Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
It’s generally the only way of moving large amounts of stuff through the dessert. Once you get out of the eastern states of Australia there’s one east west track that’s super far south and and northe south line that runs up the middle. There’s a loving huge amount of space outside of those so having one truck that can hit multiple places is a bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: the real fun way to transport them is to just attach the base of the blade to the truck and have the rest of it just hanging out there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cnHui4pFBU

Jesus poo poo wouldn't you be proper hosed if a slight breeze comes along, on that mountain where you're building a wind farm? That's sumo wind surfing. Through power lines. Along the gorges :gonk:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

moving large amounts of stuff through the dessert
Australia sounds delicious:allears:

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
That was probably a publicity stunt. Most road trains are only 3 or 4 trailers long.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Australia sounds delicious:allears:

I’m just making up for all the times I’ve come across the desert menu

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I’m just making up for all the times I’ve come across the desert menu

I get pretty excited at the sweet trolley, but never to that extent.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

OSHA Roads: been playing Ghost Recon Wildlands (set in a semi-fictionalised Bolivia) and discovered the Death Road, which in-game is a two lane blacktop road that winds some nasty switchbacks over a sheer drop to one side, no guard rails. I was intrigued enough to look to see if it was real IRL, and lol there’s some bumhole-nipping photos of a single-lane mud road that has around 300 deaths a year.

Phone posting, so no pics but do google it :prepop:

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
My sister used to live in the Northern Territory where road trains are very much a thing. They tend to move slower than everyone else so they’re pretty good at letting you know when you can go around. The grey nomads aren’t so great because they don’t have the view to be able to say for sure if it’s safe but attempt the same thing. Until a few years ago the highways where unrestricted but they’ve put a 130km/h limit on things which is still faster than anywhere else in the country

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD_m-2X6_u8

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NoneMoreNegative posted:

OSHA Roads: been playing Ghost Recon Wildlands (set in a semi-fictionalised Bolivia) and discovered the Death Road, which in-game is a two lane blacktop road that winds some nasty switchbacks over a sheer drop to one side, no guard rails. I was intrigued enough to look to see if it was real IRL, and lol there’s some bumhole-nipping photos of a single-lane mud road that has around 300 deaths a year.

Phone posting, so no pics but do google it :prepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXLxszv9eCM

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Automatic Retard posted:

That was probably a publicity stunt. Most road trains are only 3 or 4 trailers long.

Yea they sometimes do ridiculously long road trains for world record attempts. The current record is 113 trailers pulled by a single prime mover, the entire road train was 1,474.3 m (4,836 ft 11 in) long and it moved 150 m (490 ft).

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/longest-road-train

I think this might be it:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Yea they sometimes do ridiculously long road trains for world record attempts. The current record is 113 trailers pulled by a single prime mover, the entire road train was 1,474.3 m (4,836 ft 11 in) long and it moved 150 m (490 ft).

When you wanna recreate scenes from the movie Convoy but none of your friends are online. :v:

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Ah, come on Guinness... if they only move 10% of the length of the train how can that be considered a success.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Improbable unless he somehow took out several geographically distinct cables simultaneously: https://www.submarinecablemap.com/

From a few pages back, but I live about half an hour from where the Southern Cross Cable Network comes on shore. Well, at least the California part of it: https://www.submarinecablemap.com/#/submarine-cable/southern-cross-cable-network-sccn

I have a pic of it somewhere, but the actual cable(about as big around as a utility pole) is uncovered about 300 feet up the beach. I've literally tripped over it while walking my dog at the ocean. You could probably setup a portable band saw and really gently caress that thing up, since it's just sitting there. That, or some redneck with some tannerite and a penchant for felonies. By the looks of it, I could really gently caress up the PUBG lobbies in Australia if I managed to damage that cable.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
"Here now - you left Coober Pedy with a dozen trailers, but now here in Glendambo you only have eleven? What sort of drongo do you take me for?"

"Er... a dingo ate it?"

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Why the hell was a road train robbery not in any of the mad max movies?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Budgie posted:

Ah, come on Guinness... if they only move 10% of the length of the train how can that be considered a success.
Yeah that's always annoyed me about that record. It's a record about a practical thing, I want to see the longest one that can actually be used. It doesn't have to be a regular trip, it can still definitely be a publicity stunt, but it should at least be able to travel between two places a normal road train would actually stop.

If it doesn't actually have to go anywhere useful, then given enough gearing the only real limiting factors are drawbar strength and traction available at the tractor.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It should at the very least travel it's own length, 150m is complete bullshit.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

What is a MAN? A miserable pile of debris.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
How does a road train refuel/carry fuel?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VanSandman posted:

How does a road train refuel/carry fuel?

