Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

You must be real fun at parties.

And 'just following orders' does not absolve people of war crimes, so what's your point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

chiasaur11 posted:

You must be real fun at parties.

All those parties where people casually discuss the ethics of war, right?

gently caress off with this lazy catchphrase bullshit

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I can't even enjoy this burger around you people

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xarbala posted:

I can't even enjoy this burger around you people

You need some more salt. Unfortunately we can't just turn the ship around to get some more.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

And 'just following orders' does not absolve people of war crimes, so what's your point?

You don't see the problem with your worldview, do you?

If war crimes are an inevitable product of war, if there's no concept of "righteous" conduct within the context, then there's no point to highlighting war crimes. Your attempts to convict the guilty destroy the possibility of innocence, and therefore the entire framework you depend on to judge.

If a "just" war can exist, even theoretically, then an unjust war has grounds for complaint. But in this context there's no difference between a Steiner Hardy killing uniformed combatants in an attempt to save innocent lives and a Gihren conducting mass scale genocide, because you've eliminated the idea of "less bad" at the jump.

You think you're providing some noble and enlightened position by declaring all war equally invalid, but instead you provide justification for monstrous action and no protection for action that, in other frameworks, is seen as tragic but righteous.

You're right I shouldn't have been casually dismissive, though. Sorry about that.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 3, 2018

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does Zeon apologia extend beyond Japan? Because pretty much everyone in this thread, myself included, gets a rather strong reaction to the more "Zeon wasn't so bad" series in the franchise.

visit the gundam subreddit sometime

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

visit the gundam subreddit sometime

Yeah, there's bits of it every now and again, usually "I'm not saying Zeon was right, but..." across the internet, but there's one guy there who is just ridiculously pro-Gihren.

Not even pro Zeon, shame about the colony drops, but "Boy, double Hitler is great!"

It's weird.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The hell are you talking about? What it sounds like you're trying to say is that because the end goal is killing the bad guys doing the bad thing, that justifies everything else? Has there ever been a conflict that anyone has ever been involved in that hasn't had an ulterior motive that didn't at least undercut the stated goal, if not work against it?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's been quite a while since I watched 0080 but just off the top of my head, they don't completely play the Zeon squad as good guys in a bad war. They may have their regular dude aspects but they're also special forces. They're relatable and it doesn't really pretend they're spotless but there's this undercurrent that they're not 'just' average joe soldiers in a bad war.

It's definitely on the softer end of it though, where it's easier to pretend that a group of people weren't awful because those aspects aren't immediately obvious.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argas posted:

It's been quite a while since I watched 0080 but just off the top of my head, they don't completely play the Zeon squad as good guys in a bad war. They may have their regular dude aspects but they're also special forces. They're relatable and it doesn't really pretend they're spotless but there's this undercurrent that they're not 'just' average joe soldiers in a bad war.

It's definitely on the softer end of it though, where it's easier to pretend that a group of people weren't awful because those aspects aren't immediately obvious.

There's some variation. Garcia's portrayed as much more trigger happy than the rest of the crew, with the scene where he wants to kill the cop investigating Al's story, while Hardy's trying to keep things under control, and Bernie's a rookie with no real idea what war actually entails.

(Really, all three of the leads are pretty inexperienced. Chris has rank, but until the Kampfer fight she's just been test piloting.)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, which kinda ties into why that aspect feels so weird to me.

It's trying to pull the rug out from under the viewer at the end, but someone threw out the rug earlier. It's an episode of Columbo where they expect you to be shocked by the reveal of the killer.

i don't think that was pulling the rug out from under the viewer (that moment's at latest more when darryl starts talking about how awesome getting to fight in his giant robot is while he's battling with io to the death), it's more sealing any ambiguity on the point (Thunderbolt Is Not Subtle): Darryl is just as bad as Io, and if you had any remaining doubts about it, darryl's own speechless shock at the realization should be confirmation enough. you could argue that darryl was fighting for his friends or didn't revel in the fighting the same way io did, but ultimately darryl's a dude who became a quadriplegic exclusively for the purpose of murdering more people better. but no one has ever actually pointed out to him how hosed up it is that he's messed up in the head because one of his buddies died, shortly after him and that same buddy slaughtered dozens of feddie troops. and that's the moment when io finally tells him "i hope you don't think you came out of this looking like the good guy, scrub"

it shouldn't be news to the viewer, but it's news to darryl

ANAmal.net posted:

