Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The one puzzle that comes to mind is where you're in a hub and you pick up an axe and jump on a boost panel which launches you into a puzzle room holding the axe. It never crossed my mind you could hold an axe at all in this bloodless, first-person puzzle game. It's frustrating in any puzzle game if you hit a roadblock, and you wonder what is the ingenious solution to this problem, only to realise you were short a puzzle-piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The one puzzle that comes to mind is where you're in a hub and you pick up an axe and jump on a boost panel which launches you into a puzzle room holding the axe. It never crossed my mind you could hold an axe at all in this bloodless, first-person puzzle game. It's frustrating in any puzzle game if you hit a roadblock, and you wonder what is the ingenious solution to this problem, only to realise you were short a puzzle-piece.

I'm pretty sure that's a star puzzle though, isn't it? Those are meant to be extra challenges and a lot of them rely on accessing objects from outside the puzzle boundaries and/or forcing you to get creative with the skills you've been taught (and are some of the best puzzles in the game imo.) I can't remember any boundary breaking puzzles that are necessary to beat the game, but it's been a while since I played through the base game.

Put me down as another person who likes the recorder puzzles - they're incredibly satisfying when you get them right. Mines on the other hand can be really annoying, I definitely had a few deaths that felt a bit unfair.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Shadow of the Colossus is one of the best games ever made, but playing the recent remake reminds me that it pulled that poo poo a few times.

The most egregious is the first little one that's afraid of fire. Despite it not being a mechanic until now, you have to somehow figure out that "equipping" your bare hands lets you pick up a new object, so you can grab a torch and scare it away.

Also ridiculous is the sandworm, the key to which is shooting it in its eyes, despite the fact that you could shoot every colossus up to that point in the eyes and have the same useless result as if you shot them anywhere else. In the remaster at least, it has larger and more ornate eyes than the previous colossi. I don't remember if this was originally the case.

For something dragging down a more recent game, I kind of hate that Farcry 5 lets you put a silencer on drat near anything. What purpose does having a bow serve when I can silence my sniper rifle, or better yet slap a silencer and scope on a light machine gun so I now have a perfect all-purpose weapon equally capable of both stealthily clearing out an outpost and shooting down an attack plane? I thought it was funny at first, but literally the only reason to use anything else is to fill out challenges for perk points.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
But can you put a silencer on the bow?

This is important.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

SkeletonHero posted:

For something dragging down a more recent game, I kind of hate that Farcry 5 lets you put a silencer on drat near anything. What purpose does having a bow serve when I can silence my sniper rifle, or better yet slap a silencer and scope on a light machine gun so I now have a perfect all-purpose weapon equally capable of both stealthily clearing out an outpost and shooting down an attack plane? I thought it was funny at first, but literally the only reason to use anything else is to fill out challenges for perk points.

The weapon balance in FC5 is kind of a mess from the start. The first rifle you get is good enough for the entire game. Its easy to find the sniper version really early as well. You can get a SMG to replace the pistol rightaway, which makes attacking from cars easy.
There are two handed SMGs, but why you would carry them is a mystery since a rifle does the work better. Shotguns are alright, but you start with a good one unlocked from the start, and it takes awhile to unlock the double barrel version.

Only reason I'm using the bow is that I've gone through FC3 and 4 using the bow, and I'm sticking to it.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

CitizenKain posted:

The weapon balance in FC5 is kind of a mess from the start. The first rifle you get is good enough for the entire game. Its easy to find the sniper version really early as well. You can get a SMG to replace the pistol rightaway, which makes attacking from cars easy.
There are two handed SMGs, but why you would carry them is a mystery since a rifle does the work better. Shotguns are alright, but you start with a good one unlocked from the start, and it takes awhile to unlock the double barrel version.

Only reason I'm using the bow is that I've gone through FC3 and 4 using the bow, and I'm sticking to it.

