Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

MHW definitely has more than a tinge of colonialism compared to the older games, since we're explicitly exploring and pacifying a wild untamed frontier in the interests of science.

Older games generally had you as the local area's newest or only guild hunter to deal with monsters so the local villagers could live in relative peace. Moga Island had frequent earthquakes that turned out to be an elder dragon grinding its fast-growing horn against the rock. 4U had you going along with a caravan and dealing with the problems of various villages, culminating in investigating an outbreak of a disease that afflicted wyverns as well as hunters that threatened to send wyverns into a frenzy and make them incredibly dangerous not just to settlements but also the local ecosystem.

MHW does talk about not overhunting and trying to preserve some balance in the ecosystem but there's always going to be that disconnect due to the monster grinding as well as the fact that this is a new settlement built up to research and exploit the new world, just not crazy unrestrained capitalism levels of exploitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm going to gut every last one of those monsters until they cough up the gems. First the tails, then the world. I will drive Bazelgeuse into extinction. I know capturing yields better rewards, but I refuse to let that jerk draw any more breath.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

driving bazelgeuse to extinction could only be a net positive for the world

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

puking pentagrams posted:

Anyone else feel sorta bad when you slay monsters? I’ve been getting all my optionals done and there’s plenty of arena quests and those are mandatory slayings I’m pretty sure. I try to capture everything for the most part because some of these creatures are so well designed and beautiful.

My head cannon for the arena mons are that they ended up being trouble monsters. The black Diablos impaled a couple of researchers and the Legania ate someones palicoes or something.

I accidentally killed my first bagel after capturing dozens the other day with a vicious pubbie group. Little guy was even a small crown. Im so sorry little guy :negative:

I've hunted/captured every creature at least 10 times cept dodogama who've I only captured once and that's it, cause he's a total bro :3:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

And Tyler Too! posted:

I'm going to gut every last one of those monsters until they cough up the gems. First the tails, then the world. I will drive Bazelgeuse into extinction. I know capturing yields better rewards, but I refuse to let that jerk draw any more breath.

Manatee Cannon posted:

driving bazelgeuse to extinction could only be a net positive for the world

y'all the true monsters :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I remember my biology teacher going on a rant about how ticks were worthless to the environment and them dying out could only be a net benefit to everything they interact with and I think about it every time I get carpet bombed

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Kulu just wants to eat eggs and chill. He's no threat to anyone and has the saddest limp animation ever. Agree on friendship photographer and eats rocks and maybe crayons lizard.

I half expect to get special mail after every hunt Tzi Tzi showed up in with the header "Your Prints are Ready!!" and it's just a photo from whenever TT shows up mid fight to flash everyone.

I always capture these monsters for this reason. They're too cute, I don't want to kill them, and the researchers assure me they get rehabilitated and released into the wild later...

And if they're lying I'll see if wyverians can be made into a nice hat.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...
I was in a hunt last night for a Bazel in the Coral Highlands we had him on the ropes. In comes our favorite pickle, the whole pub team moves back to give them room to fight. Before they even agro on each other a Tzi jumps in a flashes them both and sticks around for a fight.

All three of them are duking it out as we all move in just a bit closer to get a better look with none of them seeming to give a gently caress about us. Emotes were exchanged, someone got on the chat and wrote out "That Tziki tho", I could not stop laughing. He bolted and we dunged pickle to get back to the fight. The three way death matches monsters get into are fierce.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just had time run out for the Deviljho assignment. I wasted a lot of resources on him too, but his constant side-tackles and jumping attacks won out in the end. I usually try to capture the monsters but when the time comes I'm putting that pickle in the ground.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I want them to throw an eggbro and a photobro into a map and give them special AI where they just path around to all of the nests, flash whatever's guarding the nests, and run off with the eggs.

In other words, they need to be LARPing their own heist movie in every single map together.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The big twist in MonHun is that you're actually part of a wildlife preservation and conservation team, and the 'hunting' primarily focuses on Elder Dragons. In one of the anime there's a scene where the protag and their little sidekick find a dead monster and the sidekick is all "Think a Hunter did this?" "No, Hunters don't kill unless absolutely necessary, something weird is going on here"

Heck, the second fight with Zorah is essentially the equivalent of trying to shoo out a bear with noisemakers and the occasional taser gun.

You're Steve Irwin pacifying crocodiles with a drum set on a stick, basically.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Manatee Cannon posted:

I remember my biology teacher going on a rant about how ticks were worthless to the environment and them dying out could only be a net benefit to everything they interact with and I think about it every time I get carpet bombed

This would actually be an interesting direction for them to go with the whole World thing. What monsters hate each other the most? Which are better at fighting others? How do the endemic life and smaller monsters fit into the ecology?

