Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

He's been sold! Wee~! Thanks, friend.

I'll be making some cross-stitched monster emblems pretty soon. If you have any requests, please let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

my cat is norris posted:

I'll be making some cross-stitched monster emblems pretty soon. If you have any requests, please let me know!

Narga

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

suuma posted:

Cool I kind of figured it was broken into tiers, thanks.

There's so much to do in this game, my god.

I have I think almost 200 hours in and am still missing an 8 star optional quest, several mantles and boosters, and have not even touched the poogie stuff or arena.

Poogie hate me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
is clearly the best monster icon

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Narga's rad. This one is probably my favorite of his emblems.

Your Computer posted:

is clearly the best monster icon

Yes.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

chumbler posted:

I have I think almost 200 hours in and am still missing an 8 star optional quest, several mantles and boosters, and have not even touched the poogie stuff or arena.

Poogie hate me.

Yeah I basically spent a 2-3 hours per night for the last week farming Nergigante to make his armor + a lance, then finish off Xeno and make Perdition's Hand and I still have like 15 optional quests available + whatever I haven't unlocked. I then made the Xeno HBG without realizing it couldn't use half the ammo types. I have one palico gadget and no poogie outfits. 95 hours played.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've maxed all the gadgets and found poogie a lil hunter outfit but have still not reached the endgame stuff

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I just found out last night that the Plunderblade exists after I looked up how in the gently caress to get more Tziki Ya Ku claws to drop. I could have had that hours ago but didn't feel like standing around while Odoggo walks around the Vale.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I love that the Daora Insect Glaive is a squid! I really wish it wasn't such a bland weapon statwise. A lot of the Daora weapons are really cool looking.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jolo posted:

I love that the Daora Insect Glaive is a squid! I really wish it wasn't such a bland weapon statwise. A lot of the Daora weapons are really cool looking.

I still wish Daora and Teostra got redesigned armor/weapons. I went into World having no knowledge of Teostra at all and thinking he was going to make some badass horned lion-motif armor, only to be immensely disappointed.. At least Daora has some creative weapon designs but even then, nothing that's made from it looks anything like Daora.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I like Teostra's equipment. Very regal and refined, especially the palico armor. :cabot:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Dressing up the cat is the most important part of this game

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

suuma posted:

I gave him that urguaan hat and gently caress. How do I change from here?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not big on the toaster armor, but the weapons are cool and I wish there were more of them. Jeeves is the opposite with cool armor but lame weapons.

My palico wears the basic leather armor because it's actually the best.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I've been leaving my catte behind lately in an effort to git gudder. In a way it's actually easier this way because the monster doesn't run off unpredictably sometimes. The downside of course is that if I ever get stunned I'm pretty much guaranteed dead, but that's why I need to get better!

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Krinkle posted:

I gave him that urguaan hat and gently caress. How do I change from here?

The Radobaan outfit looks like a tiny cat-piloted space suit battlemech.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

suuma posted:

Cool I kind of figured it was broken into tiers, thanks.

There's so much to do in this game, my god.

To add something the others failed to mention: threat 2 monsters drop the most warped feystones (the highest tier, there's actually 4 tiers) Tempered elders have the highest chance for weapon streamstones as well as being the only source for hero's stones but have a lower drop chance for the good decorations as a result.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TaurusOxford posted:

I still wish Daora and Teostra got redesigned armor/weapons. I went into World having no knowledge of Teostra at all and thinking he was going to make some badass horned lion-motif armor, only to be immensely disappointed.. At least Daora has some creative weapon designs but even then, nothing that's made from it looks anything like Daora.

counterpoint:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

plester1 posted:

The Radobaan outfit looks like a tiny cat-piloted space suit battlemech.

it's basically a cat sized d.va mech

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
My wife watches me play this sometimes and insists that I load into the Research Base whenever I send my Tailrider Safari's off just so she can watch the video for it.

vvvv something something post/username/avatar, wow

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

suuma posted:

Yes.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Not being able to change your cat's armor pigment is a crime.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Yodzilla posted:

Not being able to change your cat's armor pigment is a crime.

My friend, I have good news.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh gently caress I completely missed that. Welp I guess I can call the police back and tell them nevermind.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have yet to find a cat armor I love more than the ladybug set. Also it's great that my cat is bopping monsters with a pretty flower and regularly paralyzing them for me and I can't give that up.

The other day the game gave me a random Palico instead of some Grimalkyne friends and it was also in the ladybug gear and having two catbugs was even better than just one :3:

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

my cat is norris posted:

Plesioth

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I think I must be missing quests. I can't seem to trigger the final fishing quest and no more gadgets are showing up in astera even though I know there are more boosters and mantles. Do I need to complete more missions maybe? Its all monsters I've fought before so I have been ignoring them.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

ZeusCannon posted:

I think I must be missing quests. I can't seem to trigger the final fishing quest and no more gadgets are showing up in astera even though I know there are more boosters and mantles. Do I need to complete more missions maybe? Its all monsters I've fought before so I have been ignoring them.

