Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/PgGQK2w.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

SomethingJones posted:

Imagine streaming a game and the community manager for the game comes in your chat and starts telling which words you can and cannot use to talk about the game.

Here's a helpful pro-tip for SC streamers - next time that happens, tell Lando to go gently caress himself.

Now imagine I made a supercut of all the times the word 'sale' has been used in hundreds of CIG marketing videos.

This is why Lando is the face of the company(companies?) right now instead of Ben (is fat). For all the bad stuff that could be attributed to Lesnick, you had to admit he had really bought in to the whole Roberts game lore to a greater extent than is healthy and far more than seemingly anyone else. Ben actually cares about all of this poo poo, whereas Disco will say and do whatever looks likely the keep him sucking at that teat for as long as he can. Ben probably knows what a clusterfuck it all is better than most which is why it seems he's reverted to his Wing Commander fan-dom safe space. He's fat too.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

Imagine streaming a game and the community manager for the game comes in your chat and starts telling which words you can and cannot use to talk about the game.

Here's a helpful pro-tip for SC streamers - next time that happens, tell Lando to go gently caress himself.

Now imagine I made a supercut of all the times the word 'sale' has been used in hundreds of CIG marketing videos.

amen. did you notice how they all like backed off a touch on the criticism the second their overlord jumped in chat started firing questions. (except for the main brit guy in top left) freaking pathetic. Communist pinko scumbag

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

that should be the new SC tagline:

SC
big brother is watching

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

zcrow posted:

Jeez. Are they modelling gravity on a per object basis? It looks like he's able to walk over the surface as if it has a gravity well in the center of the boxes...

It's the new argon.

(Wonder if that explains this chair from before: TERRAPIN CENTRAL "RADAR" CHAIR HAVE A MAGNET EFFET)

e: Although it looks more like there's just one crazy gravity focal point right at the centre? Is XK not joking about teleporting into the middle of a star? I could believe anything at this point...

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 3, 2018

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Moma, list your fleet again.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

SomethingJones posted:

I'll start you off...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-xa9j7xvws&t=1609s

27.32 Crobbler lets the cat out the bag. So the last year thing is also a lie.

Dooguk fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 3, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Getting engine units <-> real life units is always a huge pain on larger scale games (and even just art direction if you don't want stuff looking awful). Floating point numbers only have so much precision and there's also only so many bits for z-buffer etc. AFAIK at least Unreal has some sort of guidence and support (world composition/automatic level streaming). I think larger-scale games usually do some sort of unit conversion between world space and actual rendered objects which can introduce weirdness in collision and all sorts of things. Something like a space-scale game is a loving nightmare tbh and it's amazing Star Citizen works as well as it does. :jeb: actually works surprisingly well but even that game uses a lot of tricks and had/has tons of bugs.

CrytekCigTekLumberyard is an extra nightmare on top of that and the forever death march CIG forces on devs and you get the amazing... thing... that is star citizen.

And that's the thing. Good developers can make good games despite the limitations of the engine. KSP is a prime example. There's tons of bugs, but the game-breaking ones are patched out and the more humorous ones are left alone in favor of getting the rest to work. See also: Dwarf Fortress, the original Pokemon games. Both of them work, but if you know what you're looking for, you can poke them in a certain way and break the entire game over your knee.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dwarf Fortress isn't a game, it's a semi-sentient being created over years, against all odds, without version management.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Dooguk posted:

I'll start you off...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-xa9j7xvws&t=1609s

27.32 Crobbler lets the cat out the bag. So the last year thing is also a lie.

Chris Roberts:
"The concept sale starts next week"
- 15th Feb 2018

Maybe Lando ought to be watching CIG's marketing videos instead of sitting at home in his underpants chastising streamers for using the WRONG WORD to talk about the game.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

iospace posted:

And that's the thing. Good developers can make good games despite the limitations of the engine. KSP is a prime example. There's tons of bugs, but the game-breaking ones are patched out and the more humorous ones are left alone in favor of getting the rest to work. See also: Dwarf Fortress, the original Pokemon games. Both of them work, but if you know what you're looking for, you can poke them in a certain way and break the entire game over your knee.

