Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
I at my old job I used to have to boot up a Windows emulator on my Mac just to run IE so I could access our internal apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

No joke: our danish public healthcare-system runs on IE6 or something goofy like that. All documentation-, booking- etc-systems are build on top of IE. Luckily it works, but no one wants to tackle upgrading it to a newer system.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I work for Microsoft now so I unfortunately have to use edge and bing at work

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Pondex posted:

No joke: our danish public healthcare-system runs on IE6 or something goofy like that. All documentation-, booking- etc-systems are build on top of IE. Luckily it works, but no one wants to tackle upgrading it to a newer system.

Public what-what?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Andrast posted:

I work for Microsoft now so I unfortunately have to use edge and bing at work

Luckily, Bing can help you Edge.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

:dadjoke:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

SystemLogoff posted:

Oh no, IE will still be there.

Too many crappy-rear end applications rely on it and it's terrible code.

I just had to help someone set up a bank login in twenty loving eighteen that still required not only Internet Explorer but installation of two different pieces of software :cripes:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

Public what-what?

Well son, I didn't want you to find out like this but uuhh...

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

The Merkinman posted:

They should make IE only able to browse individually white-listed URLs that the IT department manages.

They can with proxy/pac settings, but whitelists need to be a lot more prevalent everywhere including for things like email/sms for parents too

E: whoops, new page

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Tiggum posted:

For some reason it's the default search engine for when I type into the address bar of the browser on my phone and I haven't bothered to change it.

Somewhat related, I'm using an ancient hand-me-down iPad, and it defaults to capitalizing the word Apple (like so!). For most people, this would be a trivial at best nuisance, but I moonlight in making Apple butter. You can see why this might be frustrating, back spacing and editing all the time.

I'm not a fan of Apple to begin with, so this is a pretty dumb marketing move. I can't wait to use my Apple butter sales to buy a non-Apple tablet.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Somewhat related, I'm using an ancient hand-me-down iPad, and it defaults to capitalizing the word Apple (like so!). For most people, this would be a trivial at best nuisance, but I moonlight in making Apple butter. You can see why this might be frustrating, back spacing and editing all the time.

I'm not a fan of Apple to begin with, so this is a pretty dumb marketing move. I can't wait to use my Apple butter sales to buy a non-Apple tablet.

Apple butter is nice. My great-aunt used to make pumpkin which was also nice.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Woah woah woah. You make apple butter AND hot sauce? Now I really regret not being able to hang out with you during my hellweek in Virginia :v:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

ExplodingSims posted:

Woah woah woah. You make apple butter AND hot sauce? Now I really regret not being able to hang out with you during my hellweek in Virginia :v:

Aww! Yeah, I used to have a SAmart thread here for fruit butters and hot sauces (I can dig up the link if you like), but it fell by the wayside when I moved, got a new job, and got too busy. Then winter rolled around, and both apples and peppers were out of season, and I try to get my stuff from local farmers whenever possible. But I should be back in operation soon.

Send me your new addy, and I'll send you some.

PYF Smart Marketing Moves : Just be nice

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Merkinman posted:

They should make IE only able to browse individually white-listed URLs that the IT department manages.

The whitelist consisting of a single link; The download page for Chrome.

Maybe a second link for Firefox if they’re feeling froggy.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm scared to remember that way back in the day, IE was the superior browser, if only because it was free to upgrade. Netscape wasn't free.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I bought both Opera AND Quicktime.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Panera's been leaking customer information via publicly-accessible HTTP for 8 months now.

How they're responding to it is an example of how not to do things:

https://medium.com/@djhoulihan/no-panera-bread-doesnt-take-security-seriously-bf078027f815
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/04/panerabread-com-leaks-millions-of-customer-records/

Also an example of how not to do things: Their head of information security, who promised 8 months ago that they were working on a resolution (as if, you know, just not posting that stuff openly to the web takes a lot of doing), used to be the senior director of security operations at Equifax. My favorite part is where he doesn't understand how PGP works.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
In the mid-2000s I worked for a major construction company whose main cost accounting program was still in DOS.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I bought quicktime because I could use it to render flash videos from newgrounds into mp4 files to put on an ipod video

Also opera, because opera kicked rear end

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bobby Digital posted:

In the mid-2000s I worked for a major construction company whose main cost accounting program was still in DOS.