The weapon situation is just baffling, to the point that I don't even understand how it's possible to mess things up so badly. Like, the primary-slot SMGs are, in order of unlocking:
- An MP5 which is a downgrade from the assault rifle you get in the tutorial intro
- An MP40 which is a downgrade from the MP5 in every way
- A silenced MP5 that is otherwise identical. (You can attach a silencer to the regular MP5.)

It's like making a Doom game and accidentally placing the shotgun halfway through the game, after you already have the super shotgun and rocket launcher. Except this should be even easier to fix because they're just unlocks in a menu!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Werong Bustope posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a star puzzle though, isn't it? Those are meant to be extra challenges and a lot of them rely on accessing objects from outside the puzzle boundaries and/or forcing you to get creative with the skills you've been taught (and are some of the best puzzles in the game imo.) I can't remember any boundary breaking puzzles that are necessary to beat the game, but it's been a while since I played through the base game.

It's not a star puzzle, but part of one of the grey tetronimo worlds unlocked by stars, which means you should definitely be familiar with outside the box thinking and/or awkward bonus puzzles by then. The third main hub also has an axe just sitting there for you to use to bust open the portals to the sacred gardens, so even that's established. That said, I do remember now what you needed the axe for and the actual solution is kinda lame.

There's a much earlier normal puzzle that's a better example, where at that point in the game there's no way to know that you can place boxes on mines.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

There's a much earlier normal puzzle that's a better example, where at that point in the game there's no way to know that you can place boxes on mines.

That's literally the first thing I tried when I had both of them in the same place. Why wouldn't you?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think this is less of a thing dragging the game down and more of a missed opportunity. Mafia III has a ballin' soundtrack, which you can only listen to while you're in a car, as it's 1968. But right at the start of the revenge quest, your CIA buddy gives you a portable radio so you can call any of your associates at any time, anywhere, to send you a car or an ammo truck or whatever, so why not throw in a portable music player too? Just say it's secret government tech, who cares, just let me listen to those tunes all the time

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Triarii posted:

The weapon situation is just baffling, to the point that I don't even understand how it's possible to mess things up so badly. Like, the primary-slot SMGs are, in order of unlocking:
- An MP5 which is a downgrade from the assault rifle you get in the tutorial intro
- An MP40 which is a downgrade from the MP5 in every way
- A silenced MP5 that is otherwise identical. (You can attach a silencer to the regular MP5.)

It's like making a Doom game and accidentally placing the shotgun halfway through the game, after you already have the super shotgun and rocket launcher. Except this should be even easier to fix because they're just unlocks in a menu!

Only the sniper rifle progression kinda makes sense, and even then it starts off wrong. The first weapon is the basic assault rifle, but with a scope and single shot firing. The next is a basic bolt action rifle. Then there is a bolt action (I assume) .50 cal rifle, then a semi-auto .50. That at least kinda makes sense.
Then the regular rifle progression: starter assault rifle, the next unlock is a lever action .45/70, the next is a M14. Then its another .45/70 and M14, but they look different? Then an AK.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

That's literally the first thing I tried when I had both of them in the same place. Why wouldn't you?

