Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

canyoneer posted:

12 times, that is ridiculous. A T-70 with as much effective health as a Ghost.

Advanced Optics letting him keep that focus for the evade just lets Poe get away with making wayyyy to many mistakes. He had a few other games where Poe regened 9 and 10 times. I really wish is game against Travis Foss had been on stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Still, the only way poe dash makes top table is by dodging fenn ghost.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Also, the one guy who flew 4 J5K got caught cheating by a bystander a very reputable bystander. However, since his opponent did not see it they could not boot him. This isn't the first time he has been accused of cheating.

He did have a judge following him for every single game after that and he also had a game against Ahkter Khan. For those who don't know Ahkter, he is ridiculously friendly and his two kids are great players. Ahkter made his game a living hell, calling him on every single thing he could. Pretty sure any other NSW/ACT event he shows up at he is going to have a shadow the whole event.

Here are the alt art cards they gave out. First 2 are for flying off the board during a stream.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Raged posted:

Also, the one guy who flew 4 J5K got caught cheating by a bystander a very reputable bystander. However, since his opponent did not see it they could not boot him. This isn't the first time he has been accused of cheating.

Dial changing? Weird, because if it's who I'm thinking, I've bought xwing stuff from him before and he was always a super considerate seller with decent prices.

Just shows how acrylic crack turns men into monsters...

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

hoiyes posted:

Dial changing? Weird, because if it's who I'm thinking, I've bought xwing stuff from him before and he was always a super considerate seller with decent prices.

Just shows how acrylic crack turns men into monsters...

The opponent wasn't watching as he flew a J5K off the board by a few mm then "accidentally" bumped it back in by a lot. Flipping down crit cards that can't couldn't be flipped down. He tried a few other things and got called on them in other games which he could pass off as mistakes.

Raged fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 25, 2018

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yavin was loving awesome y'all. I only lost two games all weekend. Unfortunately they were two out of the three first games. But the second was to Nand loving Torfs, and I was maybe two turns from having Vader in his HWK's donut and that would have been game for me.

Ran QD, Vader and a Kylo bombershuttle for the main event, then stuck to Asajj, Guri, Sunny for the rest, except for one match in HB with Poe Fenn Jess. Not gonna go through every matchup - there's a brief report in the Oxford FB group if anyone cares enough.

Highlight of the tourney was one-shotting Nand's Fenn with a Harpoon. Lowlight was getting QD run off the board by ions. Or maybe missing the final round and not knowing if I could have gone 6-0 in hyperspace - but given how loving tired I was and how many mistakes I was making in the final round - I was INCREDIBLY lucky to pull it off - I would probably not have won the 6th. So I traded half my shield tokens to my lift who was on 4-1 and might have won his last one, to go home.

Such a great event, such a great atmosphere, and really shows what I can do when I finally go into a major tourney with a good list and not loving ill.

9-2 for the weekend is by far my best result to date.

And the swag was neat too. The official goodies are awesome, plus:
- Cod Squadron Harpoon tokens from Nand
- Darkstar Marauder x-wing pilot from a Darkstar guy
- Zombie squadron Expertise
- Dodgeball Talonbane Cobra

Super looking forward to Euros now. Not wearing a recognisable costume this year - a character of my own making, but a Star Wars one. I'm making a Seeker Droid to sit on my shoulder, among other things.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I pulled out all my X-Wing stuff to re-organize it all and consolidate all the various tokens and bits. Holy poo poo, have I spent a lot of money on this dumb game.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Funzo posted:

I pulled out all my X-Wing stuff to re-organize it all and consolidate all the various tokens and bits. Holy poo poo, have I spent a lot of money on this dumb game.

It's a cheap hobby, all things considered. It could've been cars, boats, or scuba diving :v:

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Icon Of Sin posted:

It's a cheap hobby, all things considered. It could've been cars, boats, or scuba diving :v:

This is true. Compared to what I've spent on homebrewing equipment, it's pretty minor.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Anyone going to a Campaign Against Cancer event next weekend? Any fun list ideas?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Not so much 'fun' as...well, whatever it is....

