Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Film Brain left CA

http://filmbrainbmb.tumblr.com/post/172554848252/i-have-left-channel-awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Still feeling I'm gonna wind up guessing right on this.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

It's been two hours and they still haven't scrubbed him from the site yet. They must be busy doing communcatings or something.

Oh, and who wants to bet that, now that Allison has pointed out the CA Gootube channel has lost 1000 subs so far-- that suddenly and magically the channel will get +10k subs all at once (or however many bots Mush-head is willing to buy).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I don't think Fallout 3 is a bad game? Sorry. Same for Skyrim. They exist to be explored and if you enjoy exploring them, they have succeeded at their entire reason for being. Neither is close to perfect, and I can think of a lot of ways I'd improve them, but they delivered everything I wanted in an RPG. Namely roleplaying in a cool fictional world.

And I just want to sate that I think New Vegas is a better game than 3 in a lot of ways. But there's something about the Capital Wasteland - the environmental storytelling in it, the constant random encounters, etc. - that made me love it to this day. In New Vegas you just stroll on down the road to New Vegas and everything is mostly fine. In 3, you make a wrong turn and wind up in an Enclave camp with a Deathclaw and then also a Giant Radscorpion wanders into the fray. That was literally my first ever encounter with a Deathclaw. It's a cherished gaming memory for me and NV has nothing really like it. (I mostly remember story stuff for NV)
In NV you can easily walk into an area near the starting town where you can quickly get murdered by wildlife.

I enjoyed all three games, but I would put FO3 last because of the weak main story, bad ending that had to be corrected by DLC, and fewer interesting environments.

I would also say that FO4 has the weakest DLC of the three. Far Harbor was the best to me, but Automatron was eh and Nuka World was alright but not amazing. Compare those to what they did with NV (particularly Old World Blues) and 3 (all of them except Anchorage), and it’s disappointing. Instead of extra story stuff they focused on those extra armor/building packs.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

NikkolasKing posted:

Have the old Fallout purist crowd given up labeling FO3 as the worst video game in history then? Is FO4 seen as worse?

FO3 is still pretty abysmal, somehow the story got worse in 4 but the shootman bits were better and the map was a lot better.

Just farm out all the writing to someone else and use the core gameplay in 4 and you'd have a pretty fun game.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would also say that FO4 has the weakest DLC of the three.

Also yeah, NV wins the DLC spread by far, some people disliked Dead Money for what I think is a dumb reason (But my godmode geeear!) and Lonesome Road needed a bit more build up, but they all had great parts, they were new places to go, had neat characters, new weapons and junk to play around with, all good from my experience.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 3, 2018

Failin Porte_Potty
Apr 4, 2017

Pounded in the Butt by an Outhouse Pretending to be an Internet Reviewer.
By Chuck Tingle

lornekates posted:

It's been two hours and they still haven't scrubbed him from the site yet. They must be busy doing communcatings or something.

Oh, and who wants to bet that, now that Allison has pointed out the CA Gootube channel has lost 1000 subs so far-- that suddenly and magically the channel will get +10k subs all at once (or however many bots Mush-head is willing to buy).

You'd think Mushboy would just upload Doug's brainwaves and make them an infinite number of simpleton WareHawk bots. He's got all the lack of personality for it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Lindsay Ellis on Part 2 of 2 of The Hobbit 3-Parter that should have been a 2-Parter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElPJr_tKkO4

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

EDIT: gently caress oyu, ninja
My first thought when I saw the trailer for Hobbit 3 was "Where did literally any of this come from." I proceeded to never see the movie and I'm glad of it

NikkolasKing posted:

In New Vegas you just stroll on down the road to New Vegas and everything is mostly fine

In New Vegas you have to take the long way around to New Vegas because if you try to make a beeline for it you will get mauled by high-level enemies.
Which is good design because it actually compliments how the story is framed, where you're making a journey to New Vegas to find who shot you. Going to New Vegas is naturally tantalizing so you will naturally want to go there, and in making your way there you will naturally engage with the main story beats and find things to explore and quests to do off the beaten path. Instead of the main story being something you start doing and then ignore for the rest of the game to aimlessly wander the wasteland, the story drives the exploration.

