Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Okay, so I think I stumbled upon a clearer answer to my confusion. Because I was under the impression that Yantras weren't redefined as instant actions, but remained reflexive and you just couldn't do more than one per turn, and thus "cannot be used reflexively" meant maybe Mantras just couldn't be used for fast-casting.

Except buried in the back of the book, and nowhere else that I can seem to find, in the quick reference sheets, Yantras beyond the first become instant actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

That Old Tree posted:

The Mantra Yantra in Awakening 2E is a little unclear to me. Perhaps you fine folks can help me out? Which of the following is true:

• You can use it when fast-casting, but it extends your casting time by one extra turn even if it's the only Yantra you use.

• You cannot use it when fast-casting at all, only when casting spells ritually.

• Something else that I didn't even begin to grasp from the text.

Page 119 - when using advanced casting time, you can use only one yantra reflexively (ie, in the same turn as you cast your spell). All others extend your casting time by one turn each.

In standard casting time (ritual), you can put as many as you like in because each one taking a few seconds doesn't matter when the spell is takibg half an hour

High Speech's rule exception is that it can't be the one yantra you get reflexively.

Adamant Hand allows you to declare certain skill rolls as reflexive yantras as well as their normal utility: an Arrow mage with Athletics Hand can Dodge for a round before casting and get a casting bonus from it.

Yes, this means most "instant" spellcasting in Mage actually takes two or three combat rounds, allowing mages to be interrupted. Yes, this is completely intended.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

nofather posted:

So you can slowly create an opportune environment, using Influences to make things Open, and then attempt to get across. There are some abilities, like Gauntlet Breach, that seem to just make a big old noticeable hole that anyone can see and cross into.

Attempt how? The only thing I can find in the book about how spirits cross the Gauntlet is Gauntlet Breach. Even a Locus only offers a +2 bonus.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Thanks for your answers to my question, guys.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Quick question: how would 'interrupting' a spellcasting work? There's not a D&D-style concentration check, I assume, but I imagine some kind of issue occurs if you get punched in the face halfway through a yantra?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is Fate magic supposed to be extremely bullshit? One of my players took Exceptional Luck (Fate 2) as a Rote, which means that my party consistently has five extra dice on literally any roll they make, provided they can plan even slightly ahead or wait three seconds for the spell, which is free, to go off. They can accomplish difficulty 5 tasks with ease and I am running out of positive conditions to give them for exceptional successes.

It’s taking everything I have to avoid “balancing” things behind the screen by bumping up difficulty ratings by one every time. Is there something that we could be missing, or is there anything I can do beyond reminding them that dramatic failures give them beats? (Reminding the players that dramatic failures give them beats immediately derails the plot because the not-at-all dextrous guy immediately decides to pick somebody’s pocket for no in-game reason at all.)

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Meddling with fate sounds like the perfect opportunity to start getting Monkey's Paw with chronology and timelines. Maybe they start having really elaborate dreams wherein they experience the timeline they avoided, or extended dissasociative episodes where fate changes (or appears to change) for them but noone else. It's not entirely out of WoD character if stunts work in the quick a handful of times, only to result in greater complications shortly after. I don't know the mechanics too well, but I bet you could work out a way that each casting of that fate spell results in increased difficulty or even outright catastrophy later. The luck's got to come from somewhere, right? (no, but, it's a fun idea) You could even compel them to start having to "steal" luck from random passers-by, in order to avoid the repercussions of their meddling.

Alternatively, don't let them wait 3 seconds. Are "time spirits" a thing? Maybe every time they try the fate trick, they get caught in a stable time loop that resets every time they use their magic, compelling them to Groundhogs Day their way through the scene magic-free. If they're pulling that trick on a lot of mundane challenges where it clearly isn't needed, I'd try something like that.
What are some examples of times they've abused this? This is something I'd address in-game rather than mechanistically, you could slap them with a bunch of paradox for relying on this one trick too much but I think you can find something a bit more engaging than that, plus then the player would have something nigh-useless weighing down their character sheet.