It's all subtle stuff that just comes together poorly. Overly-analytical design whining incoming:
  • The entire point of the puzzle is to show you that mines aren't always your enemy, something that goes against every previous puzzle where mines are often a pain in the rear end and need to be dealt with or carefully avoided, so it's already working uphill.
  • The area is drab and under-detailed, with no additional visual hints or eyecatches. Maybe this was intended to make the solution dirt simple - use item on thing - but again, previous puzzles have usually been about mapping out the problem and experimenting with your options so the previously unused verb "place box on mine" is likely to be pretty low on the list if not ignored entirely when there's other stuff to experiment with first.
  • On that note, the puzzle area is terribly designed in general, requiring you to climb the ladder and run all the way to the other end to see what the actual final problem is (just a button that needs to be held down). The long distance also interferes with easily reading the relationship between the mine and the turret at a glance. IE, even if you knew what to do with the box, you might mistakenly think the turret still has overwatch at the end of the mine's path while you're stuck with only one disruptor.
  • Similarly, previous puzzles have featured mines running into turrets resulting in both being destroyed, but it never happens here solely because the mine stops short.
  • The snap-to preview for placing a box on a mine only appears if you look slightly upwards (because mines are large and hovering at about chest height) and get pretty close besides, making the entire function easy to overlook. Particularly when the game has endlessly trained you to pick things up and then put them down on floor buttons.
  • It's also genuinely pretty rare for a video game character to be smart/strong enough to lift things over their head. :v:
As further evidence of the puzzle's design failings, it has a dead simple exploit in it - never bother with the mine at all, place the disruptor on the box next to the ladder, climb the ladder and pick up the disruptor. Done. That's how I solved it the first time before digging up how it was supposed to be done on Youtube.

It also feels unnecessary, since I'm pretty sure the next time you're required to put a box on a mine all you get is a box, mines patrolling back and forth between some platforms, and the platforms put them right at your feet. To me that seems a lot more intuitive.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I know it's not exactly the game's fault, but it's still kinda ridiculous that in Dragon Ball FighterZ you can't make an entire team of female characters, but you can make an entire team of Gokus.

DLC can probably fix that, and I hope it does, but it's still ridiculous.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Chiming in about Far Cry 5.

This is my first FC game. I think I tried the very first one years ago because oooooh shiny new engine! look how pretty! But I was starting to get out of FPSes at the time so didn't get far.

Agreeing that the writing is bad. Bad bad bad. Having a literal omniscient enemy who can capture you any time they want no matter what you're doing and where you are with no way to avoid it completely obviates the rest of the plot. Initially this made me super mad. Now that I have decided it's dumb and I'm just gonna run around and do dumb poo poo in this dumb game, I am having much more fun.

I am surprised there hasn't been the proverbial Day One patch yet. There really needs to be. It's janky as gently caress. Weirdass physics glitches seem to be par for the course. Respawns after dying are like a lottery (in that I have had the game respawn me during an airplane mission OUTSIDE the plane, in midair, for example), and NPC scripts are downright broken in places.

I could ignore almost ALL of that if the Quality of Life was better but:

- the Take and Loot buttons being shared. Yes, game - I want to dump my upgraded, silenced sniper rife for a lovely starter pistol. Oh and don't merely DROP my current weapon, instead fling it forward a few feet so the prompt to pick it back up is shuffled under 2 other bodies with their weapons. Oh and please do this near the edge of a cliff so my sniper rifle falls off and I can't get it back. No - I wasn't trying to just go through that guy's pockets for ammo - why do you ask?

- getting into vehicles: Yes, FC5 - don't be fooled by the fact that I am traveling completely by myself. I actually *do* want to sit on the back seat of that Quad. Just for funsies while no one is driving it. Or finally - a game for me, in which I can experience the THRILL of sitting in the back seat of a helicopter while it's sitting on the ground, not even running.

- "you saved me! thanks!" "sure thing, buddy!" *gets in my car, drives off* "oh..."

- more of a 'nice to have' but - being able to save a loadout would be nice - which I could then switch to at a Gun shop. Sometimes I wanna roll with Peaches and Jess in stealth mode, sometimes I wanna roll with Hurk and Cheeseburger in Shock and Awe mode.

So yeah - it's dumb, but at least it's fun dumb. Plus I have a bear named CHEESEBURGER. That comes very close to making up for EVERYTHING.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

As further evidence of the puzzle's design failings, it has a dead simple exploit in it - never bother with the mine at all, place the disruptor on the box next to the ladder, climb the ladder and pick up the disruptor. Done. That's how I solved it the first time before digging up how it was supposed to be done on Youtube.

It also feels unnecessary, since I'm pretty sure the next time you're required to put a box on a mine all you get is a box, mines patrolling back and forth between some platforms, and the platforms put them right at your feet. To me that seems a lot more intuitive.

