Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

ToaU was the best story. Fight me.

ToAU best story, RotZ best villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

ToaU was the best story. Fight me.

I'm doing it right now. Maybe the story ends up being great but there's a lot of "wait until next Vana'diel day" in it which makes it somewhat annoying.

I hear this used to be "wait until Japanese midnight"?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just started playing this game again after 12 years and I need to know: how the hell do I disable the mount music? Why would you do this to me, SE? Why would you deny me your mastercrafted zone music for...that...

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

QuantaStarFire posted:

I just started playing this game again after 12 years and I need to know: how the hell do I disable the mount music? Why would you do this to me, SE? Why would you deny me your mastercrafted zone music for...that...

You can't. People have been asking for this for years

There is a windower addon, setbgm, which allows you to manually choose what music is playing. That's the best you can do

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

How long would it take to run through enough Abyssea to see its storyline by myself?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

At 119? Like an evening

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X

Paladine_PSoT posted:

At 119? Like an evening

at sort of 119 could i ostensibly solo briareus on nin/dnc to finish kannagi? Sans trusts that is. Never did finish it. I was able to duo him reliably and had seen him solo'd but i mean by someone who has no spellcast/etc and hasnt played in several yars

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

At 119? Like an evening

Are things like Rani viable solos at entry-level 119 gear?

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Everything in Abyssea is really easy at 119. The only thing that can get you is special moves.

Rani is soloable as long as you never take hate from your trust tank since it cannot be charmed. However, you will also have to do all the damage because trusts will just keep healing. Blue proc will be annoying if you are going for the ring.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That bcnm fight in WotG where the badguys hire your dimensional counterpart to try and beat you was hilarious. They ran out of good ideas, so they threw you at yourself.

Shinjobi has no problem whatsoever with killing himself.:shepface:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

taels posted:

at sort of 119 could i ostensibly solo briareus on nin/dnc to finish kannagi? Sans trusts that is. Never did finish it. I was able to duo him reliably and had seen him solo'd but i mean by someone who has no spellcast/etc and hasnt played in several yars

Yeah but get a thief trust to help with drops, th will make a difference with double helms and gigs pops.

If you have the leveled with some th gear use that.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Yeah but get a thief trust to help with drops, th will make a difference with double helms and gigs pops.

If you have the leveled with some th gear use that.
Yea I have all the sub 119 TH gear. I love just been refusing to get trusts cause it seems like it'll make poo poo super lame

Granted I'm playing on a dead server in prob the last real part ls on it so I really should just transfer

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

This game sucks soloing without trusts.

If any goons are familiar with writing addons or bots, PM me. Will pay, of course.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Paladine_PSoT posted:

At 119? Like an evening

I'm only 117 because I only recently hit 99 for the first time but I'm RDM/Nin so I'll probably be ok I guess

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

I'm only 117 because I only recently hit 99 for the first time but I'm RDM/Nin so I'll probably be ok I guess

What I did was do a few reives/coalition assignments (the courier ones are literally "teleport, talk to npc, teleport back") and buy all the 119 Bayld gear after hitting 117. Seems like I gotta spend the impiwhatevers anyway to unlock SoA missions, might as well put the bayld to use in the meantime.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 2, 2018

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Easiest way to get to 119 is to buy a VD ambu leech clear, which should give you enough points to get a starter 119 armor set and a good lead on a strong cape if someone uses a seal. Will also give you the clearance to make a JSE weapon for full 119.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I sat down tonight and thought "Hey I wonder if my LUAs are updated", 5 hours later I know WAY more about writing and operating gearswap scripts and I somehow feel cheated out of my game time.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Gearswapping and script writing killed this game for me. It's the reason I just screw around on private servers when I get the itch and don't play retail.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I just use ingame macro sets because i'm lazy as gently caress

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I can handle GearSwap but that's about the extent I'm willing to do.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Playing BLM before spellcast existed was horrible.

GS/SC was a huge boon for the game, but the PS2 limitations that required piles of gear was awful.

They should have ended PS2 support many years before they actually did and ported the code for PC.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I've been having a ton of fun on the Nasomi shard. Big influx of lower level players makes partying a breeze and the AH has lots of lowish level stuff at reasonable prices, and its possible to make money early on leveling in the right places. The server owner also added some NMs (I'm not sure what the diff is between them except that BCNM are every 10 levels and you need seals) that you see around in different zones. Everything works well, the only issue is one player completely ruined the price of Refresh so Red Mage is unplayable for most people and the class has been effectively murdered, so I'm gonna abandon my RDM in one level and level up WHM/BLM to 30 before going BRD.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Frog Act posted:

the only issue is one player completely ruined the price of Refresh so Red Mage is unplayable for most people and the class has been effectively murdered

Camp a taisai, scrub!

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

LiquidFriend posted:

This game sucks soloing without trusts.

If any goons are familiar with writing addons or bots, PM me. Will pay, of course.

What are you looking for?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I never finished the WoTG or Abyssea stories. So from what I gather from the thread, I'm pretty much good and never need to go back and do them, right?