How would you like to see this resolved? What would make your game more exciting?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Don't do something that's gonna take away their toys, just throw bigger bullshit at them and see how they handle it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Also, everything in Mage is bullshit, there will be more of this to come if your players are even a little savvy. Time and Fate just get there faster than other paths and with less imagination required.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Meddling with fate sounds like the perfect opportunity to start getting Monkey's Paw with chronology and timelines. Maybe they start having really elaborate dreams wherein they experience the timeline they avoided, or extended dissasociative episodes where fate changes (or appears to change) for them but noone else. It's not entirely out of WoD character if stunts work in the quick a handful of times, only to result in greater complications shortly after. I don't know the mechanics too well, but I bet you could work out a way that each casting of that fate spell results in increased difficulty or even outright catastrophy later. The luck's got to come from somewhere, right? (no, but, it's a fun idea) You could even compel them to start having to "steal" luck from random passers-by, in order to avoid the repercussions of their meddling.

Alternatively, don't let them wait 3 seconds. Are "time spirits" a thing? Maybe every time they try the fate trick, they get caught in a stable time loop that resets every time they use their magic, compelling them to Groundhogs Day their way through the scene magic-free. If they're pulling that trick on a lot of mundane challenges where it clearly isn't needed, I'd try something like that.
What are some examples of times they've abused this? This is something I'd address in-game rather than mechanistically, you could slap them with a bunch of paradox for relying on this one trick too much but I think you can find something a bit more engaging than that, plus then the player would have something nigh-useless weighing down their character sheet.

How would you like to see this resolved? What would make your game more exciting?

You could always go full langoliers on them for at least one plot arc.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I think a fun recurring protagonist would be the vengeful avatar of a mage who WOULD have awakened, had their abuse of Fate spells not intervened.

Seconding the call for throwing bigger bullshit at them, the idea of a magickal Wargames scenario where they are compelled to push through challenges as subtle as possible would suit the flavor well.

Edit- Addiction/dependency would be another fun way to do this, if the challenge for mundane tasks is ramped all the way up by repeated dramatic use of that Fate spell, how does that affect their out-of-game lives? Every meal burns, constantly cut themselves shaving, frequent slip-and-falls in the bathroom. That takes a toll on a mortal, even a Mage is going to start falling apart if they can't brush their teeth without fundamentally tweaking the balance of the universe. Now they need a dice pool of 15 to even drive to the store. What would detoxing look like?

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 3, 2018

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

blastron posted:

Is Fate magic supposed to be extremely bullshit? One of my players took Exceptional Luck (Fate 2) as a Rote, which means that my party consistently has five extra dice on literally any roll they make, provided they can plan even slightly ahead or wait three seconds for the spell, which is free, to go off. They can accomplish difficulty 5 tasks with ease and I am running out of positive conditions to give them for exceptional successes.

It’s taking everything I have to avoid “balancing” things behind the screen by bumping up difficulty ratings by one every time. Is there something that we could be missing, or is there anything I can do beyond reminding them that dramatic failures give them beats? (Reminding the players that dramatic failures give them beats immediately derails the plot because the not-at-all dextrous guy immediately decides to pick somebody’s pocket for no in-game reason at all.)

I haven't run or played Awakening yet, but I've encountered somewhat similar issues in Ascension and other games.

While "9-again to whatever" versus "just a fuckton of dice to use of one Skill" does seem a little lopsided, especially allowing for any amount of planning, it seems entirely intentional and in-line with other spells. Superlative Luck (Fate 3) can give you "rote quality to whatever" which is also pretty drat beefy. And then you get into easily-cast spells that outright bypass all kinds of barriers you'd expect to temper PC actions, particularly when it comes to information gathering. Likewise, with things like Grimoires and other non-spell dice bonuses and tricks mages have access to, I think your issue should be less one of secretly increasing the difficulty of things, and more presenting them with greater challenges outright. Mages more than any other CoD PC types are expected to easily succeed at a lot of things that are considered challenges in other games, and you have to re-contextualize what a meaningful challenge is for them. High-Rank spirits and Seers of the Throne can meet them on a pretty level playing field.

When it comes to exceptional success Condition-fatigue, just be honest and say, like, "Look, it's getting narratively and personally exhausting to make everyone Inspired every time you guys boost a car or build an RC airplane for a Hard Ticket to Hawaii caper, so I'm just going to turn the dial up a little on how and when you get Conditions like that." I think maybe there're even words along these lines in at least one of the core books, anyway? I dunno, I can't easily look right now.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Terrorforge posted:

Attempt how? The only thing I can find in the book about how spirits cross the Gauntlet is Gauntlet Breach. Even a Locus only offers a +2 bonus.

This is one of the missing bits of info about ephemera. There seems to be an attempt to suggest they can cross over. They get a +2 to their rolls, as you noticed, to cross over.

But there's no mention of any rolls to actually do so.

