Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Jay Rust posted:

Every full-time streamer is a dumb obnoxious weirdo. Trust me, I know about these things.

What I find much weirder than full-time streamers are their full-time, unpaid moderators. I'm so curious as to what the lives of those people are like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

What I find much weirder than full-time streamers are their full-time, unpaid moderators. I'm so curious as to what the lives of those people are like.

They’re the equivalent of the dumpy kids who follow around the popular kids and do whatever they want because they get to be included in the group

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
What kind of insurance do streamers have? GoFundMe?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

What kind of insurance do streamers have?

Their parents'.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

Their parents'.

Yeah in most cases I'd guess it's either this or "none"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Insurance is for stuffy old people with boring full-time jobs, it has no place in this new exciting world of living off app gigs and internet charity

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is Kiryu eating dollar bills

How is he investing in himself. I'm confused by the yakuza

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I was curious how much healthcare would cost at various levels of income and full time streamers who aren't millionaires like PewDiePie absolutely need to be tax savvy to survive. Donations aren't income and therefor not taxable so your healthcare tax credit can score you some (lovely) healthcare for less than a hundred bucks a month. Don't get in a car accident or anything but you can at least see a doctor for your carpal tunnel and migraines after playing Fortnite for 32 hours straight.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

are donations true donations or do they go to twitch first, who then writes you a cheque. would they still be donations for you at that point

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is Kiryu eating dollar bills

How is he investing in himself. I'm confused by the yakuza

Its an 80's thing

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVqw03zMF0Q&t=20s

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

I was curious how much healthcare would cost at various levels of income and full time streamers who aren't millionaires like PewDiePie absolutely need to be tax savvy to survive. Donations aren't income and therefor not taxable so your healthcare tax credit can score you some (lovely) healthcare for less than a hundred bucks a month. Don't get in a car accident or anything but you can at least see a doctor for your carpal tunnel and migraines after playing Fortnite for 32 hours straight.

It's also less of a concern for Canadians and Europeans since their national health care will cover the "essentials" while optional private insurance is more for covering dentistry (at least in Canada) as well as perks like cheaper medication (which is already well below US pricing), better hospital rooms and stuff like that.

Real hurthling! posted:

Its an 80's thing

The 80's in Japan were possibly crazier with money than the US financial sectors were at the same time. poo poo was nuts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Twitch donations are independent contractor income so actually in the US they have to pay the self-employment income tax on it

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I guess LEGO Incredibles doesn’t seem that bad.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also this is a good reminder for US goons that tax day is this month!

PYF taxes in games

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Twitch donations are independent contractor income so actually in the US they have to pay the self-employment income tax on it

I know Twitch has its own integrated system but there's got to be people with some backdoor paypal they just barely advertise.

But I guess the other income of being a popular streamer are free gifts and paid sponsorships.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think those donations are called "tax evasion"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RIP Phil Hartman

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

PYF taxes in games

Yakuza's hostess clubs have a pretty convoluted fee structure which is essentially taxes (service fee, cover charge).

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Soul tax you have to pay to level up after killing the emerald herald in dark souls 2

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think those donations are called "tax evasion"

This beautiful country was founded on dodging taxes it's the goddamn American way :911:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My 'lil bro has been hemming and hawwing about getting into streaming part-time, since his work schedule often gives him 3-4 days off at a time, usually with him sleeping during the day. I think he's hoping to do it as more of a social outlet than anything else. I told him just don't be an rear end in a top hat and have interesting things to say about the game and it'll be fun. I hope it's ok advice, I'm starting to think maybe insulting your viewers is the key to untold riches

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Apparently Ubi has a PR line wrt the FC5 ending about how it's explained by incidental dialogue throughout the game, the issue being that it's incredibly easy to miss with any playstyle other than driving with the radio on.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the best taxes are in stronghold crusader because at every notch of the slider the peasants say something funny

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

PYF taxes in games

Gotta love how you can just jack up the taxes on that screen, getting a big payout, and then immediately lower them so you avoid people fleeing the city.

Not a Children posted:

I'm starting to think maybe insulting your viewers is the key to untold riches

It definitely is if you're a findom. Maybe that would be a better type of streaming to get into?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Somehow I had no idea the lead designer on Telltale's Batman is Michael Kirkbride of all people. Does that game at least have good writing?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

A not insignificant number of semi-pro streamers are probably claimed as dependents any way.

