Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Well, on the upside the next 'Down the Rabbit Hole' video's script is pretty much all done and ready for Mr. Knudsen to read out! :D

holy loving poo poo that man gently caress D:

e: stupid loving pagesnipe bollocks - Today's Jimquisition is about 'Ubifcation' and is kinda tangentially related to some video game discussion on the previous page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYfYLR2PL68

KayTee fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Benne posted:

Todd has a new One Hit Wonderland on Butthole Surfers (yes, that's the real band name and it tells you everything you need to know about them)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIjE8R_j5h4

I don't think we truly appreciate how strange and "of its time" the 90s alt rock scene really was. You'll never hear poo poo like this make it on the radio today.
Yeah in retrospect its kind of crazy that Mr. Bungle was a thing that was on a major label (it did help that Faith No More was really popular, but apparently Warner Bros actually just really liked them).

God I wish they would do a reunion show, watching their live shows from the beginning to the end its amazing how distinct their "eras" were.

But yeah any Mike Patton joint from the late 80s to the early 00s was basically the peak of alternative music

Todd should do a OHW on "Epic" even though FNM did have a bunch of hits

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Shaun's video on Charlottesville.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcoYKuoiUrY

Watch it before it maybe gets taken down.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Solitair posted:

I remember when Fallout 3 came out and people like Yahtzee and the Extra Credits guy were like "OH MAN THE OPENING IS SO IMMERSIVE AND COOL".

Eh. After so long without a Fallout game, having a bit about life in a Vault actually felt nice. Back then, I did enjoy it.

But then again, I only played the game one time and a half. For those who played it 3+ times, I can see it getting old and hammy fast, especially once you've seen the lame ending.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sephyr posted:

But then again, I only played the game one time and a half. For those who played it 3+ times, I can see it getting old and hammy fast, especially once you've seen the lame ending.

This is the actual problem, really. Bethesda are making games that are in theory meant to be played multiple times with different kinds of characters, but they're in love with set piece driven long introductions that make starting a new character take goddamn forever, because they're really impressive the first time.

I am so familiar with the opening of Skyrim and the first few quests up to getting shouts. :smith:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

that is another thing morrowind gets right. it just dumps you in a lovely fishing town and tells you to go to a place, and after just one short quest the dude explicitly tells you to do other poo poo for a while. that's if you ever actually go to talk to him at all, which i and most everyone i know did not do at first and instead just joined random factions and forgot about the main quest entirely for like, a hundred+ hours.

the way skyrim and oblivion just railroad you at the start makes replaying them irritating at best.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Lightning Knight posted:

Bethesda are making games that are in theory meant to be played multiple times with different kinds of characters

They've been trying to leave this behind for a while now too, Skyrim you can be the grand poobah of the not-fighters-guild, grand wizard of the mages guild, sneakman supreme of the thieves guild, night mama's special boy of the dark brotherhood, big hero rallying guy of the imperials or the racists, all in the same playthrough. FO4 they tried a little harder to give you some unique content by characters, but really you can juggle every faction for so long that it only really matters to the end-end, where most of the endings are the exact same dumb nuke button anyway.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s a Half in the Bag on Ready Player One, and they just seem to think it’s uninspired trash. Mike didn’t even really seem to mind reading the book.

I think they’ve been desensitized. I mean, I understand the movie could just be bland, but that loving book was an endless assault on my aesthetic and moral sensibilities.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ryuga Death posted:

This is fairly nuanced and even absolves the Alt-Right of some of the things that weren't their fault. So I bet itt'l be received as communist soros lefty propaganda anyway. :v:

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

business hammocks posted:

There’s a Half in the Bag on Ready Player One, and they just seem to think it’s uninspired trash. Mike didn’t even really seem to mind reading the book.

I think they’ve been desensitized. I mean, I understand the movie could just be bland, but that loving book was an endless assault on my aesthetic and moral sensibilities.

I liked how they wrestled with the feeling that the movie seemed to be made for 14 year old boys, but the references were all for 35 year old men. It's almost as if it's designed for 35 year old men with the maturity of 14 year old boys. :thunk:

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

This is the actual problem, really. Bethesda are making games that are in theory meant to be played multiple times with different kinds of characters, but they're in love with set piece driven long introductions that make starting a new character take goddamn forever, because they're really impressive the first time.

I am so familiar with the opening of Skyrim and the first few quests up to getting shouts. :smith:

At least Fallout 3 and 4 allow you to completely remake your character after the tutorial, so you can just save right before that point and go back there whenever you want to start a new game. It’s a neat little thing that a lot of games would benefit from having.

Re: the new Jimquisition: he makes a few good points as always, but I think he’s exaggerating just how similar these games are. They certainly have similar elements, but that reasoning could apply to just about any genre:

“All fighting games have you controlling one of two characters onscreen, using complex button combinations to execute a wide variety of special moves to defeat the other character.”
“All bullet hell games pit you against waves of enemies that spam countless projectiles at you as you fly across a 2D plane, forcing you to dodge with great precision."
“All FPS games equip your character with one or more guns, which you then fire at enemies from a first-person perspective, usually while travelling across a linear environment."

