Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ransome
Dec 27, 2012

Cosmic, Baby!

highme posted:

Can anybody point me in the direction of where I'm supposed to get this beta build, is it just going to be the normal test server? I haven't been able to suss out any actual links to the game so far, and yes I know it's another 80 minutes or so from being live.

https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/980808410605277190

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

highme posted:

Can anybody point me in the direction of where I'm supposed to get this beta build, is it just going to be the normal test server? I haven't been able to suss out any actual links to the game so far, and yes I know it's another 80 minutes or so from being live.

When you sign up for the beta you get a code. Go to steam and type that code in and then you can download the Closed Experimental Server.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Thanks folks, completely spaced the whole "Activate a product on Steam" process.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Here is me winning my first Solo FPP game. I don't care what anybody says, I am excited.

https://clips.twitch.tv/TentativeSaltyBoarMrDestructoid

I've won a bunch of duo/squad games, but not a solo since FPP was released

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Here's me playing the new map- it looks pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXG-8tEUMIk

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rex-Goliath posted:

That last shot though.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Alright now that I'm actually in I'm really liking this map

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

map is good. cars everywhere too

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Alright I've played a few matches now and just got to top 3 so I need to take some time to calm down a bit before jumping back in so here's my thoughts so far:
  • I really hope they leave all these buildings mostly empty as they are now. Not having random stuff to trip over or distract you is nice.
  • It's not AS easy to drive as Erangel but it's not outright impossible like Miramar. There's so much foliage and moving terrain that you really can't floor it that often because there's so much more foliage. Adding to that:
  • Vehicles seem way more dangerous now in a good way. The higher density of the map plus so much cover means it's way easier for people to stalk you if you use one- and because the map is so much smaller you don't really need to use them. It felt like I often had the choice to use a vehicle but chose not to because it wasn't worth the risk.
  • The denser foliage is a real nice addition. Snipers will have much smaller windows of opportunity here which will be a nice balance between them and ARs.
  • Also all the additional cover is nice as well. I felt like each of my engagements were a constant set of moves/maneuvers instead of playing peakaboo over a hill. Might just be because everyone is new to this map but it seems to reward aggressive pushing and getting into your enemies face.
  • The smaller map plays out pretty nicely as the first circle is basically the same size but the decreased timers work well. It feels like as soon as you touch the ground the early game fighting is about just as intense as before, the mid game is WAY more intense, and the final circle is about the same. With there being so much cover over so much less distance as soon as people hear gunshots everyone moves in on your position. One of the games was basically non-stop action for almost half the game as people kept jumping into the fray.
  • Dunno if they plan on changing the loot tables but it felt like it was really easy to gear up every game I've played. I hope they leave it as it is.

So yeah- everyone grab a key if you can and try this because this is exactly what PUBG should have been all this time, imo. The key is the faster-paced mid-game is at just the right spot where the game is just under 'non-stop' action. Barely enough time to catch your breath and come up with a plan before you have to make your next move. I really like it so far.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

aw man did i really miss the first wave of keys

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
I don't think there are limited keys through the steam/Pubg thing.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
So you can't play the new map in 3rd person?!?!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

So you can't play the new map in 3rd person?!?!

good, imho

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Don't like the loot table - every single person is just running around with an m4.

It's cool they let us play the map, but the corners they cut to do the test is hilarious. They should be checking things like whether all of the buildings are connected to the ground and not have the most basic of map brushes in as building placeholders. It just looks so god drat amateurish.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah some of the buildings straight-up not having textures is pretty funny.

Oh one more thing: if you're up in the mountain DO NOT TRY TO SCALE DOWN THE SIDE! YOU WILL DIE!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The map is good, really good. I think they need to add a little ambient sound back in, right now its too easy to camp and have godlike hearing. The lack of furniture sucks, I don't think they need to to be obstructive like it often is in Mirimar, but you need some stuff that makes it harder to shoot out certain windows and have a little bit of cover ind oors.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Evilreaver posted:

In general, a person who downed and not revivable due to enemy presence is a 'hostage'. You don't kill a hostage until they've killed one of yours, since having the living person there (almost certainly screaming "I'm bleeding out! :supaburn: to his team) is a huge distraction to the enemy: now they're under pressure to try to save their friend in a set time, so they more often take risks and rush, and never retreat or escape.

Also, this "honor" is fairly often reciprocated and can let you save 'doomed' teammates just by killing the enemy squad, which you were going to do anyway. Just tell your friends to shut up about bleeding out.

People mocked this post and so did I, but my group decided to give it a try and it actually works pretty well. Maybe it's not as good in squad, but people in duos really, really don't wanna let their friend die and they'll make stupid decisions when they think there might be a chance to help them out. Finish their friend off instead and you turn them into a guy with a vendetta and no survival instinct, who'll do anything to mess up your game.

This is some Sun Tzu poo poo, I'm telling ya.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004
Speed up the first and second circle a bit and this is pretty perfect. I hope they don't reduce the loot on production -- it helps reduce the tedium and randomness of early game looting. If this ends up getting popular, chunking off randomized 4x4 sections of the other two maps with would help with variety while maintaining small map feel.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The new map is obviously in alpha, but its a clear upgrade and progress from the mistakes of miramar. They seemed to really address a lot of the criticism. I suspect the increased AR loot is just for the test, but I'd love it if you could loot a couple of buildings and be in really good fighting shape.

You can tell how with some polish it'll be a badass map.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

KingNastidon posted:

If this ends up getting popular, chunking off randomized 4x4 sections of the other two maps with would help with variety while maintaining small map feel.

