Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kurtofan posted:

is there a story that goes with the sets in this game

As Alpha mentioned, there's no big overarching story, but as RDT mentioned, there's the huge three part Duel Terminal storyline spread over several releases and a great deal of sets.

There's also the Dracoslayer/Dracoverlord storyline, which ran for eight sets over the past several years, and the World Legacy storyline, which has ran for four sets so far and looks to be continuing into a fifth (and will probably will go to at least eight) sets.

Then you have individual storylines, like the rivalry of the alchemy shop girls, the corruption and redemption of Gigobyte, the recurring battles between Warrior Lady of the Wasteland and Warrior Dai Grepher (and their eventually journey into the Different Dimension and the fall of Warrior Dai Grepher), the epic of the Noble Knights, Dante's journey through the Burning Abyss...

There's quite a lot of storylines running through individual runs of cards, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Nothing has flavour text anymore which I miss.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Only having flavour text on cards that do literally nothing is one of Yu-Gi-Oh!'s biggest failings tbh.

Of course, these days even when they do print a normal monster its flavour text is worthless. (At least in English, check the translation of the Japanese text to get mad about what they turned it into).

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Charles Bukowski posted:

Nothing has flavour text anymore which I miss.

They still print normal monsters, which still have flavor text.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Dexie posted:

They still print normal monsters, which still have flavor text.

Most decks won't run normal monsters so they might as well not exist. Magic cards have effects and still manage to have neat flavour text.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They also have a lot more space to do so since they keyword and icon their poo poo.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 3, 2018

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

They also have a lot more space to do so since they keyword and icon their poo poo.

And they use slightly bigger cards.

Or rather, YGO uses slightly smaller cards than everyone else.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New List

http://www.yugioh-card.com/uk/gameplay/detail.php?id=1155

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can see the reasoning for most of the changes but I can't understand Rank-Up-Magic Argent Chaos Force. Someone explain this to me, please.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can see the reasoning for most of the changes but I can't understand Rank-Up-Magic Argent Chaos Force. Someone explain this to me, please.

Apparently pendulum magicians can abuse it to do a little quick and super easy Utopic Zexal turbo. Notice how Astrograph got hit too.

In other news Ancient Fairy Dragon got hit to line up with the OCG.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Apparently pendulum magicians can abuse it to do a little quick and super easy Utopic Zexal turbo. Notice how Astrograph got hit too.

Yep. Also I'm assuming Chain Strike got limited because of the New Timelords, and Konami not wanting to risk a burn deck winning a WCQ.

Overall a pretty decent list, even if i could nitpick bits and pieces of it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Pendulum Magician first turn Utopic ZEXAL lockdown.

Overlay two Chronograph Sorcerers into Beatrice, Lady of the Eternal, dump Argent Chaos to the grave, rank Beatrice up into Gaia Charger. Argent Chaos returns to hand, and you can proceed to lock your opponent down with Utopic ZEXAL.

I had honestly forgotten about this combo until the discord reminded me about it earlier, which is sad, because I watched the drat livestream where this was pulled off in a YCS finals match!

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

hey uhhhh noble knights are in duel links and they seem pretty good. so if you want NK to be meta, now's the time to enjoy that

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Hjalmar posted:

hey uhhhh noble knights are in duel links and they seem pretty good. so if you want NK to be meta, now's the time to enjoy that

I built a halfassed noble deck in duel links and it is pretty fun but in no way competitive. Went ham on the app and have been enjoying it, however I have to say that the propensity for certain decks to just crush in PvP is a challenge for me there (as every card game).

Like, if my opponent drops a single monster face down and ends their opening turn I know it's going to be a Sylvan deck and my eyes just roll back into my head. It's not like they're unstoppable, but goddamn do I find it boring to play against a deck like that.

I did manage a turn one win in the WCS qualifiers. Buddy must have had a garbage opening hand, I dropped a draining shield, then discarded to summon the tricky and tributed for a great maju garzett for a single swing ender. I'm not very good at card games

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I built a halfassed noble deck in duel links and it is pretty fun but in no way competitive.

Depends on the build. If you use the entire card pool at your disposal and tech some cards like Cyclones and Scolding they can deal with all the meta decks.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Depends on the build. If you use the entire card pool at your disposal and tech some cards like Cyclones and Scolding they can deal with all the meta decks.