Circa-2004, UPS was still running their road equipment (trucks, trailers, etc) tracking software on OS/2. It wouldn’t surprise me a bit if they STILL were.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bobby Digital posted:

Many days I miss DOS

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Krispy Wafer posted:

:same: Used Quicktime to convert videos on my PC to be played on my gf/now wifes old mac.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Add New Shortcut....

Add a shortcut for "apple" and make the replacement word "apple" as well and you should be good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Last Chance posted:

Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Add New Shortcut....

Add a shortcut for "apple" and make the replacement word "apple" as well and you should be good.

That sounds like more work than turning off the overzealous iOS auto correct. Thing is a goddamned nightmare to work with and just one more reason I regret getting an iPad.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Just trying to help..

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

The Bloop posted:

Many days I miss DOS

In 2016 I worked in a bank and the mortgages were in a DOS program.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I have to use a DOS program at work sometimes and I love it. It's super responsive and once you know the keyboard shortcuts you can rocket through stuff.

God knows what new, young employees make of it though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A Polish autoshop still uses a c
Commodore 64 to do business.

I want that monitor.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

In 2016 I worked in a bank and the mortgages were in a DOS program.
I currently work at a FI and we just moved from the 1982 release of our banking system to the 1996 version. I don't think there's a newer version.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Antioch posted:

I currently work at a FI and we just moved from the 1982 release of our banking system to the 1996 version. I don't think there's a newer version.

code:
* Removed references to the Soviet Union.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I have to use a DOS program at work sometimes and I love it. It's super responsive and once you know the keyboard shortcuts you can rocket through stuff.

God knows what new, young employees make of it though.

Our DOS program locked up if you keyed through the screens too fast.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know Bing is straight up better if you're looking for :files: because they don't get as many DMCA notices.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Antioch posted:

Banks were one of the first industries to move to computers, so that means there's lot of old systems still in use. At my first bank job in the mid-1990's had a specialized POS-style system with a tiny 5 inch monochrome monitor. It was like something out of Brazil. All banking transactions were backed up locally to 8 inch floppies. The next bank was using a system that required Windows 3.11. At one point we got brand new computers that you'd initially boot into Windows 2k or 3.11 (after that you were stuck on that OS forever). So many computers...running so much Windows 3.11.

The software was all keyboard based. Just tabbing that TAB button all over the place. The thing is, it was also rock solid and never crashed or slowed down because it was using 5% of the CPU capabilities. If you had a memory leak you probably wouldn't notice it for 6 months.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

SystemLogoff posted:

Oh no, IE will still be there.

Too many crappy-rear end applications rely on it and it's terrible code.

Years ago, when I was working in IT, the company I worked for started asking for all sorts of software solutions for complicated, time-consuming tasks. I ended up learning PHP, JavaScript and SQL to give them what they needed. It all only works in IE8. At the time, as a total novice, it made complete sense to me: it was an intranet, all the computers were XP with IE8, it was on a Windows domain and IE lets you automatically authenticate against Active Directory and no other browser does, meaning everyone automatically had their own database permissions if you use MS SQL etc. so it took out a lot of the hassle.

There's loads of really badly written JavaScript I cobbled together (since I didn't entirely know what I was doing) which flat out doesn't work in IE11/Edge, but they're absolutely reliant on so many things I made that the business literally cannot function without it. So they occasionally pay me ~$80/hr to fix broken JavaScript so that it works in IE11/Edge, because that's a lot cheaper than paying someone to recreate it all from scratch. IE will never die so long as businesses are unwilling to invest in new software to replace the thing that 'works', but only on completely obsolete platforms. Which is forever, until the end of time.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Opera still kicks rear end, ok its not necessarily the fastest but having a free unlimited version of NORDVPN built in to the browser is amazing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NonzeroCircle posted:

Opera still kicks rear end, ok its not necessarily the fastest but having a free unlimited version of NORDVPN built in to the browser is amazing.

I thought being super fast and lightweight was operas thing.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Ticketmaster's internal point-of-sale system still runs on VAX and it's all command-line :toot:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Gaius Marius posted:

Opera’s thing is doing loving everything ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Used to be.