to kill them.

Using the mastercycle to hunt gourmet meat on the tundra is pretty fun as well.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Revalis Gale first and Gerudo Desert last (to avoid constant Yiga) is the pro strat.

i did the exact opposite my first playthrough!

:shepicide:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Zore posted:

i did the exact opposite my first playthrough!

:shepicide:

Same.

:negative:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

At 7 hearts I'm probably not going to attempt even going into the Gerudo desert for a while. I have Mipha's Grace as well and that occasionally helps. I'm going to head to the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab just to fire it up even though I don't think I'll be able to build anything for a while. I'll need to be getting to Death Mountain soon to recruit a Goron to start smashing rocks in Terry Town. I also have to get to the Deku people to start spending some of these drat seeds for more slots.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So that's why I haven't run into Yiga more than a few times!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I need to figure out how to survive on Death Mountain, because Gerudo clothes + food + ice sword isn't cutting it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Fuzz posted:

I need to figure out how to survive on Death Mountain, because Gerudo clothes + food + ice sword isn't cutting it.

There are helpful things on the roads and at the stables.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Heat stroke and being on fire aren't the same thing and they're not prevented by the same things. There's something you can use at the stable near the base of the trail, and there are sidequests you should do on the way up.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

TraderStav posted:

If you're running around at a Talus' feet, they can't hurt you without a faceplant, and you'll almost certainly have enough time to sprint through their armpit-gaps when they do.

At least, that's how I recall doing it on the afternoon I decided to kill all of them, but I also had three Stamina Wheels at the time. Nice Rock crushing weapon for the ones which have nodes on top, (I typically used Boulder Breaker), multi-shot lynel bow for the ones with nodes on the back.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ok, that face stun lynel thing must have a % chance or something because i fought the silver one in the coliseum and while i kept stunning it, i rarely got the prompt to climb on its back.

I have learned though that rather than using barbarian armor, i can use the ancient armor plus ancient weapons to get a stronger attack. An attack i can boost just a little bit more by eating a bunch of cooked bananas.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You can't mount a lynel if you stun it while it's in stasis.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Zoran posted:

There are helpful things on the roads and at the stables.

It would probably help if I stuck to the roads more...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You also can't stun a lynel if you hit it in the face with an arrow while it's in stasis.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Fuzz posted:

It would probably help if I stuck to the roads more...

My first time I found the highest, closest place to the city where I wasn't catching fire and then glided over (taking fire damage). When I got there a Goron was like "You're on fire! Come, follow me to get this armor." It was great. I later learned of the recommended ways of getting there.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

You also can't stun a lynel if you hit it in the face with an arrow while it's in stasis.

Hmm, pretty sure it seems like I can. There was another lynel I was stasis stunning fairly consistently, unless the arrow was hitting the exact moment the stasis ended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQFC6DyzZUI