Also Reaching is the term for werewolves crossing over. But in the ephemera section for werewolves it's 'just' using some abilities across the Gauntlet.

So in line with what I said before, "I've established a precedent of deciding how I read things and working from there regarding the ambiguous parts that does not always match RAI."

And I believe Manifestations, like Fetter, can be used via Reaching to cross over. It's like Batman using his grapple-gun or Spider-man using their web to pull themselves across to the subject of the Manifestation, except metaphysically.

nofather fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 3, 2018

Dec 26, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

When it comes to exceptional success Condition-fatigue, just be honest and say, like, "Look, it's getting narratively and personally exhausting to make everyone Inspired every time you guys boost a car or build an RC airplane for a Hard Ticket to Hawaii caper, so I'm just going to turn the dial up a little on how and when you get Conditions like that." I think maybe there're even words along these lines in at least one of the core books, anyway? I dunno, I can't easily look right now.

This, and additionally:

quote:

Lastly, when moving between game sessions, it’s not unreason- able to shed unused Conditions. You can keep them from story to story, but as a rule of thumb, if a Condition isn’t important enough to resolve in the same story, it’s probably not offering much ongoing dramatic benefit. This is mostly up to player choice; if they want to keep a Condition to resolve it later, they should be allowed to.

For positive conditions in your position I'd probably put a limit on how many stick around session-to-session or how many you can bank at once. If you want to get fancy about it you could peg it to some in-game trait like Gnosis, but obviously that makes whichever trait you pick stronger so discretion is advised if that's an issue.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I had to quickly make my peace with things like constant exceptional successes by mages with far too many dice to throw at things. This and giving away bundles of information just because they've succeeded on a 1-dot Knowing spell was a paradigm that took a bit for my brain to cope with.

Now I give AXP beats for exceptional successes in combat, and tend to give short term conditions (+1 to the next skill roll or something) that just go away after the chapter is over. It's only going to make sense to be used in the story they're moving through, so having a +1 to persuasion come up three months later when they're talking to the mayor doesn't make sense when it's a +1 gained from casting postcognition to see who cast a spell that caused some terrible paradox that they've got to clean up (it was probably their own acanthus). Small transitory boons are the best, and they tend to get used quickly or they forget about them just as quickly.

It's all balanced out pretty well, and I have no qualms about giving away beats for it because we use group beats, and then we're not going out of our way to hit obsessions and aspirations constantly. I still give beats for those too, and we end up between 5-12 total regular and arcane beats a session. I was checking the other night and they've earned about 1.2xp per session since the beginning.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
"Mantra Yantra, Schmantra" itself is my mantra yantra for the mind spell that makes people not care about things

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

blastron posted:

(Reminding the players that dramatic failures give them beats immediately derails the plot because the not-at-all dextrous guy immediately decides to pick somebody’s pocket for no in-game reason at all.)

or everyone in the party works together to search a warehouse and all but one of them fail the roll and one by one tell me "I'll take a dramatic failure for a beat"

1st one: crate falls on head, 2 bashing
2nd: crate falls on head, 2 bashing and you land on your familiar and deal 1 bashing to it
3rd: 3 bashing
4th: 4 bashing
5th: "Uh, I'm good with a normal failure. That's fine."

I'm actually never sure if I'm hitting hard enough for dramatic failures. They pretty much never happened in 1e and now that I'm running 2e I haven't really gotten the feel for them yet.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Xinder posted:

I'm actually never sure if I'm hitting hard enough for dramatic failures. They pretty much never happened in 1e and now that I'm running 2e I haven't really gotten the feel for them yet.

Well you want dramatic, which doesn't necessarily mean painful. 1 Bashing is going to heal pretty quick, arguably by the time they get into an actual encounter where it would matter.

The obvious dramatic failure for doing that would be 'You get caught,' but that's because it seems like something they're not supposed to be doing. Or you find the wrong thing due to mislabeling.