Huh. I don't think I ever solved that one by putting a box on a mine, I just used the disruptor onna box trick and assumed that's how you were meant to do it (given that that's a mechanic that gets a lot of play later.) I always assumed the platforms one was the first time that mechanic came into play, and felt that was a good introduction. That actually explains a lot, I've never understood why people complain about the box/mine thing because the first time I did it was in the platforms one, which was pretty intuitive.

small ghost has a new favorite as of 13:09 on Apr 3, 2018

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Farcry 5 has something called Arcade mode, which is basically user-created maps with simple objectives (kill all enemies, kill certain enemies, etc). It sucks. They all suck. I have yet to find a map that wasn't terrible, except one created by Ubisoft themselves (and even then...). Sometimes you find maps that can't be beaten at all, or have a hundred enemies scattered around a huge map only made of hills. It's all just so terrible.

Also, they have a PvP mode, with deathmatch, team deathmatch and all that. These also use user-created maps. They are also terrible. I have no idea why Ubisoft thought this was a good idea, or even why they should even have a multiplayer mode that no one is going to give a poo poo about.

Oh also the co-op campaign mode can only be played with friends, not allowing you to connect with random people online and helping them before leaving, which is something I really liked doing in FC4. None of my friends have this game, so I guess I'll never be seeing the campaign in co-op mode.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The game has been out for one week, of course all the slapped together Arcade mode scenarios are going to be terrible before people figure out how to use the tools effectively.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yakuza Kiwami

The Majima Everywhere system is neat in theory, but I wish it would just give you a swath of Dragon Style abilities if you've beaten him in enough fights. I've beaten the story and I'm in chapter 6 of new game plus and I still haven't seen Zombie Majima beyond the first fight where he showed up like that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

exquisite tea posted:

The game has been out for one week, of course all the slapped together Arcade mode scenarios are going to be terrible before people figure out how to use the tools effectively.

"learning to use the tools effectively" is a map that's not particularly interesting, or gimmick maps where you just run over a hundred enemies.

I played a map that had two or three cabins hovering two feet above a hilly terrain, clipping through parts of the ground, with random burnt vehicles halfway into the ground scattered around, no textures on the terrain, and a single enemy located somewhere that I could not find. It was terrible.

Oh and also if you don't finish a map, either by dying or by completing the objective, you don't get any arcade points which, when you rank up, gives you perk points to use in the main game. So while playing a map that had two-hundred and sixteen enemies randomly spawn and run at you like the shittiest version of Serious Sam in a terrible map, I realized that the final enemy, the very final one, had spawned outside the walled-in boundaries they give you and could not be killed, meaning I had just wasted something like 15-20 minutes of my time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I have seen some pretty neat maps on youtube, so I know they can be made well, but there is definitely going to be a lot of crap to sift through. They are leaning heavily on players rating their experience with maps to essentially vote down garbage.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You definitely get points for dying.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I think arcade mode is cool as gently caress and I'm glad there's a way to play essentially infinite outposts. The game has literally been out for a week, people will get better at making levels and better levels will start getting sifted to the top by ratings.

e: also I think some of the Ubisoft-created levels are cool, there was one I did where you just wander through a house and it fucks with the perspective and gets all surreal, it was really neat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dear FromSoftware,

Poison lakes are not a cool or good thing, please stop putting your personal fetish in every goddamned game.

Sincerely,
Len

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I don't have the game, but some of these sound interesting, and, of course, people will probably cook up something nice in some months. I mean, look what they do with Bethesda games.

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/980958112604721152

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SkeletonHero posted:

Shadow of the Colossus is one of the best games ever made, but playing the recent remake reminds me that it pulled that poo poo a few times.

The most egregious is the first little one that's afraid of fire. Despite it not being a mechanic until now, you have to somehow figure out that "equipping" your bare hands lets you pick up a new object, so you can grab a torch and scare it away.

