Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Welp, Fox is throwing the Hannity Phalanx down around Laura Ingram too:

"Fox News posted:

“We cannot and will not allow voices to be censored by agenda-driven intimidation efforts,” said Abernethy. “We look forward to having Laura Ingraham back hosting her program next Monday when she returns from spring vacation with her children.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nine-gear crow posted:

how is she being silenced? fox can allow her to speak all she wants, just without sponsors. surely they have greater respect for the first amendment than to let a little thing like profit get in the way of the truth

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This is the pattern. The only question is if there's pushback against Fox News' "get over it" stance.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

boner confessor posted:

how is she being silenced? fox can allow her to speak all she wants, just without sponsors. surely they have greater respect for the first amendment than to let a little thing like profit get in the way of the truth

It appears Fox is also championing the #NotOneMore hashtag, in that after O'Reilly they are now 1000% committed to making sure that not one more of their hosts will ever be fired for being an utterly vile conscious-shocking monster.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

nine-gear crow posted:

This feels rather Baghdad Bob-esque to me. "There is no problem here! Laura will be back on Monday and anyone suggesting otherwise is an Islamolib sympathizer!"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
That hastag can easily get hijacked/monkey pawed/corncobbed.

not one more protected POS?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

STAC Goat posted:

This is the pattern. The only question is if there's pushback against Fox News' "get over it" stance.

Right, it's up to the companies to continue to boycott her show. If I recall correctly the first couple of times they went after O'Reilly, the sponsors slowly came back after a while. It's entirely possible this happens with Ingraham too.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It mostly depends on if Ingraham can hold herself back from inviting further controversy for long enough.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Keeshhound posted:

It mostly depends on if Ingraham can hold herself back from inviting further controversy for long enough.

It's partly that but there's the extra problem that she became the public face for "line crossing attacks on Parkland kids". So it's possible she can get hurt by someone else's words. And if she's smart shell have to just stop talking about these kids because people will be watching carefully looking for something. And honestly, the offending tweet is one of tamer things she's said about the Parkland kids and it's been one of the focused of her show.

but yeah, push comes to shove I'm pretty sure she's going to survive this unless she's a total moron and can't be non controversial for a couple of weeks. But the major damage she did was getting attention and with that will come more scrutiny. She's was coasting in that "No one gives a poo poo what that crazy person on Fox News at 10 PM says" spot Hannity rode for a decade. Now people are watching.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Nah, people have been watching FNC closely for years. MediaMatters was campaigning to remove Glenn Beck after he said President Obama hates white people during Obama's first term.

Hannity was never that controversial on television until the Trump era. He would defend Republicans, but mostly just via spitting back the stock talking points the RNC was feeding him. Even now, aside from the Seth Rich thing, he's not really that controversial. He's just a bit more combative toward never-Trump Republicans and a has a clear personal interest in defending Trump.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 3, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

pentyne posted:

I remember when he became internet famous for that video of him arguing with students about pronouns and the Canadian bill that would've made it a crime to misgender someone, and he was so close to being the force of reason and respect on the issue before he went wingnut welfare on it.

Even watching the video, his arguments on the rule of law and free speech are pretty well grounded, and there are a lot of people just shouting at him and dismissing him and all he would have to do is simply say "I think everyone should endeavor to respect the wishes of other individuals and address them as they politely asked to be addressed" but he dug in to his "you are a female and I'll call you female" mentality then later posting a half hearted mea culpa that he would respect the wishes of a student asking to be address by a certain pronoun.

Maybe he was always a piece of poo poo cloaked in a veil of articulate intellectual babbling but as soon as he became known the veil came down and he started railing against snowflakes and PC culture and everything the right wing loves to hear educated people rant about using big words.

He looks much less good in that scenario when you discover that the Canadian law didn’t actually require people to use the right pronouns, but was actually about workplace discrimination. He basically was making poo poo up to get attention and it worked.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Lightning Knight posted:

He looks much less good in that scenario when you discover that the Canadian law didn’t actually require people to use the right pronouns, but was actually about workplace discrimination. He basically was making poo poo up to get attention and it worked.

No, we actually have secret gender police that will send you to re-education camps if you misgender someone. Why do you think JBP is on speaking tours all the time? He's on the run!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

b-minus1 posted:

Mark Levin is currently giving his listeners a history lesson on the Eisenhower administration lol.
I’m sure he will skip right over the tax rates of that era. Oh and the final speech where he warned of the influence of the military industrial complex.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Leofish posted:

No, we actually have secret gender police that will send you to re-education camps if you misgender someone. Why do you think JBP is on speaking tours all the time? He's on the run!

