Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Going back to keyboard-only controls after decades of KB+M setups feels like how I imagine marathon runners feel after becoming wheelchair-bound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mordja posted:

I beat Rise of the Woolball a couple days ago (it was delightful) and it got me thinking about its inspiration, Rise of the Triad. For anyone who's played both, is it an authentic tribute? Also: is ROTT, original or remake, actually good?
Haven’t played Woolball.

Rise of the Triad is OK but the tarted-up Wolf 3D engine quickly becomes tedious. The shareware is probably worth playing through to see if you like it. I actually prefer the ZDoom TC Return of the Triad because the level geometry feels like what the game should have been.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mordja posted:

I beat Rise of the Woolball a couple days ago (it was delightful) and it got me thinking about its inspiration, Rise of the Triad. For anyone who's played both, is it an authentic tribute? Also: is ROTT, original or remake, actually good?

david_a posted:

Haven’t played Woolball.

Rise of the Triad is OK but the tarted-up Wolf 3D engine quickly becomes tedious. The shareware is probably worth playing through to see if you like it. I actually prefer the ZDoom TC Return of the Triad because the level geometry feels like what the game should have been.

I'll also say to go ahead and play ROTT's shareware episode becausethat was definitely a case of putting your best foot forward. Maybe peek into the full game if you want more but don't be afraid to drop it. The remake was OK I guess. I say this even as a ROTT fan.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

spider wisdom posted:

Are there any decent old-school-centric FPS podcasts out there for background listening?

Have you been following Temin's LP? It's got over a hundred videos and is supremely informative, may as well have been a podcast if you leave it running in the background.

Wamdoodle posted:

The remake was OK I guess. I say this even as a ROTT fan.

I played for hours before realizing that reloading did nothing. :downs:

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 3, 2018

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
what if redneck rampage but more like redneck revolt

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

BEEP BEEP FUCKERS

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

NoneMoreNegative posted:

BEEP BEEP FUCKERS

Dope

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

NoneMoreNegative posted:

BEEP BEEP FUCKERS

That's a good avatar right there.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Kickstarter announcement, probably, but I'd also expect an announcement on the Discord as well -- it's part of the big SS1R progress update planned for end of week.
Oh, I thought the KS for SS1R wasn’t doing so well

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

What are some good single player Half Life 2 mods? Kind of been craving some fun source based single player games lately

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

BEEP BEEP FUCKERS

This is like every weekend on my old 95 machine as a kid smushed together :allears:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What are some good single player Half Life 2 mods? Kind of been craving some fun source based single player games lately

MINERVA is standalone and free and good http://store.steampowered.com/app/235780/MINERVA/

As for more moddy mods, SMOD is still one of the greatest things ever created and I think there's extra mods on top of this one if you really want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes http://www.moddb.com/mods/smod

Kicking people to pieces while in slow motion and throwing banana bombs everywhere while snarfing up gibs for health never really gets old.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm playing GMOTA mod for Doom. It's pretty cool!

But there is one thing that I'm not sure I'm understanding it well. In some chests I find some times a subweapon, that I can use with the secondary button. But it always replaces the previous one. Can I select which subweapon to use? I tried the weapon keys, the inventory keys, but no luck so far.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Shoehead posted:

This is like every weekend on my old 95 machine as a kid smushed together :allears:

Quarantine was so fun.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm playing GMOTA mod for Doom. It's pretty cool!

But there is one thing that I'm not sure I'm understanding it well. In some chests I find some times a subweapon, that I can use with the secondary button. But it always replaces the previous one. Can I select which subweapon to use? I tried the weapon keys, the inventory keys, but no luck so far.
IIRC Subweapons act like in oldschool Castlevania where you only have one at a time.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Chinook posted:

Quarantine was so fun.

Yeah it was, but that's Carmageddon.

Edit: Only 90's kid, Kemo City burnouts will get this.

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 3, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Kins posted:

IIRC Subweapons act like in oldschool Castlevania where you only have one at a time.