Gotta be honest, I haven't seen Thunderbolt, and while I want to watch it for the animation quality and the OYW setting and the overall bleakness, I keep getting put off by how much of a horrible piece of poo poo Io sounds like, and the fact that he ostensibly "wins" (I realize that Thunderbolt deliberately isn't that clear cut) keeps turning me off. I'm already dealing with the tail end of IBO, I don't know if I can handle another shithead winning out at the end of a Gundam series, even if the Zeon guys are even worse.

I guess this is me throwing in on the 0080 pile, over Thunderbolt. 0080 owns.

man io loses. (or it's arguably a draw) he just gets out of being chained, naked, and beaten to a pulp off camera, and then his side wins the war off camera, so he doesn't die i guess? that's winning, in a sense.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 3, 2018

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Thanks for the opinions, guys. Based on the discussion, I’ll definitely check out War in the Pocket, and Thunderbolt sounds like it’ll be an interesting watch even if I don’t end up loving it. MS Igloo on the other hand, sounds awful so I’ll skip it unless I’m really bored or something.

Started my UC watch-through with the first movie of the MSG trilogy. It moved a lot faster than I remembered and the reveal of Char loving over Garma and laughing maniacally over it is absolutely hilarious.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does Zeon apologia extend beyond Japan? Because pretty much everyone in this thread, myself included, gets a rather strong reaction to the more "Zeon wasn't so bad" series in the franchise.
Other than the novelty of an independence movement being portrayed as the bad guys, I've always thought Zeon was comprehensible but never "good." The notes of their ideology are weird but the pattern is recognizable.

I figure a whole shitload of the Zeon love and hate and complication is because Zeon seems to really clearly be imperial Japan and it isn't like Japanese history prior to 1930 was erased from existence.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

nemesis_hub posted:

Thanks for the opinions, guys. Based on the discussion, I’ll definitely check out War in the Pocket, and Thunderbolt sounds like it’ll be an interesting watch even if I don’t end up loving it. MS Igloo on the other hand, sounds awful so I’ll skip it unless I’m really bored or something.

Started my UC watch-through with the first movie of the MSG trilogy. It moved a lot faster than I remembered and the reveal of Char loving over Garma and laughing maniacally over it is absolutely hilarious.

The best part about Thunderbolt is that December Sky is an hour long so it doesn't overstay its welcome regardless of whether you love it or hate it, so anyone can find time to watch it and form their own opinion.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

First episode of GB Divers wasn't too bad. Not quite as steeped in fan service as GBF but there were still a great number of cameos and a few peeks at some of the player characters and their suits.

They really go in on the whole online game angle protagonist gets trolled into his first PvP battle by a noob hunter.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I had a quick flick through one of the Thunderbolt manga in Travelling Man the other day and the way the Komusai attack on the Spartan starts out is hilariously different. In the animation, the kamikaze soldiers are saluted by their commanding officer and told they are among the elite of Zeon. But in the manga, their CO is unironically like 'FINALLY, SOMETHING YOU CRIPPLES ARE ACTUALLY USEFUL FOR. HERE IS A SALAMI AND CHEESE SANDWICH, NOW OFF YOU GO.' Are the rest of the books like that?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

You don't see the problem with your worldview, do you?

If war crimes are an inevitable product of war, if there's no concept of "righteous" conduct within the context, then there's no point to highlighting war crimes. Your attempts to convict the guilty destroy the possibility of innocence, and therefore the entire framework you depend on to judge.

If a "just" war can exist, even theoretically, then an unjust war has grounds for complaint. But in this context there's no difference between a Steiner Hardy killing uniformed combatants in an attempt to save innocent lives and a Gihren conducting mass scale genocide, because you've eliminated the idea of "less bad" at the jump.