They usually have as many tanks as they can fit on the frame, usually around 2000 liters.

They don't actually use a whole lot of fuel on flat ground. maybe 1-1.5km per liter.

Along routes where the trucks are allowed, there are fuel stations that can accommodate them.

There are parts of canada now allowing crazy combinations like triple 53s and queen city triples. on roads built for single 53' trailers.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://i.imgur.com/9BUxWof.mp4

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

impressive, i don't think i could've made a pile of sticks blow up like that even if i tried

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Prav posted:

impressive, i don't think i could've made a pile of sticks blow up like that even if i tried

That's what they thought. Gasoline vapors give no fucks.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Raskolnikov38 posted:

a couple of years ago while visiting DC I rented a car to go to Gettysburg and ended up getting back to DC around 5pm

I will never drive in the DC area again after that

DC is bad, but DC is kindergarten to Atlanta's PhD program. I swear to christ I saw Tom Hardy strapped to the front of someone's Accord going down 75/85.

This is one of the reasons I love my wife; on a long road trip I hate hate hate poo poo like DC, but she loving thrives on it. To the point where, driving from MA to NC, she decided to detour through Manhattan just to say she had. All fighting cabbies and winning down 42nd street. Later in the same drive, driving through the district and the 395 spaghetti-bowl craziness during rush hour because "The beltway is boring" during our 14 hour marathon slog. Bless that woman.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
That's why you always leave a note use diesel!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
My favorite part of driving through the Australian outback is the sheer volume of roadkilled kangaroo gore coating the road.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

DC is bad, but DC is kindergarten to Atlanta's PhD program. I swear to christ I saw Tom Hardy strapped to the front of someone's Accord going down 75/85.

This is one of the reasons I love my wife; on a long road trip I hate hate hate poo poo like DC, but she loving thrives on it. To the point where, driving from MA to NC, she decided to detour through Manhattan just to say she had. All fighting cabbies and winning down 42nd street. Later in the same drive, driving through the district and the 395 spaghetti-bowl craziness during rush hour because "The beltway is boring" during our 14 hour marathon slog. Bless that woman.

It’s entirely possible to cruise through Atlanta so long as you fastidiously avoid the seven-hour rush hours every day. 6:30-10 AM, 3:30-7 PM.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

AFAIK, the thing about Guinness World Records is that you have to be the first to do something, not that it is useful or necessarily impressive. When a WR is impressive is because people have been trying and breaking that particular record for a long time, and then naturally raising the bar to something impressive.

I don't know if the 1Km road train would have blown out its engine trying to move another Km, but it likely didn't need to if they were setting the WR for the first time.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I love headlines like these

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.15581a793122

Good thing for regulation-light states like Kansas

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

wolrah posted:

Yeah that's always annoyed me about that record. It's a record about a practical thing, I want to see the longest one that can actually be used. It doesn't have to be a regular trip, it can still definitely be a publicity stunt, but it should at least be able to travel between two places a normal road train would actually stop.

If it doesn't actually have to go anywhere useful, then given enough gearing the only real limiting factors are drawbar strength and traction available at the tractor.

HardDiskD posted:

AFAIK, the thing about Guinness World Records is that you have to be the first to do something, not that it is useful or necessarily impressive. When a WR is impressive is because people have been trying and breaking that particular record for a long time, and then naturally raising the bar to something impressive.

I don't know if the 1Km road train would have blown out its engine trying to move another Km, but it likely didn't need to if they were setting the WR for the first time.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

hailthefish posted:

It was a "witch window" joke because I forgot this was the OSHA thread and not the Crappy Construction(?) thread.

Aww I was hoping you had sorcerous tips and tricks for bricks

revolther
May 27, 2008
Train Truck Hybrid thing from Sierra Nevada's California railspur last month. Can haul like 9 cars fully loaded with grain. The wheels drop down and the locomotive engine powers them, thought it was kinda cool.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/981090176368857089

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

BLYAT

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I’d say this is pretty OSHA

https://twitter.com/Lavrusik/status/981259304408788993

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

PewPewdipie

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

revolther posted:

Train Truck Hybrid thing from Sierra Nevada's California railspur last month. Can haul like 9 cars fully loaded with grain. The wheels drop down and the locomotive engine powers them, thought it was kinda cool.

That is.
http://www.railking.net/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

God drat it, I just texted a friend that exact thing saying he wanted his channel back.

He replied, “why the gently caress isn’t there a live YouTube stream?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Well, they did just de-monetise a lot of people with gun fetishes.