Uh. I was fearing that. IMO it's pretty un-Doom, depending of the situation, you should be able to select the shield if you need to reflect shots of enemies you can't reach, or select the magical bomb if there are a ton of enemies in a room, etc. Although, it works even more differently than I thought, as there is a number together the subweapon icon, and that number increases if you for example take a second Warhammer, I thought there were consumable items, in some way. But they persist.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah, getting repeats increases the maximum amount and if you deplete them to zero they get refilled back to the maximum after a few seconds - there's not even a mana cost. They're completely free.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

THE BAR posted:

Have you been following Temin's LP? It's got over a hundred videos and is supremely informative, may as well have been a podcast if you leave it running in the background.

I played for hours before realizing that reloading did nothing. :downs:

2nd-ing that Temin's LP is great.

ROTT Remake talk: I like how overblown and flashy the reloading is on the dual pistols. Slamming the clips while in midair then pulling the slides back single handed. I do it just for fun :ocelot:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I wasn't really sure what it was from, but it definitely reminded me of Quarantine which was totally my jam in 1994 or so.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You guys should watch Ross's Game Dungeon episode on Quarantine. And his one on Strife.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Arcsquad12 posted:

You guys should watch Ross's Game Dungeon episode on Quarantine. And his one on Strife.

You guys should watch Ross's Game Dungeon. And LGR.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arcsquad12 posted:

His best (thread relevant) episode imo is Realms of the Haunting

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

realms of the haunting is a really surreal fps/point and click/fmv experience and i recommend supergreatfriend's lets play of it to get probably one of the most comprehensive looks at the game out there since it kind of sucks to actually try and play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZdaz0dj7GI

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

skasion posted:

His best (thread relevant) episode imo is Realms of the Haunting
Personally I really like his one on Deus Ex, though my favorite episodes of his overall are probably the Diablo clone ones with Dungeon Siege and The Chosen - or maybe just Armed & Delirious.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Maabus episode is also awesome. What an amazingly crap game.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

skasion posted:

Hey cool, I've been trying to find the name of this game for over two decades

Now imagine a couple of gradeschoolers trying to crack that nut :psyduck:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think his best episode is actually the one on Bip-Bop 2 and 3 if only for the absurd lengths he goes to to get a hold of the third game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Johnny Joestar posted:

realms of the haunting is a really surreal fps/point and click/fmv experience and i recommend supergreatfriend's lets play of it to get probably one of the most comprehensive looks at the game out there since it kind of sucks to actually try and play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZdaz0dj7GI

uiuhh please tell me this is still on gog

edit: https://www.gog.com/game/realms_of_the_haunting hell yeah it is, thats my weekend sorted.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

After looking at the last Cacoawards, I'm playing now Shadows of The Nightmare Realm, it's pretty good!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i decided to turn some demos into movie files i can watch and i just want to double check before i get too far in that glboom+ is the only ogl based (read: has enhanced graphics support) source port that has the viddump feature right?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

site posted:

i decided to turn some demos into movie files i can watch and i just want to double check before i get too far in that glboom+ is the only ogl based (read: has enhanced graphics support) source port that has the viddump feature right?

It's also the only polygon renderer port that has vanilla demo compatibility. Your options are limited on both ends.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay cool now i feel less bad about only thinking to ask 3 hours into my exports

ty

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Edit: Never mind, already posted.

Nition fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 5, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nition posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzU-84nEdnI

Ion Maiden.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/562860/Ion_Maiden/

Currently in Early Access. Build engine. Published by 3D Relams. Reviews are 97% positive.

I can't check the video, but didn't we all know this about a month ago, when it came out?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Yeah sorry, I got confused about the dates for a moment and you saw my post before I edited.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

skasion posted:

The best thing about that weird, super serious military FMV and CG game is it's preview trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i633LLohUOc

BUMDIGGIDIGGIDIGGI BUMDIGGIBANG :haw:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

QwertySanchez posted:

The best thing about that weird, super serious military FMV and CG game is it's preview trailer.

Bahaha what the gently caress

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Ion Maiden gets a new bonus game mode next Thursday, a survival/horde mode called Queen of the Hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmKSvotF1GM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

QwertySanchez posted:

lmao
Friend of mine loaned this to me when I finally got a PC in 1998, and I did not get very far in it before just playing a pirated version of Duke Nukem. It was clear early on that it would be one of those baffling games where you just blunder around doing every iteration of object interaction against a timer until Love Boat Captain gave you a thumbs up.

I brought it back to him and he shrugged and just said, "Keep it, I don't want it."