If their job is warehouse inspector, though, just going through a warehouse looking for something that's there, you probably don't need a roll for that to begin with.

nofather fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 3, 2018

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
i mean the actual situation is that they're searching for a warehouse that is being used as a base for a cult hideout. they had two options and are currently in the wrong one, so they're searching for clues (that don't exist, but if someone got a really good roll i might invent something that points them in a useful direction anyway).

i was doing it as a team extended roll with a target of 5 successes. i was not expecting anyone to fail and the fact that they (almost) all did is kinda...unexpected.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ideally a dramatic failure should create a conflict. Hitting harder in this case means the situation escalates. It shouldn't be goofy, it should be something they would distinctly not have wanted to happen.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Hmmm, I didn't really want to extend the "barking up the wrong tree" scenario and was hoping to get them back to the actual plot soon, but I guess you guys are right and I should drop some actual conflict if they're grabbing dramatic failures. Just dropping hurting on them isn't really dramatic at all. Thanks for the advice.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Xinder posted:

Hmmm, I didn't really want to extend the "barking up the wrong tree" scenario and was hoping to get them back to the actual plot soon, but I guess you guys are right and I should drop some actual conflict if they're grabbing dramatic failures. Just dropping hurting on them isn't really dramatic at all. Thanks for the advice.

One way to handle it would be to have them search said warehouse, find nothing, then as they're leaving bump into the cult.

Basically taking away any element of surprise or stealth they might have been attempting and forcing them into a confrontation (which doesn't have to get into combat).

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Mendrian posted:

Ideally a dramatic failure should create a conflict. Hitting harder in this case means the situation escalates. It shouldn't be goofy, it should be something they would distinctly not have wanted to happen.

It's a house rule, but I think it fits the spirit of things here: I would probably treat voluntary dramatic failures like interesting times in Legends of the Wulin, which specified that when you roll whatever dice values yielded interesting times, it's been awhile since I played, you could ask the GM for an offer of added complications in exchange for joss. The GM wasn't obligated to make the offer if they didn't have any good suitable ideas. I would try to avoid using this as an excuse to make the offer of a dramatic failure rare and special, but if your players are opting for it so frequently that you can't think of anything suitably dramatic, I don't think it's flinty or imbalanced to simply say "nah, I got nothing this time, I'll listen to suggestions if you have any ideas that are interesting enough but otherwise let's move along."

The stuff that plugs into beat rewards in CofD is designed to encourage turns in the plot and interesting moments, not to bog you down or drop rocks on anyone.

Xinder posted:

i mean the actual situation is that they're searching for a warehouse that is being used as a base for a cult hideout. they had two options and are currently in the wrong one, so they're searching for clues (that don't exist, but if someone got a really good roll i might invent something that points them in a useful direction anyway).

i was doing it as a team extended roll with a target of 5 successes. i was not expecting anyone to fail and the fact that they (almost) all did is kinda...unexpected.

I would also try to avoid having characters make rolls where the default success result is "nothing happens" and the default failure result is "nothing happens." CofD really doesn't do "if you get a really good roll" well like that, successes are too swingy to be that granular. The exceptional success mechanic may be there, but a plain success is still meant to be a success.

And I definitely wouldn't make it an extended action unless there was some kind of time constraint where a failure would be interesting because Things Got Worse while you wasted time not having finished the action yet. There are teamwork rules you can use for single-roll simple actions. They work fine.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 3, 2018

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I like that idea a lot. We actually had to stop playing right after this box dropping ridiculousness and they're still only at 1/5 successes for when we resume. So if this happens again I'll do that.

Although now that I think about it, that 1 bashing the familiar got was rolling over on top of full lethal, so that familiar is now 1 bashing away from death. That's...pretty dramatic...

e:

I Am Just a Box posted:

It's a house rule, but I think it fits the spirit of things here: I would probably treat voluntary dramatic failures like interesting times in Legends of the Wulin, which specified that when you roll whatever dice values yielded interesting times, it's been awhile since I played, you could ask the GM for an offer of added complications in exchange for joss. The GM wasn't obligated to make the offer if they didn't have any good suitable ideas. I would try to avoid using this as an excuse to make the offer of a dramatic failure rare and special, but if your players are opting for it so frequently that you can't think of anything suitably dramatic, I don't think it's flinty or imbalanced to simply say "nah, I got nothing this time, I'll listen to suggestions if you have any ideas that are interesting enough but otherwise let's move along."

The stuff that plugs into beat rewards in CofD is designed to encourage turns in the plot and interesting moments, not to bog you down or drop rocks on anyone.

I appreciate this post. I think it actually makes a lot of sense to be able to tell the players "Hey, I can't think of anything dramatic for this so you can't opt for a dramatic failure here unless you give me an idea that I like." That would avoid a lot of my "uhhhhhhhh, crates fall on your head" decisions.

quote:

I would also try to avoid having characters make rolls where the default success result is "nothing happens" and the default failure result is "nothing happens." CofD really doesn't do "if you get a really good roll" well like that, successes are too swingy to be that granular. The exceptional success mechanic may be there, but a plain success is still meant to be a success.