Right now small monsters and endemic life might as well not be there 99% of the time and big monster fights are kind of random and flailing. Knowing how that stuff fits together and using it to your advantage could be really cool!

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You murder things indiscriminately for the sake of "science", so really this game is an apologia for Japan's whaling industry.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Flytrap posted:

The big twist in MonHun is that you're actually part of a wildlife preservation and conservation team, and the 'hunting' primarily focuses on Elder Dragons. In one of the anime there's a scene where the protag and their little sidekick find a dead monster and the sidekick is all "Think a Hunter did this?" "No, Hunters don't kill unless absolutely necessary, something weird is going on here"

Heck, the second fight with Zorah is essentially the equivalent of trying to shoo out a bear with noisemakers and the occasional taser gun.

You're Steve Irwin pacifying crocodiles with a drum set on a stick, basically.

Hey it’s NECESSARY that I kill this lizard and carve its skin off to make some pants

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I was feeling very confident in my abilities after farming Nerg for a while and took a Dodogama quest without eating. He carted me the first time and Bazel came in and carted me the second. I won, but only barely. That little turd lizard does more damage than he seems like he would be able to.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

My dear Palico has helped me make some arts!

Measuring roughly 5"x5", this a-meow-zing hand-stitched portrait of the Meowster of Max Gains can belong to you! I'll be finding him a lovely frame and then putting him in the SAMart for a whopping $15 + shipping and handling. You can PM me if you want to reserve him for yourself, nya!

Will link to SAMart once thread is posted. Sorry to be an absolute shill!

Edit: Price correction.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 3, 2018

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I assume the meat is being eaten and the parts being used. Hence, only getting your carves and some of the rewards.

The handler alone could eat a few kulus a day, may she never be sated.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I assume the meat is being eaten and the parts being used. Hence, only getting your carves and some of the rewards.

The handler alone could eat a few kulus a day, may she never be sated.

She definitely ate that deviljho.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I also assume you're sharing with all the cat friends you make so they have a good reason to team up with you

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I just want everyone that captures bazelgeuse's to know that captured monsters are totally murdered for science/swole cat cooking too

they should make a cooking game about that cat

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Everything Burrito posted:

I also assume you're sharing with all the cat friends you make so they have a good reason to team up with you

Those sausages have to come from somewhere.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Learned something today: If you are in a SOS and the internet drops, you stay, everyone disappears but apparently the monster multiplayer health doesn't reset.
I just spent what seemed like forever fighting a big rear end Kush. I seriously went through like 20 flash pods.

Only a silver large crown though :(

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Malaria posted:

Learned something today: If you are in a SOS and the internet drops, you stay, everyone disappears but apparently the monster multiplayer health doesn't reset.
I just spent what seemed like forever fighting a big rear end Kush. I seriously went through like 20 flash pods.

Only a silver large crown though :(

This happened to me on my first time out on the double tempered Bazelgeuse quest. One guy joined, and one of our connection's dropped right as we were approaching the first bagel. This was back when I didn't have a huge stockpile of buffs and I had already taken them, so I decided to stick it out and see how it went. Long story short, I managed to have the second bagel limping/flying away with what appeared to be one minute left on the clock (now that I know, I believe it starts flashing red at 5 minutes?) I chased after it, thinking the timer was gonna run out, but made chase just in case -- I ended up killing it with like 2 more shots when I got there, with like 12 seconds to spare. One of my favorite moments of this game!

But on the other hand yeah they needed to fix that poo poo months ago.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I have like 20 tempered ED investigations and not a single tier 2 tempered investigation. Tier 1's are pointless so I just nuke them.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

(click for audio)

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

And Tyler Too! posted:

I have like 20 tempered ED investigations and not a single tier 2 tempered investigation. Tier 1's are pointless so I just nuke them.

Streamstone shards are consistent drops from t1 investigations and you need them for rare6 augs.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Magus42 posted:

(click for audio)

pro click

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

enojy posted:

This happened to me on my first time out on the double tempered Bazelgeuse quest. One guy joined, and one of our connection's dropped right as we were approaching the first bagel. This was back when I didn't have a huge stockpile of buffs and I had already taken them, so I decided to stick it out and see how it went. Long story short, I managed to have the second bagel limping/flying away with what appeared to be one minute left on the clock (now that I know, I believe it starts flashing red at 5 minutes?) I chased after it, thinking the timer was gonna run out, but made chase just in case -- I ended up killing it with like 2 more shots when I got there, with like 12 seconds to spare. One of my favorite moments of this game!

But on the other hand yeah they needed to fix that poo poo months ago.

Oh ye sweet summer child. :allears:

Back in my day high rank and G rank didn't scale down for single player. :corsair:

Taking less than 3 quests to kill an elder solo feels weird.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Magus42 posted:

(click for audio)

:bisonyes:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Magus42 posted:

(click for audio)

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Argas posted:

MHW definitely has more than a tinge of colonialism compared to the older games, since we're explicitly exploring and pacifying a wild untamed frontier in the interests of science.

