Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ping your router and something on the internet (8.8.8.8) and see what drops packets. If the router continues to ping successfully but the internet ping goes down, it's your internet. If both go down then it's your wireless (or the specific client you're pinging from.) You can just do a ping -t and keep an eye on things, or you can use something like PingPlotter (there's a bunch of other similar tools that will do the trick).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Internet Explorer posted:

Ping your router and something on the internet (8.8.8.8) and see what drops packets. If the router continues to ping successfully but the internet ping goes down, it's your internet. If both go down then it's your wireless (or the specific client you're pinging from.) You can just do a ping -t and keep an eye on things, or you can use something like PingPlotter (there's a bunch of other similar tools that will do the trick).

Thanks! This is helpful. So when you say ping your router... like, my router’s IP, correct?

Is there an easy way to ping from my iPhone? (I’m with my kids a lot in the house.)

[Ed] I see pingplotter has an iOS app.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 23, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Feenix posted:

Thanks! This is helpful. So when you say ping your router... like, my router’s IP, correct?

Is there an easy way to ping from my iPhone? (I’m with my kids a lot in the house.)

[Ed] I see pingplotter has an iOS app.

Yes, your router's IP address. Sounds like you're on the right track!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Volguus posted:

Jesus, where do you live? Castle or prison?

More castle than prison. 200+ year old stone house in Scotland.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Steakandchips posted:

More castle than prison. 200+ year old stone house in Scotland.

You can't afford a new house but you're worried about WiFi?

Get your priorities straight :cmon:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Why would I want a new house?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think that was sarcasm.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Internet Explorer posted:

I think that was sarcasm.

Clearly I'm funny as cancer. Spider-Man.gif

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Can someone recommend some cameras for home surveillance?

Ideally they would write to my Synology NAS automatically.

Any suggestions, by anyone? :)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hikvision, (only US versions). Awesome cameras.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

Any suggestions, by anyone? :)

I'd start here -
https://www.synology.com/en-us/compatibility/camera

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there an app I could run on my mac that would log internet downtime? LIke, I get the randomest disconnects, sometimes (often at 2 in the morning) and my only evidence is that I get a notification that both of my nestcams were offline, etc...

Just something that basically logged that the Mac lost connection to the internet, etc... (ideally free, but if it's a stellar app I'd pay a little something... :) )

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Is there an app I could run on my mac that would log internet downtime? LIke, I get the randomest disconnects, sometimes (often at 2 in the morning) and my only evidence is that I get a notification that both of my nestcams were offline, etc...

Just something that basically logged that the Mac lost connection to the internet, etc... (ideally free, but if it's a stellar app I'd pay a little something... :) )

https://www.pingplotter.com/products/free.html

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Oh... thank you! I had that based on recommendation in this thread and I assumed it was for a real-time execution of ping... but I didn’t realize it can just run always? And log?

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

I've gotta say, my Archer C9 seems to be a loving pile of junk that rarely runs without issues.

Laptops frequently connect over wifi, but then take about 5 minutes before having internet access (the same laptops are fine on other networks). Sometimes things struggle to connect to it at all, DNS is slow, wifi range travels about 1 room away and then drops off entirely (in my 3 bed apartment).

To top it off, I just updgraded the firmware to see if this will help, it doesn't, although it is now saying Chrome is an unsupported browser for the setup.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Get a standalone router like a mikrotik.
Get an AP like a unifi.

Never worry about internet at home again.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

OK so mesh systems. The Velop is fuckin' expensive. Eero looks nice but is also super expensive, however the 1st gen is much cheaper...is there much of a difference? I don't need fancy features but do need gigabit ethernet and USB HDD mounting. Upgrading from an AirPort Extreme.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Steakandchips posted:

Get a standalone router like a mikrotik.
Get an AP like a unifi.

Never worry about internet at home again.

Related to this, I'm interesting in buying a Mikrotik hAP AC for a small two story home on a 100/10 plan is this a wise choice?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Anyone here familiar with non-wifi internet radio solutions?

I need to link a location without internet access to a location that does have access, over a distance (several miles) without line-of-sight tricks (like parabolic antennas).

I've been looking into stuff like the IEEE 802.22 standard (Wi-FAR) that uses the "white spaces" (unused channels) in the television (TV) frequency spectrum. The problem is that the maximum bit rate is 19 Mbit/s at a 30 km distance for a single channel, I would like more bandwidth.

