Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the new map has buses too which seem like a death trap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

Wow he was teaming, too!

Grimmmz and Anthony are good boys. They would never cheat. :kiddo:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SpaceBanditos posted:

So the pro strat is.. don't shoot, hope everyone kills each other and then the last guy is too torn up and you can pick up an easy win.

Sounds like lovely gamplay to me but that's pubg.

This is core, fundamental truth of every single FFA style game. There's no way to get away from the fact that hiding and letting other people kill each other is always the best strategy in any game that has more than two teams.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Lemming posted:

This is core, fundamental truth of every single FFA style game. There's no way to get away from the fact that hiding and letting other people kill each other is always the best strategy in any game that has more than two teams.

How many games are FFA/had more than one team but aren't scored entirely by kills?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

How many games are FFA/had more than one team but aren't scored entirely by kills?

I'll add the caveat that I'm talking about last man standing style FFAs, where once you die or run out of lives or whatever you're out (like in any RTS or smash Bros etc). If your core gameplay mechanic is that you want to be the last one left, you want to fight as little as possible because every time you fight you risk being eliminated, but if other guys fight then someone who is not you is getting elite eliminated but you didn't risk anything yourself.

The only mitigating factor for this in pubg is the kill ranking which is a meta game ranking which encourages you to play in a manner that lowers your chance of winning any given game in favor of getting a better score that raises your rating across games.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Lemming posted:

The only mitigating factor for this in pubg is the kill ranking which is a meta game ranking which encourages you to play in a manner that lowers your chance of winning any given game in favor of getting a better score that raises your rating across games.

This is wrong. If you kill someone quickly, they can't kill you later. You are not nearly the master of strategy you believe yourself to be.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Would you disagree with the basic idea "don't engage unless you think you will have an easy kill or you dont see a choice"?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

This is wrong. If you kill someone quickly, they can't kill you later. You are not nearly the master of strategy you believe yourself to be.

from your literal op at the start of this thread posted:

What is the optimal strategy to win?
The best strategy I've come up with is to release your parachute really high and go to a far away location that has decent loot, but minimizes the chance of competing with someone on the ground. Then you find a vehicle and drive it to the next zone and hide it so it's not stolen. Camp with a shotgun. Repeat when the next zone is out of your area. It's really boring though.

I am dead

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

Would you disagree with the basic idea "don't engage unless you think you will have an easy kill or you dont see a choice"?

I mean, that would give you little opportunity to improve your actual shooting skill, so its up to you. Ultimately, most of the people in this thread who tell you to play passively still have a less than average win ratio. The people who are hunting kills more often than not have a higher than average win ratio. So I'd say its probably not optimal strategy.

Lemming posted:

I am dead

Most of the OP is just the worst of the worst quotes I could find from the first thread that were vaguely on topic and usually from players with less than a week of experience.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 3, 2018

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

This is wrong because my aim is terrible and they just turn around and kill me.

(Doesn't stop me trying though.)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I thought it was commonly accepted itt that how you play to practice or warm up isn't the same as how you chase the chicken on a particular run.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The only times I don't engage are when it's too far away for my gun/scope or I have zero cover near me. And even then, I attempt to make the situation better for myself by getting closer, or finding cover to start my interaction in order to eliminate you. Otherwise I am going to try and kill you immediately. Killing people gives me more stuff and removes you from the game. Yes, the highest chances to kill people are when they are engaged with other people or you are sneaking up and stalking an unknown enemy. If you are good, you can out-aim people and eliminate them, though.

Lemming posted:

I am dead

Did you read the OP? It's pretty tongue in cheek imo.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Been playing the new map, and enjoying it. I'm still crap, but doing slightly better than I thought I would. I figured all the try-hards would go for the keys. I've not been hot-dropping, but the map is so small that you increase your chances of dropping with others. If the plane is fairly central, you can parachute to pretty much any location.

I think they must have upped the loot, because I treat this as shooting range / weapon practice now. Can get really kitted out very easily, often with a Kar98 (even silenced) with 4 or 8x. The trouble is, in the top 20 everybody else is geared, with good armour and plenty of meds.

I really prefer the new circles. They move more slowly, but shrink more often. It's a bit harder to get caught out.

Hope they add duos and squads soon though. I've been enjoying the speccing my killer feature, just to learn the map a little more, and today I've seen three teamers. Two instances in the same match.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I think there is some kind of sub-regional match making. Me and a buddy tried to team in the experimental client last night, but were unable to get into the same game. We tried probably like 15 times, and could never match together. He's West Coast and I'm East. Meanwhile Grimmz and kongphan were doing it non stop.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 3, 2018

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

VulgarandStupid posted:

I think there is some kind of sub-regional match making. Me and a buddy tried to team in the experimental client last night, but were unable to get into the same game. We tried probably like 15 times, and could never match together. He's West Coast and I'm East.

Don't they have that ping locking mechanism?

The two streamers you mentioned are both west coast (I think).

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 3, 2018

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I thought it was commonly accepted itt that how you play to practice or warm up isn't the same as how you chase the chicken on a particular run.

I think they were taking what I was saying as an attack on the game or something and responding to that because strategically I don't think it's controversial at all

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

today I've seen three teamers. Two instances in the same match.

