Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

don't they typically use mercury for seeding

why bother with the physical network when you can sell that sweet sweet mercury

article says they're using silver iodide, which is whatever i guess

i really appreciate that just one degree of separation from this article is a headline that reads "greenpeace says china winning war on urban pollution" - as though you needed more proof that both china AND greenpeace are completely full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Coolguye posted:

i really appreciate that just one degree of separation from this article is a headline that reads "greenpeace says china winning war on urban pollution" - as though you needed more proof that both china AND greenpeace are completely full of poo poo.

Are you saying the shining beacon on the hill of the truth that is the South China Morning Post publishes falsehoods?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

To be fair, I'm sure Greenpeace would be okay with China saving the environment by wholesale slaughter of the rural peasantry, but the current policy of throwing them under the figurative bus to save face is kinda the same thing :shrug:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Went to the pharmacy to get some baby stuff today and I thought that I would take my 7 month old into Petland to see if he would get a kick out of the different animals they have there. A Chinese mother and her child were there and she lifted her ~2 year old son right into one of the Guinea pig pens to try and play with them. I was waiting for him to stomp on one of their skulls, but they were quick enough to steer clear of him. A minute later the mother overturned one of the rabbit shelters and grabbed a sleeping bunny by the ears and yanked it right off the ground. I don't know if anyone has ever heard a rabbit shriek, but it's something to hear.

Three employees came over and and told her not to handle the rabbits like that, but she just waved her hands in their faces while muttering something in mandarin about "just animals" and proceeded to have her kid pound on all of the aquariums.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Yeah, rabbits screaming is pretty creepy, fox whistles emulate the cry

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
China finally finding a use for all those backyard furnaces again. Obviously the end game here is to claim all the water in the Ganges is Chinese property because Who made that cloud?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

brocked posted:

China finally finding a use for all those backyard furnaces again. Obviously the end game here is to claim all the water in the Ganges is Chinese property because Who made that cloud?

I'm thinking that Xi's advisors have told him what I have been saying for years and they know they are absolutely hosed water wise 30-50 years down the road.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I thought that was extremely common knowledge tho

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

brocked posted:

I thought that was extremely common knowledge tho

One Child Policy, Great Leap Forward, War against the Four Pests, etc.

When there's nobody left who knows any better, or people that do know better also know to keep silent then even massive organizations like governments can blindly walk into huge debacles.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Coolguye posted:

Whoever wrote that was either remarkably high, or working off of propaganda leaflets.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
and here I thought they were investing heavily into nuclear power to run de desalinization plants

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Power Khan posted:

Whoever wrote that was either remarkably high, or working off of propaganda leaflets.

i was about to ask which article and then i realized the answer was just 'yes'

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Kharnifex posted:

Ahh mercury, sweetest of the transition metals

Hot Mercury is good for the body, don't you know?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

Hot Mercury is good for the body, don't you know?

Why do you think they filled Emperor Qin Shi Huangdi's tomb with the stuff?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
weren’t those tomb traps

like having a tripwire release a swinging axe or open a pit with a gelatinous cube

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Nope! Mercury was used to fashion a kind of microcosm of all of China with rivers, lakes and seas of shimmering mercury. The main chamber of the tomb supposedly contains a mercury model of the hundred rivers, the Yellow river and the Yangtze river, and the seas in such a way that they flowed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cry Havoc posted:

weren’t those tomb traps

like having a tripwire release a swinging axe or open a pit with a gelatinous cube

No. Story is his sarcophagus is on a map of China with mercury streams and lakes since water wouldn't last.

The hill above apparently has a quite high mercury concentration so the story might be true.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

He also drank mercury every day since he believed it would grant immortality. TCM joke here lol

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

McGavin posted:

Nope! Mercury was used to fashion a kind of microcosm of all of China with rivers, lakes and seas of shimmering mercury. The main chamber of the tomb supposedly contains a mercury model of the hundred rivers, the Yellow river and the Yangtze river, and the seas in such a way that they flowed.

are there any photos or anything?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

underage at the vape shop posted:

Afaik no. They can't figure out how to uproot and excavate everything without causing a natural disaster unleashing mercury everywhere, and refuse to ask for help in excavating. Plus they wouldn't be able or want to prevent looters from destroying and carrying off everything.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
i read a thing on china.org.cn bragging that his body was very well preserved because they found huge amounts of mercury in the soil near the tomb. loving hell china.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 3, 2018

