Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Rogue Cunning lets you add 2 boons (and subsequently 2d6 damage if it's an attack) to the same roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lol okay I remember reading the "horrid joining" capstone and thinking it was cool but indeed, those are pretty gross. My rpg experience has been just fine without any dicks falling off.
Don't doxx me, bro

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
The GM's chapter has a pretty cool sidebar about handling the gross stuff in the setting. Tl;dr: talk to your players, set boundries, make sure your players are not too uncomfortable during play, and be ready to end the scene if you know it's gone too far.

Usually I don't really like grossout stuff, but I'm willing to give SotDL a pass because it's up front about it's content and tells you to be responsible when running it.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Elysiume posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to dicks falling off.

Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Shadow of the Demon Lord - Your eyes become poops of darkness

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Yeah, it's not a dealbreaker, if anything it was kinda comical. I was skimming the book with my co-host and, being huge fans of the Book of Vile Darkness specifically because it is so tryhard PG-13 all-caps EDGY when we got to magic it was "oh, well, OF COURSE we need to read the Forbidden spells first." As the discomfort grew she says "well... I mean, they are forbidden."

The pitch of "tonally similar to Dark Souls/Darkest Dungeon" means we weren't turned off so much as a little surprised.

Also, yeah, I'll take poop over gratuitous sexual violence. SotDL has its share of exploding genitals and penis monsters, for sure, but from what I've seen it's steered clear of the whole "rape a virgin as part of the ritual to cast this spell" subgenre of dark fantasy horror.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I appreciate that a lot of the instances of "horrible things happen to your genitals" in SotDL are non-gender-specific. :v:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

FoldableHuman posted:

Also, yeah, I'll take poop over gratuitous sexual violence. SotDL has its share of exploding genitals and penis monsters, for sure, but from what I've seen it's steered clear of the whole "rape a virgin as part of the ritual to cast this spell" subgenre of dark fantasy horror.
Exalted infernals book. Bleurgh.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I appreciate that a lot of the instances of "horrible things happen to your genitals" in SotDL are non-gender-specific. :v:

That's even worse! :ohdear:

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

It's DeMonday y'all. New Poisoned Pages focusing on the effects of corruption including some new marks of darkness.

One of them is dick fingers. :dong:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Is there an easy way to track down all the spells for different paths that are scattered throughout the sourcebooks? putting all the one off poo poo like Maddening Screams for Telepathy in one location would be awesome

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gay Horney posted:

Is there an easy way to track down all the spells for different paths that are scattered throughout the sourcebooks? putting all the one off poo poo like Maddening Screams for Telepathy in one location would be awesome

I mean they keep this pretty well updated- http://schwalbentertainment.com/play-aids/shadow-of-the-demon-lord-reference-tables/, which will let you look at spell name/level/tradition/type across pretty much every official SotDL product

but there's not like a master list of reprinted spell rules (though it's possible the forthcoming Occult Philosophy will get at least partway there)

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Hey, I know relatively little about this game: how easy is it to make the game Not Dark fantasy? I see the Forbidden Rules book has some stuff, but are the mechanics very on the "You are going to get wrecked, son" side of things, or is that relatively easy to adjust for?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Glukeose posted:

One of them is dick fingers. :dong:

See, I just don't know how you play that as horrific and dark when its just funny. Dicks for fingers should be some body horror nonsense but I can't imagine it without laughing. It's almost as absurd as the "every week a child within 10 miles of you sickens and dies." I just don't know how you make that serious in a tabletop context.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Hey, I know relatively little about this game: how easy is it to make the game Not Dark fantasy? I see the Forbidden Rules book has some stuff, but are the mechanics very on the "You are going to get wrecked, son" side of things, or is that relatively easy to adjust for?

In the basic game character start off very weak, but they quickly rise in power and versatility with every level. By the time they hit Expert (level 3), they have tons of tools and tricks they can use to stay alive against pretty long odds. Of course you can offset this by throwing powerful monsters or Tomb of Horrors esque bullshit at them but if you just run the game straight they won't have much to worry about after a few levels. Forbidden Rules can let you jack this up with the Endurance (4e-style healing surges) and Fortune Point (Fate-like bennies) systems.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Serf posted:

In the basic game character start off very weak, but they quickly rise in power and versatility with every level. By the time they hit Expert (level 3), they have tons of tools and tricks they can use to stay alive against pretty long odds. Of course you can offset this by throwing powerful monsters or Tomb of Horrors esque bullshit at them but if you just run the game straight they won't have much to worry about after a few levels. Forbidden Rules can let you jack this up with the Endurance (4e-style healing surges) and Fortune Point (Fate-like bennies) systems.