And I definitely wouldn't make it an extended action unless there was some kind of time constraint where a failure would be interesting because Things Got Worse while you wasted time not having finished the action yet. There are teamwork rules you can use for single-roll simple actions. They work fine.

I actually am keeping track of time on this one and I told them each turn is half an hour (hence why they all tried to jump in to help, since if they could hit 5 in the first turn that's only one half hour spent). For more context, the cult they're looking for has abducted at least two children the party is aware of and I have an invisible timer on when the kids become corpses. The reason they're rolling at all is to see how much time they waste here.

Xinder fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 3, 2018

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I don't give beats for dramatic failures. It's just a bad rule, plain and simple. I know it's meant to encourage people to go for unlikely feats, since otherwise there's no mechanical reason to try rolling a chance die, but if you as a ST really want players to do that you'll have to present challenges that players will actually really want to roll dice for, even if they're unlikely. The point of the game isn't to "roll dice", it's to tell a participatory story. Giving people bennies for rolling more dice turns it into a dumb game of Yahtzee.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Someone posted here, and I stole for my game, giving the player the option of two or more fail states on a dramatic failure. It's gone over really well.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

pospysyl posted:

I don't give beats for dramatic failures. It's just a bad rule, plain and simple. I know it's meant to encourage people to go for unlikely feats, since otherwise there's no mechanical reason to try rolling a chance die, but if you as a ST really want players to do that you'll have to present challenges that players will actually really want to roll dice for, even if they're unlikely. The point of the game isn't to "roll dice", it's to tell a participatory story. Giving people bennies for rolling more dice turns it into a dumb game of Yahtzee.

I think you misunderstand the rule in use here - people are talking about downgrading normal failures to Dramatic Failures, for which the Storyteller awards a beat.
It's a purely voluntary act on the part of the player, and can be offered when the ST has a particular failure condition they want to put in play.
Hell, I offer the players beats for normal failures at things I didn't expect them to do that I would prefer they fail at! It's all very above-board bribery and corruption, and it keeps the game moving.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Soonmot posted:

Someone posted here, and I stole for my game, giving the player the option of two or more fail states on a dramatic failure. It's gone over really well.

I will also steal this.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

pospysyl posted:

The point of the game isn't to "roll dice", it's to tell a participatory story. Giving people bennies for rolling more dice turns it into a dumb game of Yahtzee.
Thank you for putting how I fee about that rule in particular into such succinct words. I personally hate beats as a mechanic in general because it forcibly jams us into the bad old days of the xp positive feedback loop: Steve managed to do more xp gaining things in a session, so he has more xp, so he gets to do more things, and because he gets to do more things he gets more xp for doing things, repeat until the rest of the group is nothing more than Steve's cheering section. It's especially bad because aspirations require a good measure of metagaming to come up with, and taking the merits that say "you gain a beat when you do this thing" is always going to lead you towards looking for reasons to do that thing for any reason, in part because you have to do it 5 times just to break even. It leads to so many really terrible game habits and none of it really leads to a more interesting story in my experience.

Edit:

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think you misunderstand the rule in use here - people are talking about downgrading normal failures to Dramatic Failures, for which the Storyteller awards a beat.
It's a purely voluntary act on the part of the player, and can be offered when the ST has a particular failure condition they want to put in play.
Hell, I offer the players beats for normal failures at things I didn't expect them to do that I would prefer they fail at! It's all very above-board bribery and corruption, and it keeps the game moving.
It doesn't really though. You're looking for reasons to roll so that you can fail and get that sweet sweet downgrade beat. Maybe I've just had really lovely STs for everything 2e, but I've never had a DF that actually moved the game along - it's always "well now I have this poo poo to deal with too" or "and now we have to back off and rethink". It doesn't really help shape the story in any interesting way, it just makes people want to throw themselves under a bus to grab the gold coin stuck to the oil pan.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 4, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

good news: Group beats!

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also, everything in Mage is bullshit, there will be more of this to come if your players are even a little savvy. Time and Fate just get there faster than other paths and with less imagination required.

One of the most important skills to master when STing Mage is the ability to tell your players "no." No, I'm not letting you use Fate to do recursive spell-buffs. No, I'm not ruling that you can cause atomic explosions with Forces shielding. No, for this game I don't feel you can use Space to teleport into the Shadow without conjunctional Spirit. Etcetera.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

good news: Group beats!

and rewarding beats for good character interactions, or the characters trying cool stuff even if it doesn't work!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Yeah I've only ever granted dramatic failures when I pitched it; I would tell a player who wanted one without prompting that they needed a good pitch for the effect of such a failure.