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 3, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think I had read that certain options were cut out of FO4, like making peace with all factions? Because as it is in FO4, you have to piss someone off to finish the story, whether it is the Institute, Brotherhood, Minutemen, or Railroad.

The closest you can get is everyone except the Institute.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Lindsay Ellis on Part 2 of 2 of The Hobbit 3-Parter that should have been a 2-Parter:

Poor GDT can never catch a break most of the time :smith:

Yardbomb posted:

Also yeah, NV wins the DLC spread by far, some people disliked Dead Money for what I think is a dumb reason (But my godmode geeear!) and Lonesome Road needed a bit more build up, but they all had great parts, they were new places to go, had neat characters, new weapons and junk to play around with, all good from my experience.
Honest Hearts was my favorite and did exactly what Ropekid wanted, to get people to go his favorite family vacation spot (though I spent time in Bryce Canyon when I was in the conservation corp, still eventually went Zion in the end though)

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 3, 2018

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

I really liked the NV Dlc and was invested in the through-line narrative in all of them leading up to Lonesome road, similarly with the Lost Crowns dlc in Dark Souls 2 which I also really liked.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I think what really sells the NV dlc is that they were all very different experiences each with a mostly self contained story.

The Bethesda Fallout dlcs on the other hand mostly felt like more of the base game (though I will say Far Harbor actually comes pretty close to the NV ones if it didn't have those weird memory sections.)

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

I think what really sells the NV dlc is that they were all very different experiences each with a mostly self contained story.

That and like I said, the connecting thread of Courier 6 being involved in each dlc, building up to the fated confrontation at The Divide

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

No disputing NV had the best DLC because they all flow pretty naturally from the main game (you first hear about the other Courier in Primm, you hear about Father Eiljah from Veronica, you hear about the Burned Man from Caesar) and they all reinforce the central themes of the game. Chris Avellone has been telling RPG players they are stupid since KOTOR 2 and I loved it. Whether it's getting enslaved in Dead Money or losing your brain in Old World Blues, the Courier bumbles into easily avoidable situations because that's what being an RPG protagonist is kinda all about. One person can change the world and it's often for the worse.

Plus if you do all the DLCs you end up way overpowered. I finished NV with ease compared to FO3.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 3, 2018

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

achillesforever6 posted:

Poor GDT can never catch a break most of the time :smith:

He finally got those Oscars, at least. :unsmith:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I really hated most of the New Vegas dlc, it's that terrible Chris Avellone "cleverness" which is nowhere near as clever as he thinks it is. Honest Hearts is especially guilty of this, it's this awkward contrived situation just to set up a moral choice that makes no sense.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought Avellone wasn't the lead writer on honest Hearts.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I guess that new thread isn't going to come so soon.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Kind of futile to wait for the drama to die down.

The drama never dies down.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I hated how Lonesome Road suddenly started introducing the protagonist's backstory right before the end, when they'd been a near total blank slate before then.

Still a great game overall, but that was definately a low point.

Edit: corrected the name of the dlc.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 3, 2018

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

lornekates posted:

But Tony *WARNED* them, he loving WARNED them-- in between tweets calling Allison a hysterical female with a chip on her shoulder.

Why didn't they listed to me, TONY, their #1 buddy-bro friend dude, who they totally don't mock behind close doors and call me a asskis-- bleh, sorry just a second. {picks a brown fleck out from between his teeth a flicks it away}-- sorry, nugget leftover from the last rimjob session-- anyways, they totally don't call me an asskisser.

I guess this means I'll have to take a MORAL and DECISIVE stance, now that I've seen the light!

I might need to spend another few months "thinking" about this, for "reasons" that have nothing to do with being in the 10th Anniversary Movie.
I came here to post this. It's amazing that he ironically isn't addressing the fact that he basically called Allison an overreacting drama queen for being vocal about abuse that he very much doubted despite retweeting a lot of #MeToo poo poo.
And suuuure this didn't have anything to do with CA at all because you were above the drama this whole time.
https://twitter.com/tonygoldmark/status/977845645238140928

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What does it mean to have a "reason" to love someone?