Oh, I agree. I like to keep DL decks to 20 cards so it's a bit of a challenge, but grinding out some packs for cards like draining shield and wall of disruption have helped. Even cards like Xing Zhen Hu Replica have helped lock the board down.

I'm less used to building a technical deck and more towards damage racing, so it's been a challenge learning to keep up with PvP.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Oh, I agree. I like to keep DL decks to 20 cards so it's a bit of a challenge, but grinding out some packs for cards like draining shield and wall of disruption have helped. Even cards like Xing Zhen Hu Replica have helped lock the board down.

I'm less used to building a technical deck and more towards damage racing, so it's been a challenge learning to keep up with PvP.

Generally you want to keep you decks to 20 cards anyways, for much the same reason you stick as close to the 40 card minimum in the actual game

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I'm planning on building some sort of max size Bujin deck using Grass is Greener and Restart to boost consistency. Seems like it could be real fun.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Hjalmar posted:

I'm planning on building some sort of max size Bujin deck using Grass is Greener and Restart to boost consistency. Seems like it could be real fun.

I hope you play in an OCG area, 'cuz Grass just got banhammered this last list in the TCG.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

It's at 3 in Duel Links.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I really like how they handle the banlist in Duel Links.

You're allowed one Limited card, and two Semi-Limited. The Semi-Limited can be two copies of the same card or one copy of two different ones.

That plus the judicious decision making as to which cards get in made me quite enjoy duel links while I played it.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

https://ygorganization.com/soulfusionofthenobleknights/

Noble Knights aren't just getting a couple new support cards, but a whole new line. Between this and the insane Thunder Dragon archetype coming out in that set, it looks like this is going to be an interesting meta.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hjalmar posted:

https://ygorganization.com/soulfusionofthenobleknights/

Noble Knights aren't just getting a couple new support cards, but a whole new line. Between this and the insane Thunder Dragon archetype coming out in that set, it looks like this is going to be an interesting meta.

HOLY poo poo

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.facebook.com/ygorganization/photos/a.197085227127380.1073741829.161102004059036/1016548721847689/?type=3&theater

Firts Cryptid monster is a 3000 ATK Bigfoot that destroys a monster when is discarded.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=8757

Better pictures of the new "Danger!" archetype.

This is right up there with Fur Hires as an archetype that's going to be hilarious to talk about out loud.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Whoever gave me this Avatar, I assume you're in this subforum and I want to thank you.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/ygorganization/status/1015626863769804801
https://twitter.com/ygorganization/status/1015668520821186565

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

finally some new lightsworns

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hjalmar posted:

finally some new lightsworns

Me and DT both are going to send you to the Shadow Realm for that. :argh:

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

buddy i've been in the shadow realm since 2003 don't @ me

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Peredur is back

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And so is Medraut

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.facebook.com/YuGiOhTCGEU/photos/a.624974477644694.1073741831.616190488523093/1269401323202003/?type=3

I want their effects now Konami. :(

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

here they are

https://ygorganization.com/itsonlyamodel/

those level 4 monsters are really good, damb

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

They’re pretty drat solid.

Hopefully their SOFU support is just as good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hey, Yugi gets to appear in the new Shonen Jump crossover game with Dark Magician. That hasn't happened since, what, Jump Ultimate Stars?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbKERVwqr0o

Also that new Or...Orph...that new machine archetype looks like a lot of fun even if I won't ever be able to spell its name. Send monsters to the graveyard, banish them to special summon, then the Link monsters take care of the banished ones, it's a neat synergy.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Orphegel are really nifty, yeah. They seemed kind of mechanically disappointing when they were first revealed, but the spells seem like they might tie things together - I haven't had a chance to give them a proper go. Even if they do turn out weak, the art and lore implications make me love them anyway.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Duel Links has really become a shitshow recently.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Justin_Brett posted:

Duel Links has really become a shitshow recently.

Yea, introducing furs with no limits on any of their cards was definitely a mistake. Literally everyone on ranked is using them and it turns into a coinflip-esque game of who drew floodtrap/chalice fur counter on the first turn, Cyclone/Trunade on the second turn, and then OTK with fur swarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
I sold my (worlds-qualifying) duel links account like the day paleozoics and masked heroes dropped and have had absolutely no regrets