Are there other Internet Radio things out there?

Thanks.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
It appears that 900MHz Ethernet Bridges are the way to go (150Mbps). They all are proprietary but they handle obstacles and the hardware exists today.

Now the question is, how do I handle one base station and a few receivers in a mesh network?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Any thoughts on cloudflare's new 1.1.1.1 DNS service? Should I stop giving google my dns data?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

VideoGameVet posted:

without line-of-sight tricks (like parabolic antennas).
what do you mean by this?

Also what region / city/state are you in?

VideoGameVet posted:

It appears that 900MHz Ethernet Bridges are the way to go (150Mbps). They all are proprietary but they handle obstacles and the hardware exists today.

Now the question is, how do I handle one base station and a few receivers in a mesh network?

It's extremely likely you won't be able to use those in any legal fashion. 900Mhz RF in the ISM band is limited to very low transmission power without at least a HAM operator's license.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does it not have internet access because you can’t get service there? Might be a dumb question but it’s possible to spend more doing this link than a second connection will cost.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGameVet posted:

Anyone here familiar with non-wifi internet radio solutions?

I need to link a location without internet access to a location that does have access, over a distance (several miles) without line-of-sight tricks (like parabolic antennas).

I've been looking into stuff like the IEEE 802.22 standard (Wi-FAR) that uses the "white spaces" (unused channels) in the television (TV) frequency spectrum. The problem is that the maximum bit rate is 19 Mbit/s at a 30 km distance for a single channel, I would like more bandwidth.

Are there other Internet Radio things out there?

Thanks.

Mikrotik has 60Ghz point to point antennas. 1Gbps. Over miles though, nope.

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004
I just got a Ubiquti ER 4 with all my devices tunneled through my VPN on my ER4. Since I got the router my Kodi local UPnP share has stopped working. I can ping between devices but I'm thinking I need to add some static routes or open ports. What do I need?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Recently I switched from cable TV to DirecTV Now and suddenly I have to care about QoS again.

I've got a TP-Link Archer C7 that's been trucking along for around two and a half years now, but the factory firmware is pretty feature limited. So my question is, should I bother banging around with third-party firmware? If so, which one should I go with?

Or would I be better off just getting a newer router? I guess if I did that it would be time to buck up and go with an EdgeRouter/UAP or MikroTik, The Wirecutter's current recommendation does have QoS built-in but it's also $180.

I remember back in the day having a Netgear that ran one of the Tomato builds and it was great, super-easy and good QoS, seems like the third-party firmware scene has dried way up though. Which I guess is both good and bad.

EDIT: I have setup Bandwidth Control on the C7 to give the Fire TV a minimum of 30Mbps but it'll still get all blocky, and it doesn't really help if I want to watch TV on something else since it's just straight metering for a device.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 3, 2018

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
TP-Link is a company that mainly outputs devices with the minimum hardware specs to perform the advertised functions. You get the function advertised, but the performance will always have something left to be desired.

Something like an Asus RT-AC68U seems more like something that has the muscle you need to handle what's going on with your internet situation.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Any thoughts on cloudflare's new 1.1.1.1 DNS service? Should I stop giving google my dns data?

I'm scattering what services I use so I don't use google as much. The only article I've seen about cloudflare's DNS is the following.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/03/cloudflare_dns_privacy/

Maybe it's time to try it out, but can we trust it more than google?

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

Devian666 posted:

I'm scattering what services I use so I don't use google as much. The only article I've seen about cloudflare's DNS is the following.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/03/cloudflare_dns_privacy/

Maybe it's time to try it out, but can we trust it more than google?

They're claiming they don't keep resolve logs past 24 hours.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Does it not have internet access because you can’t get service there? Might be a dumb question but it’s possible to spend more doing this link than a second connection will cost.

It's a project I'm working on for a "3rd world" location. One location connected to the Internet via satellite or even fiber talking to several locations a few km away. The idea is to offer low-cost VoIP calling and internet access, would like about 1mbps per user.

Note: 900MHz is used by a lot of devices: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/33-centimeter_band

Some of the equipment I've located.

Ubiquiti AirMax: https://www.ubnt.com/search/?q=airmax&type=products Ubiquiti AirMax

Avalan: https://www.avalan.com/products/900-mhz

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

Also what region / city/state are you in?

It's extremely likely you won't be able to use those in any legal fashion. 900Mhz RF in the ISM band is limited to very low transmission power without at least a HAM operator's license.

