Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Legion's coming April 3rd, this tuesday and screeners of the first four episodes have been sent out. Sepinwall has his season 2 review up. Very mild spoilers, but his conclusion:

quote:

Everyone’s bar between what’s considered audacious and what’s mere self-indulgence will be in a different place, and the show I find myself describing in this review seems like one I should rapidly lose patience for. Yet as I was watching, whatever qualms I had about whether the story was leading anywhere, whether I had any investment in who these people are and what they want, were quickly brushed by the joy I felt at seeing and hearing how each scene was put together.

All sizzle, no steak is usually not a recipe I enjoy for very long. But holy cow, does Legion season two sizzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Very glad to hear. If you're gonna have trashy not-really-x-men tv shows that are only allowed to vaguely gesture towards the x-men then you might as well be hella stylish and fun about it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I think it's the 17th in the UK. So not much of a delay but I will come and bug the thread two weeks after it's finished I guess.

night slime
May 14, 2014
That seems like a whiny review. They didn't explain everything in four episodes? Omg.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
They barely explained anything in like 6 in the first season and it's still top 3 TV shows I can remember lately

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Intel&Sebastian posted:

They barely explained anything in like 6 in the first season and it's still top 3 TV shows I can remember lately

Yeah, weird take when it's a show like Legion.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wasn't it fairly obvious what was going on by about episode four last season? Honestly, I wish the first season had been more complicated. The story was really quite simple and there weren't many surprises to be had past the halfway point.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wasn't it fairly obvious what was going on by about episode four last season? Honestly, I wish the first season had been more complicated. The story was really quite simple and there weren't many surprises to be had past the halfway point.

It was obvious, but Trump is president so adjust your expectations accordingly.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I started rewatching the first season. That first episode that seemed to be wild trip actually makes complete sense on rewatch but it is actually so stylish but also charming. The afformentioned Shes like a rainbow scene is really sweet.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In case you needed more hype, AV Club's s2 pre-review is positively glowing.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Is it tonight yet?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Still no idea how I'm going to watch this season since the Fox affiliate that aired it over here can't stop talking about The Walking Dead (their Twitter account is embarrassing :lol:). Legion is one of the few series I'm still excited about.

I actually spent some time this week updating my "inspired by" Legion playlist. I removed most of the avant garde/headache inducing songs and made it a bit more shuffle friendly.
https://open.spotify.com/user/booshmee/playlist/2XlzFxy0LBDHr0FXzwxHe9

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

By far the best last-season recap I've seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AKCautrK-U

night slime posted:

That seems like a whiny review. They didn't explain everything in four episodes? Omg.

Sepinwall sucks

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TV Reviewers are a shallow pool, but Sepinwall does a better job than most of clearly explaining where's he's coming from and having a wealth of TV knowledge to pull from.

What's great about that teaser is that the actor who plays David is using only one of the American accents he has used in the past in other media, and I'm pretty sure that is not his native British accent as well.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

Sepinwall sucks

I like Sepinwall a lot, but I think Peak TV (and specifically the streaming model of "13 part movies!") is driving him insane.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
My body is prepared for Legion, season 2, a show that is cool and good.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I've been watching Atlanta on the website for free, anybody know if they do the same for Legion? If so, is it available same day?

night slime
May 14, 2014

El Jeffe posted:

I've been watching Atlanta on the website for free, anybody know if they do the same for Legion? If so, is it available same day?

Pretty sure I saw a Legion promo with "FX Now" or whatever it was called being advertised. I don't know anything about it or if it's available same day though, sorry. I watch it on Xfinity on demand.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

night slime posted:

Pretty sure I saw a Legion promo with "FX Now" or whatever it was called being advertised. I don't know anything about it or if it's available same day though, sorry. I watch it on Xfinity on demand.

Unless something is radically changed, it will be available next day through the app. Same as the On Demand services with cable providers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Last season Hulu ran it the next day, which I didn't find out about until after I bought the season pass. Not sure if the deal still stands this year, but hopefully

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Thanks dudes.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
That teeth chattering thing is really drat creepy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Who is narrating?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

David got his own cerebro. Just like dad. :allears:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That scene was wonderful.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Dance off!!!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I love how this show looks and I hope we get more and more set pieces. More dance offs too.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

This scene was bizarrely entrancing.

Which is feel describes Legion a lot by itself.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Please stop showing the chattering people.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yessss, White Rabbit :okpos:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
No matter what you do to the song, White Rabbit will always be cliched

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Who is narrating?

Cresits said Jon Hamm!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe, but I'm a sucker for it every time.

And John Hamm was the narrator.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

That scene in The Game was amazing, actually.

Edit: you are correct of course because there are plenty of othet drugs.txt songs you can choose. Ie anything else by any other SF band in 1967 or whatever without having to go back to the White Rabbit well again.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 4, 2018

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Honestly it felt overindulgent. I liked the marienbad titles reference. I clapped I clapped when i saw it i applauded it for being different it broke new ground i clapped when i saw the floor pattern in david's dream room i know what that is

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So I watched one episode in the middle of last season just to see what all the hype was about, and felt it's plot was slow moving which wasn't so bad considering similar shows have done that kinda stuff, but didn't at all get the constant weird artsy showboating that took up too much time, and made the Fargo TV series's random philosophizing seem restrained and normal by comparison. Deffo getting the same feeling with this episode, and I have a feeling it's not about plunging headfirst into a second season on a show like a fish out of water. Is this something I have to get over or is this the show's MO?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shitenshi posted:

So I watched one episode in the middle of last season just to see what all the hype was about, and felt it's plot was slow moving which wasn't so bad considering similar shows have done that kinda stuff, but didn't at all get the constant weird artsy showboating that took up too much time, and made the Fargo TV series's random philosophizing seem restrained and normal by comparison. Deffo getting the same feeling with this episode, and I have a feeling it's not about plunging headfirst into a second season on a show like a fish out of water. Is this something I have to get over or is this the show's MO?

I cannot think of a dumber way to get into a show like this then watching a random first season episode and then diving into the second season. The constant weird artsy showboating is something you'll have to get over but it also makes a lot more sense when you are actually following along from the beginning.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

I cannot think of a dumber way to get into a show like this then watching a random first season episode and then diving into the second season. The constant weird artsy showboating is something you'll have to get over but it also makes a lot more sense when you are actually following along from the beginning.

Funny that, because I think I actually get the plot despite showing up so late and how weird the iconography is, I just wish there wasn't so much weirdness to obfuscate what seems like a cut and dry story, and all these attempts to be deep when the actual content is absolutely not that. Feels like Preacher's quirkiness on steroids or something, and even that show's attempts at humor could get too big for its britches.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Loved the premiere, love that the show's back. Dance off was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I was just waiting for Hunter S. Thompson to appear in the dance club scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJNsc7vkYlQ