Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

MrYenko posted:

I wish I could loving exclude chargers that are inside car dealerships. It seems like 90% of even our J1772 chargers are at dealers.

I think pretty much all car dealerships are cool with you using their chargers even if you aren't a customer. Actually I was trying to find a place to charge a while back and there was a free 50kwh charger at a car dealership that they noted was open to everyone 24/7, also it was a CCS/CHAdeMO charger except plugshare noted that the CCS cable was not installed I guess since it was a Nissan dealer and they couldn't be nice to almost everyone else with an electric car in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

An EV charger in south Florida has a roughly 30% chance of having an ICE car sitting in it when you get there. At a dealer charger, that rate approaches 100%.

Also, if I’m charging at a dealer, I have to be at the loving dealership.

gently caress dealerships.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am in Indianapolis and chargers are pretty much at every Kohl, Staples, Mall, Whole Foods. They are level 2 but my 40 mile range leaf I am going to buy for $2,000 and drive for free will find them all. The power company had them in sweet downtown spots where you could charge for less than parking but they got yanked out cause people were mad about me parking on Friday nights in a reserved spot for 75 cents. That is until stupid Volts started showing up and hogging the spots. I need that juice to have heat you jerks!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

That is until stupid Volts started showing up and hogging the spots. I need that juice to have heat you jerks!

This is why I have never bothered using public charging spots in my Volt. I don't really need it. And combined with the Volt's glacially slow 3.6kW charger using any public charger that charges by the hour makes zero financial sense. The only ones that I ever travel near cost $1.50/hour or more. The Volt takes at least 4 hours to fully charge from empty, with a full charge costing at least $6. I can fully charge at home for $1.10!

It also helps that living in Greensburg (~60 miles south east of Indy) there are basically zero public chargers within a 50 mile radius.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
In Detroit, the mid-level execs and the engineers like to drive up to Traverse City or over to Grand Rapids on the weekends to drink wine or beer. Or at least they like to imagine that they can.

That's either 250 or 150 miles, and that's what they want out of their EVs. Anything less doesn't feel worth it for the people who make design decisions.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Speleothing posted:

In Detroit, the mid-level execs and the engineers like to drive up to Traverse City or over to Grand Rapids on the weekends to drink wine or beer. Or at least they like to imagine that they can.

That's either 250 or 150 miles, and that's what they want out of their EVs. Anything less doesn't feel worth it for the people who make design decisions.

Living in metro Detroit, I agree with this. Both Traverse and Grand Rapids are cool and legit.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Elephanthead posted:

That is until stupid Volts started showing up and hogging the spots. I need that juice to have heat you jerks!

Get a bigger/new battery.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Elephanthead posted:

I am in Indianapolis and chargers are pretty much at every Kohl, Staples, Mall, Whole Foods. They are level 2 but my 40 mile range leaf I am going to buy for $2,000 and drive for free will find them all. The power company had them in sweet downtown spots where you could charge for less than parking but they got yanked out cause people were mad about me parking on Friday nights in a reserved spot for 75 cents. That is until stupid Volts started showing up and hogging the spots. I need that juice to have heat you jerks!

You are still going to have a charger at home, right? Because unless you have a level 2 charger at work or a level 1 that you can charge overnight at home you will probably be one of the many that learn the hard way that public level 2 charging is not practical for everyday use.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

Biggest problem with public EV charging / parking I've found are:
1. EVs parked in EV charging spots but not charging. In SoCal, that means it's going to be a Tesla of some sort.
2. Non EVs parked in EV charging spots. Usually a Prius or other non plug-in hybrid.

I'm glad that we don't have to rely on public charging, but when I can get it, I'll take it. I've given up on getting charge while at the local Whole Foods though, it's a goddamn clusterfuck trying to get a spot there.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

kimcicle posted:

Biggest problem with public EV charging / parking I've found are:
1. EVs parked in EV charging spots but not charging. In SoCal, that means it's going to be a Tesla of some sort.
2. Non EVs parked in EV charging spots. Usually a Prius or other non plug-in hybrid.

I'm glad that we don't have to rely on public charging, but when I can get it, I'll take it. I've given up on getting charge while at the local Whole Foods though, it's a goddamn clusterfuck trying to get a spot there.

Yeah, EV charging spots has somehow turned into "VIP parking for smug envirojerks". One way to plan around this is to always have the charging spots as far away from the main entrance as possible.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ola posted:

Yeah, EV charging spots has somehow turned into "VIP parking for smug envirojerks". One way to plan around this is to always have the charging spots as far away from the main entrance as possible.

Just went to the new local Publix which has two spots right up front. One had a Nissan Sentra in the Handicapped EV spot, and the regular EV spot had a BMW 330 in it.

gently caress people, forever.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I would park directly behind them and run the charging cable to my car.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

MrYenko posted:

Just went to the new local Publix which has two spots right up front. One had a Nissan Sentra in the Handicapped EV spot, and the regular EV spot had a BMW 330 in it.

gently caress people, forever.

Key it :shrug:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Ola posted:

I wonder how many people would consider one of those really short range PHEVs like the Prius or big SUVs that Audi/Mercedes/Porsche do just to use those parks. I mean they’re technically plugins after all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dissss posted:

I wonder how many people would consider one of those really short range PHEVs like the Prius or big SUVs that Audi/Mercedes/Porsche do just to use those parks. I mean they’re technically plugins after all.