Yes, we may have to buy licenses. Same is true for the VHF stuff.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

insularis posted:

They're claiming they don't keep resolve logs past 24 hours.

Also that resolve logs are written to RAMdisk and never to spinning drives.

I updated my pfSense to use Cloudflare with DNS over TLS and it has been just peachy. I was previously using Quad9's 9.9.9.10 server, which also supports DNS over TLS, but I think Cloudflare is faster.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

bobfather posted:

Also that resolve logs are written to RAMdisk and never to spinning drives.

I updated my pfSense to use Cloudflare with DNS over TLS and it has been just peachy. I was previously using Quad9's 9.9.9.10 server, which also supports DNS over TLS, but I think Cloudflare is faster.

Why not just leave unbound at default where it's going to root servers?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

phosdex posted:

Why not just leave unbound at default where it's going to root servers?

Not sure I understand your question.

I am still using Unbound (DNS Resolver), but the pfSense GUI won't accept a DNS server with a port in System->General Setup.

To get around this under DNS Resolver you disable Disable Forwarding Mode and then under custom options input Cloudflare's addresses, 1.0.0.1@853 and 1.1.1.1@853.

Does that answer your question?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Unbound on pfsense by default queries the root dns servers instead of using the dns server you setup in general settings or wherever it is (unless you tell it not too). What I'm trying to determine from your and many other posts about this elsewhere is what am I gaining by switching to a public dns server?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

phosdex posted:

Unbound on pfsense by default queries the root dns servers instead of using the dns server you setup in general settings or wherever it is (unless you tell it not too). What I'm trying to determine from your and many other posts about this elsewhere is what am I gaining by switching to a public dns server?

I believe the primary reasons people are switching to Cloudflare are twofold:

1) It supports DNS over TLS, so your ISP can no longer gather information about sites you visit

2) If Cloudflare is to be believed, they have offered multiple ways they try to preserve your privacy, whether it's by implementing DNS over TLS and DNS over HTTPS, declaring they are not saving logs to hard drives, and declaring they are purging logs on a regular basis

According to a 2017 review, in the US the average mean latency for DNS lookups using root servers was about 24ms. Cloudflare is a lot faster - 7-21ms from a simple ping. I guess switching can save you time also.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bobfather posted:

I believe the primary reasons people are switching to Cloudflare are twofold:

1) It supports DNS over TLS, so your ISP can no longer gather information about sites you visit

2) If Cloudflare is to be believed, they have offered multiple ways they try to preserve your privacy, whether it's by implementing DNS over TLS and DNS over HTTPS, declaring they are not saving logs to hard drives, and declaring they are purging logs on a regular basis

According to a 2017 review, in the US the average mean latency for DNS lookups using root servers was about 24ms. Cloudflare is a lot faster - 7-21ms from a simple ping. I guess switching can save you time also.

Is there any way to configure Windows, Chrome/Edge/Firefox, or most home routers to use DNS over TLS or DNS over HTTPS? From a brief search, I am not seeing anything.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

First google hit was on how to configure edgerouter to use unbound instead of dnsmasq. Unbound sipports DNS over tls so I'm going to try that: https://www.chameth.com/2017/12/17/dns-over-tls-on-edgerouter-lite/

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CrazyLittle posted:

VideoGameVet posted:

without line-of-sight tricks (like parabolic antennas).

What did you mean by "without tricks"? Much of the hardware you listed use parabolic antennas. I mean, it's kind of a requirement for point-to-point wireless radios of any purpose.

VideoGameVet posted:

Yes, we may have to buy licenses. Same is true for the VHF stuff.

Yeah this is the problem I'm alluding to. In the US a lot of the old 900mhz space is being used by metro services radio (such as ambulances etc) so private use is limited in power to prevent interference.

bobfather posted:

Does that answer your question?
I think he means, "Why not skip using a 3rd party DNS forwarding server like google/opendns/cloudflare, and just have your DNS/pfSense ask the internet root servers for DNS answers?" Which is a dumb idea for other reasons but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

I think he means, "Why not skip using a 3rd party DNS forwarding server like google/opendns/cloudflare, and just have your DNS/pfSense ask the internet root servers for DNS answers?" Which is a dumb idea for other reasons but...

Ok, please explain why its dumb. If you're going to visit a website for instance, great you've just hidden the dns lookup request from your isp. Now how are you hiding the http(s) request to actually get that site?