Grimmz strikes again. Keep working to git gud like me and you can strike him down despite his cheating.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Jack B Nimble posted:

This has actually been a big sticking point for me. I will engage people and not kill them because I don't have patience to make sure I'm in a favorable position. For example a few days ago I jumped into the Observatory, got some really good gear and then headed over to the two smaller houses north. I was standing on the edge of the cliff that overlooks the two houses. I saw someone come out onto the porch. We engaged but he was able to duck back into the house, after firing off a couple rounds out of the back on a motorcycle. About 5 minutes later that same person was able to flank and kill me in Pochinki. I doubt that guy knew it was me that engaged with him earlier, but if I had been more patient I might have been able to bait him into a more open position that would've been favorable for me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Honestly the biggest danger I find in fighting isn't dying to that guy, it's the half dozen people you didn't even realize were nearby who 1) become aware of you 2) stalk you 3) ambush and kill you.

This is because I'm a fool who doesn't know where people "should be". I just stare wildly at tree lines and roof tops like a U.S. soldier a half second from a war crime.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Evilreaver posted:

Goddamn Frontlines was a good game, rip

How many games have literal RC bricks of C4, RC minigun tracked drones and such as class loadout tools?

yes yes, we all want Battlefield: Bad Company 3

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Think of it this way. There are very few places in this game, outside of buildings and sometimes the walls around them that will provide cover from multiple directions and almost never protecting you from opposite sides. Eventually, you will have to move and if there's guys on both sides of you, you won't have a lot of safe places. If you kill one side, then you can at least take cover at certain points against the other side. You want to avoid getting pinched, which means even if you survive the initial you run to cover, but can't find a safe space to heal because you're being shot at from both sides.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 3, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

new map looks like exactly what the game needs but lol at not even putting WIP textures on some areas.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

new map looks like exactly what the game needs but lol at not even putting WIP textures on some areas.

I think that's a better practice (together with grid textures) than putting a rushed WIP texture, because the amount of placeholder-looking lovely textures that make to a final game is incredible. Blizzard often leaves entire buildings gray-tinted in Beta so players know that's not the case.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Frankly I'm surprised none of the areas on the map were named, "TEMP_TOWN_NAME"

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, you wouldn't want your lovely temp textures to be the focus of the criticism you receive on the new map. Like when you're doing layout design, you use Lorem ipsum so that people don't spend a bunch of time commenting on the copy.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Tweak posted:

Frankly I'm surprised none of the areas on the map were named, "TEMP_TOWN_NAME"

What about Brokeback?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

I think there is some kind of sub-regional match making. Me and a buddy tried to team in the experimental client last night, but were unable to get into the same game. We tried probably like 15 times, and could never match together. He's West Coast and I'm East. Meanwhile Grimmz and kongphan were doing it non stop.

Anthony lives in Kansas City now, though. It's a little closer to east coast than west and their servers are supposedly in Oregon and Virginia.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Savage squads is nutty. Constant fighting, I love it.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
God forbid a texture is not properly set or finished on the "Closed Experimental Server"

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I hope 'seeing the first circle' pre-drop doesn't make it live.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol at this complaint

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Been trying solo squad and being a bit more aggressive. It's helped a lot to get me to move around more instead of hiding in rooms afraid to make noise. Won a school drop with 6 kills, then another 3 on a squad driving by.

Been a fun change of pace, though. It's really satisfying to take on a full squad solo and walk away the victor. I got 2nd twice, but am still bad at locating people before they've already started firing on me. My latency makes it hard to peek since by the time I see them they've already started shooting at me.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

mcvey posted:

I hope 'seeing the first circle' pre-drop doesn't make it live.

Is that a thing? At least on the new map, first circle doesn't matter. It's so big, you'd be unlucky not to be in it.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Any of you also encountered magic invisible bikes? Yesterday a bike that I had just ridden became invisible to me when my duo partner mounted it. I couldn't see or hear neither the bike nor him. I couldn't even see the bike when he dismounted it again. It was like it was removed from the game from my perspective. Later in the round another team used it and they disappeared from my perspective as well. My duo partner who was dead and spectating me at this point was yelling at me to shoot them since they were right in front of me but I couldn't see them and they were apparently free kills :(

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The only magic I’ve seen from a bike is the curse that makes it catapult me off the seat and kill me for no discernible reason.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

csidle posted:

lol at this complaint

you could at least put a grey one up.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Groovelord Neato posted:

you could at least put a grey one up.

Checkerboard placeholders are indefinitely better than solid color bullshit that totally fucks with depth perception.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Of all the thing the devs get wrong, the appearance of a semi public alpha map isn't one of them.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The elephant in the room of the new map, is Bluehole's garbage netcode completely breaks down for the first 5minutes of every round. Watching shroud play the map and repeatedly die when no one has line of sight on him is pretty telling.
I know the base game gets bad (250-300ms fire lag) but it seems noticably worse on the new map with all the extra people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

You may or may not be talented at clicking on guys, but your general stance on this couldn't be more wrong. Given PubG's mechanics, if your singular goal is to last as long as possible, you should avoid all other players as much as possible.