You think you're providing some noble and enlightened position by declaring all war equally invalid, but instead you provide justification for monstrous action and no protection for action that, in other frameworks, is seen as tragic but righteous.

You're right I shouldn't have been casually dismissive, though. Sorry about that.

Why does ‘all war is morally abrasive’ contradict the idea that war crimes can be varying degrees of horrifying? All crimes are unethical, but we look more harshly on the dude who rapemurders his entire family than the one who snatches a wallet.

Seriously, you’re jumping to some weird conclusions about a relatively uncontroversial statement here - the moral compromises demanded by war and their effect on the soul show up in pretty much every soldier’s memoirs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Why does ‘all war is morally abrasive’ contradict the idea that war crimes can be varying degrees of horrifying? All crimes are unethical, but we look more harshly on the dude who rapemurders his entire family than the one who snatches a wallet.

Seriously, you’re jumping to some weird conclusions about a relatively uncontroversial statement here - the moral compromises demanded by war and their effect on the soul show up in pretty much every soldier’s memoirs.

Looking back, you're probably right. I'm being a bit of a dumbass. Sorry, Aces.

At least Build Divers starts tomorrow to provide a distraction from me running my keyboard off in a stupid direction.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
First stop of Build Divers is up on Gundaminfo, sorry but I can't seem to get my phone to give me the link.

Edit: got it https://youtu.be/hq7j_l6_lCs

DIVE DIVE DIVE

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So are we not having a separate Build Divers thread?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raxivace posted:

So are we not having a separate Build Divers thread?

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world.
I'm not willing to take the dive though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'm not doing an OP on my phone.

Just on the intro now:

Seems possible we will see continuity from GBF but not sure. Will definitely see IBO suits.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I will say that I’m looking forward to Magee throwing down, because all signs indicate that he will wreck face spectacularly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, since we were chatting about Thunderbolt, I should bring up this neat video about its soundtrack again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kv2hCZHbn4

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I will say that I’m looking forward to Magee throwing down, because all signs indicate that he will wreck face spectacularly.

He's a stated high level player and they've not revealed his suit yet, should be something special.

I like them depicting literal trolls with horns.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
screencaps of the mission types

Gundam Build Divers: LET'S BUILD A SOLAR RAY

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I like Dramatic Mission and whatever that Master Asia’s 1000 Person thing is.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ManSedan posted:

I like Dramatic Mission and whatever that Master Asia’s 1000 Person thing is.

kumite. TL note: kumite means fight

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gundam portraying individual soldiers as sympathetic is something that goes all the way back to 0079, where entire eps are dedicated to rando zeon soldiers being decent guys (and the opposite for rando feds).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
If we don't see a Quiz Mission in the show, I'm going to be so disappointed.

Say, is that Patrick?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Patrick what are you doing here.

Where is Kati, you need her to keep your poo poo in check, even in gunpla fights.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

is it 1000 people fighting master asia or 1 person fighting 1000 master asia's

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I can never not see this and here it being barked by Jason Mantzoukas.

https://youtu.be/ZSttqtFOiDs

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Caphi posted:

If we don't see a Quiz Mission in the show, I'm going to be so disappointed.

We'll get if after the obligatory bikini beach mission.

Seeing as how they seem to be going all in on the online game tropes I think we might actually get to see a wide range of mission types and challenges which at the very least is a welcome switch up from the previous series' stricter tournament setups.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One gripe I do have is that the 00 Diver looks too powerful for the underdog newbie suit it is. I feel that our protagonist’s first machine should be a little more basic and crappy.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Give me more random bullshit like gunpla baseball and not just the same 3 v 3 tournament over and over please.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Darth Walrus posted:

One gripe I do have is that the 00 Diver looks too powerful for the underdog newbie suit it is. I feel that our protagonist’s first machine should be a little more basic and crappy.

It should be an HG Zaku II from 1985.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

they figured making you think about 00 s2 whenever you see it was crappy enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

they figured making you think about 00 s2 whenever you see it was crappy enough

I could buy that if the ultra-cool, super-badass champion suit wasn’t from AGE.