Older games generally had you as the local area's newest or only guild hunter to deal with monsters so the local villagers could live in relative peace. Moga Island had frequent earthquakes that turned out to be an elder dragon grinding its fast-growing horn against the rock. 4U had you going along with a caravan and dealing with the problems of various villages, culminating in investigating an outbreak of a disease that afflicted wyverns as well as hunters that threatened to send wyverns into a frenzy and make them incredibly dangerous not just to settlements but also the local ecosystem.

MHW does talk about not overhunting and trying to preserve some balance in the ecosystem but there's always going to be that disconnect due to the monster grinding as well as the fact that this is a new settlement built up to research and exploit the new world, just not crazy unrestrained capitalism levels of exploitation.

Beg to differ:

Astroniomix posted:

It's only ever mentioned once by one of the NPCs but the driving force for the commission was the elder crossing. At first it happened only once every 100 years, but then suddenly it ramps up and the elders start crossing every 10, which is what prompted the expedition.

So it's less about colonialism and more about "why are all the giant murderbeasts going really really fast all of the sudden?"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

After the Commission 'solves' the mystery of the Elder Crossing the Guild even tells them to pack it up and come home. Most of them don't because there is still science to be done.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

SettingSun posted:

After the Commission 'solves' the mystery of the Elder Crossing the Guild even tells them to pack it up and come home. Most of them don't because there is still science to be done.

We all know they haven't solved poo poo. :colbert:

Brine
Aug 3, 2007
I apparently got a handicraft decoration at some point and didn’t notice, which let me do the following:

Fiendish tower lance (affinity and health regen augment)
Head: dragon king eyepatch (handicraft deco)
Chest: Bazel chest (iron wall and grinder)
Kaiser Vambraces (guard up)
Nergi belt (sharp)
Xeno’jiiva legs (2x vitality)
Attack charm

Fiendish tower only needs the one handicraft to get to white sharpness, so with protective polish I can keep it at white pretty much constantly. I might swap out one of the vitality gems for another grinder because health regeneration augments seem to work really well on the lance. Is there something here I can improve in some way? Only thing I can think of is swapping out the nerg belt and attack charm for a Bazel belt and earplug charm, but roars aren’t a giant issue on lance unless it happens when i’m charging.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m only missing crowns for Girros from the RV event. I’m so loving glad I can now safely ignore Bagel forever.

Remember that Bagel will never ignore you.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Are decorations completely RNG? It seems like the only stuff I get is +element attack, +defense, +element resist. Stuff that seems like you wouldn't ever use it but it fills a slot in the meantime because its "low rank".

I'm at the story quest where I have to fight two tempered bazel's, if that means anything. Just not sure if reaching some arbitrary progression point unlocks different decoration drops.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

suuma posted:

Are decorations completely RNG? It seems like the only stuff I get is +element attack, +defense, +element resist. Stuff that seems like you wouldn't ever use it but it fills a slot in the meantime because its "low rank".

I'm at the story quest where I have to fight two tempered bazel's, if that means anything. Just not sure if reaching some arbitrary progression point unlocks different decoration drops.

There’s 3 tiers of decoration drops, based on the tier of tempered investigation you have. Tier 1 drops that type of stuff, you’ll need to find higher tier tempered monsters. Tempered elders, for example, are tier 3.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

suuma posted:

Are decorations completely RNG? It seems like the only stuff I get is +element attack, +defense, +element resist. Stuff that seems like you wouldn't ever use it but it fills a slot in the meantime.

There are 3 tiers of decos, and within those tiers more secret tiers of rarity. Right now you're getting T1 gems since all your tempered fights are against T1 monsters. Go do double Goose and you'll start getting T2 tempered quests (you can tell because they require HR30). Those drop the second tier of gems, which most people consider the workhorse ones.

Once you get to HR49 you unlock a quest for tempered Kirin. Beat that and you unlock tempered Elder dragons, which drop the third tier of gems alongside a much greater chance of the spellstones that let you do weapon and armor augmenting.

It is a a gigantic RNG grind, but you had to get to the gigantic RNG grind portion of the game at some point. Once you beat tempered Kirin, unlock the tempered elders, then beat them, you can say you've tackled everything the game has to throw at you. Then it's just min-maxing.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

suuma posted:

This video sums it up
https://youtu.be/OFlf2YVuhQs

But basically you only get mysterious feystones until you start doing tempered quests, which you unlock after the dual tempered Bezel quest you mentioned. And mysterious feystones will only get you low tier decorations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Cool I kind of figured it was broken into tiers, thanks.

There's so much to do in this game, my god.

suuma fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 3, 2018