Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

double nine posted:

you still need a bigger economy to sustain those troops though, which is not a factor with defensive/offensive/quality.

The main thing I pick quant for is the regen, which doesn't cost money, although the FL is nice too though once you do have the economy to support it. Plus you can always take the other mil groups too, I usually end up taking all 4 most games. There's really only a couple of groups worth taking under each of the other two categories anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
If EU4 had a "Historic AI" option equivalent we could just do this as a challenge. Everyone picks the same Nation and we see who has the best result by 1600 with which idea group.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/e_universalis/status/981094406622150656?s=21

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Uh oh, he comes the EU3 sliders. And indeed a new bar to fill up. :v:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
That looks rad. Maybe we can get some of the feel of moving towards more modern government that you get in Victoria 2 with its social reforms.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I hope idea groups will factor in with the options somehow.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Gort posted:

That looks rad. Maybe we can get some of the feel of moving towards more modern government that you get in Victoria 2 with its social reforms.

This is it. They extend the timeline past 1821 (say until 1936) and voila! Victoria 3 was EU4 all along. What a twist!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

On the one hand, hooray for more detail and nuance in governments! On the other, I am looking at yet another way to buy a dozen little puddly 5% or 10% bonuses to the same modifiers and my blood is starting to boil up out of my eyes.

EU these days feels like this bowl of mushy indeterminate gruel to me, sixteen ways to do the same thing and they all taste the same.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm biting the bullet, I'm going to keep EU4 on the 1.19.2 beta. On the current version there are too many variables slowly ticking up that are a drain on my attention span while providing very little satisfaction, and paradox is only doubling down further. 1.19 still has estates as an annoyance but at least the far east isn't completely dictated by the state of Ming, and gives the ruler personalities and more detailed vassal interactions. It's a good place to freeze the game at, imo, especially since there is no army drilling tax

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah eu4 ended at 1.19, it's been eu4.5 or the eu5 early access ever since

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

canepazzo posted:

This is it. They extend the timeline past 1821 (say until 1936) and voila! Victoria 3 was EU4 all along. What a twist!

I suggested that Victoria 2 and EU 4 wouldn't have to be massively different once and a guy treated me as though I was literally satan

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Gort posted:

I suggested that Victoria 2 and EU 4 wouldn't have to be massively different once and a guy treated me as though I was literally satan

Because Victoria 2 is a wine enjoyed by the finest connoisseur while EU4 is the foulest beer for the masses. I'm surprised he would stoop so low to even speak to you.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

QOL request for you Groogy: can you make it so that conquistadors don't stop exploring when they get bumped out of owned provinces? It happens all the time and it's really annoying to babysit them hitting the explore button every time

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the worst thing post 1.19 is the god awful muslim piety bonii flip

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wafflecopper posted:

QOL request for you Groogy: can you make it so that conquistadors don't stop exploring when they get bumped out of owned provinces? It happens all the time and it's really annoying to babysit them hitting the explore button every time

I think conquistadors should be removed and all inland exploration done via passive discovery from fully colonized provinces.

Lewis & Clarking it in 1520 is non-ideal.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I mean there totally were dudes trying to do that in the 1520s, like Cabeza de Vaca and company, and they saw a poo poo ton of stuff long before the region was actively colonized. Mind you, it took them eight years to get from Florida back to Mexico and almost everyone of the hundreds of expedition members died miserably, but whatever. That that doesn’t happen in EU4 is because in EU4world the harshest and least developed regions imaginable are still totally capable of sustaining magical invisible transoceanic supply lines, which is kind of its own problem.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

I think conquistadors should be removed and all inland exploration done via passive discovery from fully colonized provinces.

Lewis & Clarking it in 1520 is non-ideal.

That works too, as long as there's less attention/clicking involved I'm down as gently caress

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

skasion posted:

I mean there totally were dudes trying to do that in the 1520s, like Cabeza de Vaca and company

Hello, I'm Cow Head, the explorer.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Gort posted:

that guy was right and cool

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Huh, 2k hours in this game and I've never seen this before, I didn't even know it could happen

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

If anyone wants to do a Byzantium playthrough to try out the new missions, I had the following strategy work flawlessly the first 2 times I tried it:

1. Before unpausing: guarantee Candar, mil focus, hire a mil advisor, hire a general from the nobility and pump nobility for mil points and merchants for cash, delete fort in Morea. Set all Ottoman provinces as provinces of interest, except for the Albanian provinces.

2. Improve Relations with Albania, sell your 2 barques and hire up to your army and navy forcelimits with infantry / galleys. While this is happening also improve relations to make a few throwaway allies ASAP (Wallachia is a good one) to reduce the chance of the Ottomans declaring on you.