Contracted Scout — JumpMaster 5000 25
Rage 1
Inspiring Recruit 1
Ship Total: 27

Rage 1
Inspiring Recruit 1

Rage 1
Inspiring Recruit 1

Serissu — M3-A Interceptor 20
Veteran Instincts 1
"Light Scyk" Interceptor -2
Ship Total: 19

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyonero posted:

Anyone going to a Campaign Against Cancer event next weekend? Any fun list ideas?

I am. Best event of the year.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna fly Incredible Bulk or Triple Punishers.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I really want to go, but I didn't plan ahead and the closest one is over 4 hours away. Sounds fun as balls, though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

enigmahfc posted:

I really want to go, but I didn't plan ahead and the closest one is over 4 hours away. Sounds fun as balls, though.

I have literally never, ever had more fun playing X-Wing than at last year's CaC event.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

I have literally never, ever had more fun playing X-Wing than at last year's CaC event.

I flew your Nein, Ten, Biggs list last year and flew a handful of ships of the board. I thought it was great fun, but a couple of my opponents weren't as into it for whatever reason.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

canyonero posted:

Really wanted to go since we are having one in Australia this year, but between travelling to regionals and buying a car this weekend I’m to povo to make the trip. Pretty sure people here are bringing whatever they used at regionals.

Vic regional organisers scheduled their regional the same day at the CAC. Poor form.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CAC is a great time. I've had more fun chilling with people at cac than at worlds.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Really wanted to go since we are having one in Australia this year, but between travelling to regionals and buying a car this weekend I’m to povo to make the trip. Pretty sure people here are bringing whatever they used at regionals.

Vic regional organisers scheduled their regional the same day at the CAC. Poor form.

The CAC format is so good. Youdivide everyone into pods, each pod has everyone play everyone, then after a break, make new pods grouped by record and MoV, then do 3 more rounds.

So the tryhards end up all playing each other. The janky lists end up playing each other. It's so good.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Not sure if this an april fools day homebrew or not

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Someone mentioned a few pages back being burned out, and I've been feeling the same. I feel like I don't have the right lists to do very well, even in casual games (I've given up trying doing tournaments).

I usually get destroyed by precise domino effect upgrades and abilities, or TLT (which is Still very unfun to play against). One person I play against usually flies four wookies.

I just don't have a very good eye for seeing what abilities interact well with others.

When I see suggested lists, it's usually includes ships I don't have, and I just don't want to sink more into x-wing (at least right now, especially since I bought the legion core).

I tend to like flying a handful of small ships, so between aces and swarms. One of my lists I fall back on is Rey in the 1300 with Poe.

These are the ships I have:

REBELS
X-Wing x6
A-Wing x1
Tie Fighter x1
T-65 X-wing x2
T-70 X-Wing x2
HWK 290 x1
B-Wing x1
VCX100 x1
Phantom x1
YT-1300 x2
--------------------
Tie Fighter x3
Tie/FO x3
Tie/SF x1
Tie Advanced x1
Tie Adv. Prototype x1
Tie Tie Interceptor x3
Tie Bomber x1
Tie Phantom x1
Tie Punisher x1
Tie Striker x1
Upsilon Shuttle x1

Suggestions for lists is appreciated.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
4 wookiees is such un-fun trash and a garbage list and it's totally OK to say that you don't want to play against it in a casual setting.

As a chill list with aces/swarms, this is the first thing that came to mind with your collection.