I think his problem is that he refuses to see Open-World as a genre in its own right, with its own defining conventions, as opposed to just being a subset of action games. As with any niche genre, individual titles are differentiated by the precise balance of common elements. For example, focus on stealth vs. action gameplay; set protagonist vs. customizable avatar; first person vs. third person, fantastical setting vs. realistic. People play these games because they enjoy these familiar gameplay elements and want to see them tweaked a bit, rather than changed completely.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope Ubisoft's Skull and Bones game ends up being decent. Sea of Thieves being the content vacuum it is just put me in the mood for a good ol' pirate game.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Yardbomb posted:

They've been trying to leave this behind for a while now too, Skyrim you can be the grand poobah of the not-fighters-guild, grand wizard of the mages guild, sneakman supreme of the thieves guild, night mama's special boy of the dark brotherhood, big hero rallying guy of the imperials or the racists, all in the same playthrough. FO4 they tried a little harder to give you some unique content by characters, but really you can juggle every faction for so long that it only really matters to the end-end, where most of the endings are the exact same dumb nuke button anyway.

Yeah and it's why Skyrim is really frustratingly unsatisfying if you want to do the guild quests, because becoming the unqualified nominal leader/super efficient goffer of every group is silly.

Bakeneko posted:

I think his problem is that he refuses to see Open-World as a genre in its own right, with its own defining conventions, as opposed to just being a subset of action games.

This seems to be a common issue, it took awhile before FPS games were their own genre as opposed to "Doom clones," and maybe one day we'll come up with a better name than "souls-like," or "ARPG" for games in the vein of Dark Souls.

Also Shaun's new video is great and I like his sense of humor but it's kind of understated. He has an issue I find generally where he's so deadpan and straight-faced in his delivery that if you aren't already in the know about how fascists are garbage you can come away without a sense for how little he thinks of them. Maybe it's because I'm American and he's British, and the differences in comedy conventions, etc.

But I mean, on the other hand, Hbomb openly chaos dunks right-wingers so who the gently caress knows.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Ryuga Death posted:

Watched and downloaded. Will mirror if need be. (He even says go ahead and mirror if it's false flagged).

There's a certain group of people who I'd love to take, nail them to a chair, staple open their eyelids, and make them watch this. Shaun literally addresses all the bullshit deflection talking points that get thrown around.

"It's just a joke bro"
"Nazi's haven't existed since 1930s..."
"The Antifa thugs attacked us"
"Alt-right isn't a hate group"
"The neo-nazi and white supremacists are just a small fraction and no one involved supports them"

If you'll excuse me, I need to buy some more staple-gun staples. Some people need to hear these shitstains calling a mass murderer a "hero".

lornekates fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 2, 2018

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

business hammocks posted:

I'll remind you that they read the book AND reviewed the adaptation of "The Last Vampire on Earth". So they may actually be permanently damaged when it comes to adaptations.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

Also Shaun's new video is great and I like his sense of humor but it's kind of understated. He has an issue I find generally where he's so deadpan and straight-faced in his delivery that if you aren't already in the know about how fascists are garbage you can come away without a sense for how little he thinks of them. Maybe it's because I'm American and he's British, and the differences in comedy conventions, etc.

Really? Because there's some pretty unambiguous wording in there, like "they are trash" and "anything more than 0 Nazis is too many Nazis".

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lornekates posted:

Really? Because there's some pretty unambiguous wording in there, like "they are trash" and "anything more than 0 Nazis is too many Nazis".

Yeah but I'm not talking about people like me - i.e. people who are already leftist.

I'm talking about people like my parents - i.e. people who are nominally liberal in some areas and socially conservative in many ways who I often send videos and articles about leftist topics to. Shaun is aiming for a kind of quasi-educational angle, as far as I can tell, but I'd be wary of sending this video to them because they're take away might be "seems like the cops are the bad ones."

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with how Shaun is doing it I guess, he's video is good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

that is another thing morrowind gets right. it just dumps you in a lovely fishing town and tells you to go to a place, and after just one short quest the dude explicitly tells you to do other poo poo for a while. that's if you ever actually go to talk to him at all, which i and most everyone i know did not do at first and instead just joined random factions and forgot about the main quest entirely for like, a hundred+ hours.

the way skyrim and oblivion just railroad you at the start makes replaying them irritating at best.

You'll go no further until you have your papers.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Bakeneko posted:

Re: the new Jimquisition: he makes a few good points as always, but I think he’s exaggerating just how similar these games are. They certainly have similar elements, but that reasoning could apply to just about any genre:

That's one thing that put me off about the Yakuza video he did. Because the side-stories, when boiled down to the bare bones of what you do, are just going certain places, selecting from dialogue choices, and fighting enemies that pop up. It's either that, or it's basically achieving objectives at a diversion mini-game. So you can't really say that Yakuza's gameplay is "more varied" than something like whatever AAA open-world game you care to mention.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah but I'm not talking about people like me - i.e. people who are already leftist.