I didn’t realize that Canada was so ahead of the curve, comrade.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

ErIog posted:

Nah, people have been watching FNC closely for years. MediaMatters was campaigning to remove Glenn Beck after he said President Obama hates white people during Obama's first term.
They haven't been watching it closely enough since FNC's prime time lineup has been getting worse. Ingraham's only in trouble because Hogg decided to hit back, and it'll be embarrassing for her, but the only way this type of thing is sustainable is if she winds up carrying the kind of widespread reputational stink that makes people reflexively ask why she still has a TV show every time her name comes up. I don't think this episode is anywhere near that, and it doesn't even deserve to be compared to the stuff that's just standard fare on Hannity's batshit gallery or the Tucker Carlson White Power Hour.

I guess it's better than nothing, but it's too personal, and not enough of a serious reckoning with how utterly toxic Fox News is in general.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

She just went on a pre-planned vacation right? What's the problem?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Apparently Ben Shapiro has a radio show, I listened to parts of it on my drive into work tonight. 3 points:

1. A contributor on CNN said something mean about one of the Parkland students, this proves that liberals are hypocrites for not wanting to boycott CNN and thus Laura Inghram did nothing wrong

2. He read the full statement Sinclair made stations read over the air and there's nothing wrong with it at all, completely ignoring the context of the history of things Sinclair has pushed - it's just the free market, guys!

3. The condom inhalation challenge and eating Tide pods is proof that kids are stupid and we shouldn't be looking to them for anything, and proves that liberals just want to sign them up to vote because they're so stupid and easily manipulated (or something, I couldn't really follow his train of thought there)

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Shapiro got his start as a young conservative commentator

MANime in the sheets posted:

3. The condom inhalation challenge and eating Tide pods is proof that kids are stupid and we shouldn't be looking to them for anything, and proves that liberals just want to sign them up to vote because they're so stupid and easily manipulated (or something, I couldn't really follow his train of thought there)

Ben was the product of condom inhalation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m sure he will skip right over the tax rates of that era. Oh and the final speech where he warned of the influence of the military industrial complex.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." - very conservative Republican Ike

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Things I don't like: Immigrants, LGBTQ rights, being funny.

Things I like: Murder weapons, serif fonts.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

MANime in the sheets posted:

I hear this wrt to immigrants, poor black people, gays, etc. The GOP always says this and here's what I don't get:

If the democrats were doing this and it worked then what does it say about the GOP? They refuse to help people even if it will get votes.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I hear this wrt to immigrants, poor black people, gays, etc. The GOP always says this and here's what I don't get:

If the democrats were doing this and it worked then what does it say about the GOP? They refuse to help people even if it will get votes.

The line is that the GOP is too principled to buy votes with undeserved hand out.

The reality is that they would lose their white supremacist voters and they are keenly aware of this.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
This is a bit of a chilling piece on KOMO news, the Seattle affiliate news station owned by Sinclair: https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/tv/turmoil-inside-komo-news-as-conservative-owner-sinclair-mandates-talking-points/

Basically, everyone hates working there, but they can't leave until their time is up lest they risk financial penalties. Also, the majority of journalism jobs available right now are at Sinclair outlets, and apparently they give little care to your experience.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm shocked that my small town news channel isn't owned by Sinclair. It's in the heart of the South and is apparently owned by Hearst.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
This is a new one
https://twitter.com/amconmag/status/981204681367212033?s=21

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

lmao there was extensive documentation about the ownership of enslaved persons are you kidding me? literal receipts

not to mention the dna

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
There is almost no evidence that Thomas Jefferson owned black people.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Ague Proof posted:

There is almost no evidence that Thomas Jefferson owned black people.

Don't look and ye shall not find...

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

:wrong:

Sally Hemings was about states rights not slavery

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

This might be a new low.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Koalas March posted:

This might be a new low.

Don't worry, give it a few weeks and they'll dig even lower.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Glad Tucker was tagged there since he's taken it on himself to be the modern voice of white supremacy. Wouldn't want him to feel left out.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

This might be a new low.

the article itself just appears to be a reiteration of the thomas jefferson historical society's revisionist position that the jefferson-hemings kids may have been another jefferson and not the great and wonderful thomas jefferson, so it's not even a new low. it's just low

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

speaking of tucker, this is a daily caller writer.

https://twitter.com/FrankelJeremy/status/981233135160619008

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The dude under investigation for blowing literal tens of thousands of dollars of taxpayer money on unnecessary travel expenses, and who is accused of living in a lobbyist's house.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Remove 'much as' from that sentence.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

The dude under investigation for blowing literal tens of thousands of dollars of taxpayer money on unnecessary travel expenses, and who is accused of living in a lobbyist's house.

And gave his two best friends who he hired to work directly for him unapproved 33% raises.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
A Jefferson just tripped and dropped some DNA into some black people at some point.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lycus posted:

A Jefferson just tripped and dropped some DNA into some black people at some point.

He was spermjacked, obvi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/Julie_Johnsoned/status/980964438206550016