The Inquisitor (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)

"Pure Sabacc" (22)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Lightweight Frame (2)
Adaptive Ailerons (0)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

"Howlrunner" (18)
Crack Shot (1)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Rebels
Poe Dameron (PS9) — T-70 X-Wing 33
Veteran Instincts 1
R2-D2 4
Advanced Optics 2
Autothrusters 2
Black One 1
Ship Total: 43

Rey — YT-1300 45
Veteran Instincts 1
Finn 5
Kanan Jarrus 3
Burnout SLAM 1
Smuggling Compartment 0
Millennium Falcon (TFA) 1
Ship Total: 56

A classic. While ideally you'd have Expertise on Rey, VI still isn't fun on a ship that does that much damage. Rey alpha-strikes and focuses on killing whatever the biggest nastiest thing they have is, while Poe goes around a flank to harass. Rey dies first, she's gonna get the focus fire guarenteed, but she should cripple them enough that a Regen PS11 Poe can mop up. The Rey combo is that Kannan+The Title lets her do S-Loops with no stress all day, making it really easy to keep her front arc on target.

Imperials
"Quickdraw" — TIE/sf Fighter 29
Expertise 4
Fire-Control System 2
Pattern Analyzer 2
Lightweight Frame 2
Special Ops Training 0
Ship Total: 39

The Inquisitor — TIE Advanced Prototype 25
Push the Limit 3
Autothrusters 2
TIE/v1 1
Ship Total: 31

"Omega Leader" — TIE/fo Fighter 21
Juke 2
Comm Relay 3
Stealth Device 3
Ship Total: 29

QD just pumps out damage, Quis snipes from long range and harasses, and OL makes a disgusting flanker and harasser. Be careful not to let your opponent isolate any one element, but this is three good ships that work well.

Also, don't let your friend play 4 Wookies on casual nights. That's a dick move. 4 Wookies is insanely unfun, because the biggest weakness of the list is good flying. That's why they don't dominate the meta, but if you aren't able to outfly them they can destroy drat near anything. People at casual nights are not going to have the lists or the skills to let them take apart a 4 wookie list.

Wapole Languray fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 2, 2018

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Thanks for the ideas.

I've been a big fan of BB8 on Poe with weapon guidance ( I love being able to barrel roll and boost into position, out of enemy arcs, or around asteroids) and Rey with Finn and 3CPO, who helps slow how fast she gets killed somewhat. I'll try out that list though.

I should pull out the old striker and SF ships. it's been a while.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Don’t be afraid to ask friends to play within a certain range of rules for a casual game - I’ve had buddies say “X-Wings and TIEs only” or “No upgrades”. This game is first and foremost a kitchen table beer and pretzels game and has the parts for it be played as such.

It’s fine to say no to play against meta lists, unless you’re looking to specifically practice or help someone practice. In fact, that might be a great avenue. Have someone make a meta list for you to practice against them with. It’ll give you a chance to see how those lists play out.

Edit: Try switching out Weapons Guidance for Primed Thrusters if you have it. Being able to boost or barrel roll while stressed is a great way to reposition after doing the Tallon Rolls if you can.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ringo Star Get posted:

Don’t be afraid to ask friends to play within a certain range of rules for a casual game - I’ve had buddies say “X-Wings and TIEs only” or “No upgrades”. This game is first and foremost a kitchen table beer and pretzels game and has the parts for it be played as such.

It’s fine to say no to play against meta lists, unless you’re looking to specifically practice or help someone practice. In fact, that might be a great avenue. Have someone make a meta list for you to practice against them with. It’ll give you a chance to see how those lists play out.

Edit: Try switching out Weapons Guidance for Primed Thrusters if you have it. Being able to boost or barrel roll while stressed is a great way to reposition after doing the Tallon Rolls if you can.

Intensity + BB8 + Primed Thrusters + Autothrusters is a really fun Poe. He's hard to kill but can't just run away forever like regen Poe.

Frankly I think Regen is one of the worst mechanics in the game.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

canyoneer posted:

The Inquisitor (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)

"Pure Sabacc" (22)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Lightweight Frame (2)
Adaptive Ailerons (0)

"Howlrunner" (18)

Omega Leader (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Total: 100

I tweaked your list just a touch. This is pretty close to a list I’ve been running (swap Howlrunner for Mauler or Scourge, + Adaptability [+1]) and that’s it. OL straight up shuts down anyone adding an evade result, and Sabaac throwing 4 dice is going to push through damage sooner rather than later. Inq doesn’t care about your range bonuses, and Howlrunner can stay close to whoever needs a reroll (likely OL).

