Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A better use of time and money than a minis game.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Holy shiiiiiiit this is like one of the only nostalgia products I am just sincerely 100% about.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

I've always wanted this since I was a kid.

Uhhhhhhh I guess I don't have to eat this week. :v:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I've always wanted this since I was a kid.

Uhhhhhhh I guess I don't have to eat this week. :v:

Yeah, my friend had this and he never wanted to play it.

Do I dare realize the dream?

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
Can this somehow be the thread title?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

Yeah, my friend had this and he never wanted to play it.

Do I dare realize the dream?

It's taken £60,000 since I posted. A lot of people are realising the dream.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

This looks much better than the original. Except are the bridges still trapped? That’s important.

These guys need to remake Dark Tower or the Omega Virus.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

DalaranJ posted:

These guys need to remake Omega Virus.

I would absolutely slam my credit card into that kickstarter

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Buying this for my sister's kids. Yeah, that's it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DalaranJ posted:

This looks much better than the original. Except are the bridges still trapped? That’s important.

Polygon just posted an interview with the head designer about the companies efforts to adapt and update the game https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/3/17192544/fireball-island-remake-board-game

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

DalaranJ posted:

OH man. My friends had Dark Tower. What a great game.

We had Omega Virus and I'm still mad we left the batteries in and the speaker corroded. That was a fun game!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

They remade Stop Thief!, and obviously I would love it if they did Dark Tower (cf. the avatar), but this page has links for the iOS/Android apps and a Tabletop Simulator mod. Dark Tower is . . . sadly not that good, in modern terms.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah Dark Tower is very much a product of its time. But that ART!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

homullus posted:

I want it to be "coupniverse" but that looks terrible in print.

It sounds worse out loud than it looks in print. Nobody should be saying "Cooniverse" in public.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

moths posted:

It sounds worse out loud than it looks in print. Nobody should be saying "Cooniverse" in public.

you're just jealous that you didn't think of it

moths
Aug 25, 2004

"Couponverse" is a perfectly acceptable substitute.

It's still better than "the dystopian future universe" or whatever the official branding is.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

moths posted:

"Couponverse" is a perfectly acceptable substitute.

It's still better than "the dystopian future universe" or whatever the official branding is.

The officially is literally The Dystopian Universe.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

homullus posted:

They remade Stop Thief!, and obviously I would love it if they did Dark Tower (cf. the avatar), but this page has links for the iOS/Android apps and a Tabletop Simulator mod. Dark Tower is . . . sadly not that good, in modern terms.

I have a copy of Stop Thief! and I'm really impressed by how they modernized the mechanics. The box came out a fair while before the app did, but that's not totally surprising.

A friend has a functional Dark Tower and likes to pull it out every so often. It's... not good by today's standards, no, sadly.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Bring back VCR gaming.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Bring back VCR gaming.

You can still play it with time stamps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woJVCOEoVCM

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Also, the Restoration Games team already includes the guy who originally designed The Omega Virus.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Golden Bee posted:

Bring back VCR gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_739DxrMOs

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
A Kickstarter for an interesting looking deck-building game just launched

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Warning: anime.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Thank you so much for this.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Anime aside, I just can't get excited about deckbuilding as a standalone genre in the year of our Lord 2018.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Merauder posted:

There's a degree of separation that should be considered though when it comes to publisher vs designer, though. Say what you will about Jasco's handling of the actual Mega Man KS campaign (IE, it was super late is basically all I know from it), but the game quality rests pretty heavily on the designers (and maybe a small bit of ownership on the part of the publisher in the sense that it reflects their taste/sensibilities). As for "they are poo poo", i'm not sure if there's any other issues people have with them beyond the mediocrity that is Mega Man, so feel free to elaborate on that vitriol if there's more.

Street Fighter isn't from the same guys who did Mega Man, but they are first-time board game designers, so who knows. I'm a big fan of the brand and the stuff they've shown look pretty stellar, but I haven't heard much at all about actual game play; just watched Joe's public pitch video in which his enthusiasm certainly shines through if nothing else. So I'm sitting cautiously optimistic on the fence, hoping the game actually looks playable.

My local Board Game cafe, develops games for Jasco (Lynnvander), (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Board Game , Dragon Ball Z: The Board Game Saga, Cowboy Bebop: A Game of Bounties
Street Fighter Vs. Dark Stalkers: Combat Board Game, Deep 5, Albion’s Legacy , Sherwood’s Legacy , Neverland’s Legacy, Gascony’s Legacy , Miyamoto’s Legacy and a Conan one coming soon) they have a HUGE megaman display in the retail area that is collecting dust. Universal Fighting System display is about the same, I have never seen anyone play it but they have tons of product on the racks keep trying to push it. The guy who runs the show is addicted to starting kick starters but seems to being doing okay. They also have a ReAnimator game that was kickstarted recently for Dynamite and he picked a fight with Brian Yuzna on facebook after he made comments about Dynamite's IP theft regarding the comics and game. They are also kick starting this soon https://www.theterminatorfans.com/terminator-genisys-rise-of-the-resistance-board-game-kickstarter.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Last day for Flying Circus!

It's been discussed in this thread before but of course it's important to me personally because one of the stretch goal settings is mine.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Is there anything to this game besides being anime thunderstone/ascension/star realms/etc?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I don't know if this has been in this thread yet but Vincent Baker (Apocalypse World) is running The King Is Dead which looks like a more focused Fiasco that works as a party game. It's already funded!

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Zurui posted:

I don't know if this has been in this thread yet but Vincent Baker (Apocalypse World) is running The King Is Dead which looks like a more focused Fiasco that works as a party game. It's already funded!

Has anyone played the version from his Patreon? Curious about how it plays.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
That Map Deck looks rad as hell.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Yes, I played King is Dead at the last convention here - it's pretty sweet. It's almost a toolkit for freeform that worked really well for me - you have a variety of verbal minigames to play with a framework around terrible things happening between your kingdoms while people plan, and scratches that 'oh this looks fun I'm going to cause trouble THIS way' itch.

There's also an arthurian fairyland romance game on the same engine also on Baker's patreon which I'm itching to try out with my very-sporadic Monsterhearts group.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

BinaryDoubts posted:

Has anyone played the version from his Patreon? Curious about how it plays.

The last three episodes of the Counter/weight arc on Friends at the Table are a version of Firebrands, which seems to be the basis of The King is Dead. It's not a strictly by the book version, but it's something.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Eric Vulgaris has posted a couple of King is Dead playthroughs on his channel. I'm phoneposting so no link, but should be searchable.

I'm actually kind of disappointed that the KS version seems to be something quite different, but still interested enough to back, so.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey all! My Kickstarter for Dead in the West has made around 43% of its goal with 11 days to go. I have a Q&A on RPGnet and on Nerdarchy coming up - was wondering if there's anywhere big I'm missing I could be promoting. I heard that a lot of Kickstarters tend to make 50% of what they're asking for in the last 48 hours - does anyone know if this holds any water for RPGs?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think the 50% figure is mostly the bump from the REMIND ME feature. But that might apply more to a project that's already funded and well into stretch goals already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
The better rule of thumb, in my experience, is that your last 48 hours gets you about as much as your first 48 hours, more if you built a lot of buzz during the campaign.