Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

TheChirurgeon posted:

True. But I hate the Rangers a lot

The ship has been righted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Gerrit Cole is filthy. How did we get him for pennies on the dollar?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Kirios posted:

Gerrit Cole is filthy. How did we get him for pennies on the dollar?

Pirates.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That penny had a name and now he’s stuck in hell Pittsburgh

RIP joe musgrove’s hopes and dreams

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
This just in: gently caress the Rangers

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Our team looks absolutely stacked this year. My honest expectations is 100 wins this year and I don't think it's that unrealistic.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kirios posted:

Our team looks absolutely stacked this year. My honest expectations is 100 wins this year and I don't think it's that unrealistic.

Well the team won 102 last year and added Cole and gets an extra four months of Verlander so...

Also McCullers isn't spending the first half of the year on the DL *knocks on every piece of wood*

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think another 100-win season is dependent on how good the Angels are. Keep in mind the Astros went 12-7 against Trout, Pujols, and Literally Just Them.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

12-7 isn't that great against what the Angels were rolling out there last season, especially since Trout missed half the season

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm saying the Angels could be BETTER this year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I get that, but even if they are it isn't beyond reason for the Astros to do better than 12-7 against them given the still wide gulf in talent between the teams

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I honestly do think 100 wins is a totally reasonable prediction and that kind of scares me :eyepop:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I have two SRO tickets for tomorrow that I can't use - will sell them @ face + fees. We bought them directly from the Astros. Let me know if someone wants them.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Guys, this team is real good

ComposerGuy posted:

This just in: gently caress the Rangers

:yeah:

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
A question my brother, dad and I discussed a bit during the holiday game yesterday: Let's say Verlander keeps being really good and eventually gets voted into the HoF. If the Astros win a second WS while he's on the roster, does he go in as a Tiger or an Astro?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

ComposerGuy posted:

A question my brother, dad and I discussed a bit during the holiday game yesterday: Let's say Verlander keeps being really good and eventually gets voted into the HoF. If the Astros win a second WS while he's on the roster, does he go in as a Tiger or an Astro?

It's up to the Hall as to which Hat they get, but they seem to mostly respect the player's wishes as to which hat to wear if they are still around when inducted. If not it's usually the team that the player had the biggest impact on. Personally I'd think it would take a Cy Young and another WS win for Verlander to go in as an Astro, mostly because he spent a lot of very dominant years in Detroit.

Comedy Answer: https://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/24/1586171/baseball-hall-of-fame-which-hat-cap-plaque-wear

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

100% he goes in as a Tiger even if he throws a perfect game in game 7 of the WS as an Astro

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If he keeps this up for the Astros for another 3-4 years I could see them retiring his number out of respect, but he'll never go into the HoF as an Astro.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Justin Verlander would have to get 5 Cy Youngs and 3 more rings and play for us for like 8 more seasons, and he'd have to have some public falling out with Detroit before it'd even be a consideration that he goes in with any other cap.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
We are raising an actual honest to god World Series banner and it still doesn't quite feel real

e: lmaoooooooooo the ropes broke and some guy had to climb up there and help remove the covering with one of those long branch trimmer things

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 3, 2018

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

We are raising an actual honest to god World Series banner and it still doesn't quite feel real

e: lmaoooooooooo the ropes broke and some guy had to climb up there and help remove the covering with garden shears

perfect in every way

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

e: lmaoooooooooo the ropes broke and some guy had to climb up there and help remove the covering with one of those long branch trimmer things

Lol nice. Defines us in every way.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I know you guys kinda poo-poo'd it earlier in the year but I still feel that Fisher is the long term answer at LF.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Goddamn McCann is tearing it up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

ComposerGuy posted:

Goddamn McCann is tearing it up.

Mah boi has inherited all the beefy lad power Schwarber lost

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I don't see how the Astros don't win the AL West this year.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kirios posted:

It would literally take a catastrophic series of DL stints, an act of god, or Ohtani & Trout singlehandedly carrying the Angels and breaking every hitting record ever made.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kirios posted:

I am extremely here for this

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Kirios posted:

NO STOP DON'T

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
This is how underdogs turn hated but gently caress if I care; I'm prepared to lean in to being the villain

On the one hand it is definitely a bit early to be crowning ourselves division champions, but we did win the division by 21 games last year. No team came close to improving that much even if you count on a full MVP season from Trout and Ohtani being good, and the Astros didn't exactly lose a ton of production either (and added Gerrit Cole).

Still you can never predict injuries and the like. Hopefully Correa's isn't going to turn in to anything serious.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

This is how underdogs turn hated but gently caress if I care; I'm prepared to lean in to being the villain

On the one hand it is definitely a bit early to be crowning ourselves division champions, but we did win the division by 21 games last year. No team came close to improving that much even if you count on a full MVP season from Trout and Ohtani being good, and the Astros didn't exactly lose a ton of production either (and added Gerrit Cole).

Still you can never predict injuries and the like. Hopefully Correa's isn't going to turn in to anything serious.

I get the feeling his injury is minor and they’re just going to play it safe while the season is early and having him out for 10 or so won’t hurt us that bad.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
:siren: Attention remaining Astros fans - who else still wants an avatar? :siren:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I get the feeling his injury is minor and they’re just going to play it safe while the season is early and having him out for 10 or so won’t hurt us that bad.

FWIW he's back in tonight, I hope it's not a bad idea :shobon:

https://twitter.com/JuliaMorales/status/981286388644528128

Posture Pal
Nov 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/astros/status/981319116438073344

That raised side panel with the skyline is :discourse:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Correa inside the park home run!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kirios posted:

Correa inside the park home run!

Reddick Grand Slam!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Astros are...good?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Correa inside the parker was amazing to see in person, first I thought the ball was going to clear the fence then seeing whoever the O's CF is slowly chase after it as it bounced away :lol:

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Keuchel looks lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Our defense really not helping him out though

• Locked thread