KSP is the best game about space and Scott Manley is the best youtuber about space.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

AP posted:

Moma, list your fleet again.

We don't use the word 'fleet' anymore, we use the phrase 'longer term concepts'

Moma please list your longer term concepts so that I can have a good laugh

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
The Reddit upvote bots seem to be working well.

Good job Goons

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Bayonnefrog posted:

amen. did you notice how they all like backed off a touch on the criticism the second their overlord jumped in chat started firing questions. (except for the main brit guy in top left) freaking pathetic. Communist pinko scumbag

We don't use the word 'criticism' any more, we use the phrase 'valid community feedback for a product still in alpha'

So yes, I noticed that they backed off a bit on their valid community feedback for a product still in alpha.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

SomethingJones posted:

He's just :airquote:managing:airquote: the :airquote:community:airquote:. Streamers are a part of your community and they obviously needed to be managed into sticking to the talking points.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

his nibs posted:

The Reddit upvote bots seem to be working well.

Good job Goons

We don't use the word 'bots' any more, we prefer the phrase 'artificial quasi-sentient scriptomongs'

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bayonnefrog posted:

I watched the chat. He said they use "promo"

Folks think of this: the community person in a $180mil game comes onto a 50 person viewship twitch chat to quibble with the streamers about "sale" vs "promo" Unbelievable. I have nothing but contempt for Scam Citizen and it's backers. I hope Crytek cleans them out. Then goes after the top two buffoons' personals just for fun.

It's amazing. So I decided to let them know, by signal boosting it

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/981151680489230336.html

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

We don't use the word 'bots' any more, we prefer the phrase 'artificial quasi-sentient scriptomongs'

Have edited the relevant ops brief to suit o9

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Krycek posted:

He's just :airquote:managing:airquote: the :airquote:community:airquote:. Streamers are a part of your community and they obviously needed to be managed into sticking to the talking points.

You get to do that if you have hired them. You don't get to do that if they are fans streaming the game.

So which is it CIG

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
We don't call them 'backers' anymore, we call them 'lifestyle enhancement providers'.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

KSP is the best game about space and Scott Manley is the best youtuber about space.

Preach it.

SomethingJones posted:

Joking/not-joking think I found my next account name.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

Taking that as a given, I guess.... but they already sold stuff. They sold stuff for years. There's no possible way they can change the wording now and escape any kind of liability, they've been shouting SALE SALE SALE from the rooftops for half a decade.

Tell that to Jared.

----------------

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

It's amazing. So I decided to let them know, by signal boosting it

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/981151680489230336.html

LoL signal boost. the only people who read your twitter post in this thread.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

Taking that as a given, I guess.... but they already sold stuff. They sold stuff for years. There's no possible way they can change the wording now and escape any kind of liability, they've been shouting SALE SALE SALE from the rooftops for half a decade.

Yeah, it actually doesn't matter the words you use; you could refer to a completely new method of commerce called 'Nancy', it's either covered by existing law or it isn't. Suggesting that not using the word 'sale' somehow identifies goods-for-services or promises of services as something other than a 'sale' is mascot level thinking.

The whole conversation about pledge vs sale, for example, relied on a 'definition' rather than the intent, when the law itself is _all_ about intent.

Slightly more seriously, I think Jared snarks about things quite a lot and he's taken a bit too seriously on the thread because of it. I feel that he's a little more self-aware than most. I get the impression that he facepalms quite a bit when the cameras aren't on him.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

iospace posted:

I've been doing that for decades. Nobody even noticed :grin:

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 3, 2018

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Lladre posted:

LoL signal boost. the only people who read your twitter post in this thread.