Demon Lord's Companion 2 also has optional "Group Themes" that give reasons a party might stick together and grant fairly potent themed mechanical benefits (often similar to Fortune Points, but some are passive), which the group can swap around at each tier

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Gharbad the Weak posted:

If you just cut the corruption/insanity stuff and maybe skip level 0, you’re mostly mechanically set and the rest is the gm establishing the tone and skipping the random tables.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

rumble in the bunghole posted:

If you just cut the corruption/insanity stuff and maybe skip level 0, you’re mostly mechanically set and the rest is the gm establishing the tone and skipping the random tables.

and it's worth pointing out that this is very easy to do- like 95% of the stuff people object to comes from random tables associated with the corruption mechanic (which isn't necessary for game balance or anything), demons, the nastier types of fae (devils, etc.), or a single magical tradition (out of ~40), which is basically the "horror movie spells an evil witch uses to deliver ironic punishments to the villagers who antagonized them" school (and which can be easily excised, since nothing about the game requires either players or NPCs to use the "instant-dysentary" or "Cronenbergification ray" spells if that's not the tone you're going for)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Keep in mind there's a bunch of ancestries and paths that rely on Insanity as a mechanic, so you'll probably need to figure out how to houserule them if you straight up get rid of it.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

I circumvent "insanity" by simply calling it "stress." It isn't unreasonable to say that adventuring, even not strictly dark fantasy adventuring, can tire out PCs. Plus, heroes being pushed to their breaking point is something that even happens in the coloful world of superhero comics, so it doesn't necessitate a grim tone.

Just introduce mechanical penalties or narrative elements which are suitable for your game's tone and you can keep the insanity and corruption stuff mostly intact.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Glukeose posted:

I circumvent "insanity" by simply calling it "stress." It isn't unreasonable to say that adventuring, even not strictly dark fantasy adventuring, can tire out PCs. Plus, heroes being pushed to their breaking point is something that even happens in the coloful world of superhero comics, so it doesn't necessitate a grim tone.

Just introduce mechanical penalties or narrative elements which are suitable for your game's tone and you can keep the insanity and corruption stuff mostly intact.

That works, though you'd also need to make insanity tests "fear tests" instead, and rewrite the quirk and madness lists.

Also, I don't think corruption is incompatible with a more heroic tone - just ignore the marks of darkness entirely and keep corruption as evil points that are gained via doing evil things.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I removed Insanity as a mechanic but kept the underpinnings of the Frightening and Horrifying traits. I just reflavored them as Intimidating and Awesome, so that you still get the mechanical effects from dealing with especially powerful foes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Serf posted:

I removed Insanity as a mechanic but kept the underpinnings of the Frightening and Horrifying traits. I just reflavored them as Intimidating and Awesome, so that you still get the mechanical effects from dealing with especially powerful foes.

Yeah, but that doesn't solve the issue of stuff like the orc ancestry or berserker path interacting with insanity points/madness specifically, hence the stress suggestion.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Serf posted:

Did you remove it as a balance thing, or as a flavor thing?

e: Also why does SotDL measure everything in yards. What the heck

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 4, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

nothing says dark fantasy like imperial units

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I haven't read it myself, but there is Godless.

quote:

Drown in Fire and Blood!
After the Cataclysm sundered our world, reducing cities to ruins and bringing nations to their knees, a new threat unfurled its wings to cast a shadow upon our reality. In this spreading gloom caper demons, warped creatures, and horrifying monsters, all of which tear down what’s left of the world in preparation for the coming of their dark master, the dreaded Demon Lord.

Godless is a new setting expansion for Shadow of the Demon Lord, giving you all the tools you need to transform our own planet into the World of Fire and Blood. This book contains:

Guidance for using Shadow’s ancestries in this new setting, plus a new take on the clockwork: the transcendent!
More interesting things, training elements for novice paths, and strange new religions
New expert paths such as the preacher and road warrior
An assortment of spells useful for surviving in such a bleak setting
New weapons, armor, gear, and vehicles
New rules for building items from salvage, using automatic weapons, and handling desperate battles fought from speeding vehicles
Extensive advice for transforming our planet into your very own World of Fire and Blood
New relics such as the Boomstick and new creatures such as the steel skeleton and the unseen
With Godless, you have everything you need to adapt Shadow of the Demon Lord for play in a post-apocalyptic environment, letting the players create characters who scavenge the landscape for parts, food, and fuel, while fighting off hideous mutants, invaders from other realities, and, of course, demons. With this book, you’ll be able to explore a brand new world in the grip of the dreaded Demon Lord!

http://schwalbentertainment.com/shadow-of-the-demon-lord/sourcebooks/

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't solve the issue of stuff like the orc ancestry or berserker path interacting with insanity points/madness specifically, hence the stress suggestion.

I made my own orc, so that's why I didn't think about that aspect. Totally forgot about the berserker path, I'll work on something for that.

Elysiume posted:

Did you remove it as a balance thing, or as a flavor thing?