I’m pretty sure you can just hit the climb button to pick up the torch, there’s no need to put your sword or bow away first. I admit though I can’t recall any point in the game before then where you have to pick something up like that, so it’s definitely a little weird. You can go after fruit and lizards but the game doesn’t really tell you about those unless you start doing time attack in NG+.

quote:

Also ridiculous is the sandworm, the key to which is shooting it in its eyes, despite the fact that you could shoot every colossus up to that point in the eyes and have the same useless result as if you shot them anywhere else. In the remaster at least, it has larger and more ornate eyes than the previous colossi. I don't remember if this was originally the case.

At that point the eyes are the only part of it that shows at any time, and it chases you while you’re on the horse, so the only option you have is to shoot it.

That said, my own downfall in the remake was the big horse colossus, which was a huge pain in my butt trying to kite him around with the bow until I remembered that colossi can hear you whistling for the horse. I remembered this on my third time through. :v:

SotC really isn’t much for explaining itself or reminding you of your options, that’s for sure.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SotC barely explaining how to play the game is imho one of the aspects that contribute to its brilliance, although that approach is admittedly not going to appeal to everyone. The Dormin hints kind of spell out how to kill the colossi if you’re really stumped.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Could someone who's played the Assassin's Creed games after Black Flag tell me something: are the Assassins still supposed to be good guys? In the first game, the Templars were fairly obviously baddies. The Altair plot had you killing assorted slavers, traitors, etc, while in the future, Desmond had been kidnapped and held against his will. Second game, Templars murder half of Ezio's family and try to kill the other half. Meanwhile in the future, Desmond is escaping from the people who kidnapped him and finding out what the gently caress is going on. Didn't play 3. Black flag, the Assassins are siding with pirates while the Templars are trying to end piracy without additional bloodshed. In the future, the Assassins are blackmailing an innocent man into doing their dirty work. Have they actually turned the story into a "there's no black or white, just shades of grey" thing, or is it just terrible writing?

Sunswipe has a new favorite as of 22:58 on Apr 3, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They're still generally supposed to be ~the good guys~ but Black Flag was the "lol gently caress this faction stuff" AC game. That and I dunno if they already had it in the plans while making Black Flag, but spin-off and also pretty good game Rogue is about Shay, an assassin becoming disillusioned with the guys of that time and becoming a templar, so they might not have gone as whole hog on templars being evil for that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I really like My Time At Portia; it's really fun, but it's a little bit too bright and lacking contrast.

I'm not at the PC to screenshot it, but the darkest anything gets is a middle grey, like there's a haze over everything and it kinda bothers my eyes a little.

The game is a chill and happy game, so I'm not asking for it to be all grimdark like those folks who kvetched about Diablo 3, but kee-rist being in an underground cave should have some lack of light.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Sunswipe posted:

Have they actually turned the story into a "there's no black or white, just shades of grey" thing, or is it just terrible writing?

Both. In Black Flag, Edward doesn't give a poo poo about the Assassins for 99% of the game, in Rogue the Assassins are incredibly stupid and Shay changes sides, I didn't play Unity, and I posted a bit about Syndicate in this subforum, how Jacob essentially destroys the UK in a different way in every single Sequence and Evie has to rebuild it again.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
So I beat Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.

Jesus the last 1/3 of this game is a total clusterfuck. The first 32ish missions in the game weave an overall coherent plot that culminates in you fighting the big bad and a giant Metal Gear, and then you get credits and End of Chapter 1.

Chapter 2 repeats at least 10 mission from chapter 1 with harder modifers, and keeps the same cutscenes and everything. Even worse, these missions are played out of of order with no bits of consistency. There's maybe 4 real new missions with a continuted plotline. The last actual plot-intensive mission in the game is a repeat of the prologue with 2 different cutscenes interspersed in over 40 minutes of cutscenes. Then the game ends with an out-of-nowhere twist that is nearly impossible to predict, and several enormous dangling plot threads that are never addressed or resolved again (Eli and Rex......!).