3 mantles are from doing the tempered monsters. For fishing guy, just look for piscine researcher in over world map and then hop to the zone. Cat gadgets are from all the cats in each zone.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Check your previous critical bounties and make sure you have 5 fishing quests completed. If you only see 4 or less, you need to find him again in the proper zones.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

suuma posted:

Are decorations completely RNG? It seems like the only stuff I get is +element attack, +defense, +element resist. Stuff that seems like you wouldn't ever use it but it fills a slot in the meantime because its "low rank".

I'm at the story quest where I have to fight two tempered bazel's, if that means anything. Just not sure if reaching some arbitrary progression point unlocks different decoration drops.

Modulo some trivial bucketized percentages, they are completely and utterly random. It's an abrupt and frankly saddening shift from focused and controlled grinding to pure RNG mechanics where you have no control over what will possibly drop. This is made worse by the Investigations mechanic where Good luck! getting into a useful investigation that has a chance of dropping what you want. Instead, learn to love the RNG which gates the Warrior/Hero Steamstones you need to upgrade your weapons to end-game tier.

I burnt out after receiving the 4th stone for Blades which I frankly have no interest in at the moment while sitting on one of the two I need for axe for hours and hours and hours to the point where I don't want to hit Vaal's face again if I can help it. Took all the preceding fun you out of the game for me because I was stuck with my crappy build unless I got one, switched weapons, or got lucky with Magazine or Artillery decoration drops (hahahahaha). You've already killed everything at this point, the fun is in the weapons and builds, not doing the same poo poo you mastered to get to this point ad nauseum.

The good news is you can cheat and "snipe" the melder. I finally broke and did this today because I was having no fun soon after Tempered Kirin (aside: still the best of the elders to me, its gimmick is quite transparent and fair, I think).

After about 3 hours of boredom sniping decorations, the game is way more fun again. I have made my first cool and interesting post game build around Peak Performance only and strictly only because I cheated and sniped a Magazine decoration which then let me swap out the awful Diablos CB meta for a far more fun and interesting Xeno Raatz build.

TL;DR: if you get bored of the decorations/Steamstones grind, Google decorations sniping and enjoy this great game again.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 3, 2018

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

When you hop around to where it shows Piscine Researcher on the map, check for the ! on the map when you load in. If it's a green dot, he'll just chat with you but the exclamation point means he has a quest for you. Same deal with the other researchers. I believe you get multiple quests from some of the researchers in the same area so it is kinda tricky to figure out where the next quest is. The endemic wildlife researcher gives you a quest to catch an animal that jumps tree to tree and also a quest to catch a floof bird in the Ancient Forest.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Jolo posted:

I believe you get multiple quests from some of the researchers in the same area so it is kinda tricky to figure out where the next quest is.

That's only true once the first 5 are done. There is one for each of the 5 zones, and then 1 final quest, which can be obtained in any of them.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Magus42 posted:

That's only true once the first 5 are done. There is one for each of the 5 zones, and then 1 final quest, which can be obtained in any of them.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jolo posted:

When you hop around to where it shows Piscine Researcher on the map, check for the ! on the map when you load in. If it's a green dot, he'll just chat with you but the exclamation point means he has a quest for you. Same deal with the other researchers. I believe you get multiple quests from some of the researchers in the same area so it is kinda tricky to figure out where the next quest is. The endemic wildlife researcher gives you a quest to catch an animal that jumps tree to tree and also a quest to catch a floof bird in the Ancient Forest.

Yeah that's what's odd I've completed the palico quests and the endemic life quest but the piscine guy refuses to give me the ancient fish quest. I mean I got 5 of em I just need the quest.

When do you get the affinity booster?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

ZeusCannon posted:

Yeah that's what's odd I've completed the palico quests and the endemic life quest but the piscine guy refuses to give me the ancient fish quest. I mean I got 5 of em I just need the quest.

When do you get the affinity booster?

So you have all 5 fish bounties completed?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Magus42 posted:

So you have all 5 fish bounties completed?

No sorry I'm being confusing. I have caught five of the ancient fish I just can't seem to get him to give me the quest.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Some of the quests are unlocked after successfully completing research on the monsters, and after hunting a certain amount of unique T1 and T2 tempered monsters. I have everything except the affinity booster and the evasion mantle and it's real drat annoying.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ZeusCannon posted:

No sorry I'm being confusing. I have caught five of the ancient fish I just can't seem to get him to give me the quest.

You need to complete the others (sushifish etc) to receive the quest for the ancient fish and have it count.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

ZeusCannon posted:

Which is why I keep asking have you finished all 5 of his other ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

ZeusCannon posted:

I don't think he'll give you the final ancient fish bounty until you've completed all of the other 5 fish delivery bounties.

e:f, b