I don't know about that. The other maps have way too much empty space and not that many drop points, they would turn into a clusterfuck if everyone was forced to drop in the same 3-4 spots.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I didn't play the new map, but I watched some streamers. Are they planning to replace the death cam with the Spectate-your-killer mode? I didn't see any announcement for that. Maybe they're just testing the waters.
Seems like it would help reduce server load since someone who is spectating should take less resources than someone who is actively playing ...

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Elman posted:

I don't know about that. The other maps have way too much empty space and not that many drop points, they would turn into a clusterfuck if everyone was forced to drop in the same 3-4 spots.

That's totally fair -- you could definitely end up with horrible random zones with 60 people dropping on one town. But you could start with dense areas like Los Leones and Georgopol and pull other existing assets closer without creating an entirely new map.

Hopefully the excitement and overall positive reaction of the new map despite lack of polish will signal the community doesn't really care about things being perfect as long as there's variety and it's not absolutely broken. Games like DOTA and CS:GO can't really mess with the mechanics too much because consistency/balance is a lot more critical to the experience. But in something like PUBG why not boost molotov damage by 3x for a week and see what happens? POISON SMOKES? What percentage of the population is going to get angry and quit vs. find the change a bit interesting for a week?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

^^
People already hate Bluehole for their management of this game. Doing random poo poo to the mechanics isn't the way to win them back over.

Elman posted:

People mocked this post and so did I, but my group decided to give it a try and it actually works pretty well. Maybe it's not as good in squad, but people in duos really, really don't wanna let their friend die and they'll make stupid decisions when they think there might be a chance to help them out. Finish their friend off instead and you turn them into a guy with a vendetta and no survival instinct, who'll do anything to mess up your game.

This is some Sun Tzu poo poo, I'm telling ya.

We try and go for the kill if they're far away to stop endless ressurect battles but leave alive at close range when we have the advantage.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also they literally just introduced an event mode for silly new mechanics to live in

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
I'm probably the only person who has this complaint but as someone who has about 350 hours in this game my biggest complaint has been circle pacing for the end game and this map takes pretty much everything I hate about that mechanic and cranks it up to 11.

I only played 2 rounds and made it to the final 2 each time but the back to back series of 30/20/10 second circles is completely unforgiving if you actually have to you know.. fight someone? You get hit, can't heal before the circle will eat you and then get skunked trying to move into the zone. So the pro strat is.. don't shoot, hope everyone kills each other and then the last guy is too torn up and you can pick up an easy win.

Sounds like lovely gamplay to me but that's pubg.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rex-Goliath posted:

10/10 Would play

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Jerkface posted:

The new map is obviously in alpha, but its a clear upgrade and progress from the mistakes of miramar. They seemed to really address a lot of the criticism. I suspect the increased AR loot is just for the test, but I'd love it if you could loot a couple of buildings and be in really good fighting shape.

You can tell how with some polish it'll be a badass map.

Isn't one of the main criticisms of Miramar that 75% of the server drops in the center of the map (Pecado/Hacienda) and you are left with 25-30 alive when the first circle closes? This map is doing the same thing. That training center is enormous and directly in the center of the map.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

It is, but it's only an problem when the map is enormous and extremely difficult to navigate.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I haven't played the new map yet but it doesn't seem like you are forced to "drop in the middle or die" like in Miramar.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I haven't played the new map yet but it doesn't seem like you are forced to "drop in the middle or die" like in Miramar.

You aren't forced to do that whatsoever in Miramar either. I regularly drop Valle or Bronca and have never had any trouble getting to the circles. People just do it because they don't want to be bothered with moving more than 2km or whatever or are bad at driving over terrain.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Someone described the new map as a, "meat grinder", and I absolutely agree. Training Grounds in particular is just like an aim practice map from decades ago, it even looks like one. Also, I ran into and barely won a 1v1 against Grimmz last night, which was the high point of me mostly getting turned into ground beef all night.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FrailDistinctLapwingJKanStyle

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The absence of blood spray threw me off all night.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

willroc7 posted:

Someone described the new map as a, "meat grinder", and I absolutely agree. Training Grounds in particular is just like an aim practice map from decades ago, it even looks like one. Also, I ran into and barely won a 1v1 against Grimmz last night, which was the high point of me mostly getting turned into ground beef all night.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FrailDistinctLapwingJKanStyle

Wow he was teaming, too!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

SpaceBanditos posted:

I'm probably the only person who has this complaint but as someone who has about 350 hours in this game my biggest complaint has been circle pacing for the end game and this map takes pretty much everything I hate about that mechanic and cranks it up to 11.

I only played 2 rounds and made it to the final 2 each time but the back to back series of 30/20/10 second circles is completely unforgiving if you actually have to you know.. fight someone? You get hit, can't heal before the circle will eat you and then get skunked trying to move into the zone. So the pro strat is.. don't shoot, hope everyone kills each other and then the last guy is too torn up and you can pick up an easy win.

Sounds like lovely gamplay to me but that's pubg.

After playing a bit more I think I agree with this. I like the decreased timers on the first circles since you're not far from it anyways so it doesn't hurt to get the action moving- however I think it should gradually shift over to the original timer settings once you hit the final circles because it becomes outright rushed at the end.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

Wow he was teaming, too!

I'd report him but he's obviously already a broken man.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_YDcMWjhpE

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I appreciate your commitment to the DP.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

My perspective on the Grimmz kill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WRQ3kpkQfg

Press R to report.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

willroc7 posted:

I appreciate your commitment to the DP.

I can imagine it's way more useful in squads mode than solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

New map is good because it has a sandbar you can jump off of with aquarails