Not entirely. You are failing to appreciate those fine folks like IQ Derek, Logic Corp, and Tark among his avid reader base.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Oh that's new...

https://arronfalderson.wordpress.com/2018/04/03/star-citizen-3-1-personal-review/

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

DapperDon posted:

Not entirely. You are failing to appreciate those fine folks like IQ Derek, Logic Corp, and Tark among his avid reader base.

....except they're all blocked.

----------------

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hey Derek, when are you gonna sue Montoya?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

big nipples big life posted:

Hey you'll notice that Montoya doesn't say anything about Derek anymore. Ever. I imagine that's because he got his rear end chewed.

Stop trying to lay down this incredibly tepid burn, you retard.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

DapperDon posted:

Counter point. They all read this thread as well.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

"Game?.. No no no, 'game' is your word, we never call it that, we call it a 'Motion capture animated movie'! "

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

D_Smart posted:

....except they're all blocked.

And yet they all find their way into your Twitter. They will NOT be denied access to your scripture Dear Goonsir.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Shadowlyger posted:

Hey you'll notice that Montoya doesn't say anything about Derek anymore. Ever. I imagine that's because he got his rear end chewed.

Stop trying to lay down this incredibly tepid burn, you retard.

Are you trying to snag AP's job?

lmao

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

After I had a rather nice but short discussion pointing out to the guy that Derek can and will send him to the poorhouse in legal bills no matter what the outcome would be, Monty decided that his attempts to slapfight with our Warlord just was not going to be a winning strategy.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Nebiros posted:

Unless I'm remembering it completely wrong immediately after waking up. The Engine as built has an upper limit on map size. :pgi: found out while making MW:O that while making a big stompy robot game, that those maps weren't big enough and tried shrinking the player down. This caused some interesting issues with the engine, like clipping through the wall and floors through collision, collision bugs etc. If this doesn't sound familiar, you can read about it in my April blog, you'll have to sift through my rambling tangents though.

Joking aside? :pgi: resolved the MW:O issue by making your player character tiny and the mechs something like 4-6 feet tall. You're part of your vehicle while you're in it, so it works out for dicking with scale. There's not a guarantee, but the idea started with the knowledge from PGI combined with the similarity of the issues they ran into, combined with CIG being complete and utter trainwrecks. Whether it's true or not doesn't matter. Just like it doesn't matter that MoMA isn't Toast, it's just a running joke as much as anything, true or not.

Something something Double Precision at the cost of performance. Like Arma, so I've read. So I'm not sure they have scaled things down.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

DapperDon posted:

And yet they all find their way into your Twitter. They will NOT be denied access to your scripture Dear Goonsir.

Indeed, that's because you guys unwittingly let them in. Hence this...

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/980799437328015361
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/980801976165392384

It's amusing to me that they put so much effort into stalking me online. Using alts, VPN etc, then reply to my clueless followers while tagging me. That's the ONLY way they end up in feed. So now I'm banning ANYONE who does that.

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 3, 2018

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

That's the first review as such that has appeared in the wild.

So a rear admiral backer is giving it a 2 out of 5, calling it below average but thumbing up the graphics.

Can't help but think back to when Frontier took ED to Steam, amidst some protest from backers. The Steam reviews averaged out to a steady 60% positive and pretty much stayed there at least until the last time I looked.

CIG have a bespoke storefront that wouldn't translate to Steam- imagine what the Star Citizen Ship Store would look like if you could leave a review?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Indeed, that's because you guys unwittingly let them in. Hence this...

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/980799437328015361
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/980801976165392384

It's amusing to me that they put so much effort into stalking me online. Using alts, VPN etc, then reply to my clueless followers while tagging me. That's the ONLY way they end up in feed. So now I'm banning ANYONE who does that.

If it's amusing then why are you blocking folks? And calling the ones that DO support and read your things as "clueless" and then blocking them as well sounds pretty tone deaf and a real dickish thing to do. What gives kemosabe?