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
Flew the above list with the Mauler variant at Atlanta Regionals and finished ~20th. Fun and mean, doesn't have anything to say to Scum Nym though.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
Does anyone know what the ruling is with stealth device and TLT? The question came up if the first shot from the TLT hits a ship with stealth device, does that ship loose the stealth device for the 2nd TLT shot or does the stealth device go away after the 2nd TLT shot?

A couple of us saw it different ways b/c of the way both TLT shots are considered 1 attack. I am taking Ryad with stealth device to a local tournament this weekend and wanted to get the ruling straight.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TLT only needs to hit once for all other “if the attack hits” type effects, like Maul. Not sure how stealth device would be any different.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
You'd get the stealth device bonus for the second shot, based off of Maul only removed stress after both attacks have resolved.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

TLT only needs to hit once for all other “if the attack hits” type effects, like Maul. Not sure how stealth device would be any different.

Sorry, I understand that it only needs to hit once to loose the stealth device, I am wondering if I get to still roll 4 for the 2nd TLT shot.

Scenario:
1st TLT shot, they roll 3 hits, I roll 4 blanks.
2nd TLT shot, do I still roll 4 or do I now roll 3?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hoiyes posted:

You'd get the stealth device bonus for the second shot, based off of Maul only removed stress after both attacks have resolved.

Yeah, but if either hit, poof, it's gone at the end

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, but if either hit, poof, it's gone at the end

Right, I get that it is gone if either hit, I just wasn't clear on the timing window if I still get to roll 4 on the 2nd TLT shot if the 1st TLT shot hit.

So:
1. 1st TLT shot: They roll 3 attack dice, I roll 4 and blank out
2. 2nd TLT shot: They roll 3 attack dice, I still roll 4 b/c the "attack" still hasn't resolved.
3. Remove stealth device.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

In absence of a direct ruling, based on the precedence of other effects such as Maul, I'd say that is correct.

But check with your TO if you're doing this at a tournament.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
And people on the FFG board came to consensus that Stealth Device goes away after the first TLT attack, because Stealth Device is worded "if you are hit" not "after an attack that hits,". Harpoon Missles/condition use the "if you are hit by an attack' wording, and from my understanding, that can trigger between TLT shots. But I ain't referring to a flow chart to play plastic ships.

So really, FFG being FFG.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 3, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Their lack of a common lexicon for timing is easily the worst thing about this game, design-wise. Like 3/4ths of the FAQ exists because they used slightly different words for the same thing, words that ultimately don't mean the same thing, meaning in the end, those things that should be the same are not.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

enigmahfc posted:

And people on the FFG board came to consensus that Stealth Device goes away after the first TLT attack, because Stealth Device is worded "if you are hit" not "after an attack that hits,". Harpoon Missles/condition use the "if you are hit by an attack' wording, and from my understanding, that can trigger between TLT shots. But I ain't referring to a flow chart to play plastic ships.

So really, FFG being FFG.

Not really. When hit and after an attack are different timings.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

ConfusedUs posted:

Their lack of a common lexicon for timing is easily the worst thing about this game, design-wise. Like 3/4ths of the FAQ exists because they used slightly different words for the same thing, words that ultimately don't mean the same thing, meaning in the end, those things that should be the same are not.

It's really amazing that they're too cheap even at this point to hire contract out to a single technical writer to proofread all their rules documents and put together a style guide of sorts for future rules writing.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Some new info about Tie Reaper in here

Stop AND Segnors on the dial. Definitely an imperial shuttle with that almost trademark stop move, but the Segnors are a new thing for shuttles. If it's cheap enough, who knows, perhaps this is finally The crewed support craft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Because what the empire needs is another shuttle. :smug:

• Locked thread