I did Zilart, Promathia and Aht Urghan so I did all the good stuff I guess.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The questline missions in WotG are good. Abyssea is good. Do all the missions.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

I never finished the WoTG or Abyssea stories. So from what I gather from the thread, I'm pretty much good and never need to go back and do them, right?

I did Zilart, Promathia and Aht Urghan so I did all the good stuff I guess.

Abyssea has Prishe in it so it must be good

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I like the original missions for Bastok so far, they're well written and interesting. I also love the little things about this game, like the lady who gave me a travelers hat for bomb ash she needed to clean my chimney

Just hit 18 RDM and I'm gonna level BLM to 15, WHM to 20, then pick up BRD and run with it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Update: a weedy looking guy with eight viewers on his stream got mad at me for meleeing with my club in valkurm and put on a high pitched girly voice saying "la dee da I have to skill up durr durr"

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Frog Act posted:

I like the original missions for Bastok so far, they're well written and interesting. I also love the little things about this game, like the lady who gave me a travelers hat for bomb ash she needed to clean my chimney

Just hit 18 RDM and I'm gonna level BLM to 15, WHM to 20, then pick up BRD and run with it

Level DNC to 49, then switch to BRD/DNC dual-wielding daggers and singing/dancing your way to 99. Missions were so much quicker with Spectral Jig + Chocobo Mazurka zooming thru zones at high speed to find the next ??? or boss fight. Also Haste and Attack songs make your Trusts more powerful and throw a Refresh song on mages when they get low. Makes fights more interesting than just auto attacking nonstop.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Gammatron 64 posted:

I actually really liked the Abyssea storyline and wish it had more to it. But I'm also a COP fanboy.

WOTG is worth doing. It's not bad, I just rag on it for not being as advertised and being a huge missed opportunity for some super cool stuff. It's still decent as is though.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Frog Act posted:

Update: a weedy looking guy with eight viewers on his stream got mad at me for meleeing with my club in valkurm and put on a high pitched girly voice saying "la dee da I have to skill up durr durr"
FFxi players are terrible and will get insanely mad about the most insignificant things.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

frodnonnag posted:

FFxi players are terrible and will get insanely mad about the most insignificant things.

This is why soloing with trusts is actually the best thing.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

frodnonnag posted:

Yeah I can't see how meleeing in a group has anything but a net positive effect (besides building a tiny amount of TP for the mob) but apparently its Very Wrong

WarMECH posted:

Level DNC to 49, then switch to BRD/DNC dual-wielding daggers and singing/dancing your way to 99. Missions were so much quicker with Spectral Jig + Chocobo Mazurka zooming thru zones at high speed to find the next ??? or boss fight. Also Haste and Attack songs make your Trusts more powerful and throw a Refresh song on mages when they get low. Makes fights more interesting than just auto attacking nonstop.

I'm playing on the Nasomi private server so its only up to Treasures of Aht'Urghan, which means Corsair and...uh....blue mage I think? It doesn't have any of the modern conveniences so everything is group based without trusts or mercenaries or anything. I think its 2005-6 era.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
In that era of FFXI my buddy and I duo'd a lot as DRG/WHM and DRG/BLU. We would duo that BCNM 30 with the slimes that dropped Utsusemi: Ni to make gil. Good times.

Once they raised the level cap past 75 and added new abilities and Trusts, the solo DRG fell to the wayside. I kind of miss it.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Frog Act posted:

Yeah I can't see how meleeing in a group has anything but a net positive effect (besides building a tiny amount of TP for the mob) but apparently its Very Wrong

I'm playing on the Nasomi private server so its only up to Treasures of Aht'Urghan, which means Corsair and...uh....blue mage I think? It doesn't have any of the modern conveniences so everything is group based without trusts or mercenaries or anything. I think its 2005-6 era.

Low level. Who gives a gently caress.

High level, you'll set up a mob to tp spam and cause nasty poo poo as your whm hates you.

My current favorite thing: reminding everyone how op summoner is and getting hatemail for it.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

FYI: Scrolls like Utsusemi: Ichi, Warp, Drain, Aspir, etc. are now dirt cheap and don't bother questing that poo poo anymore unless you're a mega sperg.

Lowclock posted:

What are you looking for?
Looking for something to auto trade gobbie keys and cash out unity points for powders once the shards/void market tanks :v:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Well it's about time they added an alternate way to obtain those spells in case you, just for example, did the quests almost a decade ago and sold the scrolls because at the time you didn't plan on ever playing/leveling the job :v:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

LiquidFriend posted:

Looking for something to auto trade gobbie keys and cash out unity points for powders once the shards/void market tanks :v:
Okay. How much are you willing to pay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Lowclock posted:

Okay. How much are you willing to pay?
Depends on the complexity (how much stuff it automates) and what not. I don't have an exact price in mind.

Oh and it needs to be an Ashita add on, ideally as it works a lot better with multi-boxing than windower.