3. If all goes well then the OE will declare on Albania as their first war; when this happens, ally Albania and accept their CtA. You'll hit mil tech 4 fairly quickly and with Venetian assistance and Skanderbeg the Ottomans are not too difficult to beat in a straight up fight. The AI will pass over occupation of almost all Balkan provinces to you; the aim here is to separate peace for Edirne and whatever else you can get, but don't take your other cores directly. Then when Albania wins their separate war they will force the Ottomans to return your other cores as part of the peace deal, essentially letting you get >150% warscore value of provinces and reparations from a single war.

This also works on hard but you need to restart until you get a dip rep advisor which is required to get a RM with Albania, without which they won't ally you even at max relations.

Tried this, and Venice immediately peaced out after maybe 2 months of war just asking for gold from OE. What gives?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Huh, 2k hours in this game and I've never seen this before, I didn't even know it could happen

that poo poo is badass and the cornerstone for every great navarra migration run

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've been to Abitibi, and it's exactly like that

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

canepazzo posted:

Tried this, and Venice immediately peaced out after maybe 2 months of war just asking for gold from OE. What gives?

Sounds like you're playing the bugged beta patch where AI allies are completely useless

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Hello, I'm Cow Head, the explorer.

Really adds a bit of perspective to all those guys like Tȟatȟáŋka Íyotake

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Another QOL request while I'm at it: Religious League map mode

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Autonomous Monster posted:

On the one hand, hooray for more detail and nuance in governments! On the other, I am looking at yet another way to buy a dozen little puddly 5% or 10% bonuses to the same modifiers and my blood is starting to boil up out of my eyes.

EU these days feels like this bowl of mushy indeterminate gruel to me, sixteen ways to do the same thing and they all taste the same.

I had a momentary "oh cool, something to do with the internal management of the country" feeling and then realised it was just more of the same bonuses to modifiers stuff. I hope the sequel makes internal political challenges an actual, significant part of gameplay, because it seems like it's too late in EU4's dev cycle to try and put that in an expansion. It just gets a little strange as the game 'simulates' (or alludes to) more and more historical aspects of culture and statecraft with each expansion, but they only get represented in the context of like, reduced coring costs and higher forcelimits.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, I wish they'd do things more like how they did ages, where the boniii are mostly unique/big things that can kind of affect how you play more. With governments, you'd even have a chance to throw in some possible cool drawbacks to the reforms to kind of simulate that maybe having a totalitarian hellhole dedicated entirely to military output might bite you in the rear end elsewhere.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
As cool as all of that would be I'm guessing the main hurdle is making the AI capable of actually using all of the systems well enough.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

For QoL reasons, I still would like an ability to manually set a popup at a date in the future:
* Can use certain estate interactions again
* Truce between my ally and my rival is up
* Start integrating vassal 2, so it's not slowed down by the diplo rep penalty of vassal 1 integration.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

boniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Edit : I'm dumb.

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 3, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

At this point they should have stopped active development on CK2 and EU4 a long time ago and put those on the backburner, with a very small team just doing bugfix patching from now on, shift more people over to HoI4 and Stellaris, maybe eventually begin work on CK3 and EU5 (if they haven't already, I don't believe they have though). I get the feeling that actively supporting and developing 4 games at the same time is a bit too much for Paradox.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Senor Dog posted:

boniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

bonito is spanish for "little bonus"

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Randarkman posted:

At this point they should have stopped active development on CK2 and EU4 a long time ago and put those on the backburner, with a very small team just doing bugfix patching from now on, shift more people over to HoI4 and Stellaris, maybe eventually begin work on CK3 and EU5 (if they haven't already, I don't believe they have though). I get the feeling that actively supporting and developing 4 games at the same time is a bit too much for Paradox.

Good news is it will soon be 5 games! They're announcing rome 2 soon

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

Good news is it will soon be 5 games! They're announcing rome 2 soon

I'd really like Rome 2 to be honest, though I guess this is a joke. Also yeah, if so they're spreading themselves thin.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

oddium posted:

bonito is spanish for "little bonus"

bonitonii

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

OperaMouse posted:

* Start integrating vassal 2, so it's not slowed down by the diplo rep penalty of vassal 1 integration.

:captainpop:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

a notice for when a country of Interest gains an heir please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

AG3 posted:

As cool as all of that would be I'm guessing the main hurdle is making the AI capable of actually using all of the systems well enough.

Just abstract it down to weighted dice rolls. No reason the AI needs to be virtually clicking all the tabs and buttons.