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Apparently mercury makes an excellent laxitive as it just pushes everything through.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
mercury is just new emperor juice

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Eox posted:

mercury is just new emperor juice

Xi drinks a glass every morning.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So if you drank a full mug full of quicksilver how long before you rip out a grant heaping log?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
So many loser sexpats in this thread. Do you think Emperor Xi is stupid? He only eats mercury infused honey. Everyone knows that the qi life forces of the fast mercury and the slow honey balance each other out.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

imagine being so dumb that when some guy tells you to drink a potion to make you immortal your first question isn't "so where are the other immortals then?"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

imagine being so dumb that when some guy tells you to drink a potion to make you immortal your first question isn't "so where are the other immortals then?"
They all hosed off to chinese heaven, right? I thought that was canon that they all got immortal but then, you know, got bored and went to live with the gods in the sky where things are way cooler.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They all hosed off to chinese heaven, right? I thought that was canon that they all got immortal but then, you know, got bored and went to live with the gods in the sky where things are way cooler.

The process of becoming an immortal & transcending to heaven looks very much like becoming sick & dying, but the Emperor in his wisdom can surely discern.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

underage at the vape shop posted:

It hasn't been excavated because excavation is destructive and they want to wait until there's a less invasive way of exploring the tomb. If you leave it alone, it'll remain preserved--same reason about a quarter of Pompeii hasn't been dug yet.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The site is also incredibly contaminated with mercury.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
It's 2018, send in a drone swarm and map it out like the scanners in Prometheus.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
They used some cool imaging hardware/software to find stuff in Cambodia recently, wonder if they can do that

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

LOL

Darkest Auer posted:

So many loser sexpats in this thread. Do you think Emperor Xi is stupid? He only eats mercury infused honey. Everyone knows that the qi life forces of the fast mercury and the slow honey balance each other out.
I eat a lot of lentils, take a zinc pill daily, and don't drink alcohol. I have discovered the key to an immortal boner.

Or, maybe it's because foreigners only eat bread.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah they’re worried about loving something up. The terra-cotta warriors were painted when they dug them up and the paint started fading as soon as it was exposed to air again and uh whoops

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
There was also the Ming Tombs outside Beijing where most of the original artifacts were destroyed because they were left in leaky storage rooms during the Cultural Revolution. And then the Red Guard dragged the remains of one of the Ming emperors and empresses to undergo a struggle session a la Cadaver Synod and then burned them.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

CIGNX posted:

There was also the Ming Tombs outside Beijing where most of the original artifacts were destroyed because they were left in leaky storage rooms during the Cultural Revolution. And then the Red Guard dragged the remains of one of the Ming emperors and empresses to undergo a struggle session a la Cadaver Synod and then burned them.

I love to imagine the logic (or lack thereof) of the Red guard during their hey-days of lunacy, where whatever they imagined went (assuming you had enough idiots to agree with you). There was even a point in the cultural revolution where the red guard wanted to switch the stoplights so that Red meant "go".

http://nowiknow.com/the-communist-stop-light/

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

McGavin posted:

In an unintended positive note, they now emulate the actual rivers far more accurately than if they had used water.

Pham Nuwen posted:

The process of becoming an immortal & transcending to heaven looks very much like becoming sick & dying, but the Emperor in his wisdom can surely discern.

Vae, puto deus fio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Blistex posted:

I love to imagine the logic (or lack thereof) of the Red guard during their hey-days of lunacy, where whatever they imagined went (assuming you had enough idiots to agree with you). There was even a point in the cultural revolution where the red guard wanted to switch the stoplights so that Red meant "go".

http://nowiknow.com/the-communist-stop-light/

Part of the logic behind these harebrained schemes was to come up with the most "red" scheme in order to prove yourself sufficiently revolutionary, which meant you could gain power and influence. If I remember correctly, there were times where one side who had the most "red" idea would then claim a rival faction was counter-revolutionary and revisionist for failing to think up the "red" idea themselves. At best the loser falls out of favor, but more likely they would suffer a struggle session and then possibly be executed

So you'd get this competition to prove who was the most hardcore communist among very cynical and greedy people, with the loser having a reasonable chance of getting killed.

• Locked thread