I loved the game for how truly amazingly it played, which is always my most important consideration for any game, but if I was a plot-focused guy, I think the end to this game would retroactively make the entire game worse.

I mean they clearly ran out of time and money, which I had heard going in, but I didn't think it would be this bad, or obvious.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Olaf The Stout posted:

So I beat Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.

Jesus the last 1/3 of this game is a total clusterfuck. The first 32ish missions in the game weave an overall coherent plot that culminates in you fighting the big bad and a giant Metal Gear, and then you get credits and End of Chapter 1.

Chapter 2 repeats at least 10 mission from chapter 1 with harder modifers, and keeps the same cutscenes and everything. Even worse, these missions are played out of of order with no bits of consistency. There's maybe 4 real new missions with a continuted plotline. The last actual plot-intensive mission in the game is a repeat of the prologue with 2 different cutscenes interspersed in over 40 minutes of cutscenes. Then the game ends with an out-of-nowhere twist that is nearly impossible to predict, and several enormous dangling plot threads that are never addressed or resolved again (Eli and Rex......!).

I loved the game for how truly amazingly it played, which is always my most important consideration for any game, but if I was a plot-focused guy, I think the end to this game would retroactively make the entire game worse.

I mean they clearly ran out of time and money, which I had heard going in, but I didn't think it would be this bad, or obvious.
It definitely has the weakest story of the MGS series. I think it's okay on its own, but the previous games set a pretty high standard for storytelling.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A game that long didn't need those repeat missions, just the one cut-mission. Also I think they went a bit overboard with all the stuff you can develop. I didn't think there were ten kinds of assault rifles, but there you go.

I don't think the story in V is one you can fix. It's exposition-heavy and extremely straight-forward. Most of the characters barely communicate with one another.

The gender-politics in V is really backwards compared to previous titles. Previous games had Naomi, Meryl, Mei Ling, Para-Medic, Eva, The Boss. Here you just have Quiet, who is completely optional and never speaks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I don't think the story in V is one you can fix. It's exposition-heavy and extremely straight-forward. Most of the characters barely communicate with one another.

Really the exposition being delivered in cassette tapes was uh... Some people say its because Kojima "listened" to the community about the length of cutscenes but I mean... Its Kojima. Do you think he would actually do that? I'm sure the real reason for it was Konami put their foot down and cutscenes weren't made for the exposition to save money.

If nothing else though, for my LP of it it helped me hide the fact I am awful at off the cuff commentary and just interspersed the cassette tapes in the missions to cover up dead air :v:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Olaf The Stout posted:

It's more Konami are poo poo and had KojiPro just slapdash the end together with what they had before shipping it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The gender-politics in V is really backwards compared to previous titles. Previous games had Naomi, Meryl, Mei Ling, Para-Medic, Eva, The Boss. Here you just have Quiet, who is completely optional and never speaks.

This is still the leading problem I have with FFXV, as an aside. Final Fantasy has been low-key fantastic at female representation ever since it started having characters at all (and hell, even FFI parties likely have a female character, judging by the graphics for White Mage in the remakes), just the main numbered games have two or three female protagonists depending on how you count it and all of them have had at least one kickass female party member, usually more.

...and then FFXV rolls around and it's a total sausagefest of a player party, with only one temporary guest lady party member. And the most visible lady in the game by far is Cindy, who I would legitimately prefer having Quiet over, although it really is a toss-up.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

That's pretty much the main reason I have no interest in FFXV.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The adventures of cute boys + hunky guy is good though.

Cindy is junk though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Lunafreya also being on a road trip with two cute girls + hunky lady would make it 1000% better tho.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Would be cool to have a girl group road trip on top of the boy band one. Luna, Cindy, Iris and Aranaea. Make it happen, Squenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
We already got that in FFX-2!