If they get HOV status in California, they will sell like hotcakes.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I would love to see Toyota make a hybrid Tacoma, but I'm not sure the typical Tacoma customer would even look at it unless they called it the No Homo edition. Full electric would be even better, but even less likely.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would charge my 12-mile range Prius plug in at every store that had a plug.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I've never plugged my CMax into a public charger.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I plugged my Volt into one of the only public chargers in the area (at a Walmart no less) a few months ago. Paid $3 for ~18 miles worth of charge. Not exactly a bargain. Just did it to say I did. Took 15 minutes to setup the drat EVgo account as thier website kept screwing up.

Never again.

If the Volt had a 7.2kW charger it might make more sense.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
my dad bought a volt and his new hobby is using four different apps to find free charging

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

my dad bought a volt and his new hobby is using four different apps to find free charging

Don't tell him about Volt Stats. He will start his own group.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Don't tell him about Volt Stats. He will start his own group.

At least volt stats is working again. Due to the general shittiness of OnStar it was broken for about 4 months straight.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

This is interesting. A guy drives a Tesla down the same stretch of highway as the recent crash, and his Tesla tries to do the same thing. It's getting confused by the white line on the left side of the road, as the appropriate one is faded. It starts following what is actually the right-side line of the exiting lane as though it's the left-hand line of the through route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVJSjeHDvfY

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm surprised (not really) that they didn't push out a patch for that particular exit on the night of the crash specifically so that this wouldn't happen.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Lawyers

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dissss posted:

Do the spots say "for use while charging only" or "plugins only"? I suppose this whole public charging thing needs some trial and error. A lot of people really think society should give them VIP treatment just because they've dialled their planet destruction down to 9.

The best place I know of at the moment is a parking garage in Bergen, Norway. Entry/exit is based on old school paper ticket and gates, but there's also a license plate reading system. You can register your license plate and credit card in an app, and the billing and gate opening happens automatically. Then there is a second area inside the parking garage where there are charging connectors. This uses the same license plate reading system, so when you drive in there, you are billed for charging on top of the parking fee, whether you connect or not (with a suitable grace period if you don't find a spot etc). So you are incentivized to move your car when it's full and the "extra cost here" sign keeps idiots out. The rates are very reasonable for EVs. If you use it regularly, it maxes out at $76/month (will probably go up later). Max charging speed is 7 kW, rates are $1/hour in the daytime, $0.50 evenings and Sunday. Oh and if you try to be clever and drive in there without registering, they'll bill you manually.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ola posted:

Oh and if you try to be clever and drive in there without registering, they'll bill you manually.

The ol’ university trick.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Spoke to the Tesla delivery coordinator. Monday the 16th I die in a horrible autopilot accident get my car. :toot:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Here is a wild idea maybe don't let your car drive you into a median divider.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Electrek posted:

Tesla confirmed 8,180 Model 3 vehicles delivered during the first quarter 2018.

That’s over twice as many as the next best-selling all-electric car in the US, GM’s Chevy Bolt EV deliveries, which reached 3,375 units over the same period, as we reported earlier today.

The Bolt EV is officially the next best-selling all-electric car in the US, but the Model S and Model X are likely second and third, which would mean Tesla most likely has the 3 best-selling electric car models in the US.

https://electrek.co/2018/04/03/tesla-model-3-best-selling-electric-car-us/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are they double counting all the 3s that had to be re-delivered from the service center after showstopper fixes?!?

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

Are they double counting all the 3s that had to be re-delivered from the service center after showstopper fixes?!?

Must be.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'd believe the Easter Bunny over Bloomberg, so take their numbers with a giant fist full of salt.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
So..... basically every bit of data that even Bloomberg is using shows Bloomberg are underestimating production. Gotcha

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Please remember that we wouldn’t even be worried about production numbers except a) Tesla hosed this up gigantically and b) they only release official figures quarterly as opposed to everyone else’s monthly.

(Though GM is going to move to quarterly numbers soon so don’t hold that against Tesla too much.)

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
So our buddies at Ford are preparing to mercy-kill their cars and ramp up crossover/SUV production and Jalopnik writers believe GM isn’t far behind. That’s probably why Ford is working on an electric SUV first, as they see no future with cars, and GM is forcing the “crossover” label on the Bolt despite the fact that it’s a loving hatchback.

Now the real question in my mind is “do the Big 3 take crossover EVs seriously to the point where they put real R&D into them if gas prices spike like they did back in the early-to-mid 2000’s, or do they keep pumping out the same hot garbage and get caught with their pants down while the Europeans, Japanese and Koreans rip them to shreds, resulting in Bailout 2.0?”

Also this makes Tesla the only American manufacturer of cars I remotely give a poo poo about, so whoopee. :(

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:wtc: that's dumb as hell

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Manufacturers are just responding to market pressures. The only people who have the money to buy a new car are fat old farts who can't bend over, so they build stupid tall bloated cars to suit.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Great, now millennials are killing the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I seriously dislike SUVs (I drove a rental GMC Terrain for a week and it was awful) but compact SUVs are awesome if you've got a kid. My wife and I were totally happy with our Toyota Yaris but once we had a kid we realized that we needed something that was easier to get her in/out of and that could hold a stroller/portable high chair/diaper bag/the million other things kids need. We didn't need something huge, just a little bigger.

Youths in general seem to be gravitating towards the crossovers and compact SUVs for similar family reasons, or because they want a car that they can drive their friends around in that will be comfortable for the people in the back seat (the Yaris was also awful at this).

If designed correctly, compact SUVs can even feel, dare I say, sporty--my Soul clearly wants to be thrown around corners like my Yaris did (though I've never done it for fear of rollovers).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 4, 2018

• Locked thread