Also, group beats are the only acceptable beats.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Joe Slowboat posted:

Yeah I've only ever granted dramatic failures when I pitched it; I would tell a player who wanted one without prompting that they needed a good pitch for the effect of such a failure.

Also, group beats are the only acceptable beats.

I find myself wondering under what circumstances people wouldn't want to use group beats. I imagine they may need help.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Ironslave posted:

I find myself wondering under what circumstances people wouldn't want to use group beats. I imagine they may need help.

I can imagine, in a close-knit long-term group who are very into simulation and troupe-style play, a use for individual beats to help simulate a motley group growing in power together.

But that's the only situation and it's basically never going to exist, and also that would be a lot of work.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
My question would be why are they in a situation where the warehouse they went to is the wrong one? Is something being added to the story by them going to a place that's not relevant to anything? Is there something at the warehouse that will point them in the right direction? Maybe not the right direction, but expose them to some side plotline?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

I can imagine, in a close-knit long-term group who are very into simulation and troupe-style play, a use for individual beats to help simulate a motley group growing in power together.

But that's the only situation and it's basically never going to exist, and also that would be a lot of work.

So for people who've been playing since 1990 and like XP to be theirs and only theirs?

Group beats are the best. Very few people want to play the character that's a decent amount of less powerful just because they gamed the system less than other people. But there are definitely still those people.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Pope Guilty posted:

My question would be why are they in a situation where the warehouse they went to is the wrong one? Is something being added to the story by them going to a place that's not relevant to anything? Is there something at the warehouse that will point them in the right direction? Maybe not the right direction, but expose them to some side plotline?

Yes, if it's just a 'you chose a wrong warehouse, now nothing happens' you're kinda running them into a lull in the story. Basically, you don't have to give them all successes, but you want failures and bad choices to at least add to the story, rather than lead to dead end plots and filler. You go to the completely wrong place, and the cult gets a win they wouldn't get if you went to the right place.

But if I don't sit at peoples tables I don't really have a right to harp on peoples games, it's not exactly productive either and I already come off enough as an rear end in a top hat even before I start criticizing people's choices. Plus we're only getting a very brief summary of things.

Over the past year or so (probably more, I think it was kicked off by reading DaveB's actual plays) I've tried to get a better feel for running stories, in terms of exploring characterization and settings better and getting the players more in what they want (factoring in aspirations) and overall DM stuff. Because the books don't really get into that beyond a couple lines per antagonist type and I was basing things more on video game and tv show story structure which has its pluses but is more staggered than smoother things like good books. Also time shifts, I've always been bad with that and is one of the bigger things I'm trying to get bad at. 'You come back from the warehouse a few hours later with no luck, finding nothing relating to the cult,' instead of running them through investigations in an empty (of plot) warehouse. But John finds a bloody handprint on his door when he goes home and something/someone is missing from his house. There's a lot of bad habits I've picked up just trying to tool things around on my own or keep around because it's the way I've always done things and most of them can be shed and only improve things.

I found AngryGM to be good for that, at least getting me looking at things different in terms of how games are planned and plots arranged. For the most part his advice is about D&D but a good amount of it can be ported over and is more about things like flow or what makes for a fulfilling encounter.

nofather fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 4, 2018

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Jhet posted:

So for people who've been playing since 1990 and like XP to be theirs and only theirs?

Group beats are the best. Very few people want to play the character that's a decent amount of less powerful just because they gamed the system less than other people. But there are definitely still those people.

No I mean if there are multiple secondary PCs and/or PCs not being strictly controlled by one player, so that having individual power tracks creates an interesting array. Like Ars Magicka's grogs and wizards, basically. Individual beats would make sense for characters who aren't meant to develop at the same rate as the main PCs, whether faster because they're not expected to be around as long, or slower because they're less important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

No I mean if there are multiple secondary PCs and/or PCs not being strictly controlled by one player, so that having individual power tracks creates an interesting array. Like Ars Magicka's grogs and wizards, basically. Individual beats would make sense for characters who aren't meant to develop at the same rate as the main PCs, whether faster because they're not expected to be around as long, or slower because they're less important.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. And it's a perfectly good reason to do it like that. I've just never run into a situation where that actually makes sense to do it that way in a -of Darkness game line except in large scale groups on the internet (PbP or the like).