Flavor. Insanity and whatnot isn't something I'm really into as part of a fantasy game. I can totally run it that way, but I'm always going to veer more towards comedy than seriousness in that sense. But I kept the mechanics of it as it applies to monsters because the effects of Frightening and Horrifying are important for the math. I then rolled Insanity and Fortune into a single system that all PCs interact with that lets them push themselves at a risk of overextending and damaging the world around them. It was inspired by how magic works in Dark Sun.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

Agreed, obviously should be metres.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hollandia posted:

Agreed, obviously should be metres.

1 yard = 0.914 metres so at least you can switch them in your game with no changes.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Imperial for fantasy, metric for sci-fi.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Imperial for fantasy, metric for sci-fi.

Cause the imperial system is backwards, and antiquated and the only way any modern nation using it can be believable is if its some magical fantasy setting.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Same reason it doesn't have power blocks or keywords. :v:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Same reason it doesn't have power blocks or keywords. :v:
Power blocks? Are those 4e?

It just seems sort of needlessly different. A size 1 creature takes up a 3x3' space and has a reach of 3', with maps drawn on 3x3' squares, so it's functionally identical to having things measured in 5' increments. Just seems kind of odd. I feel similarly about rounds taking 10s instead of 6s--I'm really used to some things that have become standard in mainline PF/D&D, and having things be slightly different is jarring.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 4, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Boom stick :stwoon:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I really wish there was a good character management tool for this.

I had to sit down with a spreadsheet the other day to help my two Warrior players figure out how many boons they had to their normal attacks, and how many +d6 damage they got.

I know it's a relatively simple game, but when you have talents in three different classes and the character sheet is terrible, that's where we are.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Yeah, it's alright for level 0, but gets less useful the more levels you gain. To be fair, that's an issue with most character sheets I've found. And warriors are arguably the easiest Path for this, by the time you hit Expert most spellcasters are running out of space for their spells.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Elysiume posted:

Power blocks? Are those 4e?

It just seems sort of needlessly different. A size 1 creature takes up a 3x3' space and has a reach of 3', with maps drawn on 3x3' squares, so it's functionally identical to having things measured in 5' increments. Just seems kind of odd. I feel similarly about rounds taking 10s instead of 6s--I'm really used to some things that have become standard in mainline PF/D&D, and having things be slightly different is jarring.

... What? The point is that a distance of 1 represents one grid tile. You get to skip the step where you arbitrarily multiply/divide by 5 to convert from a distance to a number of grid times. It's a quite welcome change and it makes d&d look a little silly for sticking to 5 feet. You've made up the part where you convert it to feet - treat it more like the arbitrary unit of distance that represents one grid space than the actual imperial distances.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

... What? The point is that a distance of 1 represents one grid tile. You get to skip the step where you arbitrarily multiply/divide by 5 to convert from a distance to a number of grid times. It's a quite welcome change and it makes d&d look a little silly for sticking to 5 feet. You've made up the part where you convert it to feet - treat it more like the arbitrary unit of distance that represents one grid space than the actual imperial distances.
I don't dig it because it makes my maps way too big. Effectively, each square on a 5' grid becomes 2x2 on a 1 yard grid. (Yeah I know, not precisely but practically.)

And the characters' move speeds further emphasize this difference.

Serf
May 5, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

I don't dig it because it makes my maps way too big. Effectively, each square on a 5' grid becomes 2x2 on a 1 yard grid. (Yeah I know, not precisely but practically.)

I had been running Strike for years when I started running SotDL and when drawing a map for one of the published adventures one of my players informed me that the bar I had drawn for this isolated forest tavern was about 60 feet long.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by a 5' grid - why not make it a 1 yard grid instead so each square is a game tile? There's still something I'm missing - where does a 5' square come up that you need to express it as 2x2? There's no universe where increments of 5 are simpler to express than increments of 1. (Why are you assuming 1 yard is 3 feet anyway? These are fantasy yards they can be as long as you want, just say they're 5 feet if you're stressing out over some pre-printed grid paper.) The in-game unit is still 1/tile, that's the important thing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 4, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I imagine the game scales quite nicely to 1 yard being 25 feet (giant campaign) or 1 yard being 1 inch (honey I shrunk the demon lord).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

I don't think I've ever measured something in yards. Anything that's described as being in yards I'm automatically converting to feet in my head, because feet is a unit of measurement that I use. It's not a mechanical issue, I understand that a yard is mechanically equivalent to 5' in other games; it's a conceptual and map-size issue where nobody in my group is accustomed to thinking in yards* and the grids we have are going to be 40% smaller. Making a yard 5' then messes up the included maps by making everything in them 66% bigger. I'm not saying it's a gamebreaker or anything, it's just not high on my list of things I like about SotDL. My group will adjust to it fine.

*: except for the one of us that uses metric