I'm talking about people like my parents - i.e. people who are nominally liberal in some areas and socially conservative in many ways who I often send videos and articles about leftist topics to. Shaun is aiming for a kind of quasi-educational angle, as far as I can tell, but I'd be wary of sending this video to them because they're take away might be "seems like the cops are the bad ones."

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with how Shaun is doing it I guess, he's video is good.

I mean that’s probably a good thing to take away from it, as police protection and infiltration by Nazis is the bigger threat.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that’s probably a good thing to take away from it, as police protection and infiltration by Nazis is the bigger threat.

Fair. But again - are normal people who aren't extremely online going to make that full conclusion?

I haven't been able to finish his video due to real life, I'm half way through. But seriously, I think it's great so far. I guess I'm sort of wishing for Shaun to be something he isn't rather than criticizing him, which is dumb on my part.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I liked how they wrestled with the feeling that the movie seemed to be made for 14 year old boys, but the references were all for 35 year old men. It's almost as if it's designed for 35 year old men with the maturity of 14 year old boys. :thunk:
HITB is two world weary 40-somethings who are super mad that movies aren't as fun as when they were literal children so that shouldn't be surprising.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Acute Grill posted:

HITB is two world weary 40-somethings who are super mad that movies aren't as fun as when they were literal children so that shouldn't be surprising.

Jay had the right of it, considering the story is as bland as an episode of Danny Phantom, the only real difference being brand names being all over the place in RP1.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Acute Grill posted:

They didn’t recommend the movie more baffled by it so what was your point.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Jay had the right of it, considering the story is as bland as an episode of Danny Phantom, the only real difference being brand names being all over the place in RP1.

It's what Foodfight wanted so badly to be.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kim Justice posted:

Well, here it is folks. It's April 2nd. If you're Mike Michaud, this will not be a good day. Presenting a record of events while working for TGWTG.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WZFkR__B3Mk9EYQglvislMUx9HWvWhOaBP820UBa4dA/preview

The document is very long. There's a condensed version linked at the start.

EDIT: Mike Michaud is a vile scumfuck.

Oooh, THATS what Brad called Lupa in the Food Fight review!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bakeneko posted:

I think his problem is that he refuses to see Open-World as a genre in its own right, with its own defining conventions, as opposed to just being a subset of action games.
I think it's more a critique of how each of these elements is implemented the same way over and over again for most AAA games, given how much he has praised the exceptions, like Horizon Zero Dawn.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

part of it is probably the curse of being <media> critic, where you're obligated to dip into every new offering versus other people that might only come around to that side of town every few years

i think i might pick up far cry five later this year, and seeing as i've never touched an ubisoft game, the complaints about repetition don't worry me too much

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think it was superbunnyhop who once said that he played every AAA game that came out for the sake of crit and it sounded like the most monotonous poo poo imaginable.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Motto posted:

I think it was superbunnyhop who once said that he played every AAA game that came out for the sake of crit and it sounded like the most monotonous poo poo imaginable.

it's a job :/

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Once Superbunnyhop got his Patreon up and running I think he very quickly realized that if you make something your job, it becomes... y'know, a job. It didn't take long before he said he was done with game reviews because he found that playing games to review them wasn't fun. And like, sure, I bet it does take some of the fun out of them. It's a job.

It might even be good advice to say that if you really love playing games for the sake of playing games, don't try to make a career out of reviewing them.

In Superbunnyhop's case, he's lucky he made his name on things that aren't reviews, like his big Konami investigation from a couple years back, so stopping reviews won't really hurt him.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Is there one of those ever-growing gifs of :stare:?

Because that's what it feels like reading the Channel Awesome doc.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
It's too bad Doug is likely to never even read that document.

Like the only way you're ever going to actually see Doug respond to it is if you make a video super-cut yourself of a text-to-voice program reading various points of the document out loud and then splice in footage of Doug from random reviews shouting and screeching nonsensical words at various volumes.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I hope Channel Awesome goes under.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope it dies, although that likely wouldn't hurt the really bad people running it, who were likely running the whole thing like it was a scam the whole time, complete with Harold Hill-style suitcases full of money by the door and ready to go.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Back when CA started I left highschool, Back then I knew more about HR and running a business JFC. I have an accounting degree and business degree now and even the (honestly much more damming) personal poo poo aside the whole company sounds hilariously mishandled.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

They made a response and it's pretty toothless

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Testekill posted:

They made a response and it's pretty toothless

ppfffttttahaahahahahaha

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
"Maybe, perhaps, it was you all who left who were in the wrong? Ever think of that? We forgive you for feeling that way either way."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"Within the category of 'former producers' we of course include the dozen (?) people who have left in the last two months. We look forward to continuing our relationship with Doug and new producer Ask a Ninja, who of course needs exposure to build an audience."

• Locked thread