Also poor GDT :(

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sarcopenia posted:

I came here to post this. It's amazing that he ironically isn't addressing the fact that he basically called Allison an overreacting drama queen for being vocal about abuse that he very much doubted despite retweeting a lot of #MeToo poo poo.
And suuuure this didn't have anything to do with CA at all because you were above the drama this whole time.
https://twitter.com/tonygoldmark/status/977845645238140928

Now I’m not saying Tony Goldmark deserves to have an entire shipping box full of dildos delivered to his front door one day... but it would certainly be funny if it did happen.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Up until now, I've never seen what Mike Michaud looks like, but somebody linked to his page on the Channel Awesome Wiki...

:regd09:

Bakeneko posted:

I hated how Honest Hearts suddenly started introducing the protagonist's backstory right before the end, when they'd been a near total blank slate before then.

Still a great game overall, but that was definately a low point.

I don't recall that from the end of Honest Hearts, but in general, I wasn't really keen on Lonesome Road. Not only does it feel like the weakest of the expansions, but the fact that say that you were responsible for the Divide's destruction was sort of annoying, since it tramples over any kind of backstory you might've had for your character.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Plague of Mikes

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Max Wilco posted:

Up until now, I've never seen what Mike Michaud looks like, but somebody linked to his page on the Channel Awesome Wiki...

:regd09:

Looks like the kinda guy you'd see at a Nazi Alt-Right rally.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
He looks like a talking head on some low-rent simulation game, or the illustration for a character in a horror-themed tabletob game.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I don't recall that from the end of Honest Hearts, but in general, I wasn't really keen on Lonesome Road. Not only does it feel like the weakest of the expansions, but the fact that say that you were responsible for the Divide's destruction was sort of annoying, since it tramples over any kind of backstory you might've had for your character.

Yeah, sorry, i meant Lonesome Road. Haven't played it in years so I got the names mixed up.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
"You're a courier, you couriered a thing. "

How does that ruin anything that the main storyline also didn't ruin by having you be a courier?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do appreciate that at every interaction with Ulysses you can just tell him he's full of poo poo and you've never been to the Divide before.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I do appreciate that at every interaction with Ulysses you can just tell him he's full of poo poo and you've never been to the Divide before.

i appreciate lonesome road for what it tried to do, it obviously didn't work for a lot of people, but i think it was worth experimenting with. i think poe's 'visions of your past life' story thread was a kind of successor experiment that worked a little a better

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I don't think Fallout 3 is a bad game? Sorry. Same for Skyrim. They exist to be explored and if you enjoy exploring them, they have succeeded at their entire reason for being. Neither is close to perfect, and I can think of a lot of ways I'd improve them, but they delivered everything I wanted in an RPG. Namely roleplaying in a cool fictional world.

I mean, the problem with the games isn’t that they’re bad at presenting exploration for the player to do. The problem with them is that they’re serious technical messes with terrible writing so most of the value that comes from the experience is what the player makes from it, not what the developers actually built.

I can’t objectively prove that Fallout 3 and 4 aren’t well written (they are objectively technically deficient tho), but I’m just saying that “this game is bad” isn’t the same as “I don’t like this game.” I mostly enjoyed my time with Fallout 4 for all its faults, and it was the settlement system that ultimately drove me away, not the terrible writing.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, that's probably it. I think I must've misremembered the length a bit; it's been a while since I last really even thought about 'em.

You might be thinking of this one by MisterCaption, which is 3 hours. Dude dropped off youtube so this is a mirror: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7lIwBi9kKo

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/flyinggoblinman/status/981003413386248192

Bakeneko posted:

Yeah, sorry, i meant Lonesome Road. Haven't played it in years so I got the names mixed up.