A little surprised I didn't find someone streaming themselves doing their taxes. I guess we aren't there yet.

e:

Nina posted:

Somehow I had no idea the lead designer on Telltale's Batman is Michael Kirkbride of all people. Does that game at least have good writing?
Yeah, I thought it was alright.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

are donations true donations or do they go to twitch first, who then writes you a cheque. would they still be donations for you at that point

I believe they're donations, which is why they added Twitch Bits so twitch could get a bigger cut off the people using their service. I only know this because aris bitched about Bits constantly and poo poo talked twitch's business practice up until like 8 days ago suddenly where he turned on Bit donations and says I love Twitch. whenever someone donates Bits. I imagine it's a lovely business practice but also streamers are like the opposite of an organized labor force considering 100% of their work is done at the behest of a single corporate entity that could turn their lights off at a moments notice

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

PantsBandit posted:

I've never come across a Twitch streamer that tries super hard to be edgy (maybe soda poppin' sometimes?)

Check out Trihex, CobaltStreak, or Richard Hammer.

The only time I’ve paid attention to a Twitch stream was a friend checking out some Binding of Isaac runs while we were hanging out. The dude didn’t say anything weird for donations, though he got a bunch and said thanks, though he basically kept using the phrase “cum on their face” when he killed stuff. I don’t get the appeal at all. :shrug:

Then again while hanging out with that same friend I also got so trashed I could barely stand up, then accidentally found and beat one of BoI’s secret superbosses, so I’m probably not the target audience for watching other people play video games. I’d rather just do it myself. :v:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

al-azad posted:

Lol where the hell would you get the idea that they aren't taxed on their stream revenue? They are, and probably at a way higher rate than anybody with a normal old W-2 job

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The action in Tomb Raider Legend is real fun but the story is the most ridiculous Dark Souls weirdness. I just wanna spend my time shooting cheetahs and climbing on ruins, I don't need your ghost demons :argh:

Once again the needs of the transgendered community are ignored :smith:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0m2HdMMx9c

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So what do you actually do in all these Yakuza games?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Run a gentleman's club

e: also go bowling and punch dudes

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Mo7U0XSFo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REhHoRmNxAw

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Skypie posted:

I think I may have convinced my friend to play Monster Prom.

It seems like it'll be a very good game to play when you have friends over and want an activity but not like a super involved one

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jay Rust posted:

https://twitter.com/Camperjon/status/905632458485276674?s=19

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I started playing GTA San Andreas again over the weekend. I'm playing the Steam version with a comprehensive "downgrade" package applied that reverts the version to 1.0 and then stacks unofficial patches and graphics mods on top of that.

It's a very slick package that includes a X input wrapper with Dual Shock button prompts so that my DS4 works just like it should without any loving around in the game's options.

I'm still missing some QoL mods though, and the GTA mod scene is still inscrutable to me.

Does anybody know if there are some good San Andreas mods out there that do stuff like increase the variety of car spawns, or the number of them? I'd also like things like autosaves or letting me keep my weapons after being wasted. Just little things that make the game a bit nicer to play, but don't change anything important.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Serious answer: it's an over-the-shoulder beat-em-up where you play an impossibly-physically-strong dude working his way up in the Yakuza ranks across the series of games. Despite some gruesome "finishers" not dissimilar from the X-Ray moves in the more recent Mortal Kombat games, all fights that you win effectively end with a bunch of winded guys going "this...guy...is...inhuman!" and running off. The main storyline is extremely cutscene-heavy and really big on Yakuza :decorum: and there's a lot of Japanese-style battles of wits. The main storyline is mostly serious but does delve into some downright anime levels of silliness a lot, too, and this is amplified through the optional side missions and other extra content, of which there is a lot of all kinds (racing electronic pocket racer cars, chicken races, various kinds of fishing, patronizing hostess clubs, gang wars, working out at the gym, karaoke, and of course SEGA arcades with year-appropriate playable SEGA titles like Taiko Drum Master and Virtua Fighter). In the story missions, you will fight enemies and they will become your friends. Then you will likely fight them again several times. You will fight all your friends and they will still be your friends. Your characters overall have this Robin Hood level of generosity which makes for some very weird story elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

No one actually told Kiryu what the yakuza do and he's constantly shocked and appalled about it.

• Locked thread