I've done that, too. They do make mention of Ulysses in all of the DLCs, so I thought maybe there was an explicit reference to something at the end of Honest Hearts that I had just forgotten about.

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, the problem with the games isn’t that they’re bad at presenting exploration for the player to do. The problem with them is that they’re serious technical messes with terrible writing so most of the value that comes from the experience is what the player makes from it, not what the developers actually built.

I can’t objectively prove that Fallout 3 and 4 aren’t well written (they are objectively technically deficient tho), but I’m just saying that “this game is bad” isn’t the same as “I don’t like this game.” I mostly enjoyed my time with Fallout 4 for all its faults, and it was the settlement system that ultimately drove me away, not the terrible writing.

Both Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 I think have the same story issue where you ask, "What are the villains' goals?", and you can't get a real definite answer. The Enclave wanted the water purifier in Fallout 3 for..some reason (you can say FEV, but have issues with that point). In Fallout 4, the 'villain' I felt was Father and the Institute, but I never really got a clear idea of what their goal was in my playthrough. I think you have to specifically side with them to figure out what they plan to do (which I think was nuke the wasteland and repopulate it with synths or something).

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 3, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Max Wilco posted:

I've done that, too. They do make mention of Ulysses in all of the DLCs, so I thought maybe there was an explicit reference to something at the end of Honest Hearts that I had just forgotten about.

Joshua graham mentions that you're not the courier he was expecting and then he mentions that to get to the Mojave via the north the Legion needed to take the path through Death Valley because of what happened at the Divide cutting off the land route both ncr and legion aimed to control.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

nine-gear crow posted:

Now I’m not saying Tony Goldmark deserves to have an entire shipping box full of dildos delivered to his front door one day... but it would certainly be funny if it did happen.

I think that a trust-fund kid in his thirties is screaming about theme park rides should have been a very large warning sign that only madness lies down this path. Tony's always struck me as only caring about the money. He said a few weeks ago he had no fucks to give about the other ex-CA members badmouthing the company because he himself had no bad stories to share. And now with everyone jumping ship it looks like he's only considering leaving now because it'll be toxic for his brand and wallet if he stays associated with them.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Lightning Knight posted:

skyrim is not great at presenting exploration to the player. like oblivion, the dungeons look extremely samey and the over-reliance on levels loot instead of unique artifacts makes actual exploration wear out its welcome very, very fast. the exploration in post-morrowind elder scrolls games has been my biggest issue with them.

mind, i did still like skyrim and i will certainly say it was better than oblivion in this (and every other) regard, but the exploration still never really felt worthwhile. considering exploration was the thing that made morrowind for me, that's kind of a big deal. it's a large part of why, despite me having enjoyed my one playthrough of skyrim, i've never been able to go back to it at all despite trying twice. meanwhile i still revisit morrowind a few times a year, and still find real cool unique poo poo i'd never seen before even though i've been playing the game for some 15 years.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, I've heard all about Bugthesda from people but when I played the game I never experienced any sort of real problems? So I can't really comment on that. I had more problems with New Vegas freezing on me as well as this glitch in Dead Money that made me constantly lose health, even outside of the EVIL FOG.. (I've only played both games on consoles. Hopefully, come July, I'll be playing Tales of Two Wastelands on my nice new gaming PC)

So I won't argue that. I also won't argue the writing was stellar in FO3, although I still think it did some great things. I mentioned earlier teh Tenpenny/Ghouls quest. I've never seen anything like that in any WRPGs I played. It made the world feel so much more alive and it really fitt eh atmosphere of FO3. The main story and infamous ending is obviously a big problem. But I played FO3 in 2015 and I liked Broken Steel quite a bit so I never experienced the just anger of the early players Sort of like how I didn't play Skyrim back when all your money could just vanish. That's some bullshit

I guess it just depends if the pros outweigh the cons for you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Tenpenny/Ghoul quest is on par with an average quest in New Vegas. Some of the Casino questslines get downright labyrinthian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The new Lindsey Ellis hobbit video is much more in depth and behind the scenes than the first one, I highly recommend it.

• Locked thread